ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier would be licking his chops with this offense

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
We have a couple of solid running backs who can get the job done, but the depth and talent at WR and TE are simply amazing. Um... and we have a QB with the most potential perhaps ever.

We had some great players on O with Spurrier, but never this depth.

Of course the O-line is still the big question mark.

Reactions: Brace1
We have a couple of solid running backs who can get the job done, but the depth and talent at WR and TE are simply amazing. Um... and we have a QB with the most potential perhaps ever.

Oh no, that would have been too much work for him. He is a quitter of then highest order.

His faith in his WR coach's recruiting Steve Spurrier Jr., was wrong and we would never have accumulated this talent, no way we get both the Smiths committed after getting Edwards.

The rise of Dabo as a no name WR coach who had been out of football for a little bit to interim coach to HC was in part due to the horrific job Junior did at recruiting WR's then translated over to us as recruiting coordinator. We got Alshon and some WR's but missed all over the place in hindsight with Jr's lackadaisical approach.

Go look at the DeAndre Hoptkins recruitment, yes its Daniel, Clemson was his football offer, i think our staff would of shown more interest earlier

Junior missed top talent while Dabo and Co was busy, One problem Muschamp has is he is not going and against Son of Spurrier this greatly helped Clemson's rise

Kornblut 8/11/08

Daniel’s DeAndre Hopkins (63 185) is one of the state’s top junior propsects in basketball and football, and he’s not sure which one he wants to play in college. “I’m not thinking about either,” Hopkins said Monday night. “I’m just enjoying high school sports right now.” Hopkins said he has basketball offers from USC, Florida and Wake Forest, and a football offer from Clemson. He’s also hearing in football from USC, Florida State, Florida, Alabama, Auburn and Virginia. Of all the schools, Hopkins said Clemson is pulling him the hardest for football. “They’re talking about taking care of me as a player and a student,” Hopkins said. “They tell me how I can succeed on the football field.” Hopkins said the USC basketball staff also has been working him hard and he talked recently with a Gamecock coach.

February 21, 2008

Clemson Standing Strong With Sophomore WR

By Phil Kornblut
WR Martavis Bryant (6-4 180) of Calhoun Falls has the chance to be one of the stars of the 2010 class. As a sophomore he caught 47 passes for 803 yards and three touchdowns. He returned eight kicks for 208 yards and eight punts for 107 yards. He also had 18 tackles as a cornerback. According to his coach Kenya Fouch, Bryant has unofficial offers from Clemson and Kentucky, and the Tigers are in a position right now for an early commitment. "They hope to have him sewn up by the end of the summer," said Fouch, a former player at Georgia Tech and Furman. Bryant has been to junior days at USC and Georgia and will go to Clemson this Saturday. Fouch said Clemson has been more involved with Bryant thus far than USC.

Last edited:
Maybe he can phone in a few play calls, like he did at Duke that game he was suspended. But now he can do it from the bar! lol

Going to be some major disappointment around here if this offense struggles...
Even Clemson's offense last year had its games of little production. I worry about the safety of some of you if that happens.

I'm not anti-Spurrier like most of this board, but I'm sure he still would have had us scratching our heads at times. Dowdle totes the rock down the entire field, so let's line up with an empty backfield and throw 3 passes from the 9 yard line...stuff like that.

A question for those misguided fans who will never forgive SOS for quitting in the middle of a year. Have you ever coached kids in a sport, or more specifically, have you ever experienced burnout in the middle of a season? Yes, the man has his faults. We all know that Spurrier himself has never been a great recruiter. We also know he was never very good at vetting his coordinators or position coaches when a better one left. To SOS, getting a new coach quickly seemed to be more important than finding the right fit for the program. At every stop in his HOF coaching career, he always erred on the side of loyalty and familial connections. However, the man was burnt out from coaching after 35 years in the business .... it was simply a cumulative effect .... it could've happened at Duke, Florida, Tampa Bay, or Washington if the timing of those jobs had been reversed. It was nothing personal against Gamecock football. A friend who experienced a very similar end to his coaching career once related to me his story. He cared so much about the program, his boys, and the fans that he eventually had nothing else to give. Like Spurrier, he was not a coaching workaholic, but had much sustained success at the high school level, where he won several titles and sent many players to D1 and a few to the NFL. Just the emotional and mental drainage of constantly trying to better kids while simultaneously juggling press obligations, college recruiters, and weight room oversight slowly took a toll on his desire, even with the great success. For a fire to burn out, there first must be a flame. Remember, SOS begged Tanner and Pastides to let him retire after the 2014 season, but they talked him back into one more year. I'm so thankful that Spurrier resigned when he did so the program could start moving forward again, and I believe that his motives were pure in that timing. I'll always be grateful to Coach Spurrier, not just for the "high 5" and "top 10" years, but also for his honesty in leaving when he had nothing else to give to Gamecock football.

This offense could be one of our best ever if the offensive line is decent. That's a huge "if." Our O-line was atrocious last year. Part of that was probably Elliott who likely knew he was on his way out. Make no mistake, we're going to need Wolford to get our lineman playing better quickly. That line is going to get tested week 1 against NC State.

Reactions: Tas Burfoot
A question for those misguided fans who will never forgive SOS for quitting in the middle of a year. Have you ever coached kids in a sport, or more specifically, have you ever experienced burnout in the middle of a season? Yes, the man has his faults. We all know that Spurrier himself has never been a great recruiter. We also know he was never very good at vetting his coordinators or position coaches when a better one left. To SOS, getting a new coach quickly seemed to be more important than finding the right fit for the program. At every stop in his HOF coaching career, he always erred on the side of loyalty and familial connections. However, the man was burnt out from coaching after 35 years in the business .... it was simply a cumulative effect .... it could've happened at Duke, Florida, Tampa Bay, or Washington if the timing of those jobs had been reversed. It was nothing personal against Gamecock football. A friend who experienced a very similar end to his coaching career once related to me his story. He cared so much about the program, his boys, and the fans that he eventually had nothing else to give. Like Spurrier, he was not a coaching workaholic, but had much sustained success at the high school level, where he won several titles and sent many players to D1 and a few to the NFL. Just the emotional and mental drainage of constantly trying to better kids while simultaneously juggling press obligations, college recruiters, and weight room oversight slowly took a toll on his desire, even with the great success. For a fire to burn out, there first must be a flame. Remember, SOS begged Tanner and Pastides to let him retire after the 2014 season, but they talked him back into one more year. I'm so thankful that Spurrier resigned when he did so the program could start moving forward again, and I believe that his motives were pure in that timing. I'll always be grateful to Coach Spurrier, not just for the "high 5" and "top 10" years, but also for his honesty in leaving when he had nothing else to give to Gamecock football.

Jerri, is that you? Because no one else believes that nonsense.

Reactions: rogue cock
Great perspective. Great post

This offense could be one of our best ever if the offensive line is decent. That's a huge "if." Our O-line was atrocious last year. Part of that was probably Elliott who likely knew he was on his way out. Make no mistake, we're going to need Wolford to get our lineman playing better quickly. That line is going to get tested week 1 against NC State.

What makes you think this? There are some nice parts. I really like Hurst and Deebo. Edwards is going to be good and I like the future of the freshman WR. Look to be above average at RB with depth. And Bentley, sky is the limit. But the OL was horrendous for most of last year. The play calling was poor and predictable enough that Clemosn was calling plays at the line of scrimmage based solely on formation. Bentley has all the potential in the world, but ran for his life most of the time.

I think they will be better, and I know everyone is excited about the new year, but I hear this every year. Nobody is happy with lets be better, have to get it all back at one time. I guess you are right in that 'if' this line is good, the O will be good, but this line has shown nothing close to good. It will take some time. I think we will look back at the Bentley era at Carolina and just hope it will not be a discussion of wasted talent because of the guys that were to protect him.

Jeeezzz..... Can we let this Spurrier thing go . Yes he quit on his team and yes he hired poor coaches and didn't recruit . Guess what else he did .... he took this program that has been a pile of garbage for the last Century and actually made it relevant. It's pointless to even dispute . You know he could have sat around for another 5-6 years or as long as he wanted like Bowden or Paterno and collected a pay check . He quit because he knew he didn't have it anymore . He could have stayed here another 10 years and gone .500 every year which is an upgrade over the previous 100 years and we would have NEVER fired him . He wanted to leave and the brass begged him to stay on because they knew this program was irrelevant at the time without him . face facts ..... he got old and needed to put out to pasture . It's gonna happen to all of us one day . No matter what he did he is the greatest coach in the history of this program ( which is kinda like being the tallest midget ). We blame Spurrier for the last two years ...... who do we blame for the previous 100 years ??? Give it a rest .

How many ballgames did we lose in this exact fashion??????
I don't have an encyclopedic memory of Gamecock sports like some people here, but I remember the fade to Alshon game, maybe against Bama at Bryant-Denny? I do remember many times that we would be pounding it down the field on the ground, then Spurrier would abruptly start calling a string of fancy pass plays. That would drive me crazy.

That said, I appreciate his time here and hold no ill will. I really wish our fans would chill out on him. I think they will forget about it the next time we taste some success.

Reactions: Jtowngamecock

Yes, I agree the O-line is a big question. However, even that can be overcome by having a QB who is highly accurate who can release the ball quickly.

I can remember many years when our O-line could not block well enough to spring a RB, but the QB could deliver to skilled receivers. (last year, for sure. but many times in past years)

Yes, I agree the O-line is a big question. However, even that can be overcome by having a QB who is highly accurate who can release the ball quickly.

I can remember many years when our O-line could not block well enough to spring a RB, but the QB could deliver to skilled receivers. (last year, for sure. but many times in past years)

I have also seen games that the QB did not have time to do that last year

I don't have an encyclopedic memory of Gamecock sports like some people here, but I remember the fade to Alshon game, maybe against Bama at Bryant-Denny? I do remember many times that we would be pounding it down the field on the ground, then Spurrier would abruptly start calling a string of fancy pass plays. That would drive me crazy.

That said, I appreciate his time here and hold no ill will. I really wish our fans would chill out on him. I think they will forget about it the next time we taste some success.

Cracks me up about the 3 fades.... I was at that Game sitting in the end zone at Bryant Denny . We were getting MAULED on both sides of the ball in the trenches . That Bama defense was one of the best in the history of college football and they were savage . I lost count of how many times Garcia was getting up off the ground . If we had 9 downs and four extra guys on the field They were still gonna stuff us at the goal line . There was no chance in Hell . Spurrier called those Fades because he had a 6'5 receiver on a 5'10 corner (who also was an all American and eventually a 1st round draft pick ) and that was the only chance we had to score . I don't remember a rush in that game besides a QB scramble that gained positive yardage . We could have put a rhino in at Fullback and they still would have stuffed us every time .

Reactions: DrMickey

Me too!!!! Or at the end of the game, when there is no reason to do anything other than run the ball to run out the clock, and he's throwing the darn ball, going 3 and out, and then the other team ends up with great field position and beats us.

Yeah, your memory sucks. That happened in Columbia in 2010.
Wot?
doro-wat-wet-wot-addis-ethiopia.jpg

Cracks me up about the 3 fades.... I was at that Game sitting in the end zone at Bryant Denny . We were getting MAULED on both sides of the ball in the trenches . That Bama defense was one of the best in the history of college football and they were savage . I lost count of how many times Garcia was getting up off the ground . If we had 9 downs and four extra guys on the field They were still gonna stuff us at the goal line . There was no chance in Hell . Spurrier called those Fades because he had a 6'5 receiver on a 5'10 corner (who also was an all American and eventually a 1st round draft pick ) and that was the only chance we had to score . I don't remember a rush in that game besides a QB scramble that gained positive yardage . We could have put a rhino in at Fullback and they still would have stuffed us every time .
I disagree that was our only option, but it was also not the worse plan ever. Seems like that would be a good time for some old Spurrier trickery, a fullback screen or something else....at least for one of those plays. Also, Alshon is 6'3".

Quite frankly that is an excuse that a child uses. Most adults have had jobs and obligations that were harder to fill that being a football coach. It was several more weeks we are talking about here...not another two year pull in SE Asia. Stop making excuses for him..he is a quitter.

Reactions: rogue cock
Jeeezzz..... Can we let this Spurrier thing go . Yes he quit on his team and yes he hired poor coaches and didn't recruit . Guess what else he did .... he took this program that has been a pile of garbage for the last Century and actually made it relevant. It's pointless to even dispute . You know he could have sat around for another 5-6 years or as long as he wanted like Bowden or Paterno and collected a pay check . He quit because he knew he didn't have it anymore . He could have stayed here another 10 years and gone .500 every year which is an upgrade over the previous 100 years and we would have NEVER fired him . He wanted to leave and the brass begged him to stay on because they knew this program was irrelevant at the time without him . face facts ..... he got old and needed to put out to pasture . It's gonna happen to all of us one day . No matter what he did he is the greatest coach in the history of this program ( which is kinda like being the tallest midget ). We blame Spurrier for the last two years ...... who do we blame for the previous 100 years ??? Give it a rest .

Marcus Lattimore is the one responsible for the turn around. Once Spurrier was able to pad his legacy with the first 11 win season he quit....and he did sit around collecting checks after that.

Reactions: Spurs Up
Marcus Lattimore is the one responsible for the turn around. Once Spurrier was able to pad his legacy with the first 11 win season he quit....and he did sit around collecting checks after that.

Quite frankly, I find to that to be rather simplistic reasoning. I don't recall Lattimore playing defense.
I will have to disagree with your obvious bias.

Reactions: king ward
Quite frankly that is an excuse that a child uses. Most adults have had jobs and obligations that were harder to fill that being a football coach. It was several more weeks we are talking about here...not another two year pull in SE Asia. Stop making excuses for him..he is a quitter.

Tell you what .... you coach a college or high school team for 30, 20 .... even 10 years, then come back to me with the "child's excuse" sentiment. Spurrier quit because he had no more energy or desire to do his job, take care of his team, and fulfill obligations to thousands of people who hung on his every word, watched and recorded his every step, even as most of you now bitter haters were worshipping at the altar of the 80 foot banner. Most intelligent folks understand that coaching a big time college football program is slightly above the stress level of meeting with the sales team every Wednesday, calling on a few clients, or driving a Good Humor truck!

Wow !!! This program was a dynasty before Spurrier got here I guess . I must have missed it . When Alabama, Ohio State , etc etc fans sit around and talk about the "Good ole Days" It includes national titles , and bowl wins , division titles and stuff like that . Before Spurrier , here's two USC fans talking about the Good Ole Day's.. " Hey man remember when we went 7-6 that one year , almost beat Clemson and Almost got into the Nobody Cares Bowl ... Man those were the days !!" The ONLY consistent success this program has ever had since electricity is the time Spurrier was here . That is an indisputable fact . Yes Marcus was the greatest gamechanger in USC history but if Spurrier wasn't the coach then Marcus has a national title ring because he's at Auburn just like Stephen Davis and all the other SC high school stars that never even considered USC because the program was a consistent loser or middle of the pack team . How many bowl games did win before Spurrier ?? 3 - Two with Lou and one with the pilesberry doughboy . 3 Bowl wins in 100 years of Football ???? It's hard to be that bad . Think about that for a minute . Also to your point about Marcus carrying Spurrier ... how many bowls did we win with Marcus on the field and how many times did we beat Clemson with Marcus on the field ?? Give the man his due . Say all you want about him because some of it true but facts are facts . Cracks me up how guys on this board will bash Spurrier because the program is back to where's it's been for a century . If anybody is to blame it's us for accepting it for so long . The only reason we are mad now is because Spurrier, and No one else, proved to us that is possible to actually win football games and actually compete for SEC titles in Columbia . If Spurrier never came to USC and we went 7-6 or 6-6 the last ten years , That stadium is still gonna be full and money will keep flowing . Contrast if Nick Saban or Urban Meyer go 8-4 for two years in a row they would both be unemployed.

ADVERTISEMENT