ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier not pursuing Golson

I am glad that Spurrier has spoken, this means SOS thinks that Mitch gives us the best chance with success. I must admit, I was wanting Golson here.

Reactions: usc4ever15
To bull headed to pursue a good QB. If Mitch can barely beat out a walk on, then we are in trouble.

Reactions: usc4ever15
To bull headed to pursue a good QB. If Mitch can barely beat out a walk on, then we are in trouble.

Danny Wuerfel barely beat out a couple of walk ons while playing for Spurrier at UF, then went on to win a national championship and Heisman Trophy. So your point is without merit.

I was going to be fine with whatever decision Spurrier made. The guy knows his quarterbacks. To me it is a vote of confidence for Mitch. I don't believe it is unreasonable to expect Mitch to be better than Golson. Golson is a solid QB, but it's not like he's heisman trophy material. Keep in mind he did lose the starting job at Notre Dame.

I certainly wish the athletic staffs would listen to all you "know it alls" on this website. There maybe two reasons they didn't pursue Golson: (1) there has been several people saying that he won't be able to transfer to any SEC school due to rules and (2) he was a literal fumble machine when he was playing.

I know many will be happy but I wish we would have gone after him. He could have helped us.
Maybe he could have helped us... maybe. I'd like to see our QBs play out this season. I'm sure if things aren't great people will be complaining about this. This is where our defense really killed us last year. We weren't able to get ANY dang playing time for Mitch last year because we couldn't build any leads. Now we are shooting in the dark. I'd like to see Golson here, but it is just not meant to be. It's not the right circumstances. If we clearly knew none of our QBs were going to be able to cut it, then we'd would've probably have gone after him.

Regardless of what is really going on, it makes Spurrier look like he doesn't want to make the effort. Based on the reality of the football recruiting disaster that we saw this spring, this is going to be seen as another characteristic of Spurrier's lazy recruiting efforts. On the other hand, offering Golson probably wouldn't make a difference, because he wasn't coming here anyway. I suppose that we should be thankful that Spurrier made a statement about it to the media.

I certainly wish the athletic staffs would listen to all you "know it alls" on this website. There maybe two reasons they didn't pursue Golson: (1) there has been several people saying that he won't be able to transfer to any SEC school due to rules and (2) he was a literal fumble machine when he was playing.
I don't think the SEC rule would have stopped anything. The guy has graduated. They would have just file a petition and make an exception.

'ajc' was speculating same yesterday or day before.

some only think building for one year, others think about building that will last for yrs.

I am glad that Spurrier has spoken, this means SOS thinks that Mitch gives us the best chance with success. I must admit, I was wanting Golson here.
Nah, I don't think he really knows what he has in Mitch or anyone, that is the problem. He can't make any guarantees because he doesn't now where he stands. Golson needs a guarantee because he has one year. Or he at least needs to have a good feeling that our QBs are bad and have no chance of giving him any real competition, and there is just not that sample size to make that decision. We are a talking about a coach that has decided Tommy Beecher is our best QB to start the year. This is the problem.

Maybe he could have helped us... maybe. I'd like to see our QBs play out this season. I'm sure if things aren't great people will be complaining about this. This is where our defense really killed us last year. We weren't able to get ANY dang playing time for Mitch last year because we couldn't build any leads. Now we are shooting in the dark. I'd like to see Golson here, but it is just not meant to be. It's not the right circumstances. If we clearly knew none of our QBs were going to be able to cut it, then we'd would've probably have gone after him.

I think Mitch should have gotten more PT last year regardless if we had a big lead or not. We may not be in the situation with no experience at QB at all. Then it would have made more sense not going after Golson. Guess we will see how things turn out. I hope Mitch has a good year.

I think Mitch should have gotten more PT last year regardless if we had a big lead or not. We may not be in the situation with no experience at QB at all. Then it would have made more sense not going after Golson. Guess we will see how things turn out. I hope Mitch has a good year.
That wouldn't be fair to Thompson and the other guys like Cooper that were busting their rump to try to make a bowl game. You never bail on a season just because you want to give some guys some practice for next year. You don't disrepect the players, the fans, and the game like that.

Reactions: BlackCOCKDown
I wouldn't expect him to comment at all if he was pursuing him. I mean "yeah, we're really trying to get him, we could really use him, etc." would just raise expectations and might not be taken well by the guys we have already.

So the mere fact he said anything means he ain't coming. Interesting story while it lasted I guess. I really hope Mitch has made massive improvement because he looked like Tommy Beecher last year.

Since it's his last shot it's hard to believe he would choose anywhere that doesn't make assurances he will be the qb. UGA is like us. They have a couple of untested in games player that have paid their dues in the program. Doubt they will leap frog Gholson over them, imo.

^^This....Golson also, IMO, is still living off the success he had the year ND made the championship game. Many could argue that was due to the defense ND had that year and not Golson's play alone. This past season Golson had more turnovers by himself, 22, than 85 FBS Teams in 2014. Granted, I'm sure not every one of those turnovers were Golson's fault, regardless that is not going to get it done at any school much less in the SEC. If we want to get back to where we were just a few years ago we can't take a one year flyer on a guy that has a bigger name than he does statistical track record of winning and getting it done in big time games.

For those who freak out about such things, yeah, it's a link to The State. Click on it or don't.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...th-carolina/usc-football/article20816982.html

My opinion is he wants to go somewhere like FSU. He's got 1 year to get himself on the NFL radar, so he probably wants to go to a high profile program. Let's face it, even a few years back when FSU was struggling, the sports guys still talked about FSU
ad nauseam. He'll get a lot more air time somewhere like FSU.

Also, from what I've heard, the interest in USC was coming more from EG camp than EG himself. Folks around EG were more interested in him being as close to home as possible.

What's really gonna suck is if he winds up in Athens or Gainesville. Golson is 10x better than any QB either of those teams have. To me that alone should be reason enough to try to get him so we don't have to play against him

That wouldn't be fair to Thompson and the other guys like Cooper that were busting their rump to try to make a bowl game. You never bail on a season just because you want to give some guys some practice for next year. You don't disrepect the players, the fans, and the game like that.

Too general a comment, IMO. Brad Scott sat Anthony Wright, who spent 10 years in the NFL, to give Phil Petty playing time. That playing time Petty received paid off for us in 2000.

We're really behind the eight ball going into next season because we have no quarterbacks with game experience.

Too general a comment, IMO. Brad Scott sat Anthony Wright, who spent 10 years in the NFL, to give Phil Petty playing time. That playing time Petty received paid off for us in 2000.

We're really behind the eight ball going into next season because we have no quarterbacks with game experience.

I don't care what Wright did in the NFL or in the previous years, that year he sucked and lost the job because of his performance.

What's really gonna suck is if he winds up in Athens or Gainesville. Golson is 10x better than any QB either of those teams have. To me that alone should be reason enough to try to get him so we don't have to play against him
yep 10x bettter than any other QB. He is the greatest QB to lose his job. And get out of town because he wasn't going to see the field.

Reactions: BlackCOCKDown
Good to know Jimbo won the heisman last year~

Golson visited with Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher on Monday, according to ESPN and the Palm Beach Post. The Seminoles are looking to replace Heisman Trophy winner Jimbo Fisher.

I wouldn't expect him to comment at all if he was pursuing him. I mean "yeah, we're really trying to get him, we could really use him, etc." would just raise expectations and might not be taken well by the guys we have already.

So the mere fact he said anything means he ain't coming. Interesting story while it lasted I guess. I really hope Mitch has made massive improvement because he looked like Tommy Beecher last year.

We have no idea what Mitch looked like last year. Don't compare him to a guy who got significant playing time.

"I really hope Mitch has made massive improvement because he looked like Tommy Beecher last year."

Uh, when? On those 10 snaps he took?

Not sure I agree. What Spurrier said was "we are not pursuing him. we are not really in that." I take that to mean he hasn't reached out to Golson nor has Golson reached out to him. Then he says, "if he comes to me and says he wants to be at USC, I may have to look at that." Sounds to me like the door is open if Golson wants to express interest by contacting Spurrier.

More than likely he will not come to USC and most on here know that. But when he does go somewhere else this give them the ok to go 100% bitch-fest on here.

Nah, I don't think he really knows what he has in Mitch or anyone, that is the problem. He can't make any guarantees because he doesn't now where he stands. Golson needs a guarantee because he has one year. Or he at least needs to have a good feeling that our QBs are bad and have no chance of giving him any real competition, and there is just not that sample size to make that decision. We are a talking about a coach that has decided Tommy Beecher is our best QB to start the year. This is the problem.
Agreed, this coming year reminds me of the Beecher year!!

?? I dont get that mindset at all. Once we lost 4 games, any chance of a significant bowl or winning the East went out the window. Fair? This is college football and you never want to go into the next year with little to no experience at QB. There are ways to get the backup in the game. Not sure how any of that disrespects the fans, players etc. We ended up 6-6 so it wasnt like we were up for a BCS type bowl.

Not sure I agree. What Spurrier said was "we are not pursuing him. we are not really in that." I take that to mean he hasn't reached out to Golson nor has Golson reached out to him. Then he says, "if he comes to me and says he wants to be at USC, I may have to look at that." Sounds to me like the door is open if Golson wants to express interest by contacting Spurrier.

"if he comes to me and says he wants to be at USC, I may have to look at that.""

Did Spurrier say this? I didnt see it in the article. Could be my lack of focus though. To be honest I would feel better if we at least made an attempt even if he went elsewhere but still think we are not making any attempt. May not have made a difference anyway.

Yeah I will retract the Beecher comment. It was a small sample size and that's unfair to Mitch. Maybe because he wears the same number and wasn't too confident the comparison seeped into my brain. I guess the latter is Spurrier's fault for lack of PT.

Man, if only we had Golson. We could probably make a run for the NC this season. We have obviously worked around academics before, (with some of the dumba$$es we have fielded) so why not now?

Reactions: Heyward1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT