ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Market

Who on this board thinks that NYC will recover from the COVID and domestic unrest twin crises? In spite of really poor elected governance, I believe it will.

I have invested in a NYC REIT, and am thinking about going all in on this theme, at least for a while. At worst, due to a correction it is dead money for a couple of years, but if the crisis ends as quickly as it came, this scenario could pay off big time.
Hmmm.......I think this is a risky play at best. People are moving away from NYC in droves. The work at home environment is here to stay for a large number of corporations and businesses. There are much better options for "dead money" in my opinion. Hope I am wrong for your sake. Good luck....

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
Dr kevorkian aka Fauci speaks and the market drops 1000 points. Can’t let it hit 30.000. Smh
There are currently 193,413 American covid deaths. When it hits the psychologically devastating 200,000 level, it won't matter what Fauci or anyone else says. It may not immediately impact the stock market. But, it will impact the economy, sooner rather than later.

There are currently 193,413 American covid deaths. When it hits the psychologically devastating 200,000 level, it won't matter what Fauci or anyone else says. It may not immediately impact the stock market. But, it will impact the economy, sooner rather than later.
I think people have pretty much said screw it and are getting on with their lives. I saw massive numbers of people out and about this past week. Many of the restaurants I’ve visited are even letting more people sit inside this weekend.

I think people have pretty much said screw it and are getting on with their lives.
Some, but not all. And that makes the economy subject to a double dip. I see some restaurant parking lots being thinner than usual. I look at events in Charleston having been cancelled. If we get back to fully packed football stadiums, then maybe. But until then, I'm skeptical.

Hmmm.......I think this is a risky play at best. People are moving away from NYC in droves. The work at home environment is here to stay for a large number of corporations and businesses. There are much better options for "dead money" in my opinion. Hope I am wrong for your sake. Good luck....

Yes, it is risky. However, if I wait until everything is clear and the Covid-19 thing is solved, then NYC real estate will already have recovered somewhat, and the REIT stocks will already have moved.

So, I have a moderate stake now in ESRT, which I will monitor closely and hope to get a single out of it, not going for a home run. BTW, it is a small cap value stock and has a 5* Morningstar rating. Everyone should do their own due diligence, and GLTA!

Yes, it is risky. However, if I wait until everything is clear and the Covid-19 thing is solved, then NYC real estate will already have recovered somewhat, and the REIT stocks will already have moved.

So, I have a moderate stake now in ESRT, which I will monitor closely and hope to get a single out of it, not going for a home run. BTW, it is a small cap value stock and has a 5* Morningstar rating. Everyone should do their own due diligence, and GLTA!

GLTA?

Reactions: sclawman77
How can you put more money in the stock market with this upcoming election and with the current status of America? I guess it's always a gamble playing the market, but right now it's more like playing russian roulette.
I felt that way all through this Covid mess, but thank god I did push back in this April...

Reactions: cocks rule
Dr. Fauci says it’s ‘unlikely’ a coronavirus vaccine will be ready by U.S. election

This guy isn't making the vaccine and it's like he likes to tell people his opinion everyday, every minute of the day...

He cannot leave the stage....
He is the foremost infectious disease expert in this country. He should never have been asked to “leave the stage”. We are literally doing what Trump just accused the dems of doing- “playing politics with people’s lives”- from the dems trying to make things seem worse than they are and make it seem as though vaccine hopes are less than they really are.. to Trump and his team literally pushing any expert out of the way who tells the truth instead of what he wants them to say. We should be listening to doctors and scientists not politicians and media personalities. Fauci is literally one of only a handful of people in the world with his level of knowledge and experience in regards to these types of outbreaks and the administration has literally tried to silence him and people are threatening his life and the life of his family because he has tried to tell the truth instead of joining the political fray, picking a side and delivering a party line. It is disgusting the way he has been treated, and a testament to what is really wrong in this country today!

He is the foremost infectious disease expert in this country. He should never have been asked to “leave the stage”. We are literally doing what Trump just accused the dems of doing- “playing politics with people’s lives”- from the dems trying to make things seem worse than they are and make it seem as though vaccine hopes are less than they really are.. to Trump and his team literally pushing any expert out of the way who tells the truth instead of what he wants them to say. We should be listening to doctors and scientists not politicians and media personalities. Fauci is literally one of only a handful of people in the world with his level of knowledge and experience in regards to these types of outbreaks and the administration has literally tried to silence him and people are threatening his life and the life of his family because he has tried to tell the truth instead of joining the political fray, picking a side and delivering a party line. It is disgusting the way he has been treated, and a testament to what is really wrong in this country today!

He is NOT foremost infectious disease expert in this country!

He is a 50 year bureaucrat who started his career at National Institutes of Health and never had a real job outside the government and has had ethics, safety controversies...

Reactions: uscedge21

Medicine for profit and lawyers are the issue(s).

Did you see the slam-dunk Vit. D study last week? There's absolutely no way any vaccine will come close to that....Not to mention, they are fast-tracking something (vaccine) that is going to alter DNA/Mito even though we've never come up with the coronavirus vaccine in history (and the other virus-related vaccines are murky as well.) Would you want to be a first-mover?

Ag
Agree.

Nasdaq is down 9% over the past three trading seassions. This is within 1% of being defined a “correction”... after THREE DAYS. When this market dips it tumbles faster than I have ever seen in my career.

That article is talking about failures of managers working under him... So he is not a good people manager? How does that negate his expertise as a physician and immunologist with 50+ years of experience working with infectious disease outbreaks? It does not. He is revered as the keading voice on the matters in this country and was touted as such by Trump himself until one day he said something Trump didn’t like, got moved into a closet somewhere and got basically replaced as the too voice Trump relies on by some dude who literally has no experience as a physician and touts conspiracy theories and the herd immunity approach because that guy would say whatever trump wants him to say.

Nasdaq is down 9% over the past three trading seassions. This is within 1% of being defined a “correction”... after THREE DAYS. When this market dips it tumbles faster than I have ever seen in my career.

Yeah, but in the 20 days prior to those three days it was up 10.5% which is way too fast for any market to go up in any sensible way. Up 1.5% over 30 days is about right.

That article is talking about failures of managers working under him... So he is not a good people manager? How does that negate his expertise as a physician and immunologist with 50+ years of experience working with infectious disease outbreaks? It does not. He is revered as the keading voice on the matters in this country and was touted as such by Trump himself until one day he said something Trump didn’t like, got moved into a closet somewhere and got basically replaced as the too voice Trump relies on by some dude who literally has no experience as a physician and touts conspiracy theories and the herd immunity approach because that guy would say whatever trump wants him to say.

My parents worked with Fauci for 40 years... Fauci is sloppy and if he is sloppy dealing with his office, then his work will be sloppy... He got caught profiting with a drug company and had to donate the proceeds back in the 2000'...

Whatever you call Covid, it's generally thought to have originated in China. This wonderful tech run up you have enjoyed and are now agonizing over was perhaps due to Japan. I'm not sure there was any meaningful Russian involvement in the election, but China and Japan are sure responsible for a portion of our medical and finance systems being thrown into crazy volatility. And we thought North Korea was messing with us.

Because we've been printing money since 2008 as our Presidents both decided that they would rather use the stock market as an index for success (rather than going through a needed depression/inflationary period.)

Five (5) Trillion committed so far to COVID alone and close to 25 Trillion in total debt. This is an unprecedented and insane debasing of the dollar. The Treasury now has purchased a boatload of crap bonds from private companies. Thus, can't raise interest rates. Negative yield instruments are around the corner. This is how empires eventually fall.

Only options I see for a store of value are Gold/Silver or Bitcoin. Gold/Silver could be in jeopardy as apparently there could be plenty in space and Elon Musk is eyeing this. I'm betting on technology and a scare asset in BTC. A deflationary technology and a new peg for money. Could eventually become the world reserve currency.

Because we've been printing money since 2008 as our Presidents both decided that they would rather use the stock market as an index for success (rather than going through a needed depression/inflationary period.)

Five (5) Trillion committed so far to COVID alone and close to 25 Trillion in total debt. This is an unprecedented and insane debasing of the dollar. The Treasury now has purchased a boatload of crap bonds from private companies. Thus, can't raise interest rates. Negative yield instruments are around the corner. This is how empires eventually fall.

Only options I see for a store of value are Gold/Silver or Bitcoin. Gold/Silver could be in jeopardy as apparently there could be plenty in space and Elon Musk is eyeing this. I'm betting on technology and a scare asset in BTC. A deflationary technology and a new peg for money. Could eventually become the world reserve currency.
Wow. I have not seen anyone tell this truth since 2008. So many people have short memories. The valuations of some of these stocks are insane.

The Fed Reserve is blowing these asset bubbles to prevent the very scenario you described because they are afraid of deflation. If we have a full scale economic depression people could lose 70-80% very quickly. They believe they can manage asset inflation (bubbles) and finance deficit spending more easily than an full bore depression. In the 1870s, people dragged bankers from their offices and hung them from lamp poles when they couldn't get their money.

Now I realize that Greenspan and Bernanke argued that the reason the Great Depression became so bad was because the money supply was not increased enough. They didn't want to make that same mistake. But the GD lasted almost a decade. Plenty of economists have argued that sensible monetary and fiscal policy would have shortened the length of the GD - though it might have been worse for a short time.

Where we go from here is unknown. They may be able to manage these bubbles for another 10-15 or even 20 years. Or, it could pop in less than 30 days. But if you subscribe to orthodox monetary theory it cannot go on forever.

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
If I were to lay a bet I would guess that the Fed will step in again if this gets much worse. Where the trouble lies is if they intervene and it doesn't help. I'm not selling anything but I'm not buying anything either. Patience is a virtue when it comes to the stock market.

Seriously, when will the triple threat of Covid, social upheaval and a Presidential election occurring simultaneously hit the market? I know it looks ahead, but all these layoffs, shutdowns, restructuring have to take a toll, don't they?
The stock market doesn’t really look ahead- that is the BOND market. Bonds are (generally speaking) predictive, stocks are reactionary.
Yes there is a toll to pay for what has happened this year and every check they cut digs that hole deeper.

Hope you are not trying to make a living as an investment advisor? Did you do a Google search for companies under investigation for fraud? Ha.....

But.....you did make me look!

Yeah, so are other stocks like APPL, GOOG and all other stocks in the world... Those are lawyers who are running hedge fund trying to short the stocks...

These SPAC's are better than IPO's and if you look at the SPAC's management team before they merge with a company, you can make some great money... And if they don't merge within two years, you have a floor of $10.50 per share that you'll get back... Rather than the stock going to Zero. I'm sure you know that seeing that you did do your DD on blank companies aka SPAC's...

Hope you are not trying to make a living as an investment advisor? Did you do a Google search for companies under investigation for fraud? Ha.....

But.....you did make me look!

If you believe in the merger will take place, you can buy the warrants along with the common stock... Again, you're protected with the common stock, but the warrants can go to zero... Play it like Buffet... When he bought companies like GE and other dogs, he bought both common stocks and warrants... He made more money on warrants... Just saying...

You don't think these companies are good to invest in???

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Trump relies on by some dude who literally has no experience as a physician and touts conspiracy theories and the herd immunity approach because that guy would say whatever trump wants him to say.

If you are saying Trump is not too bright, well, DUH. I mean, Trump sat down for an interview by Bob Woodward (2 months before the election), who taped Trump's answers. Trump has got to be the dumbest person ever to be President of the United States.

If you are saying Trump is not too bright, well, DUH. I mean, Trump sat down for an interview by Bob Woodward (2 months before the election), who taped Trump's answers. Trump has got to be the dumbest person ever to be President of the United States.

And Jimmy Carter was smart. I don’t care about smart, it comes down to who is lucky.

If you believe in the merger will take place, you can buy the warrants along with the common stock... Again, you're protected with the common stock, but the warrants can go to zero... Play it like Buffet... When he bought companies like GE and other dogs, he bought both common stocks and warrants... He made more money on warrants... Just saying...
I really thought you were being facetious. Of the 10 stocks you originally mentioned, 6 are under investigation for fraud. The other 4 do not excite me in the least. Didn't waste my time looking at your other recommendations. You are free to invest in whatever you wish. Best of luck to you....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT