ADVERTISEMENT

St. Bonaventure

Bob Lanier was their center if I recall, and he was a man.
Bob Lanier tore up his knee here at the Carolina Coliseum in the East Regional Finals in a game against Villanova in 1970 I believe. They won the game and went on to play in the final four against Jacksonville with Artis Gilmore. They lost by 4, but if Lanier was not hurt, they would have played UCLA (in between the Alcindor and Walton Years) in the championship.

Bob Lanier tore up his knee here at the Carolina Coliseum in the East Regional Finals in a game against Villanova in 1970 I believe...
Uhh, given your UN, I gotta ask, is that you Bob??

=;-p

Bob Lanier tore up his knee here at the Carolina Coliseum in the East Regional Finals in a game against Villanova in 1970 I believe. They won the game and went on to play in the final four against Jacksonville with Artis Gilmore. They lost by 4, but if Lanier was not hurt, they would have played UCLA (in between the Alcindor and Walton Years) in the championship.
Had Roche not injured his ankle, the Bonnies would likely have faced us instead of NC State in the semis.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I remember having that 1970 or 71 SI preseason basketball poll mag. I think we were #2 if I remember correctly! It was amazing how many good small college teams were in New York, I think Manhattan and St John's were also pretty good! Seems like Canisius was good at one time?

The regional at home we missed by losing to N.C. State in the ACC Tournament, before at-large teams were brought into the Dance. Still one of the two most tragic losses in Gamecock sports history.

Ah, the Bonnies. As I kid thought that was a cool name and those used to be some great games. Weren't schools like Stetson and Niagra on the schedule a lot back in the day as well?

Seems I remember close games against those schools also.

Ah, the Bonnies. As I kid thought that was a cool name and those used to be some great games. Weren't schools like Stetson and Niagra on the schedule a lot back in the day as well?

Niagara had a good program (Calvin Murphy was something else). Also the LIU (Long Island University) Blackbirds made some noise back in the day.

Niagara had a good program (Calvin Murphy was something else). Also the LIU (Long Island University) Blackbirds made some noise back in the day.

Calvin Murphy!

Had forgot about him. The baton twirling enforcer. Dude could shoot too.

If anyone wants a sure thing bet, take the Bonnies over Florida in the 11/6 seed late Thursday night.

Ah, the Bonnies. As I kid thought that was a cool name and those used to be some great games. Weren't schools like Stetson and Niagara on the schedule a lot back in the day as well?

Yes, McGuire scheduled them when our former ACC brethren sans Clemron dropped us like a hot potato. And not playing our old rivals at all really hurt, IMO.

frank played all of 'em bead stringers once we went indy.......u never saw so many signs of the cross
I think we actually played ND while we were still in the ACC. In fact, I know we did. I remember beating them up there on a Wednesday and then opening the ACC season on a Saturday.

I think we actually played ND while we were still in the ACC. In fact, I know we did. I remember beating them up there on a Wednesday and then opening the ACC season on a Saturday.

johnny dee would give frank a run for being dapper, but dont think he ever beat him

They still hurt from it here is a article 2 days about it LOL, well timed by you

https://www.democratandchronicle.co...l-four-team-bob-lanier-larry-weise/418550002/

One of the things Lanier was known for was his big feet...largest in the league at the time...about a size 22 or 24 I think.

Sugar Bowl Tournament in NOLA in December 1969. South Bend during our final ACC season. Cola in our first indy season.

Back then, we played a few conference games in December, and a few non-conference games in January-February. Wish we still did that. I really hate that the Clemron games (both genders) get buried in the early part of the schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
I remember having that 1970 or 71 SI preseason basketball poll mag. I think we were #2 if I remember correctly! It was amazing how many good small college teams were in New York, I think Manhattan and St John's were also pretty good! Seems like Canisius was good at one time?

My first USC game was vs. Canisius in 1975.

Manhattan was good during that time span.

Reactions: king ward
Don't look at those 1969/70/71 seasons, it will make you sick!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969–70_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_men's_basketball_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970–71_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_men's_basketball_team

The 1970–71 South Carolina Gamecocks men's basketball team represented the University of South Carolina during the 1970–71 men's college basketball season. South Carolina won the ACC Tournament Championship, defeating North Carolina in the championship game 52-51.[1] This was the last season South Carolina ever played in the ACC. The success South Carolina achieved on the court brought resentment and anger from fellow ACC schools, especially those on "Tobacco Road," as the conference members of the state of North Carolina were known. The hostility of the road crowds, the unfriendly behavior of coaches and athletic directors in the conference, and the discrepancies in eligibility standards led head coach Frank McGuire to support South Carolina becoming an Independent before the 1971-72 season.[2] Despite South Carolina leaving the ACC in 1971, (as of 2018) they still remain the only school in the state of South Carolina to win an ACC tournament championship, even though Clemson, still remains in the ACC.[3]

I couldn't have said it any better myself!

Last edited:
Reactions: cockhornleghorn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT