ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen Garcia was just on 107.5 and it was a good listen.

I don't really understand the love of Garcia today. The guy was constant trouble at Carolina, got kicked off the team, and was never consistent. He had talent and wasted it.

Did he ever graduate from Carolina? Outside of a QB camp or two does he have a job?

He has some fun party stories which I know people love, but most college kids have those stories. It is just most grow up and don't talk about those stories.

I don't really understand the love of Garcia today. The guy was constant trouble at Carolina, got kicked off the team, and was never consistent. He had talent and wasted it.

Did he ever graduate from Carolina? Outside of a QB camp or two does he have a job?

He has some fun party stories which I know people love, but most college kids have those stories. It is just most grow up and don't talk about those stories.
He's from a wealthy family I thought, not sure taking college seriously or having a career is of any concern to him. He gave us one of the top victories in program history.
Erik Kimery(sp) made one pass for us in all his years with us, but he's a hero to you probably.

I was in the car so only caught bits of the interview but Jay kept mentioning Perry which I assumed was Perry Orth. So I guess they are doing another camp together or something. And Garcia's also a dad now.

There was a lot of bad with the good no doubt, but he gave us some awesome wins like Bama, Clemson multiple times, took us to SECCG, etc. Plus he was just a tough SOB so that's easy to root for. I'll never forget 2010 opener against Southern Miss. He's at the sideline near the endzone -- doesn't step out but puts his head down like a bighorn sheep and manhandles his way in there. That's the kind of guy you want to play for

He's from a wealthy family I thought, not sure taking college seriously or having a career is of any concern to him. He gave us one of the top victories in program history.
Erik Kimery(sp) made one pass for us in all his years with us, but he's a hero to you probably.
I think Garcia's family was well off. I don't know how well off. I suspect that, had he taken a more serious approach both to college and to football, he would have gone a lot further. He could have been one of our legends. His status will always come somewhat short of that.

I wonder if Connor Shaw naturally had a strong work ethic or if he just watched Stephen Garcia and said to himself “do the opposite of that”? Talk about squandered talent.
He had a responsibility to USC and its dedicated avid fans. That responsibility meant nothing to him. If he had had CS's attitude and drive, he might have won a NC and he would have been a semi-god to USC fans and would have been rich beyond his wildest dreams.
So, after all his shenanigans he hurt himself a lot more. I wonder if he realizes that?

He would deliberately misbehave in order to get out of Spring practice. What kind of an example is that for fellow teammates? He was in trouble almost from the moment he stepped onto campus. A spoiled rotten me first rich parents' kid.

I was in the car so only caught bits of the interview but Jay kept mentioning Perry which I assumed was Perry Orth. So I guess they are doing another camp together or something. And Garcia's also a dad now.
Last I heard he was doing QB instruction with Perry Orth. If Garcia had the work ethic Orth or Shaw had he could've been a true legend here, instead of just being a legend to middle aged salesmen who lived vicariously through his silly exploits. It's a shame, he flashed glimpses of brilliance at times, but never could get out of his own way.

He's been a Dad for quite a while, think his first kid came around either his Sr year of HS or his Freshman year here.

He's been a dad. He had a child in high school.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Garcia was fun, although maddening, to watch. One of my favorite moments was when we were playing LSU, and Garcia was about to run for a TD on a QB keeper when the referee sort of came out of nowhere and leaned his shoulder into Garcia and knocked him to the ground. Damnedest thing I ever saw.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Garcia was fun, although maddening, to watch. One of my favorite moments was when we were playing LSU, and Garcia was about to run for a TD on a QB keeper when the referee sort of came out of nowhere and leaned his shoulder into Garcia and knocked him to the ground. Damnedest thing I ever saw.
Why in the world would that be one of your "favorite" moments!?

This is kind of where my thoughts are with Garcia. For every great performance he would tend to follow it up with with a dud, or two. This includes his pitiful bowl performances. For me, he'll always be a case of what might have been.

Garcia is doing Youth QB Camps. Pretty good interview with podcasts from time to time. He admits he spent too much time in bars when he was here, sounded from other interviews that he did not exactly respond well to the criticism Spurrier was very famous for with his QBs.

Garcia was an exciting player. He chose us when many weren’t. He was a big part of the success here…which probably would’ve come during his tenure at QB had he stayed more focused. I still believe Garcia, though a knucklehead, was somewhat a victim of circumstances too. Sure, some of the things he did were ridiculous, but there is no doubt he was targeted for things others wouldn’t have been…especially early on. Garcia is an alright guy. He’s just a bit of a goon. He is still the only QB in our history to lead us to an Eastern Division Title. So there is reason for fans to still love the guy.

I do remember hearing a story about when Shaw first arrived to SC. Garcia and some other guys were going out drinking and Garcia was asking Shaw to go with them. Shaw kept turning them down. Apparently it was kind of obvious to everyone that Shaw wasn’t interested in making the same mistakes Garcia had made in his career already up to that point. I was told this story before Shaw really blossomed. They are buds now, but back then it sounded like Shaw was wise in keeping his space in some areas. Of course Shaw didn’t come with near the fanfare Garcia came with. In fact, many criticized the hell out of Shaw as a sophomore and even as a junior.

Reactions: Gaimcock
I remember hearing that he was so drunk that he sh*t the pool at his condo. Or was that Tannyhill?
That was Garcia. I heard that rumor too. I still laugh at the thought of it. You’ve got to be pretty plastered to just $hit your pants by the pool. I’d love to get confirmation on this.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT