ADVERTISEMENT

Stopping Kentucky's run game ...

bushmastercock

Nov 30, 2015
CWM said in his press conference that he feels we have gotten much better at shedding blocks on the defensive side. If so, when you throw in kinlaw and how much better the offense is compared to when we played Kentucky last year, this could be a really fun game to watch Sat night. Go Gamecocks!

Benny is expected to play. Our run game hasn't been that solid numbers wise the first two games but that is more due to a lot of shuffling on the OL. The first series, our center went out and they had to shift the line around. Things should be better this week as he returns and they will be able to get more continuity in practice.

The Wildcat formation that we had a whole lot of success with the past three years against you guys has been very ineffective this year. High snaps and lack of motion or any passes have made it very predictable. Our OC said he is considered scrapping it, but I would be willing to bet that we will see more wrinkles.

You guys have looked very good this year so it should be interesting and a tough challenge for us. No doubt, WBS will be rocking Saturday night.

Snell returned to the game after the injury, and was very effective, he is playing Saturday.

Snell, who had an ice bag on his ribs after the game, said he would be fine.

Both players were able to return to the game following the initial injury on Saturday, with Snell putting up 100 more yards of offense and a 25-yard touchdown in the victory.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll...mith-blog/article172631311.html#storylink=cpy

We gave up some big chunks of yards to both NC State and Missouri RB's. What U.K did last year with the wildcat was a massacre.

Big test for our guys up front...chance for them to prove themselves as a unit. Looking forward to this one,

Big test for our guys up front...chance for them to prove themselves as a unit. Looking forward to this one,
Their run game seems to miss B. Williams and those two OL. Maybe losing the two deep threat WR's plays in a bit as well, but I am fairly confident they will try to pound the rock. If Snell isn't 100% I wonder how he will hold up with a heavy dose of carries. They will break out some version of the wildcat at some point esp if they are struggling to move the ball. Their QB is solid, but the two we just faced are at another level passing it. SC will stack it to stop the run.

Reactions: cocky4
Benny is expected to play. Our run game hasn't been that solid numbers wise the first two games but that is more due to a lot of shuffling on the OL. The first series, our center went out and they had to shift the line around. Things should be better this week as he returns and they will be able to get more continuity in practice.

The Wildcat formation that we had a whole lot of success with the past three years against you guys has been very ineffective this year. High snaps and lack of motion or any passes have made it very predictable. Our OC said he is considered scrapping it, but I would be willing to bet that we will see more wrinkles.

You guys have looked very good this year so it should be interesting and a tough challenge for us. No doubt, WBS will be rocking Saturday night.
Blake Bone is from my high school. What is your thoughts on him? He used to catch everything in high school.

Reactions: bterhune1
He is now their deep threat, but he isn't the fastest guy in the world. Averaging 33 yards a catch so far though

Kentucky needs two South Carolina boys to step up at receiver. We have Blake Bone on one side and Tavin Richardson from Byrnes High School on the other. Both have shown potential, but the offense has yet to open up much this year to give either of them many opportunities.

I watched both Kentucky games I have absolutely no idea what you will see out of the running attack. UK played it very close to the vest in the first two games. Their running package has consisted of dive to the right and dive to the left. The Wildcat Package has been just a straight catch and go, no motion, no counter fakes, nothing. Thus, it has been very ineffective. Against both SoMiss and EKU, Kentucky looked like they were playing to "not lose" instead of playing to win.

So, either they are sandbagging in an attempt to keep the full playbook off film, or the loss of Toth and Kemp was more damaging that we initially realized. Personally, I think the UK coaching staff realizes how important the USC game is and have played vanilla on defense and offense to minimize their exposure on film. Gran (offensive coordinator) has been saying that they might junk the Wildcat, but I don't believe that for a second. At their core, Kentucky wants to be a physical, between-the-tackles running team with a vertical passing game. Muschamp is no dummy; he'll be prepping for that very contingency all week.

Last edited:
I watched both Kentucky games I have absolutely no idea what you will see out of the running attack. UK played it very close to the vest in the first two games. Their running package has consisted of dive to the right and dive to the left. The Wildcat Package has been just a straight catch and go, no motion, no counter fakes, nothing. Thus, it has been very ineffective. Against both SoMiss and EKU, Kentucky looked like they were playing to "not lose" instead of playing to win.

So, either they are sandbagging in an attempt to keep the full playbook off film, or the loss of Toth and Kemp was more damaging that we initially realized. Personally, I think the UK coaching staff realizes how important the USC game is and have played vanilla on defense and offense to minimize their exposure on film. Gran (offensive coordinator) has been saying that they might junk the Wildcat, but I don't believe that for a second. At their core, Kentucky wants to be a physical, between-the-tackles running team with a vertical passing game. Muschamp is no dummy; he'll be prepping for that very contingency all week.
Do you think maybe UK is not all that and that they had a lot of undue hype?

Do you think maybe UK is not all that and that they had a lot of undue hype?

I think they are very similar to what they were last year: physical, patient, and tough. Johnson (the QB) is not the type to carry a team on his back, so they must be conservative and well prepared to win games. Teams with elite talent will beat them because they can take Snell away.

Blake Bone is from my high school. What is your thoughts on him? He used to catch everything in high school.

Blake hasn't set the world on fire while he has been at uk, but he has always seemed to step up at the most opportune times. This past week, he really played a great game and made some huge deep catches for us. I truly think that he has been an underutilized weapon in his time at UK. After the 93 yard performance last week, don't be surprised to see him targeted more.

I'm sure that they would liked to have used him more in the pass but where we are more of a running team, and Johnson was forced into action last year, it was harder to do. This year, he has had time to form a chemistry with some receivers and Bone seems to be one of them.

Reactions: wolverine 2
Maybe we'll all get to see more of Lynn Bowden and Bryant Koback this Sat night. but counting on true freshmen to make a difference in a crucial conference game on the road is very dicey. The OL play for UK has been the biggest disappointment so far. Pass protection has actually been OK for the most part, but the run blocking, not so much.

Remember Lynn Bowden (Jersey number 1). Won't be playing in the first quarter for UK because of targeting penalty last week. He is the future running out of the wildcat formation. That was the offense he qb'ed in high school. He's an ankle breaker.

I believe we can handle their run.
The key for us to winning is to limit their run game. We will not stop it completely, but we will have to be able to limit their success. We need to keep Skai focused on Snell!

Their passing game is not all that good now with a below average WR corp, and they have not been a big play team so far in their first two games. It's more of a dink and dunk passing game, when they do throw it. Go Cocks!!!

uh duh..as close as you came to losing to Eastern Kentucky, maybe you just aren't that good...No coach is stupid enough to hold back while almost losing to an FBS school..Also we saw your playbook all last season...You have the same staff and same skill players...Your Oline looks worse than last season though

Reactions: bterhune1
I'm just hoping UK keeps it close or we will get blown out. A lot has to go right for UK to win. And we will probably need the defense's help maybe a pick 6 or scoop and score fumble recovery.

Our second half play against EKU was much improved compared to USM and EKU (1st half). The key is Center, RB, QB positions. If those are playing well then we should be able to do a little bit of damage.

The key for us to winning is to limit their run game. We will not stop it completely, but we will have to be able to limit their success. We need to keep Skai focused on Snell!

Their passing game is not all that good now with a below average WR corp, and they have not been a big play team so far in their first two games. It's more of a dink and dunk passing game, when they do throw it. Go Cocks!!!
If we can make the HAVE to throw it we got them. Shell was a little banged up last week so we need to make him behave. Our fans will make a big difference this Sat. night and our guys will feed off it I don't think it gonna be pretty for Kensucky.

ADVERTISEMENT