ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier in Year 5

dan29507

Nov 10, 2008
I was curious about year 5 under Spurrier and thought this was interesting.
He went 7-6 overall and 3-5 in the SEC.
I’m not here to defend Muschamp. Just passing this along.

Spurrier was a national championship winning coach who was better than 2-14 against ranked teams in his first 4 years. While I'm not bashing Muschamp specifically, Spurrier earned the time to make it work. Muschamp has flopped at two schools. Unless he figures something out and soon, there will be much angry gnashing of teeth.

Did... Anybody not know this? LOL. The people determined to trash Muschamp respond to this fact with “well Spurrier had won previously so he earned the extra time..” Or something comparable.. Many also deny that fans were ready to run him off after year 5, though many right HERE were ready and willing to dismiss him at that time...

As you said- not necessarily relevant to Muschamp as an endorsement or detractor for him, but that is the truth about SOS. It is also more verification that it can take quite a while to truly change the mindset and trajectory of a struggling program, even when one of the GOATs is running things.

Last edited:
App St was ranked Kentucky wasn't...in fact KY had a losing season that year. Inexcusable loss
Only because of the bowl game LOL.

However, both were inexcusable losses. IMO, App moreso because at home, non P5 opponent, never led after the 1st quarter

UK was a classic trap game, especially for a team like us. On the road, after such a huge win. You can see it coming, yet still can't stop it.

Boy, the length some of our fans will go to compare a HOF coach to damn losing Muskrat. Pitiful.
The childish insults being hurled at staff and players who are literally risking their health just to win games for your entertainment- is what is pitiful. If you hate the team so damn much, then LEAVE. Constant whining and bitching and insulting people or denigrating other posters for trying to make fair assessments of a situation is immature and does nothing but damage to what should be the unified goal of the fans of this team. You are truly a pathetic disgrace of a fan.

But spurrier didn’t kick a field goal on 4th and 12 late in the 4th quarter when you still needed a touchdown to tie
Why are people harping on that call so much? Making that 4th and 12 was highly unlikely, our D was playing good for most of the game, and in the end the strategy WORKED! Had we not made a monumental mistake on the punt, we get the ball back with over a minute to go down and score what would have been the game winning TD. If it was 4th and 2/3/4... sure, go for it! At 4th and TWELVE? It would have been a mistake to go for it and all of you complaining anout the FG would be just as mad about the idiotic decision to go for it.

Nobody likes to lose, but let’s be honest- that was the right call and it bore itself out to be the only chance we had to win the game! If we didn’t muff the punt then went down and scored, would you still be here complaining about it?

Ugghh, that does drive me crazy! TRY SOMETHING MAN!! We let time run off too often when we have a shot to go for points.. This I agree with 100%.
Yeah. I remember lou would say a long interception was as good as a punt. Lol. At least we aren’t doing that I guess 😂

Just asking, not criticizing, not trying to set you up for a knock out punch, just asking you to bet the future of your children on it. Which coach, in their 5th year at Carolina, would you rather have? The Evil Genius or Wet Willie??? .... not tryin to influence your comment, at all. LOL!!!

Why are people harping on that call so much? Making that 4th and 12 was highly unlikely, our D was playing good for most of the game, and in the end the strategy WORKED! Had we not made a monumental mistake on the punt, we get the ball back with over a minute to go down and score what would have been the game winning TD. If it was 4th and 2/3/4... sure, go for it! At 4th and TWELVE? It would have been a mistake to go for it and all of you complaining anout the FG would be just as mad about the idiotic decision to go for it.

Nobody likes to lose, but let’s be honest- that was the right call and it bore itself out to be the only chance we had to win the game! If we didn’t muff the punt then went down and scored, would you still be here complaining about it?

Not going for it was huge mistake. It doesn't matter how long the distance was, it was still one more chance where the penalty for not making it was meaningless.

Here is an analogy: I will give you $1,000 if you can hit a ballon with a dart in one toss and pop it at 10' or i will give you $1,000 if you pop it with two attempts at 10' 3".

Do you need to know the outcome before you know which one of these decision makes more sense? Two chances vs. 1 with very little difference in the penalty for the second attempt.

The difference between going for it and not going for it was 6 seconds off the clock and 3 yards. The 3 points don't factor in.

Yeah. I remember lou would say a long interception was as good as a punt. Lol. At least we aren’t doing that I guess 😂
Man I miss ole Lou! Never had more affection for a FB coach here. Everything he did or said was from the right frame of mind, with a smile on his face! Even the way he stepped down after the fight was classy and well timed... They say he even helped us land SOS as his replacement! What a guy... talked like he always had a mouth full of steak, but the substance of his words... One of the all time greats!

Not going for it was huge mistake. It doesn't matter how long the distance was, it was still one more chance where the penalty for not making it was meaningless.

Here is an analogy: I will give you $1,000 if you can hit a ballon with a dart in one toss and pop it at 10' or i will give you $1,000 if you pop it with two attempts at 10' 3".

Do you need to know the outcome before you know which one of these decision makes more sense? Two chances vs. 1 with very little difference in the penalty for the second attempt.

The difference between going for it and not going for it was 6 seconds off the clock and 3 yards. The 3 points don't factor in.
Incorrect. The outcomes of the two scenarios in your example are identical where the scenerio from the game was the difference between a “chance” to WIN vs a “chance” to TIE. If we go for it, and get it, then we still had yards to go to score a TD, taking at LEAST a Minute off the clock- IOW, all we have a shot to do in that situation is TIE. By kicking the FG, we were getting the ball back (again until the muff), with over a minute left to drive the field in a situation where a TD WINS! Kicking was the only option that gave us a chance to win in regulation. He went for the WIN, not for OT. It was the right call. I think that is the part most people are not seeing... Muschamp went for the WIN, and people are dragging him for it.

Reactions: roosterbell
Spurrier is God of offense. Muschamp is God of Defense. Spurrier hired some really good Defensive Co-ordinators to complement that. Muschamp hasn't until now. We will see.

Incorrect. The outcomes of the two scenarios in your example are identical where the scenerio from the game was the difference between a “chance” to WIN vs a “chance” to TIE. If we go for it, and get it, then we still had yards to go to score a TD, taking at LEAST a Minute off the clock- IOW, all we have a shot to do in that situation is TIE. By kicking the FG, we were getting the ball back (again until the muff), with over a minute left to drive the field in a situation where a TD WINS! Kicking was the only option that gave us a chance to win in regulation. He went for the WIN, not for OT. It was the right call. I think that is the part most people are not seeing... Muschamp went for the WIN, and people are dragging him for it.
Well, I can consistently convert 4th and 25 on Madden, so Muschamp should have gone for it.

The goal is to survive to win. You give yourself as many opportunities as you can to get to a win. The odds of even tying the game were remote, you give yourself all the opportunities to move on. Going for it was with out question the best decision, you have two chances at a TD. Win the game in Overtime or go for two. but driving the field with 1:30 and no time outs is the lowest odd there are.

1st 4 years comparison: Spurrier vs. Champ (just the numbers)

Spurrier had us in the Top 25 for 10 weeks, and as high as No. #7 in country. Champ had us ranked once at #24 due to pre-season hype....only to get blasted by UGA at home 41-17.

Spurrier also beat 7 ranked teams. Champ twice.

Spurrier beat our (ranked) rival. Champ zero wins and also holds the honor as the worst run vs. CU in SC history - being outscored 184 to 55.

Spurrier also was a media darling which was great for the university. Champ is the #1 candidate to be fired at the moment, which has been broadcast throughout virtually every media outlet.

Last edited:
Spurrier is God of offense. Muschamp is God of Defense. Spurrier hired some really good Defensive Co-ordinators to complement that. Muschamp hasn't until now. We will see.
Measured and reasonable response. We will see... Muschamp may not be quite the defensive guru Spurrier was as an offensive coach but anybody who discounts his defensive prowess is just being emotional and unfair. He was a fantastic DC/ assistant Hc at Texas and many other stops before he became a HC. If we can get a good offense rolling, We honestly could be a very good team now that we are getting some quality depth on D with the players he has recruited- especially along the DL! I don’t see THIS offense being real special, not ready to give up on the season either, but you add Lloyd into the mix next year with another year of Bobo’s coaching.. If we can find some wide receivers who are play makers.. We could see a completely different level of offense next season with a stout defensive front on the other side and a bunch of experience behind it. There legitimately could be a turnaround in year 6... Again though, we need to find more playmakers at WR!

The childish insults being hurled at staff and players who are literally risking their health just to win games for your entertainment- is what is pitiful. If you hate the team so damn much, then LEAVE. Constant whining and bitching and insulting people or denigrating other posters for trying to make fair assessments of a situation is immature and does nothing but damage to what should be the unified goal of the fans of this team. You are truly a pathetic disgrace of a fan.
Thank you

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
The goal is to survive to win. You give yourself as many opportunities as you can to get to a win. The odds of even tying the game were remote, you give yourself all the opportunities to move on. Going for it was with out question the best decision, you have two chances at a TD. Win the game in Overtime or go for two. but driving the field with 1:30 and no time outs is the lowest odd there are.
Again though, you are wrong. Going for it does not give you two chances to score... If we went for it and made the first down, score or no score, the clock winds down and we do not get the ball back. That is my point. The only way to win in regulation was to kick it, he went for the win.
I am not arguing the coaches we have are the best of all time or implying I was even a fan of the Muschamp hire from day 1- I was NOT! My point is simply that he/ WHOEVER he is Muschamp/Bobo/the band director made the correct call on that play. If you have a short distance, the decision gets murky there, but we had 4th and twelve. Take the points, let your D get the ball back then go for the win! That was the right call IMO.

Again though, you are wrong. Going for it does not give you two chances to score... If we went for it and made the first down, score or no score, the clock winds down and we do not get the ball back. That is my point. The only way to win in regulation was to kick it, he went for the win.
Neither is wrong, I've come to see. It wasn't a dumb decision, but a different philosophy. When I played, our coach would always take the points in front of us in a situation like this. Getting a fresh drive is a better chance that all or nothing conversion of 4th and 12. At least, IMO.

And that is a personal attack. :(

Did... Anybody not know this? LOL. The people determined to trash Muschamp respond to this fact with “well Spurrier had won previously so he earned the extra time..” Or something comparable.. Many also deny that fans were ready to run him off after year 5, though many right HERE were ready and willing to dismiss him at that time...

As you said- not necessarily relevant to Muschamp as an endorsement or detractor for him, but that is the truth about SOS. It is also more verification that is can take quite a while to truly change the mindset and trajectory of a struggling program, even when one of the GOATs is running things.
Check Spurrier record again, please. After five....no losing seasons. There or 4, dont remember, bowl games. He was 7 games over .500. He had beaten several ranked teams. There is no comparison between Spurriers 5 years and where Muschamp is at I game into his 5th season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT