ADVERTISEMENT

State of South Carolina Football: An Outsider's Perspective

BlueRattie

Feb 6, 2014
From a lifelong UK fan:

I'm not here to gloat or puff my chest at UK's win. I've watched terrible football in Lexington for two decades and thus have no right to brag or wag my finger at USC. I do, though, have some observations about what I see when I watch your team play. My perspective as an impartial observer might shed some light on the nature of your program.

• I think that one of your issues is that your defense is just so light. They're kind of a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3 defense that is supposed to be able to morph into either one depending on situation. The problem is that doing both halfway means your not particularly good at either one. Thus, you have one DE that's belongs in a 3-4 and another that belongs in a 4-3. Their LB's don't seem to "fit" any system either. When I looked at SC's roster, I was shocked at how light they were up front. I thought UK might be able to push them around.
  • On the plus side, I think SC's defense plays with passion. When UK went conservative in the 2nd half, they attacked the line with passion and tackled pretty well. It's rare to get Snell behind the line but SC was able to do it often in the second half.
  • The offense simply has no identity. Are you a power running team? A pass first team? Vertical? West Coast? Seems like every time they'd get something working they would abandon it. I think their best best is a power running team first that uses play-action to set up a vertical passing game. Bentley simply doesn't have the accuracy or quick decision making skills to operate a west-coast (high accuracy, quick thinking) offense. Perhaps they've oversold themselves on Bentley as a guy that can carry a team. I actually like their backs and their OLine. For me, though, Bentley is simply too undisciplined.
  • Overall, I think that Muschamp has some hard choices to make as to what the direction and identity of his team is. Simplify. Figure out what you're good at. Make sure Daddy Bentley knows who runs the team. Develop an identity that you can hang your hat on and go with it.

That's just my two cents. I'll be rooting for you guys the rest of the way. Good luck.

From a lifelong UK fan:

I'm not here to gloat or puff my chest at UK's win. I've watched terrible football in Lexington for two decades and thus have no right to brag or wag my finger at USC. I do, though, have some observations about what I see when I watch your team play. My perspective as an impartial observer might shed some light on the nature of your program.

• I think that one of your issues is that your defense is just so light. They're kind of a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3 defense that is supposed to be able to morph into either one depending on situation. The problem is that doing both halfway means your not particularly good at either one. Thus, you have one DE that's belongs in a 3-4 and another that belongs in a 4-3. Their LB's don't seem to "fit" any system either. When I looked at SC's roster, I was shocked at how light they were up front. I thought UK might be able to push them around.
  • On the plus side, I think SC's defense plays with passion. When UK went conservative in the 2nd half, they attacked the line with passion and tackled pretty well. It's rare to get Snell behind the line but SC was able to do it often in the second half.
  • The offense simply has no identity. Are you a power running team? A pass first team? Vertical? West Coast? Seems like every time they'd get something working they would abandon it. I think their best best is a power running team first that uses play-action to set up a vertical passing game. Bentley simply doesn't have the accuracy or quick decision making skills to operate a west-coast (high accuracy, quick thinking) offense. Perhaps they've oversold themselves on Bentley as a guy that can carry a team. I actually like their backs and their OLine. For me, though, Bentley is simply too undisciplined.
  • Overall, I think that Muschamp has some hard choices to make as to what the direction and identity of his team is. Simplify. Figure out what you're good at. Make sure Daddy Bentley knows who runs the team. Develop an identity that you can hang your hat on and go with it.

That's just my two cents. I'll be rooting for you guys the rest of the way. Good luck.
Hope y'all win out and beat ugaLY on 11/03. Honestly though, such will take a couple of miracles!! The Dawgs are damned good this year!

Reactions: BlueRattie
From a lifelong UK fan:

Your third point, is ON POINT! And all the others are fair observations. Thanks for not being a (fill in the blank). :cool:

We have too many chiefs and not enough Indians when it comes to who's running the offense.

I cannot argue with any of those points. Bentley has not progressed from his true freshman year IMO.

I cannot argue with any of those points. Bentley has not progressed from his true freshman year IMO.
I think we've seen the best of Bentley and I'm not sure exactly why. Could be natural limitations, that he has maximized his talents. Could be he is listening to someone he shouldn't. But he is the same Bentley he was last year and the year before.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
From a lifelong UK fan:

The Man makes some very rational points. On the other side UK knows exactly who they are. They are a physical, punishing, trash talking bunch on both sides of the ball who wants to take away your manhood from the moment you get off the bus. It took 6 years for Stoops to build that so I am not discouraged. I just think we all expected more against UGA and UK. Better find it quick

The Man makes some very rational points. On the other side UK knows exactly who they are. They are a physical, punishing, trash talking bunch on both sides of the ball who wants to take away your manhood from the moment you get off the bus. It took 6 years for Stoops to build that so I am not discouraged. I just think we all expected more against UGA and UK. Better find it quick
My advice to UK fans is to enjoy it now because it doesn't last forever! Ask us how we know.

:)
From a lifelong UK fan:

Would you be interested in a new coaching job?

From a lifelong UK fan:

This is fair and reasonable. I can’t argue with anything you said, to be honest. Well done. And good luck to you guys. I hate the Georgia Dawgs, so I’d be fine with you guys winning the east. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Good analysis. Never liked the hybrid 3-4, 4-3. Need to go 4-3 and get Muschamp's old DL coach to teach it.

A true 3-4 is ideal because it get's so many athletes on the field. The problem is that it is very difficult to recruit those specialized players and even harder to build depth.

Reactions: rogue cock
Hope y'all win out and beat ugaLY on 11/03. Honestly though, such will take a couple of miracles!! The Dawgs are damned good this year!

I have us losing to A&M and Georgia. Both are vulnerable, though. A&M can't throw the ball and Georgia has yet to find a reliable running game. Still, I look at UGA's talent and realize they'll be hard to beat.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Your guy doesn't throw downfield that well, I would focus on intermediate to short passing game to keep those teams honest and use his legs more, both sides of your line are big and nasty, surprised how good your db's were, Stoops has done a good job with what he canhas recruited, that says a lot! You have some good players, I would like your chances v. TAMU, not so sure about UGa., but I'll be pulling for you!

Your guy doesn't throw downfield that well, I would focus on intermediate to short passing game to keep those teams honest and use his legs more, both sides of your line are big and nasty, surprised how good your db's were, Stoops has done a good job with what he canhas recruited, that says a lot! You have some good players, I would like your chances v. TAMU, not so sure about UGa., but I'll be pulling for you!

You're dead on when it comes to Wilson. We don't need him to be Joe Montana. Just hit the intermediate routes to keep the LB's and Safeties honest. If he can do that then stuffing the box with 8-9 men becomes dangerous.

You're dead on when it comes to Wilson. We don't need him to be Joe Montana. Just hit the intermediate routes to keep the LB's and Safeties honest. If he can do that then stuffing the box with 8-9 men becomes dangerous.
If he can do that you’ve got a shot against UGA. I don’t think you need to worry about A&M. You’ve got a great team.

Reactions: BlueRattie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT