ADVERTISEMENT

stella!!....

Steph's tweet actually somewhat validates my post in the Frank Martin fan complaint thread earlier this week. People want to see higher profile teams than the Limestones and Dunkin Donut U's. I know it's not easy to schedule big brands but it's hard to get excited about spending money to see a game where the team should blow them out. Put a Syracuse, Louisville, FSU, NCSt on the schedule and see how many more people show up. It doesn't have to be Duke or Kansas although those would obviously increase the turnout even more. I like Frank Martin a lot, love listening to his interviews but when your school isn't a historical bball giant you have to help improve the schedule to generate more interest.

Reactions: Goldhunter
So what set him off about that tweet? I can't say I disagree with Stephanie. I guess FM took offense to the comment about his players being "mediocre talent". While I wouldn't go as far as calling them mediocre I didn't take her tweet to mean they're no better than a neighborhood pick-up team. I took it to mean that we don't have anyone that could start for any top 10 team, which is probably true.
One thing I can say for sure, slamming fans on twitter isn't the best way for a coach to get more fans to attend games.

What all coaches overlook is fan expectations. Lou Holtz didn't understand it and SOS didn't understand it. Once a level of performance is reached, we expect that performance to continue. That may be unrealistic to coaches but not to fans. Besides, fans work extremely hard to pay for tickets, GC club dues, and time to attend games. I have quit going to games because it just costs too much -- especially at this time of year. One other thing: fans like me consider pre-conference games as mere scrimmage games. I don't even watch them if they are on TV. I'll become more interested when the conference schedule begins. Finally, when you make over a million dollars a year, don't complain about me spending my $60,000 a year time and money to see your team play.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Steph's tweet actually somewhat validates my post in the Frank Martin fan complaint thread earlier this week. People want to see higher profile teams than the Limestones and Dunkin Donut U's. I know it's not easy to schedule big brands but it's hard to get excited about spending money to see a game where the team should blow them out. Put a Syracuse, Louisville, FSU, NCSt on the schedule and see how many more people show up. It doesn't have to be Duke or Kansas although those would obviously increase the turnout even more. I like Frank Martin a lot, love listening to his interviews but when your school isn't a historical bball giant you have to help improve the schedule to generate more interest.
Catch 22, no one will chose to do a home/home with us until we start consistently putting ourselves in the top 3 of the SEC for basketball.

What all coaches overlook is fan expectations. Lou Holtz didn't understand it and SOS didn't understand it.
I would love to hear the explanation on this one...

Anyone remember the quote from Holtz about how he wrote a number on the board to his players and explained what that number represents?

I really like Frank Martin. I have season tickets (and have had for 20 yrs) and go to every game I can. I'm not going to complain about the team. They play hard and fight hard. Also, I know Frank will get these guys better - much better - before the year is over. My only complaint is about scheduling. I simply cannot go to games that are scheduled for noon - 1pm on Saturdays. I am like probably 75% of the rest of the population in that Saturday is my only day off where I can do things I have to do that are not work related. Scheduling games in the middle of the day takes the whole day out of play for me. A noon game means you have to start getting ready for the game by 10am in order to drive to the CLC, hopefully get something to eat, and get into your seat by tipoff. So that takes most of the morning out of play. Then, by the time the game is over and you get back home, it is getting close to dark this time of year.

I know the excuse is always that the TV networks decide when to play the games. If that is the case, then IMO, Frank and or the university have to make a decision. They have to decide if it is more important to have big crowds at the games or please the TV networks. But then, they need to live with that decision and not complain about any adverse consequences that result.

What all coaches overlook is fan expectations. Lou Holtz didn't understand it and SOS didn't understand it. Once a level of performance is reached, we expect that performance to continue. That may be unrealistic to coaches but not to fans. Besides, fans work extremely hard to pay for tickets, GC club dues, and time to attend games. I have quit going to games because it just costs too much -- especially at this time of year. One other thing: fans like me consider pre-conference games as mere scrimmage games. I don't even watch them if they are on TV. I'll become more interested when the conference schedule begins. Finally, when you make over a million dollars a year, don't complain about me spending my $60,000 a year time and money to see your team play.
it was Lou and Steve whom taught us how to win - dude really?!?!?

f1bac6c45744a5c60b93170bb46a329b.jpg

it was Lou and Steve whom taught us how to win - dude really?!?!?
Yep-- and then decided to put it on cruise control. Holtz got a 63- point a$$ whipping before he decided to quit, and SOS got several a$$ whippings before he decided to quit in mid-season.

You think clemson's coach or Alabama's would put it on cruise control after a few years of success?

I really like Frank Martin. I have season tickets (and have had for 20 yrs) and go to every game I can. I'm not going to complain about the team. They play hard and fight hard. Also, I know Frank will get these guys better - much better - before the year is over. My only complaint is about scheduling. I simply cannot go to games that are scheduled for noon - 1pm on Saturdays. I am like probably 75% of the rest of the population in that Saturday is my only day off where I can do things I have to do that are not work related. Scheduling games in the middle of the day takes the whole day out of play for me. A noon game means you have to start getting ready for the game by 10am in order to drive to the CLC, hopefully get something to eat, and get into your seat by tipoff. So that takes most of the morning out of play. Then, by the time the game is over and you get back home, it is getting close to dark this time of year.

I know the excuse is always that the TV networks decide when to play the games. If that is the case, then IMO, Frank and or the university have to make a decision. They have to decide if it is more important to have big crowds at the games or please the TV networks. But then, they need to live with that decision and not complain about any adverse consequences that result.

With regard to SEC games, it's out of their hands.

I know that. I'm simply making a point about the SEC games to come in response to your comment about pleasing the TV networks. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I guess my point is your point has no point at this point.o_O Damn that's a lot of points.
What that means is there is only one home conference game scheduled before 2pm this year, so that part is pretty much irrelevant as for what I was talking about. Frank was complaining last week about the lack of attendance. Those were all non conference games. There have been several early season nonconference games scheduled between 12 and 2pm. I can't speak for anyone else, but those are difficult for me to make. I would think many other people feel the same way.

I guess my point is your point has no point at this point.o_O Damn that's a lot of points.
What that means is there is only one home conference game scheduled before 2pm this year, so that part is pretty much irrelevant as for what I was talking about. Frank was complaining last week about the lack of attendance. Those were all non conference games. There have been several early season nonconference games scheduled between 12 and 2pm. I can't speak for anyone else, but those are difficult for me to make. I would think many other people feel the same way.
No need to get your knickers in a pinch about it.

However, if you look at our schedule, we have quite a few conference games that are Noon and 3 pm due to TV. So the point still stands that those times are out of Ray's and Frank's hands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT