ADVERTISEMENT

Spurs Up

Garnetskies

Nov 30, 2017
Great pickup 6'5 275 dlineman that is very light on his feet.I like guys that also play bball.I believe this kid will greatly outplay his ranking.Yes he is a 3 star but this kid is more like a top 150-200 guy and if camp season was still going like normal ,bet he would be.Go Cocks

Last edited:
The U lands another 3☆. This class is shaping up nicely. We might finish 8th or 9th in the Conference in recruiting. SMH

Reactions: Heyward1
Good to see T.J Sanders wanting to be part of the South Carolina football program.

Taken from the Big Spur "The No. 6-ranked prospect from the state of South Carolina is listed No. 37 among all defensive tackles in the country. Six months ago, he was an under-the-radar recruit, coming off his first season of high school football.".

The U lands another 3☆. This class is shaping up nicely. We might finish 8th or 9th in the Conference in recruiting. SMH

Man you should grow up! A kid commits to play for the University that you proclaim to give thousands of dollars to and you dog him for only being a 3*.

It’s ok to get after Champ or Tanner for your frustration, they are paid to do a job and haven’t produced. But, lay off the future Gamecocks.

I agree. Crappy ass kid committing to a crappy ass school. We should just tell every crappy ass 3 * recruit to **** off.

Reactions: cockofdawn
This is something I have been thinking about, for a while. It is now into July. During a normal recruiting season, by this time there would have been multiple prep camps, combines, 7-on-7 tournaments and competitions. Tons of in-person opportunities to gauge the prep talent, and how well they've developed since their junior seasons in high school.

So you have the legit "can't miss" 5-star talent. They've long been men among boys in high school. They've earned starting roles as freshmen and sophomores, and by the time they're juniors, they are state leaders in their categories. They have the physical measurements that would impress, even if they were seniors. So they get the ton of major program offers early on, their names get thrown around as the models and examples for their classes, and of course they garner all the star ratings....

Then you have the next class of kid, who may have the measurables and frame to have potential, but hasn't yet shown the dominance on the field yet, or was a year or so away from a weight program into turning themselves into beasts. So they are being monitored by staffs to see how well they develop, but haven't gotten the load of offers yet.

It would be this off-season of those camps, where those kids show those staffs. But the virus has shut everything down. So there's a ton of 3* kids out there - kids who have the body-types for Div-I programs, but need to show more if they are major Div-I program material. These are those kids every summer who get the bumps up in the ratings services, and go from 3* to 4*, and low 3* to high 3*.

It remains to be seen what kind of prep talent we've been recruiting this cycle. But in the past, we've offered lower-rated kids, who then started getting offers from a bunch of other top programs until they rise up to a higher rating. That usually required a healthy summer camp regimen, to let those other staffs see what type of talent that kid has, and we don't have that aspect this summer.....

Man you should grow up! A kid commits to play for the University that you proclaim to give thousands of dollars to and you dog him for only being a 3*.

It’s ok to get after Champ or Tanner for your frustration, they are paid to do a job and haven’t produced. But, lay off the future Gamecocks.

Don’t let posters like this get to you. Just saying this poster is like this daily. No one is sure if he is a troll but if he’s not it’s even more sad

Please show me where I said one negative thing about this kid?

Last edited:
Please show me where I said one negative thing about this kid?

Every-time we get a “3*recruit“ you very cynically respond with post along the line of oh great just another 3* or 3* U. You do this in posts about a recruit joining our beloved Gamecock family. This is not the overt dogging that you are referring to but a subtle trashing that they are not worthy of our consideration.

I am not saying that I don’t want higher rated recruits. But, I am going to welcome and look for the upside in every player that commits to us. Young Mr. Sanders has a lot of upside.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Every-time we get a “3*recruit“ you very cynically respond with post along the line of oh great just another 3* or 3* U. You do this in posts about a recruit joining our beloved Gamecock family. This is not the overt dogging that you are referring to but a subtle trashing that they are not worthy of our consideration.

I am not saying that I don’t want higher rated recruits. But, I am going to welcome and look for the upside in every player that commits to us. Young Mr. Sanders has a lot of upside.
I didn't know 3 star is a derogatory term. Maybe we should cancel out star ranking players. If it offends people when stating what a player is rated.

Great pickup 6'5 275 dlineman that is very light on his feet.I like guys that also play bball.I believe this kid will greatly outplay his ranking.Yes he is a 3 star but this kid is more like a top 150-200 guy and if camp season was still going like normal ,bet he would be.Go Cocks
Makes you wonder why no other decent team Even had him on the radar.

So just be happy we can beat out Kentucky and Vanderbilt in recruiting. Give up on winning a Conference Championship, go back to clapping after a game, if we play a good team close.

Man if you want to start a thread about your disappointment, fine. How bout stop with your shitty comments when some 17 kid commits to playing for SC. It's really low class, IMHO.

Man if you want to start a thread about your disappointment, fine. How bout stop with your shitty comments when some 17 kid commits to playing for SC. It's really low class, IMHO.
How was my first comment shitty? Everything I said was factual and true. We got a another 3 star this class is shaping up nicely to finish 8th or 9th in the Conference

I didn't know 3 star is a derogatory term. Maybe we should cancel out star ranking players. If it offends people when stating what a player is rated.
No offense to me. But you know that it’s meant as a slap at him not being a higher rated commitment. I choose to look at him this way...

“Sanders has a three-star rating in the 247Sports Composite, and is the 39th ranked defensive tackle in the country and the #5 prospect in South Carolina. He had 54 tackles last season.” He has only played one year of football and is a basketball player as well. I am hopeful that it translates to having good footwork. I am also thinking that had there been camps that he would have exploded in the recruiting circles. His upside is very high. After the 1 season of HS football, he is already rated the 39th best DT in the country.

Likely because he goes to a small school in the middle of nowhere, and he’s only played one year of football.

The virus killed off chances for kids like him to be seen in camps raising their profile.

If you look back, one thing this Staff has been known for is identifying under the radar kids early, then having other programs jump in once the kids become better known. IMHO many of the kids some of our “fans” are disappointed with stand a good chance of exploding once they get here. I don’t get the doom and gloom attitude.

This kid is raw, he’s only played one year. But he’s very projectible, he’s a basketball player, he has good size and can move. Tracy Rocker likes what he sees, let’s see what he can do with him. He shouldn’t have any bad habits he needs to unlearn.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs
I don’t get the doom and gloom attitude.

The team is coming off a 4-8 season, including a home loss to App state. By the end of the season they didn’t even look like they belonged on the same field as A&M and Clemson. And they are currently in the midst of arguably the school’s worst recruiting cycle in 20 years.

The team is coming off a 4-8 season, including a home loss to App state. By the end of the season they didn’t even look like they belonged on the same field as A&M and Clemson. And they are currently in the midst of arguably the school’s worst recruiting cycle in 20 years.

I get it.

I also understand that after Jake went down we were left with one true QB, a true freshman who wound up taking more hits than a crash test dummy. At one point we were down to one RB due to in game injuries. We had OL down with injuries. We were thin on experience at WR. Our DBackfield was young.

I’m optimistic. I get why he promoted BMac to OC, it didn’t work out. IMHO Bobo is going to be a huge upgrade. I think the offense should be better. I think the defense should be better. Will it be enough? I don’t know, but I’m not going to be all doom and gloom like others here.

Hear hear.

I get it.

I also understand that after Jake went down we were left with one true QB, a true freshman who wound up taking more hits than a crash test dummy. At one point we were down to one RB due to in game injuries. We had OL down with injuries. We were thin on experience at WR. Our DBackfield was young.

I’m optimistic. I get why he promoted BMac to OC, it didn’t work out. IMHO Bobo is going to be a huge upgrade. I think the offense should be better. I think the defense should be better. Will it be enough? I don’t know, but I’m not going to be all doom and gloom like others here.

how is the defense going to be better? No Kinlaw etc.

You don't replace that type player immediately, even at Bama or Ohio State but Rick Sandidge should come into his own during his 3rd full season, as well as Zacc Pickens and then you have several others.The DB depth should improve as well as the experience and at LB the starting 3 lbs should be the best and probably fastest group we have had in a long time.Worry about the depth but there is young talent there.The offense if it picks up to be even average , the possibilities.Imagine if we had an even above average offense last year ,we would have won 7-9 games because the D played well enough to win most games.

Dude many others may not think much of our coach ,coaching wise but they trust his evaluation skills from the recruiting side as look at the usual suspects who usually follow up with offers after we do....Tennessee, G Tech and many others. Specifically defensive offers.

Reactions: anon_n4c0cp5zhdxn7

Kinlaw indeed was a great player for us, as was Wonnum. But I think at DL as a whole our overall depth is better, ideally we’re getting to the point we don’t have as much of a drop off when we substitute players.

LB should be solid, possibly improved.

The DB’s who were forced to be the leaders of the D Backfield as true Sophs are now Jr’s, and several of our true freshmen received experience last year.

Maybe I’m wrong, and if so at the end of the season I’ll readily admit it. I just think we’ll be better, I’m not currently joining the group who have already written off the season hoping Muschamp gets fired just so we can hire “someone” else who has a 50% chance of doing better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT