ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier in Year 5

Again though, you are wrong. Going for it does not give you two chances to score... If we went for it and made the first down, score or no score, the clock winds down and we do not get the ball back. That is my point. The only way to win in regulation was to kick it, he went for the win.

Holy smokes you don't know football.... At that point there was almost 4 min. on the clock. If you go for it and make it, you are first and 10 at the 16 yd line and need a TD to tie the game and force overtime. Then you can let the mighty D stop TN and get the ball for a long field goal to win. If you don't make it, well you don't make it but you act like making the first down was a bad thing because then you would have to run more plays and burn the clock. What are you smoking?

In your scenario you kick the field goal which does nothing for prolonging the game (you know getting extra time) Under the best circumstance you will get the ball back needing to drive the field and score a TD to not lose with no time outs and well under 2 min.

In my scenario you take a crack at the end zone and you give up 3 yards and 6 second to TN and then you can still try the second part of your scenario which is drive the field to get a TD. Who cares about trying to win in regulation? A win is a win if in OT or not. The odds for what he did were far worse.

Neither is wrong, I've come to see. It wasn't a dumb decision, but a different philosophy. When I played, our coach would always take the points in front of us in a situation like this.
I just meant he was wrong about saying we would get two chances to score if we had gone for it... I get that this is an opinion discussion regarding what was the correct call. I just think people are overlooking what impact it would have had on the tome left if we had gotten it and stretched that drive another minute or two... while we can only speculate about how much time we would have run off the clock if we had gone for it, we can assume it would have been enough to ensure we would not have gotten the ball back again or if we did, it would have been with only second left in the game.

Holy smokes you don't know football.... At that point there was almost 4 min. on the clock. If you go for it and make it, you are first and 10 at the 16 yd line and need a TD to tie the game and force overtime. Then you can let the mighty D stop TN and get the ball for a long field goal to win. If you don't make it, well you don't make it but you act like making the first down was a bad thing because then you would have to run more plays and burn the clock. What are you smoking?

In your scenario you kick the field goal which does nothing for prolonging the game (you know getting extra time) Under the best circumstance you will get the ball back needing to drive the field and score a TD to not lose with no time outs and well under 2 min.

In my scenario you take a crack at the end zone and you give up 3 yards and 6 second to TN and then you can still try the second part of your scenario which is drive the field to get a TD. Who cares about trying to win in regulation? A win is a win if in OT or not. The odds for what he did were far worse.
Nope, still disagree... if you assume we go for it and get it, there is still no guarantee we score a TD. If we don’t and run 4 more plays and UT gets the ball back? What then? That is my point. Then you have no time to let the D stop them and get the ball back. Trying to insult my knowledge of football because you disagree with my opinion is petty. You are the one who doesn’t seem to grasp that plays take time off the clock... The likelihood of us making a 4th and 12 was minuscule- again/ 4th and 1 or 2- higher odds, then you have a decision to make. 4th and twelve= he did the right thing.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
Nope, still disagree... if you assume we go for it and get it, there is still no guarantee we score a TD. If we don’t and run 4 more plays and UT gets the ball back? What then? That is my point. Then you have no time to let the D stop them and get the ball back. Trying to insult my knowledge of football because you disagree with my opinion is petty. You are the one who doesn’t seem to grasp that plays take time off the clock... The likelihood of us making a 4th and 12 was minuscule- again/ 4th and 1 or 2- higher odds, then you have a decision to make. 4th and twelve= he did the right thing.

This is FB, there are no guarantees. So first and 10 from the TN 16 is about the same odds of scoring a TD as driving 80 yards with 1:30 and no timeouts? Good googly moogly.

Yes 4th and 12 is a low percentage play, but all you are down to is low percentage plays. Driving the field with that amount of time and no time outs is an even lower percentage play, by a lot. We would likely have gone for it on several 4th downs.

I would rather have two opportunities at low percentage plays than one. It doesn't mean you are guaranteed anything, but it is the smartest thing to do.

You had to score a TD to not lose the game at the end of regulation. Kicking a FG did not accomplish that.

This is FB, there are no guarantees. So first and 10 from the TN 16 is about the same odds of scoring a TD as driving 80 yards with 1:30 and no timeouts? Good googly moogly.

Yes 4th and 12 is a low percentage play, but all you are down to is low percentage plays. Driving the field with that amount of time and no time outs is an even lower percentage play, by a lot. We would likely have gone for it on several 4th downs.

I would rather have two opportunities at low percentage plays than one. It doesn't mean you are guaranteed anything, but it is the smartest thing to do.

You had to score a TD to not lose the game at the end of regulation. Kicking a FG did not accomplish that.

“So first and 10 from the TN 16 is about the same odds of scoring a TD as driving 80 yards with 1:30 and no timeouts?”

What? Literally nobody is saying that.

Look, believe what you want, nobody knows “what could have been” but you keep ignoring the fact that if we had gotten the 4th and 12, the game would have been tied best case scenario right? AFTER we would have likely run some more plays to score, thus further running down the clock- so now it is AT BEST Tied with enough time left for one team to get and move the ball- UT would get the kickoff with a couple minutes left, and would have either run the clock down to 0 trying to score or driven far enough to kick the game winning FG/score Gw TD with virtually no time left. SO, best case we either force OT or worst case- lose the game in regulation. Kicking the FG preserved the clock and gave us virtually the only chance to win in revulation. Sure, maybe we pull a 30 something yard TD pass out of our arse when we go for it and get both the score and preserve the clock, with a chance to get the ball back and win- but seeing as how we had very few if any plays of 30+ yards in the 70 plays we ran prior to that... I think we all know that was not likely. It is my opinion that call was the correct one, you disagree? Cool. Good on you...

Incorrect. The outcomes of the two scenarios in your example are identical where the scenerio from the game was the difference between a “chance” to WIN vs a “chance” to TIE. If we go for it, and get it, then we still had yards to go to score a TD, taking at LEAST a Minute off the clock- IOW, all we have a shot to do in that situation is TIE. By kicking the FG, we were getting the ball back (again until the muff), with over a minute left to drive the field in a situation where a TD WINS! Kicking was the only option that gave us a chance to win in regulation. He went for the WIN, not for OT. It was the right call. I think that is the part most people are not seeing... Muschamp went for the WIN, and people are dragging him for it.
This!!! You are absolutely right in this assessment. I felt the same way and argued with some knuckle heads behind me who started throwing around f-bombs. When Tennessee had to punt they apologized saying we have a chance to win this thing.

Botched punt = more f-bombs and an argument between the two of them about whose fault it was - Muschamp or Smith.

Personally, I thought our returner should have run up and fielded the ball.

Did... Anybody not know this? LOL. The people determined to trash Muschamp respond to this fact with “well Spurrier had won previously so he earned the extra time..” Or something comparable.. Many also deny that fans were ready to run him off after year 5, though many right HERE were ready and willing to dismiss him at that time...

As you said- not necessarily relevant to Muschamp as an endorsement or detractor for him, but that is the truth about SOS. It is also more verification that it can take quite a while to truly change the mindset and trajectory of a struggling program, even when one of the GOATs is running things.
I honestly don’t remember a majority of fans wanting to run off Spurrier in 2009. We’d just come off a huge upset over Clemson. The papa bowl was no fun but that was just an all around miserable day. Reminded me of the Belk Bowl except better weather and no cold pizza.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Spurrier is and always will be a legend. He gave us a chance to win every game from day 1. Keep it close and make a big play in the 4th quarter. Comparing Spurrier to Muschamp is like comparing the Atlanta Braves to the Savannah Bananas.

I honestly don’t remember a majority of fans wanting to run off Spurrier in 2009. We’d just come off a huge upset over Clemson. The papa bowl was no fun but that was just an all around miserable day. Reminded me of the Belk Bowl except better weather and no cold pizza.
I was at the Pappa John’s bowl, I can assure the majority of fans THERE wanted him gone! 😂

That’s one game I’m glad I can say I missed 😂
It was the coldest I have ever been! I still have nightmares of Garcia and crew laying that egg man. 🤮
Lotta dudes in the parking lot after the game punching air and wishing for change!

It was the coldest I have ever been! I still have nightmares of Garcia and crew laying that egg man. 🤮
People that were sitting around me at the Belk bowl were telling me how much it reminded them of the Papa bowl,
except better weather.

People that were sitting around me at the Belk bowl were telling me how much it reminded them of the Papa bowl,
except better weather.
I had not been to a bowl game since the Pappa John’s Bowl... UNTIL the Belk Bowl. 🤦‍♂️ Yes, terribly similar, but better weather and a WAYYYY NICER STADIUM! Birmingham is a DUMP and that stadium was in the trashiest part of town, on the verge of falling apart. Hope they have torn it down since then...

I had not been to a bowl game since the Pappa John’s Bowl... UNTIL the Belk Bowl. 🤦‍♂️ Yes, terribly similar, but better weather and a WAYYYY NICER STADIUM! Birmingham is a DUMP and that stadium was in the trashiest part of town, on the verge of falling apart. Hope they have torn it down since then...
Don’t feel bad, the Belk bowl was the first bowl I’d been to since the Peach Bowl debacle. I never had any interest in going to the Papa bowl. I’ll go to any we play at in Florida, Charlotte, Atlanta, or some major bowl.

Don’t feel bad, the Belk bowl was the first bowl I’d been to since the Peach Bowl debacle. I never had any interest in going to the Papa bowl. I’ll go to any we play at in Florida, Charlotte, Atlanta, or some major bowl.
Yeah, the Outback Bowl when Brewer raped OSU was probably the best bowl trip I ever went on! Florida is where it is at for a Bowl trip!!

I really like the Panther’s stadium though, we were in that second level of seats a step from the luxury boxes with this swanky concessions area and bar right behind us! Makes me want to go to a Panthers game now... It was fun despite the showing on the field.

Legion Field, once a Parthenon of Southern football.
They removed the upper deck on one side. Too dangerous to use, too expensive to replace.

The App St. was worse than Kentucky... just to clear that up.
False. Appalachian State was ranked and our true freshman qb was gimped to the point of immobility. Kentucky we had Marcus Lattimore, Alshon Jeffrey, and Stephen Garcia who Spurrier threw under the bus to draw attention away from himself mismanaging the clock at the end of the game.

The childish insults being hurled at staff and players who are literally risking their health just to win games for your entertainment- is what is pitiful. If you hate the team so damn much, then LEAVE. Constant whining and bitching and insulting people or denigrating other posters for trying to make fair assessments of a situation is immature and does nothing but damage to what should be the unified goal of the fans of this team. You are truly a pathetic disgrace of a fan.
Your little feelings hurt? It's a discussion board. You might should leave to protect your fragile mentality.

Your little feelings hurt? It's a discussion board. You might should leave to protect your fragile mentality.
Wow... the “baby gonna cry” comeback? Sure proved me wrong about the CHILDISH part didn’t you? Gonna hit me with a “nanny nanny boo boo stick your head in doo doo” next? Maybe a “I know you are but what am I”? What a petulant whinny little baby. Ask Mommy if you can stay up late enough to reply before you start typing- I’d hate for you to get the ipad taken away again.. 😂😂

Wow... the “baby gonna cry” comeback? Sure proved me wrong about the CHILDISH part didn’t you? Gonna hit me with a “nanny nanny boo boo stick your head in doo doo” next? Maybe a “I know you are but what am I”? What a petulant whinny little baby. Ask Mommy if you can stay up late enough to reply before you start typing- I’d hate for you to get the ipad taken away again.. 😂😂
You seem really sensitive. Might need to go get your estrogen checked.

You seem really sensitive. Might need to go get your estrogen checked.
You are the one talking shit to me out of nowhere buddy, clearly it is your panties that are in a wad. Sorry that it upset you so when I commented that all the whining has gotten out of hand here. Adding your voice to the chorus of whining sure proved me wrong!

No one I remember was wanting Steve to leave.
However, there were a lot of us who were livid over the lack of taking the bowl seriously and lack of prep. That was all on Steve and he knew it.

To be fair... there wasn't any cold pizza at the Pizza bowl either. They ran out so early.

However, there were a lot of us who were livid over the lack of taking the bowl seriously and lack of prep. That was all on Steve and he knew it.
And then Muschamp said “hold my beer” and gave us the Belk bowl. Remember he didn’t even use all of his practices and it showed?

Interesting to think about both coaches through 4 years and into their 5th. I took a look at their records against SEC East and clemson

Spurrier’s record through 4 years

Uga 1-3

Uf 1-3

U2-2

Uk 4-0

Vandy 2-2

Clem 1-3

Muschamp’s record through 4 years

Uga 1-3

Uf 1-3

Ut 3-1

Uk 1-3

Clem 0-4

The huge difference was that Spurrier beat Clemson. The 2009 Clemson game in Spurrier’s 5th year was the turning point for the Spurrier era. 7-6 including a bowl loss to UConn is a subpar season, but we beat Clemson and beat them good that year so nobody cared.
Our expectations are also a lot higher nowadays than they were back then. beating Clemson and going 3-5 in conference isn’t enough, yet we can’t even achieve that

Wasn't that more on Garcia than Spurrier? Not to say Spurrier didn't have any culpability there -- he clearly did. But how many times did we hear from Spurrier that he had to get on him for playing video games instead of reviewing the playbook and gameplan?

This all culminated with Garcia getting suspended after the Peach Bowl for his behavior. And if the worst of the rumors are to be believed, I'm surprised he wasn't dismissed from the team long before he finally was.

The App St. was worse than Kentucky... just to clear that up.
App st. went to a bowl last year and was 13-1. I'm not saying it wasn't embarassing, but they play some pretty dang good football up there. Maybe we should look at their coach? (actually we'll play Drinkwitz again this year at Mizzou). KY sucked that year. Although the injury to Marcus really hurt our chances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT