ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford first look, haven’t look at games

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
Couple of things stick out

They shot more 3 point attempts than Ark
9.1 made per game, in the top 10 in the country.
Didn’t realize how perimeter oriented they are.
They do have height 6’4 Brink, the starter is good shot blocker, runs the floor well, decent rebounder. Might weigh 145 pounds and has been in foul trouble all year. Fouled out 6 times. Prechtel 6’5” backup, also very thin, decent player. They do not have the heft to deny Boston down low.
Williams is their only player under 6’0”. This may lead to tough matchups on D. They rebound by committee, shoot well and are very athletic, THEY MATCH OUR ATHLETICISM but not our power and strength
Have to run them off the line and make them shoot contested twos.

They have shot 200 less Fts than us. I am afraid one of the most important matchups may be the refs

I saw their tournament games against Okie State and Louisville. I also watched the condensed highlights of their two losses. I hate to even think about this: if we don't beat them, then I think UCONN is going to win it all. Stanford's biggest weakness is the lack of athletic wing players. The kind of player needed to guard Bueckers, Williams, Westbrook. Unfortunately, we don't really have that type of player to exploit Stanford's weakness. Brea is, of course, a great defensive player but seldom an offensive weapon.

I think it's key for Henderson and Zia to win their matchups. For once they will be matched up against guards, Williams and Wilson, who are the same size as them. No height advantage for Stanford. But Stanford's guards are crafty veteran who can shoot.

Stanford does have a lot of depth, but that's a bit misleading. All their depth is in the frontcourt. They have plenty of bodies to throw at our bigs, but Williams and Wilson are their only guards capable of staying in front of Henderson and Cooke.

I would agree that the officials could play a big part in this. Tara Vanderveer complained that the tournament was turning into a wrestling match. Obviously she would prefer it not to be a physical game, while we want it to be exactly that kind of game.

Of all the teams left in the tourney Boston is the best post and no one can match her. Check!

Our guards need to watch the turnovers. 9 between them - 14 for the team overall. Stanford had 9 as a team overall against Louisville.

Stanford had 45 rebounds - 17 OR, 28 DR. Louisville had 37 rebounds - 11 OR, 26 DR. SC had 46 rebounds - 10 OR, 36 DR against Texas - 33 - 11 OR, 22 DR. Bottom line we can keep Stanford off the class or match up nicely in that area.

Their bench gave them 21 points ours 10 against Texas. We need Littleton to score some. Aimhere, Beal, and Saxton to keep blocking and rebounding.

I also noticed that Henderson and Beal (especially her) gave up easy looks by passing the ball against Texas. Go for the best shot yes, but don't be gun shy.

Side note: Someone needs to help Beal get her scoring confidence back for next season. Send her to a physiatrist if it has to go that far - I'll pay for it.

...I would agree that the officials could play a big part in this. Tara Vanderveer complained that the tournament was turning into a wrestling match. Obviously she would prefer it not to be a physical game, while we want it to be exactly that kind of game.
Her sentiments could not have been assuaged any by the final play in the UConn/Baylor game. And supervisors will be hammering on officials to ensure avoiding recurrences.

Last edited:
Reactions: kirby1023
Side note: Someone needs to help Beal get her scoring confidence back for next season. Send her to a physiatrist if it has to go that far - I'll pay for it.

We did run a play for her against Texas coming out of a timeout and she scored. Brea has a tendency to commit offensive fouls when she tries to score, so maybe that is the concern.

The Stanford player she'll be matched up against is tall but slight of build. I would like to see Brea make her play a little defense. Or perhaps the coaches would prefer Brea focus on hitting the offensive glass and forcing the Stanford player to box out.

We did run a play for her against Texas coming out of a timeout and she scored. Brea has a tendency to commit offensive fouls when she tries to score, so maybe that is the concern.

The Stanford player she'll be matched up against is tall but slight of build. I would like to see Brea make her play a little defense. Or perhaps the coaches would prefer Brea focus on hitting the offensive glass and forcing the Stanford player to box out.

I'm not saying that she doesn't score or the coaches don't set up plays for her - she's gotten gun shy. You can literally see it in every game. I want her to keep focusing on her best assets for the team defense and rebound but, it won't hurt to boast her confidence in scoring again.

She scored the 1st 4-6 points against uconn in February. If both teams survive to Sunday they should start those same sets.

Reactions: roosterbell
I'm not saying that she doesn't score or the coaches don't set up plays for her - she's gotten gun shy. You can literally see it in every game. I want her to keep focusing on her best assets for the team defense and rebound but, it won't hurt to boast her confidence in scoring again.

She scored the 1st 4-6 points against uconn in February. If both teams survive to Sunday they should start those same sets.
Dawn was talking in an interview and said something to the effect..... “the problem this year’s team has had at times is that they only trust themselves to get the job done. And in HS that was true, so of course that carried over. We are getting over that”
When she talked about BB she said, “she figured out last year that though she is a good scorer there were 4 better scorers on the floor, so she did EVERYTHING ELSE she could to make us better; D, rebound, set picks, pass. But she now needs to remember she is a good scorer herself!”

Reactions: DarkCock
The hard part about evaluating Stanford is that they've only played two games against non-PAC 12 P5 schools: Okie State and Louisville. Both were competitive games in the 4th quarter. And I'm not sure what to make of that. The PAC-12 teams has done reasonably well in the tournament while SEC underperformed, but we have played several other P5 schools, plus UCONN and Gonzaga. Perhaps a lesson to other SEC schools to schedule more aggressively in the non-conference in order to better prepare for the NCAA tournament.

Charlie Creme picked Stanford (to his credit, though, he picked us to make the Final Four. Most ESPN "experts" picked Maryland). He was breaking down Beal defending Haley Jones as one of the key matchups. I don't know....seems to me that Saxton and, in particular, Amihere would be on Jones. Jones is less of a 3 point threat than Lexie Hull. Dawn's emphasis, I suspect, will be on driving Stanford off of the 3 point line.

I expect Kiana Williams and Zia Cooke to be matched up against each other on both sides of the court. Williams will almost certainly play 40 minutes. Both are, by far, the players on their respective teams that play with the most fire. That matchup will be awesome.

I think it should be an interesting game. I believe this is one of those teams that we can play 10 different times and can have 10 radically different outcomes. One of the few teams whose roster is just as talented as ours. They got plenty of weapons but I think diminishing Kiana Williams and Brink's offensive impact should be key to our success. Officiating has been leaning more towards allowing physical contact, if that continues I believe that benefits us.

It's kinda crazy to think that despite our superb defense and decent offense we hardly have any support outside of the program that we can win a title. I think being under the radar and coming into the Final Four feeling a little slighted could give us the kind of edge we need, similar to our SECT run. If we can play a full 40 minutes of disciplined basketball I think we have a real shot to win tomorrow.

The hard part about evaluating Stanford is that they've only played two games against non-PAC 12 P5 schools: Okie State and Louisville. Both were competitive games in the 4th quarter. And I'm not sure what to make of that. The PAC-12 teams has done reasonably well in the tournament while SEC underperformed, but we have played several other P5 schools, plus UCONN and Gonzaga. Perhaps a lesson to other SEC schools to schedule more aggressively in the non-conference in order to better prepare for the NCAA tournament.

Charlie Creme picked Stanford (to his credit, though, he picked us to make the Final Four. Most ESPN "experts" picked Maryland). He was breaking down Beal defending Haley Jones as one of the key matchups. I don't know....seems to me that Saxton and, in particular, Amihere would be on Jones. Jones is less of a 3 point threat than Lexie Hull. Dawn's emphasis, I suspect, will be on driving Stanford off of the 3 point line.

I expect Kiana Williams and Zia Cooke to be matched up against each other on both sides of the court. Williams will almost certainly play 40 minutes. Both are, by far, the players on their respective teams that play with the most fire. That matchup will be awesome.
Good stuff, thanks. As far as matchups, Stanford has to be terrified about Brink on Boston. She is very foul prone and if she has to sit, they are limited to having only one big in the game. The prospects for Saxton and Amihere could be very promising

I think it should be an interesting game. I believe this is one of those teams that we can play 10 different times and can have 10 radically different outcomes. One of the few teams whose roster is just as talented as ours. They got plenty of weapons but I think diminishing Kiana Williams and Brink's offensive impact should be key to our success. Officiating has been leaning more towards allowing physical contact, if that continues I believe that benefits us.

It's kinda crazy to think that despite our superb defense and decent offense we hardly have any support outside of the program that we can win a title. I think being under the radar and coming into the Final Four feeling a little slighted could give us the kind of edge we need, similar to our SECT run. If we can play a full 40 minutes of disciplined basketball I think we have a real shot to win tomorrow.

Compared to Tara and Geno Dawn is a newcomer, so I think that influences. Also everybody saw our 4 losses and are well versed in our weaknesses. But we have been a very different team the last 7 games. I think the media and even I have fixiated on our shortcomings and forget what a bitch of a matchup we are offensively. They/we have also become inured to how stingy and aggressive our D is.

Reactions: Gamekem
A lot of writers aren’t picking us to win on Friday because they initially picked Maryland to win our bracket. It would have them contradicting themselves.

Reactions: redrogers
I don't like the juju going into this game. They had a scare and we played really well and coasted. Hope our ladies have their head in the right place.

We have the talent to beat them, no doubt. They just have to execute.

They are the team to beat IMHO

Yeah, it doesn't bother me if someone picks Stanford. All the teams are flawed. No doubt in my mind that last year's Carolina team is better than any of these four teams. And Ionescu was better player last season than Buecker's this season. It's somewhat of a down year in WBB. That's one of the reason I never panicked about this season.

If Collier could not stop Boston - I have no fear of Brink.

It will be a good game indeed. I have no doubt that the kids can pull it off. If not - they made it to the Final 4.
Also depends on what calls you get in the game. They can swing a game in a hurry.

Reactions: roosterbell
If Collier could not stop Boston - I have no fear of Brink.

It will be a good game indeed. I have no doubt that the kids can pull it off. If not - they made it to the Final 4.
I don’t think Brink can stop Boston either and if Brink gets in foul trouble they are in the weeds.
Conversely if Boston gets in foul trouble I have full confidence in Saxton and Amihere defensively.
We have played Arkansas 4 times in the last two years. That is a lot of prep and game experience running a team off the three. That learning translates.
The biggest, strongest, best center Stanford faced all season??? Taylor from Oregon State!!
They ain’t ready for Boston. To quote Mike Neighbors from Ark, “Boston just makes you wrong🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Also depends on what calls you get in the game. They can swing a game in a hurry.

Yeah, I thought them refs. Coach will just have to get 'T'd up if we get sh*tty fouls. Don't be surprise if Vandever gets in the action she's already crying about the physical play

I don’t think Brink can stop Boston either and if Brink gets in foul trouble they are in the weeds.
Conversely if Boston gets in foul trouble I have full confidence in Saxton and Amihere defensively.
We have played Arkansas 4 times in the last two years. That is a lot of prep and game experience running a team off the three. That learning translates.
The biggest, strongest, best center Stanford faced all season??? Taylor from Oregon State!!
They ain’t ready for Boston. To quote Mike Neighbors from Ark, “Boston just makes you wrong🤷‍♂️

I don't want to jinx her but I think we will see the best of Aimhere in tomorrow's game. Yes, she got two quick fouls against Texas - but she came back and almost had a triple double in the end. Closer that kid gets to the ring better she plays....Saxton also

Last edited:
All-star game from San Antonio today. All our recruits are there except Raven Johnson

Is it considering reloading when your magazine is still full? We don't lose anyone who's played in the NCAA tournament.

All our recruits are on the same team. They play at 12:30. All UCONN girls are on the opposing team. And so it begins...

Last edited:
Having watched a couple games I think I have a decent handle on Stanford.

They play inside out a lot on O. Brink becomes the trigger person at the top of the key. This draws the opposing post away from being a rim protector. It allows their 2,3,and 4 players to post over smaller players. L’ville was overwhelmed by the size of Jones, Hull and Belibi. That is not going to happen with Saxton and Beal defending those players.
L’ville and other teams were forced to play zone....hello three pointers!!

Louisville had NO LOW POST OFFENSE. They thrived on jump shots for 2.5 quarters and then poof the jumpers stopped falling. We have a much more diverse O including transition and second chance point which L’ville had basically none.

I like our chances AND in a real shocker I can envision King Ward’s predictions of a double digit victory actually happening

I'm only ruling out Arizona to win this thing, but that's just fan-talk. But them beating UConn would be one of the most seismic developments in the history of WBB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT