ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier Named Ambassador and Consultant to Florida Athletics

Why would he want his name tied to our program, which doesn't have any SEC championships or National Titles.
You NEVER miss an opportunity to take a shot at our program...
I think coaching here for 10 seasons ties his name to our program forever. He's a college football legend and he's earned the right to go wherever he wishes. Congrats to the Spurrier's for returning to their Alma mater.

Wonder how is book is selling ?

Publication/release isn't scheduled until 8/30/16 but I heard it's been fairly brisk, especially for a 'sports book'.
His publisher/promotional group were smart to utilize Florida colors (blue and orange) on the cover but not to show any logo's on his visor, either Florida or South Carolina ... I imagine he'll sell 5X's the number of copies to UF fans than Gamecock fans purchase, but I've got my order in. This is the 5th or 6th 'Spurrier' book, either by or about him ... he completely changed football here at South Carolina yet many fans elsewhere seem to appreciate his genius and accomplishments more.

I'm thankful for SOS - and sincerely wish him well. I can't recall a moment of 'wonderment' more powerful regarding 'Carolina football than Dylan Thompson's come off the bench last minute bowl-winning TD pass to continue the HBC's string of miracles that he conducted at South Carolina.

thank you, Coach. Good luck.

Feels a little bit like a punch in the gut. Kinda like when your girl dumps you, and then you find out she's with another guy in your circle of acquaintances.

Definitely can't blame the guy though. He accomplished so much more at UF through his time as a player AND as a coach than he did here. I'm not shocked, and I don't begrudge him, but it's a little weird seeing him as a gator again.

Reactions: SpursUPgunsOUT
I'm genuinely heartbroken about this. I guess it's for the best. We can finally move on for the past. It just hurt in my gut. He did so much for us then says he will pull against us when we play Florida... Why even say that out loud?

At least we have coach boom. We are moving in the right direction. F Florida man!

Reactions: nikolas22
Feels a little bit like a punch in the gut. Kinda like when your girl dumps you, and then you find out she's with another guy in your circle of acquaintances.

Definitely can't blame the guy though. He accomplished so much more at UF through his time as a player AND as a coach than he did here. I'm not shocked, and I don't begrudge him, but it's a little weird seeing him as a gator again.

NAH, man! Don't feel like 'that'.
You 'ought feel like TED TURNER after breaking up with Jane Fonda!
"While you had her" she was the BEST $#%^$ (* #ss on EARTH!!! ... and she was YOURS!!!
But she got old.
Hey, fella! YOU'RE STILL TED TURNER!!! AND YOU'RE STILL RICH!!!
Be HAPPY for 'em ... let 'em enjoy every one of the properties, be MAGNANIMOUS!!! You wanna' visit "Ted's Montana" for a buffalo burger? NO CHARGE!!! I'll get the tip, too!!! Wanna' walk the beach on a private SC island? TAKE THE SEA PLANE!!!
Move on!!! Relax ... hey, fella' - YOU are TED TURNER!!!
You see that 20-something over there with the PERKY a'hems ... she's looking at YOU!!!
GO 'Cocks!!!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Good never did like him glad he is gone. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the 5 bomb but didn't like him when he was hired.

Well there are more golf courses in Florida. Can't say I'm surprised by this but sucks he won't be around at USC.

He has stated publicly that he wants to write his own memoir, because of errors about his life in the other books.

Read the story

So much for him taking the role at South Carolina. I guess he's found a better gig.

That's probably where he belongs and I'd do the same thing if I was him. And I'm particularly glad Muschamp won't have to deal with his distraction as so many supporters thought of him more highly than he really deserved since he never even won a conference title. Remember his "why not us?" slogan? Well now he'll go back to his favored chomp chomp.
Just stings that he was the best thing we ever had and he really didn't deliver things he said would happen.

This is no kick in the gut. This is a great coach returning to his alma mater. We're forever linked to HBC due to the job he did here the last 10+ years. We had only 3 bowl wins and 1 10-win season before his arrival, and he produced 5 bowl wins and 3 11-win seasons in his USC tenure alone. He has nothing but good things to say about us, and I think his wife and one of his sons earned degrees from USC. We're part of his legacy, even if not to the degree that UF is (which is common sense given his playing and coaching tenures there). Thanks for 86-49, Top 10 seasons, bowl wins, and success vs. our rivals. Go Cocks!

This is no kick in the gut. This is a great coach returning to his alma mater. We're forever linked to HBC due to the job he did here the last 10+ years. We had only 3 bowl wins and 1 10-win season before his arrival, and he produced 5 bowl wins and 3 11-win seasons in his USC tenure alone. He has nothing but good things to say about us, and I think his wife and one of his sons earned degrees from USC. We're part of his legacy, even if not to the degree that UF is (which is common sense given his playing and coaching tenures there). Thanks for 86-49, Top 10 seasons, bowl wins, and success vs. our rivals. Go Cocks!

Well said

Reactions: SportsSuites1
While Steve was great for our program for most of the 11 years he was here. But we need Muschamp to become our Vince Dooley. What that entails, is for this to be his home, even if UGA came calling for him to become there coach. I think Vince turned Auburn down a couple of times. I do not blame Spurrier for going back to Florida, he played there, coached there longer than any other place, and had success there.

Good never did like him glad he is gone. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the 5 bomb but didn't like him when he was hired.
I did like him when he first got here and always defended him.

I do not like the way he gave up on our team and then quit in the middle of the season. Plus, I am not happy with the way he left our program.

He has shown that he is truly all about himself. Good riddance.

Once upon a time, a man had a pet bird. He loved that bird & it gave him a lot of enjoyment. One day by accident, the man left the bird cage open & the bird flew away. The man really didn't fret, because he counted on the fact that the bird knew where it's home was, how & where it got fed, & where it safely slept at night. Hours passed......the bird didn't return. Days passed.....the bird didn't return. Finally the man realized the bird was never gonna return.

Moral of the story......you can have & enjoy something, but if given the chance to leave & it does, & never returns, it never was really yours to begin with.

Thanks Coach Spurrier for the greatest era EVER of Carolina football.

Just stings that he was the best thing we ever had and he really didn't deliver things he said would happen.

Stings? Son, you've got sensitive skin. He DELIVERED PLENTY.

In 120+ years we'd ONLY been to 10 bowl games and won exactly three!!! ... in a decade SOS took us to NINE and we won 5 ... FOUR OF THOSE IN A ROW.!!!!

An SEC East Championship, a triple double, top 10 rankings, a top 5 ranking!!! ... ROUTINE top 25 rankings, a #1 in the country recruit, a victory over the #1 ranked team, NUMEROUS wins over top 10 programs, most wins in history, most wins by ANY coach we ever had, most W's over clemson, FIVE IN A ROW over clemson.

Clark Gable keeled over with a heart attack when he died and it wasn't pretty when he left but up until then he was a lady-killer all his life.

SOS grew tired here, he stayed 'cause he was asked to and lived to regret it. But while he WAS 'engaged' - when he DID 'have the fire' he was the best on either sideline at every game he ever lined up for South Carolina. Some people won't give him a pass 'cause he still LOOKS young ... but a guy with new knees that's 70+ ain't YOUNG, he did the right thing at the wrong time but so what, that's life. Nobody runs sub-4 minute miles forever.

He ran a CLEAN program, our players got BETTER and they were BETTER people. A TON of 'em went to the pros and got rich.

WE 'got rich' while he was here!!! LOOK AROUND!!! SOS was responsible for more new buildings in Columbia than Thomas Jefferson ever thought about in Charlottesville.

I wish him well.

NAH, man! Don't feel like 'that'.
You 'ought feel like TED TURNER after breaking up with Jane Fonda!
"While you had her" she was the BEST $#%^$ (* #ss on EARTH!!! ... and she was YOURS!!!
But she got old.
Hey, fella! YOU'RE STILL TED TURNER!!! AND YOU'RE STILL RICH!!!
Be HAPPY for 'em ... let 'em enjoy every one of the properties, be MAGNANIMOUS!!! You wanna' visit "Ted's Montana" for a buffalo burger? NO CHARGE!!! I'll get the tip, too!!! Wanna' walk the beach on a private SC island? TAKE THE SEA PLANE!!!
Move on!!! Relax ... hey, fella' - YOU are TED TURNER!!!
You see that 20-something over there with the PERKY a'hems ... she's looking at YOU!!!
GO 'Cocks!!!
Great point. This is how I live my life. All my exs are hot right bodied memories, but that's when they were 21-23ish. They've all started getting old and started having kids.... I age with every year, but my lady friends stay the same age. People are always nervous of change, but taking a new 22 year old girl to the Caribbean and taking tequila shots off her stomach tells me otherwise. With that said, muschamp is our right bodied 22 year old.

#boom

People are always nervous of change, but taking a new 22 year old girl to the Caribbean and taking tequila shots off her stomach tells me otherwise. With that said, muschamp is our right bodied 22 year old.

You can quote me on this now. I will never do a tequila shot off of Muschamp's belly. Not even once.

Ok, if it meant we won the SEC and the playoffs? Sure. Just once. For you guys. But I'm certainly not going to be happy about it, and no one better mention it ever again.

Just like I thought people complained for paying him to do nothing. And now complaining for not having to paying him.

Last edited:
Just like I thought people complained for paying him to do nothing. And now complaining for not having to paying him.

Maybe they are different people?

I started the thread but I'm not complaining, to be honest. I love Coach Spurrier, and I thank him for what he and his wife brought to USC.

But I think it's bad form to retire like he did, take on an "ambassador" role with USC, and then turn around and ditch us for the same role at Florida. I mean, I can understand him retiring mid-season and I'll forgive him that. And I really don't take much offense to him taking the job with his Alma Mater. However, there probably should have been a gap of a year or so between the two jobs.

Maybe there's something else at play here, I don't know. It's just a weird situation if you ask me.

Maybe they are different people?

I started the thread but I'm not complaining, to be honest. I love Coach Spurrier, and I thank him for what he and his wife brought to USC.

But I think it's bad form to retire like he did, take on an "ambassador" role with USC, and then turn around and ditch us for the same role at Florida. I mean, I can understand him retiring mid-season and I'll forgive him that. And I really don't take much offense to him taking the job with his Alma Mater. However, there probably should have been a gap of a year or so between the two jobs.

Maybe there's something else at play here, I don't know. It's just a weird situation if you ask me.
Good point .

Reactions: vehemon
Thanks to Spurrier for the great memories. Everyone here knows that is where he truly belongs. I have zero doubt he put his heart into the program. When he started here WB looked bleak and the surroundings were blah. Now look at us. It looks like a true SEC football program around and in the WB. (lordy remember the replay board when he got here). Nothing but praise for this guy.

I did like him when he first got here and always defended him.

I do not like the way he gave up on our team and then quit in the middle of the season. Plus, I am not happy with the way he left our program.

He has shown that he is truly all about himself. Good riddance.
Good, now can you move on?

Reactions: HartsvilleRedCock
Good luck to Scotty too. I'm assuming he'll be leaving with mom and dad. There's got to be some assistant's assistant job at UF for him.

Good luck to Scotty too. I'm assuming he'll be leaving with mom and dad. There's got to be some assistant's assistant job at UF for him.

And Steve Jr. with his brood, & both the daughters.....who used to drive around with those permanent license plates on university cars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT