ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier has done himself in

Axelrod

Sep 10, 2003
With the lack of recruiting the past few years, our program is now in worse shape than when Spurrier took over. It is going to take at least four years to rebuild with top talent, and this coming recruiting effort has not started with a bang. I just don't think Spurrier has that much rebuilding time left in his career.

He was ever so close before to retiring. I've felt all along this year was his last year.

Who knows what the real story is, we'll never find out, but he did not want Muschamp coming in here because JR would not have been protected. That's just my opinion but I feel strongly about it.

Spurrier has protected his family professionally and financially too long and he's going to retire a very beleaguered man.

We don't have SEC caliber talent that's for sure...Taking a walkon and a true freshman on the road this week to a very hostile environment will be hit or miss...I wish us luck

He was ever so close before to retiring. I've felt all along this year was his last year.

Who knows what the real story is, we'll never find out, but he did not want Muschamp coming in here because JR would not have been protected. That's just my opinion but I feel strongly about it.

Spurrier has protected his family professionally and financially too long and he's going to retire a very beleaguered man.
Spurrier is the head coach. He and Tanner at this point have to be held accountable. Idiots continuing to blame Jr. for everything from play calling(where is the proof), recruiting, jock itch and everything else are what they are, idiots.

Reactions: mike48
Talent worse than it was when he arrived?

I lmao at that one. Are you still drinking and fall and bump your head?

We signed more 4* players last year then we've signed since Spurrier has been here. Yeah we had some lean years and should've landed better players at some positions, had some kids that didn't qualify, etc. But that is one of the dumbest statements I've read on here in a long time.

We have plenty of talent, they're just young and lacking in experience.

And anyone that wants to run off the coach that has brought us more talent, won more games, elevated the program finishing in the top 5 for the 1st and only time since the 80's, and brought us more national attention is just being asinine.

You might want to think about sleeping it off and sobering up, that is if you are still drinking...and I hope you are spewing these irrational thoughts.

We signed more 4* players last year then we've signed since Spurrier has been here. Yeah we had some lean years and should've landed better players at some positions, had some kids that didn't qualify, etc. But that is one of the dumbest statements I've read on here in a long time.

And anyone that wants to run off the coach that has brought us more talent, won more games, elevated the program finishing in the top 5 for the 1st and only time since the 80's, and brought us more national attention is just being asinine.

You might want to think about sleeping it off and sobering up, that is if you are still drinking...and I hope you are spewing these irrational thoughts.

Don't forget he has brought the facilities up to date, and found some big time donors.most of the ppl on here complaining haven't donated nothing but trash talk.

Don't forget he has brought the facilities up to date, and found some big time donors.most of the ppl on here complaining haven't donated nothing but trash talk.
Great point.

And people also seem to forget the personal donations he and Jerri have made. Not only financially but personally. And not just for athletics but academics as well. Plus their support for other sports. I wonder how many other coaches have donated and contributed to so much more than the sport they coach?

He's done more for this university than any coach we've ever had. There's no doubt in my mind he's as much of a Gamecock as he is the school that he played for, won a Heisman Trophy at and coached to a NC.

Last edited:
Great point.

And people also seem to forget the personal donations he and Jerri have made. Not only financially but personally. And not just for athletics but academics as well. Plus their support for other sports. I wonder how many other coaches have donated and contributed to so much more than the sport they coach?

He's done more for this university than any coach we've ever had. There's no doubt in my mind he's as much of a Gamecock as he is the school that he played for, won a Heisman Trophy at and coached to a NC.

We should thank him and wish him well...

Reactions: G-C-Gamecock
We should thank him and wish him well...

No, what we should do is be thankful enough to let him coach until he decides it's time to hang it up, keep him on in the AD as an ambassador of the program and university, continue to help with recruiting and advancing the programs progress with his wisdom and input, and let him enjoy the continuing success of the program he helped build...unlike the other school he played for and coached at.
I don't know why people believe his better days are past him. He's still one of the best out there. Just look around and it's fairly easy to see.

It may be a tough, and certainly unpopular decision, but in no way should he be allowed to coach as long as he wants. At this pace, this program will be God knows where if nothing changes. If it does continue this way, and he even has one shred of love for the program, he should leave anyway. He has done a ton for Carolina, no one could rationally argue otherwise, but I don't care who is the HC, past, present, or future, or what his resume looks like, none of them should ever be bigger than the program. Period. Enabling him become Bowden or Paterno 2.0 says to me exactly that.

Last edited:
It may be a tough, and certainly unpopular decision, but in no way should he be allowed to coach as long as he wants. At this pace, this program will be God knows where if nothing changes. If it does continue this way, and he even has one shred of love for the program, he should leave anyway. He has done a ton for Carolina, no one could rationally argue otherwise, but I don't care who is the HC, past, present, or future, or what his resume looks like, none of them should ever be bigger than the program. Period. Enabling him become Bowden or Paterno 2.0 says to me exactly that.

If I only had 28 post since joining in 2006 and just got my posting privileges reinstated I'd probably say the exact same thing.

You're just afraid he'll become our "Danny Ford". The only difference is Spurrier does things the right way.

STHU and go to bed.

Yes, Dad. I knew you wouldn't have a logical comeback, but then again why would you after 6000 posts? And who said my ability to post was ever revoked? As far as the Danny Ford comment, that makes absolutely no sense, and I never hinted SOS was unethical.

Reactions: G-C-Gamecock
This thread permitted several (but certainly not ALL) of the worst of the worst to 'talk among themselves' (give it up, bigger/stronger - it can't be stopped) in a completely irrational way that seems more 'personal' than considered, perhaps some of all of them felt some 'slight' for whatever reason at some point somewhere but their reasons and reasoning for the opinions they've expressed on this thread make no sense whatsoever.
The 'worse shape than when he got here' comment is as bad as any assessment or criticism I've heard leveled anywhere and makes its spokesman sound like an honest to God fool.
The wealthy, the successful, the world's best all suffer yapping mongrels, as do politicians, popular people, intelligent people - in general SUCCESSFUL people who are envied and scorned by the less fortunate, less intelligent and less successful ... it has always been true.
When Lou Holtz was a YOUNG coach (a long time ago) he asked 'Bear' Bryant what he needed to do to be successful. Bryant told him " ... do what you think is right and don't worry about making friends or enemies. If you win your enemies can't hurt you and if you lose your friends can't help."

WIN? Before Spurrier arrived SC AVERAGED winning less than 5 games per year for our entire history. We'd had exactly ONE double-digit win season in our 120+ year history. In ten years Spurrier has given us THREE double-digit win seasons, plus a NINE plus an EIGHT with NO LOSING SEASONS EVER. In our entire history we had been to only ELEVEN bowls in more than 100 years and won just THREE of those. Spurrier has taken us to NINE bowls and won FIVE of 'em. His AVERAGE number of wins per season almost equals the 2nd best season record in our ENTIRE history behind 1984.
WIN? We didn't know what 'winning' was until SOS arrived. Spurrier racked up more wins against Clemson in LESS than a decade than SC had recorded in the TWO FULL DECADES before he arrived!!! NO WONDER Clemson supporters (and their sympathizers) continually cry "Get rid of Spurrier!!!"

Just let these idiots talk 'cause talk is all they can do. THAT (in and of itself) is an interesting facet of almost any subject matter (the 'inpact' of discussion) i.e., when a subject is scorned it almost always falls on deaf ears, when supported and praised it multiplies and becomes 'additive' to the special experience that is winning.

Save your breath BIGGER ... STRONGER - just let the envy mongrels slobber. Nobody that matters cares.

I will always be a Spurrier fan. That is never going to change because of what he has done for this university. I am also aware that the program is moving in the wrong direction. I would think that also falls at Spurrier's feet and on Tanner to a lesser extent. The fire is gone in Spurrier and I think we and him are just fooling ourselves to try to believe otherwise. He made a bold attempt to rekindle it in the off season but I just don't think he succeeded. I too think he is loyal to a fault and that is probably more so now than ever. You seem to try to take care of those you hold dear in the later years. I have seen it too many times and I see it here. Spurrier is a great man and wins and losses aside, he is not enjoying what he is doing. I have always said he will retire in his own time but this team and this season will take a bigger toll that all of us can imagine. In your youth you know that you always have tomorrow......in your later years you know you have to do it then and the fact that it's not happening drags you down quicker. I do not want Spurrier to hang on for 3 or 4 more .500 seasons. It's not fair to the program or his legacy. We are right for a change in coaching and program direction. We wait 3 or 4 more years and it will take a decade to pull us back......just my opinion.....and for the record, like most, I have been wrong more times in my life than right.

Reactions: BOBO4 and lostcock
It's interesting that both here and on TOS it is nearly a consensus that it's time for SOS to go. After only 2 games this season, everyone's eyes see the same glaring talent deficiencies and offensive chaos. Given these Boards are populated by the most fanatics and garnet colored glass wearers who are willing to go down with the ship, that should tell you something. The end is near. Welcome Coach Kirby Smart!

Reactions: gamecock ed
No, what we should do is be thankful enough to let him coach until he decides it's time to hang it up, keep him on in the AD as an ambassador of the program and university, continue to help with recruiting and advancing the programs progress with his wisdom and input, and let him enjoy the continuing success of the program he helped build...unlike the other school he played for and coached at.
I don't know why people believe his better days are past him. He's still one of the best out there. Just look around and it's fairly easy to see.
Bahahahaha

This thread permitted several (but certainly not ALL) of the worst of the worst to 'talk among themselves' (give it up, bigger/stronger - it can't be stopped) in a completely irrational way that seems more 'personal' than considered, perhaps some of all of them felt some 'slight' for whatever reason at some point somewhere but their reasons and reasoning for the opinions they've expressed on this thread make no sense whatsoever.
The 'worse shape than when he got here' comment is as bad as any assessment or criticism I've heard leveled anywhere and makes its spokesman sound like an honest to God fool.
The wealthy, the successful, the world's best all suffer yapping mongrels, as do politicians, popular people, intelligent people - in general SUCCESSFUL people who are envied and scorned by the less fortunate, less intelligent and less successful ... it has always been true.
When Lou Holtz was a YOUNG coach (a long time ago) he asked 'Bear' Bryant what he needed to do to be successful. Bryant told him " ... do what you think is right and don't worry about making friends or enemies. If you win your enemies can't hurt you and if you lose your friends can't help."

WIN? Before Spurrier arrived SC AVERAGED winning less than 5 games per year for our entire history. We'd had exactly ONE double-digit win season in our 120+ year history. In ten years Spurrier has given us THREE double-digit win seasons, plus a NINE plus an EIGHT with NO LOSING SEASONS EVER. In our entire history we had been to only ELEVEN bowls in more than 100 years and won just THREE of those. Spurrier has taken us to NINE bowls and won FIVE of 'em. His AVERAGE number of wins per season almost equals the 2nd best season record in our ENTIRE history behind 1984.
WIN? We didn't know what 'winning' was until SOS arrived. Spurrier racked up more wins against Clemson in LESS than a decade than SC had recorded in the TWO FULL DECADES before he arrived!!! NO WONDER Clemson supporters (and their sympathizers) continually cry "Get rid of Spurrier!!!"

Just let these idiots talk 'cause talk is all they can do. THAT (in and of itself) is an interesting facet of almost any subject matter (the 'inpact' of discussion) i.e., when a subject is scorned it almost always falls on deaf ears, when supported and praised it multiplies and becomes 'additive' to the special experience that is winning.

Save your breath BIGGER ... STRONGER - just let the envy mongrels slobber. Nobody that matters cares.

This is a business...Our goal when we hired Steve Spurrier was to win a Championship not keep paying him because of what he did 3 years ago...

Don't sweat it Suites. The board is eat up with new posters posing as Gamecocks posting stupid comments and slamming everything under the hope they are steering recruits to their taters. They're obvious..........now only if the mods would cleans some things up. There's a difference between being upset with loses and the stupid agendas some are trying to portray.

Reactions: NetworkX
If I only had 28 post since joining in 2006 and just got my posting privileges reinstated I'd probably say the exact same thing.

You're just afraid he'll become our "Danny Ford". The only difference is Spurrier does things the right way.

STHU and go to bed.

He's yet to win a conference championship at usc. BTW, you just got off probation in April.

Reactions: wdrcu75
This is a business...Our goal when we hired Steve Spurrier was to win a Championship not keep paying him because of what he did 3 years ago...
Flashcock gets it. Boosters are paying serious money to try and elevate this program. We need a coaching staff that also helps us to get to where we want to be...winning SEC championships and more! I can't overstate how much Coach Spurrier has helped this program including winning SEC East and smacking Taters around for 5 wonderful years. BUT, there comes a point of diminishing returns. We are beginning to see this now. Even the best coaches had a decline prior to retirement.

New

STHU and go to bed.
He's yet to win a conference championship at usc. BTW, you just got off probation in April.

Hey.....Clemson(non)Gentleman....The probation was due to the Compliance Office....had nothing to do with Spurrier or the coaching staff.

You mean 18 MONTHS ago right? I mean 3 years is pretty much the same thing as 18 months, right? You only pretty much DOUBLED the amount of time it has been since we last mopped the field with tater ass and ended the season ranked in the top five... WTF is wrong with you fools?

Just saying... Some of ya'll are acting like we just went 0-12 and the season is over. I know our fans- like any others- are irrational, misinformed, emotionally immature, unstable nut cases prone to knee-jerk childish outbursts and "fire everybody" rants after each loss... But some of ya'll really take it to a whole new level. Someone above said something about these forums being filled with the most rabid fans? BS. The most rabid fans are the ones contributing thousands/ MILLIONS to build our program into a winner. These boards are filled with 13-18 year old IDIOTS and TATERS. Any of you who thinks for one second that "I saw people say it on two different boards, so it must make sense" is a rational comment on any level- needs to just back away from the keyboard. Go read a FN book or something, experience the REAL WORLD- because whatever world you are living in right now where message board BS matters is a sad, sorry, BROKEN place. SMDH...

Nobody is happy about losing that game, nobody is excited about the directions of this season thus far. Grow the Hell up and DEAL WITH IT. The man which built this team into a winner will get his shots to fix the problems we have now. That is a fact.

Reactions: BOBO4
Why is there so much talk about ditching Spurrier at S.Car?
I never cared for the guy but he (and Holtz) have a laid a competitive foundation.
He's never been less than 3-5 in SEC play with three consecutive 6-2 seasons ending in bowl wins over Michigan, Nebraska and Wisconsin.
OBC at Florida was just a perfect storm with the state having so much local talent, if anything he needs to lock down what good talent produced in state especially from your Clemson rival.

Some of you all act like they don't remember the program before 2000.

I never cared for the guy but he (and Holtz) have a laid a competitive foundation.
He's never been less than 3-5 in SEC play with three consecutive 6-2 seasons ending in bowl wins over Michigan, Nebraska and Wisconsin.
OBC at Florida was just a perfect storm with the state having so much local talent, if anything he needs to lock down what good talent produced in state especially from your Clemson rival.

Amen to ALL that.

I think it says a lot about this FB staff's work ethic in the fact that there should have been recruiting classes ranked in the top 5 after three straight 11 win seasons. Instead, we have to start a walk on QB. Not putting Orth down at all. From what I have read on here, he may be another Shaw. We may be looking at the beginning of the end of what for USC has been a glorious ride. The attitude and personality of the FB team comes from the top.
Look what BYU has accomplished with a freshman QB. USC's recruiting budget and attitude is stuck in the 70s.

It's interesting that both here and on TOS it is nearly a consensus that it's time for SOS to go. After only 2 games this season, everyone's eyes see the same glaring talent deficiencies and offensive chaos. Given these Boards are populated by the most fanatics and garnet colored glass wearers who are willing to go down with the ship, that should tell you something. The end is near. Welcome Coach Kirby Smart!

you may speak the truth for once in this regard.

Spurrier is the head coach. He and Tanner at this point have to be held accountable. Idiots continuing to blame Jr. for everything from play calling(where is the proof), recruiting, jock itch and everything else are what they are, idiots.
You're right! Ultimately it's Spurrier that's accountable for the program.

We have lost some great coaches in the past several seasons and totally whiffed on finding an equally talented coach to replace them. Beamer was a good recruiting coordinator (not great). Brad Lawing was replaced with Adams. Are you kidding me? Jay Graham was very good recruiter and a great coach, he moved on! Johnson left, and because of Spurriers lack of effort to find the best DC he could get, he settled on Ward. This was as bad as hanging on to John Hunt too long. The list goes on, and it all falls on Spurrier.

Yes people, Spurrier has never been giddy about hunting down talent. He wasn't a great recruiter at Florida, he just happened to be in one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, and he got the in-state talent there. South Carolina is a different story. If something isn't done to change our recruiting efforts and strategy we'll be right there with Vandy, if we aren't already.

Reactions: jerryusc
My question is why were people do star struck with 3 seasons of 11 wins that they couldn't see the demise of recruiting?

The other thing is that 33 wins in 3 years didn't even get us in the SEC championship game. That should have been a motivator, not a reason to relax and think we've arrived.

Have to agree with you! Jr. is a HUGE problem for our program and it's not only taking us back down, it's ruining his father's legacy imo!!

Every single thing you can say about Spurrier and what he has done for this program is right. We aren't the same as before he got here... we are much, much, much better off. You'd have to be an idiot to even pretend to not understand that. However, every single one of those things could have been said for Bobby Bowden the last few years he coached at FSU as well. They were literally barely a football program before him... hell there really ISN'T much of a before-Bobby-Bowden. But those that were defending him at the end were wrong. By the end, they were better off without him. I don't think Spurrier is anywhere near as defunct as Bowden was in those years but the line is out there somewhere. If you defend Spurrier forever, no matter what, and there is NEVER a time to question him, you'll be wrong someday too.

umdterpcock wrote:

" ... If something isn't done to change our recruiting efforts and strategy we'll be right there with Vandy, if we aren't already."

Some people try to write the most inflammatory thing they can think of. That's just a dumb statement.

FWIW - Vandy laid 400-yards of total offense on Georgia last week and but for throwing a screen right at the CB instead of over his head to a WIDE OPEN receiver, which instantly changed from another Vandy TD into an 88-yard pick-6 for the dogs - and giving up an 80-yard punt return for a TD while throwing two more picks Vandy would have BEATEN Georgia last week.

Against the bulldogs Vandy had more 1st downs, better 3rd down conversion efficiency, was 3-4 on 4th down conversions, had the ball 5-minutes more than Georgia, did a far superior job punting the ball (but a poor job covering one).

Anybody can beat anybody on a given day.

Every single thing you can say about Spurrier and what he has done for this program is right. We aren't the same as before he got here... we are much, much, much better off. You'd have to be an idiot to even pretend to not understand that. However, every single one of those things could have been said for Bobby Bowden the last few years he coached at FSU as well. They were literally barely a football program before him... hell there really ISN'T much of a before-Bobby-Bowden. But those that were defending him at the end were wrong. By the end, they were better off without him. I don't think Spurrier is anywhere near as defunct as Bowden was in those years but the line is out there somewhere. If you defend Spurrier forever, no matter what, and there is NEVER a time to question him, you'll be wrong someday too.

Bowden was 80-old when he retired, which is a DECADE older than Spurrier.
FWIW - when Bowden was 79 he won his ACC division, went 9-4 finished in the Top 25 and won his bowl game.
When he was 80 he took FSU to the Gator Bowl and won that, too.
For 14-years in a row Bowden finished in the Top 5 ... winning two NC's while finishing 2nd three times.
From age 71-75 Bowden won 44 games in 5 years and went to two Orange Bowls, two Gator Bowls and the Sugar Bowl finishing in the Top 25 all five years.
Spurrier has at least 5 good years left and he's already said he's staying till then. That 'ought to be the end of it.
Coach Spurrier won't TRY to stay longer ... and I'm pretty sure (being the straight shooter he is) we'll know (and incoming players will know) pretty much what (and maybe even WHO) to expect when he does retire.

When Bowden was 80 and they won the Gator Bowl, he wasn't even in charge. They used his name and allowed him to stand on the sidelines. He didn't even know who had the ball half the time.

Our goal was for him to get us back into contention to go to some bowls.

We remember....and are not interested in returning to that. That is where the program seems to be headed. Miss American doesn't stay beautiful or rein forever....hey, it's the only analogy that popped into my head...lol....

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to move beyond 11-2, and get to the proverbial next level. It is because of SOS we were ever there. I just think he doesn't have the want to anymore, and that is only an observation. I truly think the staff as a whole and lack of a lockdown recruiter that could sell ice to an Eskimo has been more of the problem. Spurrier's football knowledge and a few SC studs (who invariably brought others) have masked that. Not an SEC-level staff under him. I know loyalty should be rewarded, but for how long, and at what cost? Anyway, beat the Mutts!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT