ADVERTISEMENT

Staley criticizes, then retracts criticism of, Maria Hickman (Sr. Assoc. AD)

We need somebody else who is versed in it to take our university and our athletic department to another level.”

This is an actual quote from Dawn. Did she come out with the exact words that she should be fired? No. But the statement basically says the same thing. Of course without knowing the facts, Dawn felt compelled to put on her social justice warrior cape and make a statement.

"we need somebody else" means demanding to be fired"? okay

I think the statement Dawn was trying to make is that this position requires someone with an experienced skill set versed in dealing with politics and ancient mindsets. I wish Maria much success.

Staley took it upon herself to apologize publicly for her earlier comments. So refreshing to see a leader with the good grace and humility to admit when they were wrong.

Pretty weak apology, should have been a lot more after completely throwing her under the bus when she obviously didn't know what she was talking about. Hickman is loved by everybody that works with her, she is as good as anybody in the country at her job.

Reactions: PC31 and 76MACC
IKR

Gamecocks_WBB_2019_20_.0.jpg
Definitely not much diversity in this picture.

Reactions: Millertime6289
Are you serious??? You are complaining about Dawn's recruiting?
I guess Muschamp and Saban, and Dabo should recruit more white players because Christian McCaffery is a hell of a running back.
The argument was being made that she wants more blacks in administrative posititons in the Athletic Dept. OK. I get it...but what about more whites being represented on the bb team? Is that not a legitimate question to ask? I'm fully supportive of Dawn and the women's bb team...Dawn has the world by the string now..why did she have to make that comment to begin with? She did it to cause a stir. And when the stir backfired, she apologized to make herself look good for causing the stir....GO Figure....

Reactions: BreatheUT
Right. She said she needed to be replaced. Serious statement. AD had to have a serious conversation with her.

Unless that conversation is “please don’t leave, you are the only success I can point to in my tenure” I highly suggest Ray not take a contentious tone with Dawn. She can write her own ticket just about anywhere else at this point.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Exactly the point i was making. If youare going to complain about a lack of diversity, it looks odd when there isnt much diversity on your own team. Dawn gets great players, but does she even pursue and offer white players? I never really thought about it before her diversity statemement but find the irony of the makeup of her team and her diversity statement interesting. CDS is the best coach we have bar none but sweep your own back door before criticizing others

These girls are pretty, but...

I think I would have them all stand or sit lady like... Too many crotch shots....

#24 get rid of the knee pads, and replace them with the knee socks like #21 or #32 and find knee socks for #15 to cover up the scars...

That blonde in the back and #12 are two hotties...
Would you critique the football team the same way? Just asking.

Dawn, stay in your lane. Your paid to Coach and represent woman’s basketball which you do very well. Not push your social and political views on anyone else.

Reactions: Cybercock
How many whining about Dawn actually go to the games and support the team anyway? She'll continue to recruit top talent and win championships and the fans will continue to support her and the team. I hope she retires here. She's by far the best coach we have now and when all is said and done might be the best ever to be at South Carolina. Look at the makeup of most elite teams, especially basketball. Take a look at ESPN's top female players. Dawn gets the top players. She's not going to pass on an elite recruit in order to add a slow white girl. Some of you want her to shut up and dribble. Ain't happening. She is loved by this community and by her fan base.

Reactions: cockal
Definitely not much diversity in this picture.

Actually this is the most diverse team Staley has had since arriving at USC. You can look at the rosters on the USC website for each year since she began coaching here and find the following makeup of her teams:

2009: 12-1
2010: 11-1
2011: 10-1
2012: 12-2
2013: 12-0
2014: 12-0
2015: 15-0
2016: 14-0
2017: 12-0
2018: 12-0
2019: 12-1
2020: 10-2

That's right - she had 6 consecutive years between 2013-2018 with all black players. The average makeup of her teams has been 94.3% black. She should start looking in the mirror when she talks about the need for diversity because her teams aren't showing it. I guess she really does like 'people who look like me'.

Reactions: Tmac069
Actually this is the most diverse team Staley has had since arriving at USC. You can look at the rosters on the USC website for each year since she began coaching here and find the following makeup of her teams:

2009: 12-1
2010: 11-1
2011: 10-1
2012: 12-2
2013: 12-0
2014: 12-0
2015: 15-0
2016: 14-0
2017: 12-0
2018: 12-0
2019: 12-1
2020: 10-2

That's right - she had 6 consecutive years between 2013-2018 with all black players. The average makeup of her teams has been 94.3% black. She should start looking in the mirror when she talks about the need for diversity because her teams aren't showing it. I guess she really does like 'people who look like me'.
You are exactly right. Guess diversity is only important when it fits your narrative!

Reactions: BreatheUT
How do ya'll explain Lisa Boyer who has been with Dawn for years if you think Dawn is racist?

I've heard from friends that are in the womans sports world that staley does not think highly of white people. I know this will not go over well here. lol

How do ya'll explain Lisa Boyer who has been with Dawn for years if you think Dawn is racist?
I don’t think Dawn is racist. I think that she, like many people, is more comfortable with people she feels a familiarity with. That could mean coaches she has connections or history with, or players she might believe have shared experiences.

I've heard from friends that are in the womans sports world that staley does not think highly of white people. I know this will not go over well here. lol
I don't know Dawn personally but I don't see that in her social media or interaction with the fans. Many blacks have reason to not think highly of certain whites.

Go look at 2 of our biggest competitors in the SEC from 2019. Mississippi State coached, at the time, by a Vic Schaefer a white man. Tennessee coached by Kelly Harper, white woman. Yet almost all of their players were black. In fact Dawn had as many or more white players than either of them. Take a look at any elite college basketball team, men or women. The racial make-up is not much different than ours.

Go look at 2 of our biggest competitors in the SEC from 2019. Mississippi State coached, at the time, by a Vic Schaefer a white man. Tennessee coached by Kelly Harper, white woman. Yet almost all of their players were black. In fact Dawn had as many or more white players than either of them. Take a look at any elite college basketball team, men or women. The racial make-up is not much different than ours.
So it’s a widespread issue?

LOOK AT THE NFL AND NBA! It’s basically that way! Why not more white players? You know why? Because it’s based off of who’s the better person suited for the job.
One job is based on athletic ability. The other is not. Not exactly comparing apples to apples.

ADVERTISEMENT