ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen Garcia was just on 107.5 and it was a good listen.

If Garcia had the work ethic Orth or Shaw had he could've been a true legend here, instead of just being a legend to middle aged salesmen who lived vicariously through his silly exploits.
SG didn't have the arm....work ethic wouldn't have mattered.
Blake, Connor, & Dylan all had better arms than SG....Stephen couldn't throw a fade.

But he sure was fun to watch. 👍

SG didn't have the arm....work ethic wouldn't have mattered.
Blake, Connor, & Dylan all had better arms than SG....Stephen couldn't throw a fade.

But he sure was fun to watch. 👍
Garcia definitely had the arm. Better than any of the 3 you mentioned. Much better than Shaw’s. Hell, he threw at Florida’s ProDay a few years ago and scouts were raving about how Garcia still had a such a great arm. That’s his reputation as a coach in Tampa … the people / players he works with are still shocked by how he can throw it. Accuracy is one thing, but he still had / has an arm. Literally none of Garcia’s issues had to do anything with ability, especially his arm.

Garcia definitely had the arm. Better than any of the 3 you mentioned. Much better than Shaw’s. Hell, he threw at Florida’s ProDay a few years ago and scouts were raving about how Garcia still had a such a great arm. That’s his reputation as a coach in Tampa … the people / players he works with are still shocked by how he can throw it. Accuracy is one thing, but he still had / has an arm. Literally none of Garcia’s issues had to do anything with ability, especially his arm.
Totally disagree...but if you want to provide some stats or evidence, I'm open to changing my mind.

Totally disagree...but if you want to provide some stats or evidence, I'm open to changing my mind.
I don’t need to. You just said something based on whatever you wanted to say. That’s what message boards are I guess. If you said Garcia couldn’t execute…you may have something. But as far as arm, the only one comparable is Dylan Thompson. Garcia never lacked an arm. You are the only person I’ve ever heard say anything like that. You can agree to disagree…some people are ok with being wrong. The only explanation I can think of to support what you said is you consider having an arm means accuracy while pretty much everyone in the world would say having an arm means arm strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
Uh, no, did not mean that.

Any Gamecock would know you meant these. You’d think a Gamecock fan would remember the 2:00 and 2:45 minute marks when you mention fades against Alabama. Some would rather remember the ones that didn’t work…not that it was all Garcia’s fault they weren’t caught in 2009.

Which, when did throwing a fade become the measurement for having an arm anyway?

It’s funny. I’d be the first to say Shaw was a much better QB than Garcia. But that critique of him came out of nowhere.

BTW, I just went and watched the 3 in a row in 2009. 1st pass was I’m too far inside and Alshon got jammed. No shot. 2nd pass was perfect and Alshon got both hands on it and clinched it before their DB knocked it away from him. Couldn’t have thrown it any better. 3rd pass was overthrown, but thank goodness. It’s possible Garcia even saw the safety run over to help because they double teamed Alshon expecting us to throw it again. The issue here was we called 3 straight fades. Not how Garcia threw the 3 fades.

Last edited:

Any Gamecock would know you meant these. You’d think a Gamecock fan would remember the 2:00 and 2:45 minute marks when you mention fades against Alabama. Some would rather remember the ones that didn’t work…not that it was all Garcia’s fault they weren’t caught in 2009.

Which, when did throwing a fade become the measurement for having an arm anyway?

It’s funny. I’d be the first to say Shaw was a much better QB than Garcia. But that critique of him came out of nowhere.
Yeah, I mean really?

Great players tend to remember the games that they lost during their playing days. I doubt Garcia sits around thinking about those.

I think you are referencing the next game in the endzone...KY.
It was this game. Before 1st field goal....1st & goal at the 5.
1st & Goal at ALA 5
(3:29 - 2nd) Stephen Garcia pass incomplete to Alshon Jeffery.

2nd & Goal at ALA 5
(3:23 - 2nd) Stephen Garcia pass incomplete to Alshon Jeffery.

3rd & Goal at ALA 5
(3:18 - 2nd) Stephen Garcia pass incomplete to Alshon Jeffery.

4th & Goal at ALA 5
(3:14 - 2nd) Spencer Lanning 22 yard field goal GOOD.

Was that not the genius of Spurrier insisting that the play can work and persistantly calling the same play (it's what the announcers thought) ? When plays and progresions like this went on, you could see Gar looking to the sidelines and Spurrier not doing anything to indicate guidance. ALL THE TIME. I think his QB coach Mangus was great in handling the situation and made chicken salad out of it. Spurrier just did not like Garcias' style of play. IMO.
Garcia got his degree on schedule and graduated. Boys will be boys. He could take a SEC hit too, not like other smaller QBs that sat out for injury numerous times.

It was this game. Before 1st field goal....1st & goal at the 5.
1st & Goal at ALA 5
(3:29 - 2nd) Stephen Garcia pass incomplete to Alshon Jeffery.

2nd & Goal at ALA 5
(3:23 - 2nd) Stephen Garcia pass incomplete to Alshon Jeffery.

3rd & Goal at ALA 5
(3:18 - 2nd) Stephen Garcia pass incomplete to Alshon Jeffery.

4th & Goal at ALA 5
(3:14 - 2nd) Spencer Lanning 22 yard field goal GOOD.

Good ol' Lanning Spenser

• Haha
Reactions: Legendary Cock
Was that not the genius of Spurrier insisting that the play can work and persistantly calling the same play (it's what the announcers thought) ? When plays and progresions like this went on, you could see Gar looking to the sidelines and Spurrier not doing anything to indicate guidance. ALL THE TIME. I think his QB coach Mangus was great in handling the situation and made chicken salad out of it. Spurrier just did not like Garcias' style of play. IMO.
Garcia got his degree on schedule and graduated. Boys will be boys. He could take a SEC hit too, not like other smaller QBs that sat out for injury numerous times.
Spurrier butted heads with Garcia, but he obviously felt comfortable with his arm as Garcia attempted over 400 passes more than Shaw in his career. No doubt those fades were frustrating because of the hard-headedness of Spurrier to call the play 3 straight times. Alshon had the 2nd one and I’d guarantee you he’d tell you he should held onto it. They doubled him on the 3rd. Your assessment is correct.

I see Garcia and the Spurs up dude had a little back and forth on Twitter.funny.

I don't really understand the love of Garcia today

My man was 2-0 starting vs Clemson, blew them out both games, 34-17 in 2009, and 29-7 in 2010, won an SEC East Championship, I guess I'm easy, I can forget the rest, I will always have love for him :)

He just retweeted the Alabama score today, so yes, he beat the # 1 team in the nation to for the first time, as well, I left that out, my bad Stephen!!!

Last SEC East QB to beat Alabama

Last edited:
I don’t need to. You just said something based on whatever you wanted to say. That’s what message boards are I guess. If you said Garcia couldn’t execute…you may have something. But as far as arm, the only one comparable is Dylan Thompson. Garcia never lacked an arm. You are the only person I’ve ever heard say anything like that.
Stephen did not have an elite arm and anyone that is unbiased knows this.

For people to imply that if Stephen had "worked harder" he would have been some kind of QB legend is misplaced and it needs to go away. It's an insult to Stephen that has no factual backing.

He was not a failure.

As much as most of us loved watching the guy play, there's a reason he never got invited to an NFL camp and it wasn't a few college kid screwups.

Stephen did not have an elite arm and anyone that is unbiased knows this.

For people to imply that if Stephen had "worked harder" he would have been some kind of QB legend is misplaced and it needs to go away. It's an insult to Stephen that has no factual backing.

He was not a failure.

As much as most of us loved watching the guy play, there's a reason he never got invited to an NFL camp and it wasn't a few college kid screwups.
Going from having an arm to having an “elite arm”? What exactly is elite? You said Blake Mitchell, Dylan Thompson, and Connor Shaw had a better arm. That’s simply false. His arm was stronger than all the above. And nobody is saying he would’ve turned into a QB legend, at least I’m not…but you are crazy if you dont understand the reason Garcia never got an NFL shot was because of his off the field issues and work ethic. He had the tools to be on an NFL roster. Still, the main thing I’m replying to is the fact you say Garcia didn’t have the arm. That’s laughable.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I swear, there are some holier than though, never did anything wrong or made a bad decision in their lives, individuals on this board. Garcia made some bad decisions and it cost him. He still committed to play for USC and he came here and did what he could given his circumstances. I'm sure in hindsight he would love to have gone back and done things differently but he still gave us some good moments and he was and is a very likeable guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT