ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Spurrier = Tommy Bowden?

SILVERSPUR-rier

Nov 18, 2004
Has Spurrier morphed into Tommy Bowden? Every season it seemed Clemson would lose a game they had no reason losing. They would have mediocre seasons (always winning more than they lose, but never making it to the "next" level), but Tommy seemed to stay off the hot seat by beating his rival each year. Is this what Spurrier is becoming?

Has Spurrier morphed into Tommy Bowden? Every season it seemed Clemson would lose a game they had no reason losing. They would have mediocre seasons (always winning more than they lose, but never making it to the "next" level), but Tommy seemed to stay off the hot seat by beating his rival each year. Is this what Spurrier is becoming?

Hard to put SOS in to that category. I would compare him to Lou Holtz currently. This is starting to look like Lou's last two seasons here... SOS took us to the next level, but he is stalling and is currently in free fall..

Reactions: lilburncock

Tommy Bowden played in a conference championship game? Oh never mind, that was spurrier. And it was in the greatest league against the greatest college football.

Tommy Bowden played in a conference championship game? Oh never mind, that was spurrier. And it was in the greatest league against the greatest college football.

Meanwhile, Mizzou had played in the thing twice....in their second and third year at that. It was great we got to play in it finally but we need to quit resting on that because when Mizzou came in and shook things up, it became irrelevant.

Meanwhile, Mizzou had played in the thing twice....in their second and third year at that. It was great we got to play in it finally but we need to quit resting on that because when Mizzou came in and shook things up, it became irrelevant.

If mizzou played in the big 12 now they would be top 5 in the country. It's no different than the hype tcu and Baylor get. Both of them would be 8 win teams in the east. They would win their share of sec east, but mizzou is no easy task.

If mizzou played in the big 12 now they would be top 5 in the country. It's no different than the hype tcu and Baylor get. Both of them would be 8 win teams in the east. They would win their share of sec east, but mizzou is no easy task.

A TCU team that completely dismantled Ole Miss would be an 8 win team in the east? are you serious? They would destroy every team in the east, except for maybe UGA.

There is no comparing Spurrier to Tommy Bowden. Tommy never won anything, at least Coach Spurrier has a NC at Florida. Spurrier has won big games where Bowden's teams would lay down. You might compare this last couple of years to Papa Bowden's last few but not Tommy.

There is no comparing Spurrier to Tommy Bowden. Tommy never won anything, at least Coach Spurrier has a NC at Florida. Spurrier has won big games where Bowden's teams would lay down. You might compare this last couple of years to Papa Bowden's last few but not Tommy.
So what? Doesn't that illustrate the issue? SOS won zero championships here. That's all that matters to me. I'm beginning to believe the criticism of others who say we have a problem with some of our own fans who worship SOS more than they support our own program. We are the Gamecocks, not the Spurriers.

Well Tommy did beat us like a drum...
I'll take that...

If this is the case then who is our "Dabo" on the staff that will take SOS's place when he gets fired?

There is no denying Spurrier is the superior coach over the span of entire careers, but I think there is some truth to it when comparing Spurrier's SC years to Bowden's Clemson years.

Both dominated their rival

Both lost games they had no business losing (SC vs UK, Vandy, a down UT) (Clem vs Wake, BC, Duke)

Both won games that shocked the football world. (SC vs #1 Miss and #1 Bama) (Clem vs #3 FSU, #6 UT)

Neither won a conference championship...(though Spurrier played for one, he was one game away from another appearance.)

Both have/had name recognition...but Spurrier is known for his own accolades and Bowden was know for his dad's accolades. At the time I guess Bowden was one of the hottest names, but we all soon found out that Rich Rod was responsible for TBowden's early success.

6 cocks4EVA_,
---------------------------------------------------------------------
maybe Indiana should move to the SEC East then since they had no trouble with Mizzou last year...

Compare him to Bobby Bowden who surrounded himself with yes men and his sons and would not fire his crappy assistants. But Spurrier can call plays while Bowden just recruited. Bowden cheated relentlessly, too.
Unlike Clemson, whose title will always be tainted, Spurrier is USCs best chance to get one the right way. IMO, it won't happen unless his son gives up one of his 2 jobs...which again imo, he isn't cutting it at either for the last 2 years.

Please don't put OBC in the same category as Tammy Bowden. Tammy is one of the worst HC's in CFB history. Very average. OBC just isn't able to recruit to the same level at South Carolina as he was at UF not due to more rigorous academic standards at Carolina mind you but just the overall speed and talent that he had in the state of Florida.

I'm sure you did mind that 7-2 record against us...

I would compare him to someone that looks like their tired of coaching. I dont feel like his heart is into it anymore....i could be wrong

Btw Bobby won more titles at FSU and if Spurrier had any semblance of a brain he would have stayed at UF instead of going to the NFL but UF thanks him because they lucked into Urban Meyer who won more titles in 3 years at UF than Spurrier won in 10 years.
It is exponentially more difficult to win a 1st football NC for a D1 football program. The proof is in the pudding. Spurrier was the last coach to win a 1st NC for a D1 football program. You will probably tell me that Gene Chizik is a better coach than Gary Patterson, because he won a 2nd or 3rd NC for Auburn in 2010. Chizik is still going strong as Auburn's HC!! Oh.........wait a minute

Btw Bobby won more titles at FSU and if Spurrier had any semblance of a brain he would have stayed at UF instead of going to the NFL but UF thanks him because they lucked into Urban Meyer who won more titles in 3 years at UF than Spurrier won in 10 years.

Since clemson and SMU u can't buy titles anymore tater

Spurrier won more bowl games in his tenure than we won in 100 yrs before he came. Also winningest coach in history. If bowden did that then I guess the answer is yes

No. Bowden never won more than 9 games in a season and only did it twice. Spurrier has done far more at a school that did not have much of a winning tradition before he came. Spurrier proved you could win big at USC and made us nationally relevant. Prior to the 2013 season there were plenty in the media stating we could win it all. I've been a Gamecock fan for a while and I don't believe there are many who fully understand how much he has accomplished here. I just hope that he can turn it around so he can finish his career on a high note.

Reactions: big9cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT