ADVERTISEMENT

Starting DE Edmond gone; Portalled out

Reactions: cockofdawn
Sick of this. NIL and the transfer portal is destroying college football. They need a monetary cap on this big pile of …
The NCAA is gonna have to do something about the portal stuff or their post season is gonna collapse. People will watch great bowl games but not when half the starters have quit. So many USC and ND players have quit, neither team can really brag about a win in this game.

I find it really strange/concerning that starting players for an SEC team are transferring out, and on both sides of the ball. I would understand if they were transferring due to playing time or a coaching change, but these are starters transferring. They aren't following a coach. Is there something going on in the program? Or we that behind in the NIL game, as a program?

So we went from "only 3 players in the portal, Beamer must be doing something right!" to now 10 players in the portal. Our DC isn't going anywhere so I wonder why he decided to leave?
Because it’s the cool thing to do now. They wanna be recruited again, to get pampered again and all that stuff. I could see an FCS kid portalling to try his shot to play in a Power 5 program but damn, starting for an 8-4 SEC team to go where???

Because it’s the cool thing to do now. They wanna be recruited again, to get pampered again and all that stuff. I could see an FCS kid portalling to try his shot to play in a Power 5 program but damn, starting for an 8-4 SEC team to go where???
I gotta wonder if some of it is envy toward the way the big fish players are treated than say the money they pull in. Maybe they just want to be a big fish even if it's in a little pond. Lot of things to envy I guess if you are the type that spends time worrying about what the other guy has. Chasing happiness I would guess. I could see it... not being happy around big fish on your team if you feel like you ain't one.

Reactions: mikeypen
Yeah right. Does everyone’s credits transfer. That was the big problem in the 90s
I forgot about that. As a coach from the 90s until recently, who has seen quite a few kids go the JUCO route or transfer out of other schools, I do know it is still a big problem today. How so many are so easily able to get it done idk.

If you’ve transferred 2 or 3 times already I would suspect you aren’t interested in any type of degree.

it saddens me that players jump from school to school without any thought of the education they could be getting. Guess it really is chasing the bag.

I’m looking forward to the Taxman bringing reality to these fellas. At this point, the scholarship should be taxable. No scholarship, no NIL, SIMPLE AS THAT.

Yep…it’s the latest hoola hoop.

Never have so many conservatives complained about a free market economy.
It started as an amateur sport….it was appealing. Now it’s appalling.

The NFL is a monopoly Bc it has no competition……it’s up to the free market to challenge it. Even the NFL knows rules letting players move at any time to any team (even if the season isn’t over) is not good. Thus, they don’t allow it. But the amateur sport allows players to move around with no rules for money. Strange world. But what do you expect from a country that elects people like Fetterman, Biden, AOC, etc. I love this chaos in football like I m loving this high gas, energy bill, groceries, etc. Good stuff🤔

Last edited:

The NFL is a monopoly Bc it has no competition……it’s up to the free market to challenge it. Even the NFL knows rules letting players move at any time to any team (even if the season isn’t over) is not good. Thus, they don’t allow it. But the amateur sport allows players to move around with no rules for money. Strange world. But what do you expect from a country that elects people like Fetterman, Biden, AOC, etc. I love this chaos in football like I m loving this high gas, energy bill, groceries, etc. Good stuff🤔

Amateurism was the appeal? Really? Like you left USC games so happy, not because of the outcome, but because you knew the players weren't getting paid? (Though I guess in that scenario, the outcome is meaningless - people not getting paid to entertain you was the appeal.)

Reactions: uscwatson21
Amateurism was the appeal? Really? Like you left USC games so happy, not because of the outcome, but because you knew the players weren't getting paid? (Though I guess in that scenario, the outcome is meaningless - people not getting paid to entertain you was the appeal.)
Yeah…that was my point….geesh🥴 Went right over your head I see.

More players will probably get sucked into the portal after the Bowl games. I’m bracing myself for it.

This doesn’t solve the portal issue. But I wish the NFL would require these guys to graduate college before being able to sign. Then make it a point to do a final assessment of the players at the Bowls. That would insure that some stick around to keep the bowls exciting.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
I thought a free Education with room and board was payment.

An "amateur" sport that generates billions per year for the people at the top on the backs of free labor. NCAA v. Alston was a 9-0 unanimous opinion written by Gorsuch and joined by, among others, Roberts, Alito, Coney Barrett, and Thomas, with Kavanaugh concurring even more strongly in favor of the athletes. But ok. It's all the progressives' fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
Only because of the manufactured economy that was amateurism. If that was fair payment, there wouldn't be so much more money left over to both pay the athletes and continue to enrich their overlords.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Being a free market doesnt mean you shouldn’t commit to something. Our nation doesnt do forced marriages, you’re free to marry who you want. That doesnt mean that once you do you shouldnt be commited to that spouse.

Same concept, you commit for 4 seasons, finish what you committed to.

If the bowl is meaningless to these players then I ask, why bother playing Clemson? That game is equally meaningless, both count as 1 win or loss in the end. Actually as a rivalry its more dangerous bc players are chippier and sometimes play dirty.

If the players think bowls are meaningless then I say once they get enough game film they should go ahead and quit right then. This all makes Clowney look so incredible in hindsight that he finished the season he started.

... not to mention a stage for them to play on, trainers, masseuse, healthcare providers, hot tubs, exercise equipment, all the video games they can play, tutors, etc...etc.

Reactions: mikeypen
Being a free market doesnt mean you shouldn’t commit to something. Our nation doesnt do forced marriages, you’re free to marry who you want. That doesnt mean that once you do you shouldnt be commited to that spouse.

If the bowl is meaningless to these players then I ask, why bother playing Clemson? That game is equally meaningless, both count as 1 win or loss in the end. Actually as a rivalry its more dangerous bc players are chippier and sometimes play dirty.

If the players think bowls are meaningless then I say once they get enough game film they should go ahead and quit right then. This all makes Clowney look so incredible in hindsight that he finished the season he started.
I was commenting on people saying NIL is destroying college sports. I am in agreement that if you sign on you finish. I enforced it with my kids. And I am dumb enough that I would risk injury to get to play one more game at the college level even if it meant hurting my draft stock.

Free market is good but you have to protect your product...

No way the NFL would allow this system. So free market with some guardrails is the way to go...
What do you suggest that isn't a restraint of trade violative of the Sherman Act? I'm sure the NCAA has top flight lawyers working on it but we're two years in from Alston and eight years in from O'Bannon v. NCAA and so far they've got nothing.

No pro sports league would survive under this chaos, and college sports wont either
And I think that's where we are. College sports as we knew it is dead. We're all processing grief like a beloved family member died. On the positive side bowl season starts today!

What free market economy? This has nothing to do with a free market. The NIL is a booster inducement to encourage guys to play for their school. It's a gift, not a free market. Do you really think ANYONE is going to buy a new car from a booster's dealership just because some kid that plays football for USC is on the ad? They are not adding value to the booster's business. They are adding enjoyment for the booster to watch his favorite team win.

If Coca-Cola or some other corporation thought there was a value there and came in and offered a player money to promote its product that would be different. I don't see them doing so. All I see are booster's of the USC athletic department. If the NCAA would make a rule that no one who gives money to a particular school is allowed to participate in its NIL program I think most of this would go away, because these kids are really not that marketable at this level. It's just a sham at this point.

What free market economy? This has nothing to do with a free market. The NIL is a booster inducement to encourage guys to play for their school. It's a gift, not a free market. Do you really think ANYONE is going to buy a new car from a booster's dealership just because some kid that plays football for USC is on the ad? They are not adding value to the booster's business. They are adding enjoyment for the booster to watch his favorite team win.

If Coca-Cola or some other corporation thought there was a value there and came in and offered a player money to promote its product that would be different. I don't see them doing so. All I see are booster's of the USC athletic department. If the NCAA would make a rule that no one who gives money to a particular school is allowed to participate in its NIL program I think most of this would go away, because these kids are really not that marketable at this level. It's just a sham at this point.
"NIL was supposed to be centered around jersey sales and video game proceeds," according to sports business reporter Darren Rovell. Instead, it has turned into 'free-market capitalism.'”

Actually, student-athletes only commit for one year at a time because schools only offer 1-year scholarships.

Schools usually re-up a kid because it would be bad business not to, but the schools aren't "showing commitment" either. If they want a kid there for 4-years - then give a 4-year guaranteed scholarship.

You probably love Trump, too!!😝

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT