ADVERTISEMENT

Story: Holbrook pleased with pitching

Avery Wilks

Staff Writer
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2013
After two weekend scrimmages, USC coach Chad Holbrook is pleased with the progress of his pitching staff.

Plus, insight into the race for the third weekend spot.

Here.

Looking forward to seeing how Coach Holbrook integrates all this talent through the season. We should have a lot of options on the mound, including the mid week games. It's interesting to me when I recall that beginning the 2010 season, Blake Cooper and Michael Roth had not been dominant pitchers, but along with Matt Price, were instumental in winning the CWS that year. You Just never know how things will play out in baseball.

But the two scrimmages left Holbrook no closer to naming the Gamecocks' third weekend starter, as the battle for the Sunday starting job still rages on between four candidates.

Junior left-hander Vince Fiori, sophomore lefty Josh Reagan, sophomore right-hander Reed Scott and freshman right-hander Clarke Schmidt each have a chance to earn the job, Holbrook said.

-----------------------------------

Avery - appreciate the free article. are Meyers and Holbrook leaning towards Widener as the closer at this point?

Originally posted by 2u0s0c1:

But the two scrimmages left Holbrook no closer to naming the Gamecocks' third weekend starter, as the battle for the Sunday starting job still rages on between four candidates.

Junior left-hander Vince Fiori, sophomore lefty Josh Reagan, sophomore right-hander Reed Scott and freshman right-hander Clarke Schmidt each have a chance to earn the job, Holbrook said.

-----------------------------------

Avery - appreciate the free article. are Meyers and Holbrook leaning towards Widener as the closer at this point?
Yep, Widener has the inside track for the role.

This does get me excited about our pitching staff! However (and this is always the problem when we play against ourselves)... I felt our biggest liability last season was inconsistent HITTING. While we expect pitchers to have an upper hand this early, and it could just be a case of our hitters being dominated by a very solid pitching staff... These reported numbers are not a great sign that we will score a bunch more runs this season! It sounds like we have a freshman slugger coming in, and I think we return most of our best hitters from last year. I am hopeful we will have a lot more POP in the lineup especially from a power hitting stand point... But do we have the bats to really make some noise this year? I felt like we were one power hitter away from making a run to Omaha last year. Looking over the lineup, I am stoked about our pitchers.. We have enough talent and experience to fill every starting spot and then some. I just hope we can score some more runs to give them the support they will need!

I think my biggest concern was how well breaking balls would work with the smooth seam ball. Glad to hear they're looking pretty good. I wonder if the movement seems different to the batters?

Anyway, at this point, I guess I'd rather have the batters with more work to do than the pitchers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT