ADVERTISEMENT

Staley criticizes, then retracts criticism of, Maria Hickman (Sr. Assoc. AD)

To sustain a top-5 program, you need to sign elite players. If no elite White players will give us serious consideration, who exactly is she supposed to sign if she wants to sustain the program’s success? The argument that she isn’t concerned about diversity would only work if (1) she was drafting her team rather than recruiting it (or if someone could show we don’t recruit White players); or (2) you or anyone else could make a straight-faced argument that the fans or the university to whom she is beholden would rather she sign lower ranked White players in the name of diversity than win a lot of games.

Let's take your argument then, how know do we that blacks were not considered for Hickman's position? Do we hire a less qualified black for that position just to get to a black figure? Does Tanner make a straight faced argument to the university and the fans to whom he is beholden to hire less qualified blacks in the name of diversity just to appease a small sect of the population?

Let's take your argument then, how know do we that blacks were not considered for Hickman's position? Do we hire a less qualified black for that position just to get to a black figure? Does Tanner make a straight faced argument to the university and the fans to whom he is beholden to hire less qualified blacks in the name of diversity just to appease a small sect of the population?
Umm, Hickman IS Black.

Reactions: Gamekem and shiverz
The irony is palpable.
Indeed. Coach Staley’s statement had nothing to do with Hickman’s race. She was an academic officer that Staley (apparently incorrectly, based on her retraction) assumed didn’t have the bona fides to be effective in the role. But this entire thread has turned instead into a critique of her comments re: the BLM protests even though the two had nothing to do w/one another.

Last edited:
Seems you just assumed Dawn was complaining about a white woman.
YES!!!!! AND TO KEEP KEEP THE MOUTH SHUT OR ATLEAST DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU SPEAK....that way you don't have to apologize and CAUSE HARD FEELINGS....
And you accused Dawn of not doing her homework. Seems you didn't follow your own advise.
Hickman_Maria19.jpg

https://gamecocksonline.com/staff-directory/maria-hickman/228

Last edited:
:confused:I recall another post from earlier this year about a Twitter or FB post that Coach Staley made complaining that she doesn’t have more black colleagues. She seems disgruntled. It looks weird when Staley says stuff like this when she recruits almost exclusively black players. o_O

I am white. I had a job in the past where the vast majority of my co-workers were black. And not only that, but the people I dealt with were black due to the area I was assigned. I noticed this. But It never bothered me or affected me in a negative way. I never thought to myself that they should hire more white people to even things out.

Last edited:
Umm, Hickman IS Black.
agreed....but still my whole point in all of this is 1) keep your mouth shut until you have all the facts; 2) there are usually a fair number of white girls in the ESPN GURLZ Hoops top 20 that are not considering Carolina? Why? (I think we know the answer to that question. 3) Hiring based on race never works out well....Peace

agreed....but still my whole point in all of this is 1) keep your mouth shut until you have all the facts; 2) there are usually a fair number of white girls in the ESPN GURLZ Hoops top 20 that are not considering Carolina? Why? (I think we know the answer to that question. 3) Hiring based on race never works out well....Peace
There’s another poster above that provided names of a bunch of white players we recruited but who chose to sign elsewhere. All the staff can do is recruit them... they have no say in where the players sign. But don’t let facts get in the way of a good agenda!

Why are the White girls in the ESPN GURLZ hoops top 20 not Considering South Carolina?

Last edited:
There’s another poster above that provided names of a bunch of white players we recruited but who chose to sign elsewhere. All the staff can do is recruit them... they have no say in where the players sign. But don’t let facts get in the way of a good agenda!
Looking at this tread a few people don't understand the difference between the hiring process vs the recruiting process.

Why are the White girls in the ESPN GURLZ hoops top 20 not Considering South Carolina?
I will just wager a guess...not fact..JUST A GUESS...

White girls see that Dawn likes to recruit girls that look like her...She seems to want everyone around her to look like her...Could it be that this is also know on the High School Basketball circuit as well? The guy at Louisville is doing well with a mix of black and white top female bb athletes...I know there were some black girls that Dawn recruited that chose Louisville over us (Asia Durr)..nor sure about the white ones, but I will wager a guess none of the white girls were recruited by Dawn...after this post, I'm going to leave it alone. I think we all know...

Tell us what's in it. I don't have a subscription to the snake.

White girls see that Dawn likes to recruit girls that look like her...She seems to want everyone around her to look like her...Could it be that this is also know on the High School Basketball circuit as well? The guy at Louisville is doing well with a mix of black and white top female bb athletes...I know there were some black girls that Dawn recruited that chose Louisville over us (Asia Durr)..nor sure about the white ones, but I will wager a guess none of the white girls were recruited by Dawn...after this post, I'm going to leave it alone. I think we all know...

Why are you ignoring the list I gave you of all the white girls Dawn has recruited since 2017? I guess it does not fit your agenda. If you missed it go back to page 4.

Maybe you should do some research on where these top white players are located. Most of them are not in the SC recruiting foot print. SC has only been able to recruit nationally for only a few years unlike some of the other more established schools. Most of the elite players are on the other side of the country and have their pick of schools and nine times out of ten they are not going to attend SC . Since 2017 SC had offered Jessica Shepard, Haley Troup, Lindsay Duvall, Elissa Cunnane, Elysa Wesolex, Samantha Brunelle, Olivia Thompson, Isobell Antsey, Allison Campbell, Sydney Parrish, Cameron Brinks, and Kylie Watson. I am sure i am missing a few but you get my point. The majority of them chose to go elsewhere. Dawn can't force them to attend SC.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs

First you assumed Maria Hickman was white and then you assumed Dawn did not recruit white girls. Yes you should really leave this alone.

Maybe you should do some research on where these top white players are located. Most of them are not in the SC recruiting foot print. SC has only been able to recruit nationally for only a few years unlike some of the other more established schools. Most of the elite players are on the other side of the country and have their pick of schools and nine times out of ten they are not going to attend SC . Since 2017 SC had offered Jessica Shepard, Haley Troup, Lindsay Duvall, Elissa Cunnane, Elysa Wesolex, Samantha Brunelle, Olivia Thompson, Isobell Antsey, Allison Campbell, Sydney Parrish, Cameron Brinks, and Kylie Watson. I am sure i am missing a few but you get my point. The majority of them chose to go elsewhere. Dawn can't force them to attend SC.
Further, some just want to ignore the two white players on the team as if they don't exist. They shouldn't be erased just because they are not 5 star players or starters on the team. Boy, when people want to create an agenda they will just make stuff up.

Go look at 2 of our biggest competitors in the SEC from 2019. Mississippi State coached, at the time, by a Vic Schaefer a white man. Tennessee coached by Kelly Harper, white woman. Yet almost all of their players were black. In fact Dawn had as many or more white players than either of them. Take a look at any elite college basketball team, men or women. The racial make-up is not much different than ours.

The following is not an argument for or against but just a statement of fact. Harper inherited her team. You'll see a team more reflective of the Pat style in the future though I'm not comparing coaching chops. Just that Harper's approach to the recruiting skill set will be more technical based than raw athleticism.

The following is not an argument for or against but just a statement of fact. Harper inherited her team. You'll see a team more reflective of the Pat style in the future though I'm not comparing coaching chops. Just that Harper's approach to the recruiting skill set will be more technical based than raw athleticism.
So, the Pat Summitt style was recruit white players? Could have fooled me? It seemed that her style to me was recruit the best players possible and coach them hard. People need to stop with this. The rosters of most major basketball programs, male or female, are 70-80% Black.

So, the Pat Summitt style was recruit white players? Could have fooled me? It seemed that her style to me was recruit the best players possible and coach them hard. People need to stop with this. The rosters of most major basketball programs, male or female, are 70-80% Black.

Would you "stop this" if whites were 13% of the population but 80% of the sports teams? Or would you be screaming racism?

I think I already know the answer.

Reactions: Cybercock

Are you a UT fan? Because I followed Tennessee when Pat was there. She recruited big, fast, elite players who could DEFEND and shoot. There was nothing complicated or technical about her teams. They were just bigger and better than most teams they played. UConn was the technical team and that made for great basketball because of the contrast.

Further, some just want to ignore the two white players on the team as if they don't exist. They shouldn't be erased just because they are not 5 star players or starters on the team. Boy, when people want to create an agenda they will just make stuff up.

not reflective of the population at large ...do you see how moveable standards work?

Would you "stop this" if whites were 13% of the population but 80% of the sports teams? Or would you be screaming racism?

I think I already know the answer.
I might if Black players were not getting the opportunities. However, if they got the opportunities and failed, I would not have anything to say. There are tangible reasons why you don't have white, American basketball players in large numbers. The primary reason being confidence. In coaching White players, I have found that you have to build their confidence to believe they can play with the better players. It may be just the kids I have worked with, but I run into that dynamic. Further, the white kids I have worked with work on their shooting, but do not work on their ball handling enough to get off shots. The ones that work on those areas play. The ones that don't get on their reverse racism high horse. The problem with racism has never been numbers. The problem has been that you get athletes like a Lamar Jackson get discouraged to play a position or Black coaches getting pigeon-holed as recruiters to maintain a narrative.

Someone brought up Harper specifically. I was addressing her roster make-up. I'm not trying to get in the middle of the Staley debate.

I'm pointing to the fact that she took over Warlick's roster. You will see a different recruiting style. She was the lead PG during UT's 3-peat. It doesn't mean she won't go for elite players but not if said player doesn't possess a certain skill that is important to her. Warlick missed on some players or didn't recruit at all certain players CPHS would've recruited in the past.

I might if Black players were not getting the opportunities. However, if they got the opportunities and failed, I would not have anything to say. There are tangible reasons why you don't have white, American basketball players in large numbers. The primary reason being confidence. In coaching White players, I have found that you have to build their confidence to believe they can play with the better players. It may be just the kids I have worked with, but I run into that dynamic. Further, the white kids I have worked with work on their shooting, but do not work on their ball handling enough to get off shots. The ones that work on those areas play. The ones that don't get on their reverse racism high horse. The problem with racism has never been numbers. The problem has been that you get athletes like a Lamar Jackson get discouraged to play a position or Black coaches getting pigeon-holed as recruiters to maintain a narrative.

Funny. When the situation is reversed, like in college admissions, the numbers alone are enough to claim that the opportunities aren't there and that there is implicit, systematic, racial bias. But when whites are underrepresented, it's "well, they weren't just good enough". Never, ever would you be allowed to claim that they, as a group, don't work hard enough or don't have confidence like you suggested. Anyone that suggests so would be labeled a racist immediately and the world would be on fire.

The only solution when the situation is reversed, like in academics, is to have race-based quotas and give less qualified candidates the opportunities. You know, for diversity. Why should this be any different? If "diversity" is truly our strength, why are some teams allowed to be almost completely one race?

Funny. When the situation is reversed, like in college admissions, the numbers alone are enough to claim that the opportunities aren't there and that there is implicit, systematic, racial bias. But when whites are underrepresented, it's "well, they weren't just good enough". Never, ever would you be allowed to claim that they, as a group, don't work hard enough or don't have confidence like you suggested. Anyone that suggests so would be labeled a racist immediately and the world would be on fire.

The only solution when the situation is reversed, like in academics, is to have race-based quotas and give less qualified candidates the opportunities. You know, for diversity. Why should this be any different? If "diversity" is truly our strength, why are some teams allowed to be almost completely one race?
Wow, going out in left field a bit. You would have a point if people were on here arguing about college admissions. However, I haven't seen a thread about that. You just want to whine to bust on Dawn for no reason. For the record, Frank Martin has a roster with roughly the same racial makeup as Dawn's. Mad at him too? The only white player that has gotten any significant time over the past three years is Kotsar and he is European. Does that count in your book? Of course, I think there should be improvements in identifying and hiring Black coaches. However, I am not on a message board whining and airing grievances every day.

Last edited:
Wow, going out in left field a bit. You would have a point if people were on here arguing about college admissions. However, I haven't seen a thread about. You just want to whine about to bust on Dawn for no reason. For the record, Frank Martin has a roster with roughly the same racial makeup as Dawn's. Mad at him too? The only white player that has gotten any significant time over the past three years is Kotsar and he is European. Does that count in your book. Of course, I think there should be improvements in identifying and hiring Black coaches. However, I am not on a message board whining and airing grievances every day.

It's not left field. It's absolutely the same situation.

And, yeah. Same for Frank. I'd like the know why when blacks are underrepresented, it's not ok to say, like you stereotyped whites, that they don't work hard enough or don't have confidence. And you must give lesser qualified applicants the opportunity at the expense of a more qualified one. "Diversity" is the reason and it's not even up for discussion without being labeled a racist.

Why isn't diversity important when there are few and even ZERO whites? And all I hear is "whining" about this from the left. You just want to label it negatively now because you know it's hypocrisy and you can't effectively argue that it isn't.

It's not left field. It's absolutely the same situation.

And, yeah. Same for Frank. I'd like the know why when blacks are underrepresented, it's not ok to say, like you stereotyped whites, that they don't work hard enough or don't have confidence. And you must give lesser qualified applicants the opportunity at the expense of a more qualified one. "Diversity" is the reason and it's not even up for discussion without being labeled a racist.

Why isn't diversity important when there are few and even ZERO whites? And all I hear is "whining" about this from the left. You just want to label it negatively now because you know it's hypocrisy and you can't effectively argue that it isn't.
It may be the same to you, but I don't see any Black people on here complaining about that. So, you are just arguing against yourself airing grievances. Mad at Roy Williams? ... and what about Coach K. He used to recruit White players. Won with them. Doesn't recruit that way much anymore. You have to recruit what is there. At most high schools, you only get 3-4 white kids that go out for the team and usually only 1-2 of those are good enough to make the team. From there, those 1-2 have to fight for playing time. Those are the obstacles before you even talk about excelling enough to get offers from major programs. For the record, I have never had a problem with people outlining tangible reasons for the lack of success by Black people academically. My problem is when I meet those tangible objectives and you want to move the goalposts. As an aside, there is an issue with college admissions that you miss. Some schools, in the South, offer Black kids scholarships to keep high performing kids in the area. I was one of those kids. So, every benefit a Black kid receives in college admissions doesn't have something to do with a quota. Many Black kids have the transcript and test scores to get in USC. The question is do they want to go?

Last edited:
It may be the same to you, but I don't see any Black people on here complaining about that. So, you are just arguing against yourself airing grievances. Mad at Roy Williams? ... and what about Coach K. He used to recruit White players. Won with them. Doesn't recruit that way much anymore. You have to recruit what is there. At most high schools, you only get 3-4 white kids that go out for the team and usually only 1-2 of those are good enough to make the team. From there, those 1-2 have to fight for playing time. Those are the obstacles before you even talk about excelling enough to get offers from major programs. For the record, I have never had a problem with people outlining tangible reasons for the lack of success by Black people academically. My problem is when I meet those tangible objectives and you want to move the goalposts. As an aside, there is an issue with college admissions that you miss. Some schools, in the South, offer Black kids scholarships to keep high performing kids in the area. I was one of those kids. So, every benefit a Black kid receives in college admissions doesn't have something to do with a quota. Many Black kids have the transcript and test scores to get in USC. The question is do they want to go?

USC Athletic Mission Statement: "The University of South Carolina's Department of Athletics is operated in harmony with the University's stated purposes and goals. The Department is committed to the intellectual, cultural, physical and social development of the student-athletes in excelling in their chosen athletics areas"

Diversity is important in college admissions.
Diversity is important in college administration.
Diversity is important in college athletic coaches.
Diversity is important EVERYWHERE in the real world.

Participation in college team athletics requires no diversity and teams can be completely comprised of one race.

USC Athletic Mission Statement: "The University of South Carolina's Department of Athletics is operated in harmony with the University's stated purposes and goals. The Department is committed to the intellectual, cultural, physical and social development of the student-athletes in excelling in their chosen athletics areas"

Diversity is important in college admissions.
Diversity is important in college administration.
Diversity is important in college athletic coaches.
Diversity is important EVERYWHERE in the real world.

Participation in college team athletics requires no diversity and team can be completely comprised of one race.
You are being ridiculous now. If you were even serious about this argument, maybe you can go at Coach Martin because he hasn't made the tournament in three years and he could stand a shooter or two. However, to question Dawn Staley even a little bit is not smart. We have won a National Champiinahip and ended the year as the unquestioned No. 1 team in the nation last year. We already have three 5 star recruits in the can for 2022. She may not have your politics. However, you have the problem if you can't get over that.

It may be the same to you, but I don't see any Black people on here complaining about that.

You don't see blacks complaining about college admissions because there is nothing to complain about. It's already been widely debates and challenged in court. As a black student, you can get into college over someone that is white with better test scores and a higher gpa just because you are black. The reason is "diversity".

So why does "diversity" suddenly not matter when a team is compromised of entirely black athletes? Why would coaches be exempt from following the normal diversity rules of society?

You don't see blacks complaining about college admissions because there is nothing to complain about. It's already been widely debates and challenged in court. As a black student, you can get into college over someone that is white with better test scores and a higher gpa just because you are black. The reason is "diversity".

So why does "diversity" suddenly not matter when a team is compromised of entirely black athletes? Why would coaches be exempt from following the normal diversity rules of society?
The only thing that matters to most in sports are wins and losses. You find me 5 white kids that can get us in the tournament, I will be the first to root for them. For the record, most college programs already have your quota system with walk-ons. There are usually 1-2 walk-ons on the team. They are usually not Black. So, there you go.

Last edited:
You are being ridiculous now. If you were even serious about this argument, maybe you can go at Coach Martin because he hasn't made the tournament in three years and he could stand a shooter or two. However, to question Dawn Staley even a little bit is not smart. We have won a National Champiinahip and ended the year as the unquestioned No. 1 team in the nation last year. We already have three 5 star recruits in the can for 2022. She may not have your politics. However, you have the problem if you can't get over that.

Nothing to do with politics. When you are VERY vocal about diversity and inclusion, yet just about every player you've every brought here looks just like you, you open yourself up to being questioned, no matter if you win the NC or lose every game. Nobody is above being questioned.

The only thing that matters to most in sports are wins and losses.

That's not what the mission statement says.

You find me 5 white kids that can get us in the tournament, I will be the first to root for them.

Reverse the races on Frank's team and end up with the same record we did this year. My guess it would raise more than one eyebrow.

For the record, most college already have your quota program with walk-one. There are usually 1-2 walk-ons on the team. They are usually not Black. So, there you go.

That's not a "quota". That's a token. When the minority community is upset about being underrepresented, it's usually goes like this. Blacks are 13% of the community so why are they only XX% here. So why is it different when the white community is underrepresented? When it is the black community, NOTHING is an excuse. All I've seen from you is excuses that would NEVER be accepted when referring to underrepresented blacks.

That's not what the mission statement says.

Reverse the races on Frank's team and end up with the same record we did this year. My guess it would raise more than one eyebrow.

That's not a "quota". That's a token. When the minority community is upset about being underrepresented, it's usually goes like this. Blacks are 13% of the community so why are they only XX% here. So why is it different when the white community is underrepresented? When it is the black community, NOTHING is an excuse. All I've seen from you is excuses that would NEVER be accepted when referring to underrepresented blacks.
Not making excuses. It's just the way it is. Your argument is about as stupid as that Baseball player that is not playing and complaining about only 6% of the players in MLB are African-American. Most Black people know that Black kids don't play baseball on the lower levels in high numbers. So, most of us are not tripping about this. My message to white kids if they want to play basketball:: 1) Do some defensive slides or any other drill that will work on your lateral quickness, 2) Work on your ball-handling. It is the No. 1 skill in the game and will get you anywhere on the floor that you want to go, 3) Hold your head up, stop being so scary, and challenge Black kids. You can't beat anyone if you don't compete. If more kids do those things, you will see the numbers go up. If you haven't noticed, the NBA hasn't stopped taking white kids. They just take them from Europe as opposed to here because they work on the things I outlined. Nobody is turning down Luka Doncic. He can play. Good in all phases of the game. In fact, shooting is his most overrated attribute.

Last edited:
Not making excuses. It's just the way it is. Your argument is about as stupid as that Baseball player that is not playing and complaining about only 6% of the players in MLB are African-American. Most Black people know that Black kids don't play baseball on the lower levels in high numbers. So, most of us are not tripping about this. My message to white kids if they want to play basketball:: 1) Do some defensive slides or any other drill that will work on your lateral quickness, 2) Work on your ball-handling. It is the No. 1 skill in the game and will get you anywhere on the floor that you want to go, 3) Hold your head up, stop being so scary, and challenge Black kids. You can't beat anyone if you don't compete. If more kids do those things, you will see the numbers go up. If you haven't noticed, the NBA hasn't stopped taking white kids. They just take them from Europe as opposed to here because they work on the things I outlined. Nobody is turning down Luka Doncic. He can play. Good in all phases of the game. In fact, shooting is his most overrated attribute.

The funny thing is I actually agree with you. But it should apply across the board. Everything should be merit based, no matter whether it's sports or academics or work. A white kid that isn't as good as a black kid at basketball shouldn't be on the team before him, just because there aren't enough white kids on the team to match social quotas.

That is a creation of the left, not conservatives like me. But you lefties only seem to care about it when monitories are underrepresented, and when there is zero white representation, is completely acceptable. Diversity only matters when it fits their agenda. The same thing happened in the NFL at defensive back. At one point, 160 of 160 defensive backs in the NFL were black. Every single DB on every single team was black. Yet all you heard about was how there weren't "enough" black QBs and "enough" black coaches.

That is the hypocrisy.

I can pass along a statement that my old USC roommate made who now works with the women’s athletic teams. Not that it should matter but he is a white man. He loves Coach Staley and the ladies she recruits. He said that she looks for certain characteristics in players but race is not one of them. He has seen many recruits on campus that are white, brown, and black.

The only comment he would make about race was that a lot of young black players want to have the career of Dawn Staley. They admire all that she accomplished as a player and parents like that she is tough as nails as a coach (and what she prepares them for in life).

Let’s face life and understand that most young people choose to associate with those most like themselves. This is not in and of itself a bad thing.

The chemistry on last years team should give everyone a glimpse as to what she is trying to accomplish. All the broadcasters and sports reporters talked about it every game.

Finally, to put this to rest. She has a staff of 12 according to GamecocksOnline. 8 of the 12 appear to be white. This is the best testament of CDS’s dealings with issues of race. She obviously has surrounded herself with those she thinks are best for the job. Recruits/players that choose to play are not the relative factor in this discussion. It’s her staff!

I wish that a bunch of grown ass people would quit trying to make something out of a statement that she herself said was uneducated.

She is a great ambassador for our University and I am proud to have her as our coach.

I can pass along a statement that my old USC roommate made who now works with the women’s athletic teams. Not that it should matter but he is a white man. He loves Coach Staley and the ladies she recruits. He said that she looks for certain characteristics in players but race is not one of them. He has seen many recruits on campus that are white, brown, and black.

The only comment he would make about race was that a lot of young black players want to have the career of Dawn Staley. They admire all that she accomplished as a player and parents like that she is tough as nails as a coach (and what she prepares them for in life).

Let’s face life and understand that most young people choose to associate with those most like themselves. This is not in and of itself a bad thing.

The chemistry on last years team should give everyone a glimpse as to what she is trying to accomplish. All the broadcasters and sports reporters talked about it every game.

Finally, to put this to rest. She has a staff of 12 according to GamecocksOnline. 8 of the 12 appear to be white. This is the best testament of CDS’s dealings with issues of race. She obviously has surrounded herself with those she thinks are best for the job. Recruits/players that choose to play are not the relative factor in this discussion. It’s her staff!

I wish that a bunch of grown ass people would quit trying to make something out of a statement that she herself said was uneducated.

She is a great ambassador for our University and I am proud to have her as our coach.
Thanks for posting this. How some can basically accuse Coach Dawn of racism is beyond me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT