ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier's "Ball Plays" vs. Dabo's "All In"

Cock-Vader

Jun 17, 2010
I've boiled down what I believe is the central problem in our program. Let's look at phrases for which both Spurrier and Dabo are known, referenced in the thread title. Now this is just my observation but I think that Spurrier's passion lies in drawing up plays, analyzing defenses, and putting his QB and receivers in position to be successful. His play-calling and play-design are really what he's been known for as a coach.

Meanwhile, Dabo doesn't talk X's and O's, which is why many of us didn't take him seriously at all when he was hired. Hell, he wasn't even a coordinator... he couldn't know football that well, right? What Dabo talks about is culture. He wants his guys on board... pulling in the same direction. He leaves all the actual plays and play-calling to his assistants, perhaps because he wouldn't be very good at it or perhaps because he thinks all of that is secondary to maintaining that culture at all times, in the locker room, on the sidelines, at practice, in pressers, all the time.

Now there was a time when Spurrier's approach worked. In the 90's no one could figure his Ball Plays out. His offenses moved up and down the field on everyone and he won tons of SEC titles and a MNC. Then he left for the NFL and I think his failure there is telling. Now I'm a Redskins fan and I'm the first to admit that a lot of what happened there wasn't Spurrier's fault. However... he thought he could bring in Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews and that they would be successful as long as he called the right plays. But they weren't. Everyone in the NFL is sort of equal on a talent-level. What matters is your program's culture. Are your GM and your Coach on the same page? Does your owner let them do their job? Can you draft guys that fit what you are trying to do?

I think that this is a different generation of players. We were fortunate to have five seasons with some really elite talent, most of which we sort of inherited by default. We got Gilmore because Clemson fired Tommy Bowden. I think Clowney was coming to Carolina all along. I work in the same District with Lattimore's dad and while he considered Auburn, he was a heavy Carolina lean from his Junior year on. I mean, Spurrier still gets credit for signing those guys, but I think the day Clowney signed, he thought WE HAVE ARRIVED and just assumed that talent was going to keep showing up. Meanwhile, Dabo kept preaching culture and kept getting his butt kicked by Spurrier and that elite talent we had. The problem is that our talent ran out... and putting this generation of players in the right Ball Play isn't necessarily enough. We have no identity. We don't really seem to HAVE a culture. And so while Dabo's young players feel that they are part of something bigger than themselves, our guys are just sort of... there. And no Ball Plays can make up for the fact that everyone isn't exactly All In right now.

This is what I got.... Kids today are soft, to much pc, to much no free roaming kids. Today we have a bunch of sheep, just follow because it's to hard to be a leader. Listen to the bs and don't make waves. Never follow a a cultist/aka Daba doo. Don't raise your kids to be a sheep, we're South Carolinians, Raise your head and be proud. That's our history after all and F' those trying to bring you down.:)

Anarchy...Anarchy...Anarchy :D

This is what I got.... Kids today are soft, to much pc, to much no free roaming kids. Today we have a bunch of sheep, just follow because it's to hard to be a leader. Listen to the bs and don't make waves. Never follow a a cultist/aka Daba doo. Don't raise your kids to be a sheep, we're South Carolinians, Raise your head and be proud. That's our history after all and F' those trying to bring you down.:)

Anarchy...Anarchy...Anarchy :D

Yeah, but couldn't that be used to describe a bunch of our fans of the University of Steve Spurrier? The Cult is alive and strong within the Carolina community.

Reactions: LazyIslander
Yeah how about don't hire a coach because he was once great and old, all the while laughing at the guy who goes with his gut and hires the inexperienced young guy with heart.

It wasn't just hire a young guy with heart. It was a young guy who could sell ice to an Eskimo and has surrounded himself with other great salesman. Do you honestly think Jeff Scott is a good coach? He's a recruiter who identifies with young 18 year old kids. Dabo playing the religion card with the African American mothers of the kids he's recruiting doesn't hurt either.

I've boiled down what I believe is the central problem in our program. Let's look at phrases for which both Spurrier and Dabo are known, referenced in the thread title. Now this is just my observation but I think that Spurrier's passion lies in drawing up plays, analyzing defenses, and putting his QB and receivers in position to be successful. His play-calling and play-design are really what he's been known for as a coach.

Meanwhile, Dabo doesn't talk X's and O's, which is why many of us didn't take him seriously at all when he was hired. Hell, he wasn't even a coordinator... he couldn't know football that well, right? What Dabo talks about is culture. He wants his guys on board... pulling in the same direction. He leaves all the actual plays and play-calling to his assistants, perhaps because he wouldn't be very good at it or perhaps because he thinks all of that is secondary to maintaining that culture at all times, in the locker room, on the sidelines, at practice, in pressers, all the time.

Now there was a time when Spurrier's approach worked. In the 90's no one could figure his Ball Plays out. His offenses moved up and down the field on everyone and he won tons of SEC titles and a MNC. Then he left for the NFL and I think his failure there is telling. Now I'm a Redskins fan and I'm the first to admit that a lot of what happened there wasn't Spurrier's fault. However... he thought he could bring in Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews and that they would be successful as long as he called the right plays. But they weren't. Everyone in the NFL is sort of equal on a talent-level. What matters is your program's culture. Are your GM and your Coach on the same page? Does your owner let them do their job? Can you draft guys that fit what you are trying to do?

I think that this is a different generation of players. We were fortunate to have five seasons with some really elite talent, most of which we sort of inherited by default. We got Gilmore because Clemson fired Tommy Bowden. I think Clowney was coming to Carolina all along. I work in the same District with Lattimore's dad and while he considered Auburn, he was a heavy Carolina lean from his Junior year on. I mean, Spurrier still gets credit for signing those guys, but I think the day Clowney signed, he thought WE HAVE ARRIVED and just assumed that talent was going to keep showing up. Meanwhile, Dabo kept preaching culture and kept getting his butt kicked by Spurrier and that elite talent we had. The problem is that our talent ran out... and putting this generation of players in the right Ball Play isn't necessarily enough. We have no identity. We don't really seem to HAVE a culture. And so while Dabo's young players feel that they are part of something bigger than themselves, our guys are just sort of... there. And no Ball Plays can make up for the fact that everyone isn't exactly All In right now.

I think that you're dead on. Let's also not forget that while he may not be the same caliber of "play-caller" that SOS is (and I don't think he is), Dabo did play ball at Bama and earned a scholarship so he is not as inadequate as some here want to believe. The pure facts are SOS is losing now to teams we should not be losing to and Dabo is beating top 10 teams (his record against top 10 teams is now 7-3 which is a fact that can't be argued). We are looking worse and worse each week, and no, it's not because our QB is hurt (remember what Clemmons did to Oklahoma with Cole Stout in their bowl game last year?

Great post. Spurrier is a brilliant play caller, but in today's game he is not interested in or good at a lot of the things a head coach needs to do really well. Sad and frustrating for all.

I agree with what you are saying. While Spurrier is a great play caller he is his own man for sure. I get the opportunity to see about 3-4 USC games a year and I have noticed a few things. If you watch him during games he does not really talk to players much at all. I find this very odd for a head coach. During the game when the offense is off the field he is on the sidelines way off to the side talking on the headset. I'm sure he is trying to come up with some new plays. Has it always been that way,

I watch Dabo and he is in every huddle on the sidelines lines. Praising players on good plays and in their face when they screw up. He is absolutely "coaching" the entire game. He has a passion for improving players on and off the field.

Reactions: ccotney
Yes he is a great playcaller . Problem is he isn't even calling the plays anymore or recruits. 4 million to stand there like Bowden did. We might have just dropped to the cellar faster than anyone would have ever thought.

Yes he is a great playcaller . Problem is he isn't even calling the plays anymore or recruits. 4 million to stand there like Bowden did. We might have just dropped to the cellar faster than anyone would have ever thought.

You're right as far as what is going on right now... but I think the seeds for this failure were planted when we landed players like Clowney so easily.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT