ADVERTISEMENT

Starting to get a little concerned after the recent coaching changes...

achilles#

Oct 11, 1999
Across college football, but particularly in the SEC East.

Look, I don't remember exactly how it goes, but there is some saying or other about living in fear of things that never come to pass.

But here's my concern:

Right now my best reckoning is we are still in play for a number of excellent recruits:

DB

Israel "M" - Former FSU recruit
Assante Samuel - current FSU recruit
Jayce Horn - Former Tennessee recruit
Trey Dean - Former Tennessee recruit

LB

Channing Tindall - on another board someone said he was ready to commit. But a lot of crystal balls to Georgia too.

OL

Wonnum (no one has any idea what he is thinking. The "inscrutable" man.)
* We are involved with a couple more, but I can't remember the names.

DL

Sandidge
Jarrett Jackson (from Florida)
Dorian Gerald (not sure if he ever decommitted from Tennessee)

Thing is Pruitt at Tennessee is an excellent recruiter. And he is putting together an ace recruiting staff (and he may hire Lance Thompson from us). It wouldn't surprise me at all if he held on to Gerald, and got Horn and Dean back in the fold. And considering that staff, it also wouldn't surprise me if they went hard at Maxwell ... "I," our current OT commit from Tennessee.

Taggart is another excellent recruiter. Haven't heard much about what kind of staff he's getting together, but these kids signed with FSU for a reason in the beginning. Again it wouldn't be surprising if he got Israel M. back, and held on to Samuel. Or if he signed Jackson from Florida.

And as I said, most of the cb's I've read seem to indicate Tindall is leaning to Georgia.

So where does that leave us exactly? Our recruiting space is filling up with monster recruiting programs. Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, FSU, etc. Ironically Florida may turn out to not improve much from McElwain, though their class seems to be doing well without anyone having run the show for a bit.

Not liking this. Boom has another nickname, "Flipper." But he's going up against other workaholic recruiters now too. Actually more than I think he ever has.

He's signing solid kids that seem like they will produce. But these other guys seem like they are doing their homework on prospects too, and in the end they are getting the 4 and 5 stars - in head to head recruiting battles with us.

We don't have a scheme on offense that levels the playing field against teams with better talent. Our plan for that seems to have been to have Butch Jones as the other team's coach.

So I dunno. Just saying things look awful tough going forward from a recruiting standpoint. Actually I'd say this is looking to be the most amazing set of recruiting staffs I've seen in my life with some of our rivals.

Something else has been going through my mind.

RIght now, most people seem to think Thompson is heading to Tennessee (apparently doesn't stay in any job too long). But there is a lot of noise about Pruitt trying to hire McClendon too.

Like I said, you can be paralyzed by fear of things that don't happen. But I could also imagine us having 4 vacancies to fill on this staff in short order (Thompson, McClendon, Roper, and the new Coach spot that's been created).

Might not happen, but if it does it sure doesn't seem like a good look.

Something else has been going through my mind.

RIght now, most people seem to think Thompson is heading to Tennessee (apparently doesn't stay in any job too long). But there is a lot of noise about Pruitt trying to hire McClendon too.

Like I said, you can be paralyzed by fear of things that don't happen. But I could also imagine us having 4 vacancies to fill on this staff in short order (Thompson, McClendon, Roper, and the new Coach spot that's been created).

Might not happen, but if it does it sure doesn't seem like a good look.
4 vacancies would be a mess!!!

In the same reports that link Lance, mention Tracy Rocker the UGA former D Line coach who is unemployed and Pruitt worked with in 2014, hopefully he moves in that direction.

Funny no mention of Brad Lawling yet ?

I have stated this week, my theory i think McClendon is being courted by some new staffs, and their is a one year Pruitt connection, and WM made a move with dumping Roper to keep BM and make him OC which is what he wants.

We are in suppose to be in good shape on Horn, Sandidge and Jackson from most reports.

Israel Mukuamu said it will be this weekend or early next week for his commitment announcement, the earlier the better for us.

Dean is a long shot, God is not telling him to come to SC and go elsewhere.

Gerald family is huge Vol fans, that should be where he ends up.

Tindall, is a hard call, he grew up a UGA fan and that usually wins out, but we dropped recruiting Dax so maybe we get Tindall?

We are stilll recruiting Gwyn as well as Woonum at the OL

Reactions: DC-99 and DarkCock
I understand what you're saying, most of what you say is the norm in the SEC, it's always going to be tough recruiting , there is always turn over with coaches, granted this year is an extreme situation with coaching turnover and Clemson has cranked their recruiting up to a level that they have not seen since Danny Ford was there. Still, it's on us to hang on to our staff and figure out how to compete in the recruiting department.

I have stated this week, my theory i think McClendon is being courted by some new staffs, and their is a one year Pruitt connection, and WM made a move with dumping Roper to keep BM and make him OC which is what he wants.

I had a similar theory toward the end of the season that Muschamp would trim the staff so he could raise the salaries of those remaining. Since Roper wasn't a great recruiter and the offense was sputtering under his direction, he was the most expendable.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Hopefully WM will bring in better coaches/recruiters if any of ours now decide to leave for other programs.

I'd be willing to bet that some of the other SEC schools are looking at our situation right now and feeling uneasy as well. South Carolina is showing significant signs of improvement on the field and recruiting trail.

Thompson is a LB coach by trade, so UT hiring him & Rocker wouldn't be any type of conflict.

To keep BMAC and his recruiting prowess if he doesn't get the OCjob which I don't think he will, he will get a hefty raise and keep his co OC title.If Lance Thompson.leaves so be it I trust in Champ .ore than any1 to bring in a top notch D line coach even if he isn't well known.We all know he knows dfense

To keep BMAC and his recruiting prowess if he doesn't get the OCjob which I don't think he will, he will get a hefty raise and keep his co OC title.If Lance Thompson.leaves so be it I trust in Champ .ore than any1 to bring in a top notch D line coach even if he isn't well known.We all know he knows dfense

Doubt anyone outside the program takes the OC , with the stipulation it would b a co OC job with McClendon , that wouldn't make sense

Well I bet he was given the OC title when he came because Champ knows how important he is as a recruiter and to justify his pay.This dude brought I'm MJ Webb,Josh Vann and just about every 4 star recruit thats here or will be here from GA

I bet if an outside dude is brought in it will be the same setup,he will keep the co OC title and still coach receivers but the new guy will call plays

I should’ve been a coach!!
These obstacles are why we have not had sustained success here. We start doing good... and we get poached.
And our resident athletes grew up Georgia fans. :mad:

Well I bet he was given the OC title when he came because Champ knows how important he is as a recruiter and to justify his pay.This dude brought I'm MJ Webb,Josh Vann and just about every 4 star recruit thats here or will be here from GA
Think the title is to get a multi-year contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT