ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Market

I’m waiting to see how this affects the housing markets. Stocks, that’s definitely a hard thing to gauge. What are things that people rely on? Companies that don’t rely on the Government.

I bought the crap out the apple, Netflix, amazon, baba and boeing several months back. In addition, still continue to buy qyld.

Holding pattern for all stocks except qyld.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
On hold, expect a downturn, but who understands the stock market?

It has been a very rocky 6 months.

Right now I have four holdings:

ET Energy Transfer
WCC Wesco
NBL Noble Energy
TEN Tenneco

These are all presently Morningstar 5* Stocks. I think we may have a V recovery. I am looking three years out. No guarantees, do your own research and glta!

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Seriously, when will the triple threat of Covid, social upheaval and a Presidential election occurring simultaneously hit the market? I know it looks ahead, but all these layoffs, shutdowns, restructuring have to take a toll, don't they?

My 2 cents: While I’ve been critical of the President on here there’s no doubt Wall Street likes him. A November Biden win could have a negative effect as fear of changing economic policies take hold. Worth monitoring. Obviously the time would be November but could continue into a bear market. Great question and legitimate concern.

Without a second stimulus, I expect PPP loan layoffs (corona) effects to hit around mid to late October. I would’ve said July, but the feds extended the program, thus providing a temporary band aid. They could extend it again but closing in on an election could impact that decision too.

I think the social aspect is overblown. The rioting allowed a group of people to let some steam out but you’re already seeing that disappear. Now it’s just one bad cop video or acquittal from reappearing, but for now the coast is clear. The trial is a while off for the Floyd cops.

Personally, I’d advise you to find stock in companies that have either benefited or have been unaffected (Netflix and Tesla come to mind) by the pandemic for now. I know there’s a ton of “buy low” people out there now but the reality is this thing hasn’t bottomed out yet. It’s more of a slow bottoming out. You will see some more companies fold before it gets better.

Until a vaccine happens this probably isn’t solved. Our lax attitudes over masks, shutdowns and distancing (not everyone but as a whole) have allowed this virus to spread. We will never get Hurd immunity despite what the amateur scientists think. Our best bets are a vaccine or it mutates into a less fatal strain over time (could be a few years) that allows businesses to recover.

I'm looking to go with some (imo) pretty safe bets in the long run that are currently 20% or more down but strong enough not to fall much further with fingers crossed. I'm thinking Coke. Probably wait a week or two tho.

To piggyback off this thread, what will happen to the market if Sleepy Joe wins in November?

If you are already in, hold. If not, I would hold off buying.
I agree. I'm gonna hold what I have. It dropped rather quickly months ago but has held pretty steady to creeping up since. I will wait a little longer before adding... but not much longer. Kinda feel any loss I may realize will be short term. Im looking long term and I want to double what I have.

My Apple and Facebook stocks are worth more now than before Covid when the market was at an all-time high - they’ve always outperformed anything else I’ve purchased by huge margins.

I do expect the market to drop significantly when schools all go online for the Fall (it’s already happening with Nashville and Atlanta already doing this). The market has thus far ignored what was happening around the country, but eventually this is going to catch up when optimism falls. I’ll probably sell when the market drops, but buy right back in (and not try and wait for the bottom) as Apple and Facebook will shoot back up again faster than most stocks.

To piggyback off this thread, what will happen to the market if Sleepy Joe wins in November?

No one knows.

I suspect nothing much given the fact that the market likes stability more than the political party in office. So if biden wins the market will look for stability and might actually benefit from a consistent policy instead of tweets that serve to rock the market.

it will be a bit rocky but it’s been rocky.

Nothing. I have over 40% of my assets in cash. I'm also not selling.

When ICUs are overflowing with Covid-19 cases you will see more and more states forced to shut down again. When that happens the stock market will drop.

The hope people have placed in science and the discovery of a treatment or effective vaccine is the primary reason the market has not already dropped back to the March lows.

There is also the possibility that wearing a mask and social distancing can be effective and level off the number of new cases if people will follow the guidelines.

I'm mostly invested in NASDAQ tech stocks that are cloud related, online retail, and other software stocks. Mostly things less affected by Covid. It's been very profitable since the Covid crash in March.

Tesla, Trade Desk, Overstock, Wayfair, Crowdstrike, Zoom, Netflix have been really good to me. I'm not sure how long before it plays out, and some may be overpriced now, but it's been more consistent lately than anything else. Also Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and Facebook are good bets.

Do some good research and stay on top of it, is my best advice. It also wouldn't hurt to get help from a reputable paysite such as Motley Fool or several others.

AMD- Will benefit from both game consoles coming out holiday 2020
CHGG- Online learning will continue to blow up
QRVO- Good 5G stock
AMZN- Of course.... way overbought, need to wait for the next dip
NFLX- Way overbought, need to wait for the next dip

Last edited:
AMD- Will benefit from both game consules coming out holiday 2020
QRVO- Good 5G stock
I agree with buying on dips where possible unless it's on a run.

The target price for Netflix was actually raised to well over $600 so it may have room to grow sitting at around $550. It had a huge day Friday.

AMD- Will benefit from both game consoles coming out holiday 2020
QRVO- Good 5G stock
Netflix and Amazon have been way overbought for the last 5 years. I made a ton of money on these overbought stocks.

The last I heard was it was ineffective and way too expensive. Never heard anything about any 62% improvement. That was Fauci's baby. He was promoting it.
It's out there, go find it....but like with everything these days, could be fake news...just like cases and deaths

I agree with buying on dips where possible unless it's on a run.

The target price for Netflix was actually raised to well over $600 so it may have room to grow sitting at around $550. It had a huge day Friday.

I think there’s still room to grow with Netflix, especially now that YouTube Tv has hiked their rates. If Hulu follows suit there may be some people who have one of these streaming services who bounce to Netflix for their TV needs. I personally couldn’t just watch Netflix for my love of sports, but there are millions out there who could care less and they spend money too.

I'm mostly invested in NASDAQ tech stocks that are cloud related, online retail, and other software stocks. Mostly things less affected by Covid. It's been very profitable since the Covid crash in March.

Tesla, Trade Desk, Overstock, Wayfair, Crowdstrike, Zoom, Netflix have been really good to me. I'm not sure how long before it plays out, and some may be overpriced now, but it's been more consistent lately than anything else. Also Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and Facebook are good bets.

Do some good research and stay on top of it, is my best advice. It also wouldn't hurt to get help from a reputable paysite such as Motley Fool or several others.

If you have owned those stocks for a few months you have made out like a bandit. I put Tesla on my wish list when it was at $989 about 10 days ago. I never pulled the trigger. It closed Friday at $1544.65. I was only going to buy 5 shares at just under $5,000. I would be up $2500 if I had gone through with it.

Watching ROKU, SQ, DOCU and MRNA (Moderna) now.

I did buy AAPL at $250.

Bought NVAX in March and it has gained over 650%. After the market hit its bottom a couple of months ago my whole portfolio has gained over 80%. I just wish I would have bought more of that NVAX stock. Paid 12.48 a share and now its almost $95 a share.
Good pick. I’ve liked NVAX. INO and ATRA had a good run over the last few weeks, but now May be settling back. INO took a big hit a number of weeks ago on unfavorable news, but had some good bones, so it recovered quickly. But pharm stocks are risky. But, the right one can pay dividends right now in a big way.

I’m liking DFFN to pop if it can get favorable news from the FDA. But, it is risky.

Im not looking to skew things Democrat or Republican but a Biden win would certainly cause instability. The market knows what Trump will and will not do (or at least they feel that way enough to not shift the market).
It really depends, but the rhetoric would be unfavorable in most cases. If he rolls back the Trump tax cuts and returns corporate rates higher it could spell trouble. Those items drove the market favorably. Also, Biden flip flops ( or doesn’t remember) depending on your view. The markets like Trump because they can predict him easier and he is typically pro-business. Biden may be unpredictable, which markets don’t like. You could actually see a slide in early fall if the market feels an uncertain change is coming. In other words, it could be “baked in” a little pre-election. Of course, that assumes the market sees a Biden win, which can be quite different than a current poll.

And this caveat, over the last 5-6 months - the market is unpredictable on its own.

I’m gonna try and get what I can now and go very conservative post Labor Day until the election - unless something becomes very obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT