ADVERTISEMENT

Straw Poll On Mask Rules

BigWillieCock

Gold Member
Sep 14, 2007
Disclaimer- I have my own informed opinion on mask effectiveness, and whether pro or con on the topic, I’m totally fine wearing one.

That said, here in Charleston we have code enforcement on masks. Our business recently received a code violation for an employee not wearing a mask. The code enforcement officer was literally walking through the retail center looking in the window. Our employee works alone, no customers in the store at the time.

Meanwhile if I go to a restaurant inside and full of people no one is wearing a mask at their table.

I don’t understand why it’s totally fine for 100 people in a 2,000 sq ft room to not wear masks but 1 person in a 700 sq ft space must wear one.

Can someone help me understand what I’m missing here?

I’ve never been a fan of the mask mandates from the beginning. I am a volunteer at the Wells Fargo Championship and I was looking forward to getting back out there next month after it being cancelled last year. That was until we were told we would have to wear masks the entire time we were there. There was a chance that we could get a pass if we were fully vaccinated (which I am), but that never came to fruition unfortunately. Sorry, but being required/forced to wear a mask outside is just plain dumb and I withdrew from the tournament the other day.

When it comes to mandates, I think there’s too much grey when you lay it out all out. From what I understand, there is no longer a mask mandate in SC (I live in the other Carolina), but some counties have their own mandates so the rules vary quite a bit. It needs to be a statewide thing if you ask me. If there’s not one, you’re obviously still free to wear one, but the people who don’t want to wear one should be allowed to do so without having to worry about being fined.

This past week was spring break for the school systems around here and it was funny to see how many people went to SC, FL and TN. Wonder why...

I’ve never been a fan of the mask mandates from the beginning. I am a volunteer at the Wells Fargo Championship and I was looking forward to getting back out there next month after it being cancelled last year. That was until we were told we would have to wear masks the entire time we were there. There was a chance that we could get a pass if we were fully vaccinated (which I am), but that never came to fruition unfortunately. Sorry, but being required/forced to wear a mask outside is just plain dumb and I withdrew from the tournament the other day.

When it comes to mandates, I think there’s too much grey when you lay it out all out. From what I understand, there is no longer a mask mandate in SC (I live in the other Carolina), but some counties have their own mandates so the rules vary quite a bit. It needs to be a statewide thing if you ask me. If there’s not one, you’re obviously still free to wear one, but the people who don’t want to wear one should be allowed to do so without having to worry about being fined.

This past week was spring break for the school systems around here and it was funny to see how many people went to SC, FL and TN. Wonder why...
I read that the town of St Matthews near Orangemen voted to extend their back mandate until mid July. Wtf ?

Yes. I live on the coast. What normally takes 10 minutes in the car took 50 minutes this week. Additionally we have supported a few local restaurants via takeout A LOT in the last year. So much so they know us. So busy this week they could not do take out even for their loyal customers (not a dig on them as much as how crazy it has been).

“Fully vaccinated” What does that mean?

Reactions: ruffledfeathers
VA has had a mask mandate since fairly early, and Lord Emperor Dr. Coonman has been ruling by executive order for over a year. That's not how it works. Now that the legislature has had a chance to meet, they should be approving a majority of his orders, but he still is unilaterally making decisions for all without any feedback.

Reactions: CockyinNoVa
Disclaimer- I have my own informed opinion on mask effectiveness, and whether pro or con on the topic, I’m totally fine wearing one.

That said, here in Charleston we have code enforcement on masks. Our business recently received a code violation for an employee not wearing a mask. The code enforcement officer was literally walking through the retail center looking in the window. Our employee works alone, no customers in the store at the time.

Meanwhile if I go to a restaurant inside and full of people no one is wearing a mask at their table.

I don’t understand why it’s totally fine for 100 people in a 2,000 sq ft room to not wear masks but 1 person in a 700 sq ft space must wear one.

I can only guess that the violation occurred because a customer could have walked in, and the employee should have been ready for that?

It's weird, I know, especially when held up against eating establishments.

Another tangent for me is why people who are vaccinated are still required to wear masks.

I can only guess that the violation occurred because a customer could have walked in, and the employee should have been ready for that?

It's weird, I know, especially when held up against eating establishments.

Another tangent for me is why people who are vaccinated are still required to wear masks.
My question too! At what point will it be ok for vaccinated people to return to freedom.

I've had no problem with donning a mask. It's common knowledge that many viral sicknesses are airborne. Masks don't prevent the spread of such infections. But they do reduce the amount of droplets being dispersed by those infected. Thus limiting the spread. So please wear your mask in public places. This thing still has a chance of mutating and getting worse. Just look at what's happening in Brazil and India.

I'm just not sure where the goalpost is anymore. It seems the masks were originally mandated to slow the spread as to not overwhelm the hospitals. Fine. Done. Then the masks were to primarly protect the vulnerable. In the meantime, they set up the vaccines to first take care of those vulnerables and are now to the point of including everyone. Because of that, one would assume the vulnerable is protected. If they opened it up to everyone before the vulnerable was protected... shame on them, they are idiots. Bottom line is it's time the govt gets out the way and let people make decisions for themselves because it's starting to look like the govt doesn't think we can.

We live in a country where the people, over the years, have voted into power, parties and politicians who will rule over us regardless of actual benefits or real world realities.

Narrative, feelings, desires, power and control are of primary importance. What is real, what is true, what actually works, and what does not work are of little to no consequence.

At some point however reality always asserts itself. When it does, the people pay the price not the political elites.

Summary:

We get exactly what the majority of the people vote for, and what we accept.

Last edited:
First of all, we've set ridiculous goals. There will always be viruses, bacteria, amoeba, fungi, worms, etc. that infect other organisms. Mask wearing, if properly worn (not usually the case), can play a part in preventing all types of infections, but we've never mandated it before. Just as important, probably more so, is washing hands, not touching your face, and not getting in each other's grill. I love it when businesses require masks, but have no soap or paper towels in their public restroom. I think the biggest problem is politicians and business management who are making rules without the needed knowledge and understanding.

Reactions: psmith5532
I wear a mask because of animmunocompromised family member, but I’m fully vaccinated. If a business has unmasked personnel, I stay out. But, I don't expect them to be punished by codes or laws. Let the market decide now that we have some semblance of control.

Even a cursory glance at the history of medicine and the nutritional field as a whole provides all you really need to know.

Opioids, Ciprofloxin, Mercury Fillings, etc.

1970s: sugar is good
1980s: fat free
1990s: sugar free
2000s: calorie-free
2010s: gluten-free
2020s: plant-based

Now we have an highly experimental drug that alters your genetics which should have been studied until late this decade.

The government has indemnified the providers.

Air Travel has been back on for over half a year and now they want to mandate passports?

Now they are stating that they vaccines are only good for 6 months?

Below is a “SPARS” exercise document from Johns Hopkins in 2017, which, like Event 201—If not more--predicted what is happening now and what is yet to come.
https://www.centerforhealthsecurity...mpleted-projects/spars-pandemic-scenario.html

"After showing no adverse side effects for nearly a year, several vaccine recipients slowly began to experience symptoms" - page 60

"As time passed and more people across the United States were vaccinated, claims of adverse side effects began to emerge" - page 59

"As the investigations grew in intensity, several high-ranking officials at the CDC and FDA were forced to step down and withdraw from government" - page 67

"Nearing the end of 2027, reports of new neurological symptoms began to emerge." - page 60

"Several parents claimed that their children were experiencing neurological symptoms" - page 59

"That month, a group of parents whose children developed mental retardation as a result of encephalitis in the wake of Corovax vaccination sued the federal government, demanding removal of the liability shield protecting the pharmaceutical companies responsible for developing and manufacturing Corovax." - page 59

"the fact that the majority of US citizens willing to be vaccinated had already been immunized, the negative publicity surrounding adverse reactions had little effect on nationwide vaccination rates." - page 59

"As these cases emerged, patients began filing for compensation under the PREP Act. Due to lingering uncertainties over possible links between vaccination and reported neurological symptoms, their compensation requests were placed on indefinite hold, pending further data analysis" - page 61

"This cohort, many of whom adamantly supported the Corovax vaccine initially, quickly took to social media to publicize their issues." - page 61

"Today, nearly five years since the St. Paul Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus made its global debut, there remain human cases in 14 countries across Europe, Africa, and Asia" - page 66

"As the pandemic tapered off, several influential politicians and agency representatives came under fire for sensationalizing the severity of the event for perceived political gain." - page 66

"President Archer’s detractors in the Republican Party seized the opportunity to publicly disparage the President and his administration’s response to the pandemic, urging voters to elect “a strong leader with the best interests of the American people at heart." - page 66

"Archer served as Vice President under President Jaclyn Bennett (2020- 2024), who did not seek a second term due to health concerns." - page 2

"CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practice (ACIP) identified the following priority groups for immunization: children aged 1-18, young adults 19-22 with chronic respiratory conditions, and pregnant women." - page 34

"To determine how to best distribute limited doses of Corovax to members of priority groups across the country, the US government resorted to new, controversial tactics; notably, having healthcare providers access patients’ electronic health records (EHRs) to determine the number of individuals in high-risk populations receiving care in particular areas."

I’m a microbiologist so I get it, but I’m also over it. At some point you have to balance science with practical day-to-day life.
It seems like govt in general is struggling with how to justify keeping extraordinary measures in place to prevent the spread of all respiratory illnesses all the time. They've already overreached IMHO.

Here's the SPARS 'pandemic'...
"The scenario is hypothetical; the infectious pathogen, medical countermeasures, characters, news media excerpts, social media posts, and government agency responses are entirely fictional."

And, no, the vaccine doesn't alter your genetics...

Reactions: wob

There was never a statewide mask mandate in SC. It was left up to the individual counties and municipalities.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Here's the SPARS 'pandemic'...
"The scenario is hypothetical; the infectious pathogen, medical countermeasures, characters, news media excerpts, social media posts, and government agency responses are entirely fictional."

And, no, the vaccine doesn't alter your genetics...

Correct. And they've pretty much nailed it so far which is surreal.

And yes, it does alter your genetics says both Harvard and MIT {link below}:

I know one thing. It's getting too damn hot again to be wearing a mask outside.

We went to San Antonio back in August (was supposed to be California). One of the things we did was Sea World and they required masks while in the park. You can bet your ass most people took them off once they got a distance from the gate. Wear a mask outside when it’s already 90 degrees at 10:00? Yeah, ok.

We've got close to 14 months of data at this point.

IMO, the tourist regions of SC are particularly good areas to analyze as they have pop. per capita {Charleston peninsula and HHI are starting to look like Manhattan}, people come from all over the world to visit, and the numbers don't seem to be overly politicized.

Charleston County // Population: 500,000+ (and growing exponentially since last census)
Charleston County // Visitors per year: 7,300,000
Charleston County // Coronavirus Deaths: 489 people (14 months)

Beaufort County // Population: 200,000+ (and growing exponentially since last census)
Beaufort County // Visitors per year: 4.500,000
Beaufort County // Coronavirus Deaths: 202 people (14 months)

The numbers b/t each county are highly correlated.

---------------------------------------

Virtually ALL DEATHS have been reported to have low Vitamin D levels.

A group of researchers in the U.S. just published a study that adds to the now overwhelming body of evidence linking vitamin D to COVID-19.

This study, which examined the records of 287 patients hospitalized for COVID-19 at Boston University Medical Center from March through August of 2020, was observational in nature, so it cannot prove a causal relationship.

However, it had two strengths relative to many previous vitamin D studies:

1. The researchers only included patients who had a 25D level measured within a year prior to admission. This reduces the likelihood of reverse causality (i.e., that patients with COVID-19 have low 25D levels because the disease suppresses vitamin D). It also addresses the problem we’ve seen with some studies that used 25D measurements from 10+ years prior to hospital admission.
  2. The researchers defined vitamin D sufficiency as >30 ng/mL. Many previous studies have used a cutoff of 20 ng/mL or even 10 ng/mL, which many institutions, including the U.S. National Institutes of Health and the Endocrine Society, would define as deficient.
The findings of this study were remarkable.

After adjustment for confounding factors, patients >65 years old (i.e., those at greatest risk) with 25D levels >30 ng/mL experienced a:

• 67 percent reduction in mortality
  • 78 percent reduction in acute respiratory distress syndrome (the primary cause of death from COVID-19)
  • 74 percent reduction in severe sepsis
Perhaps most impressively, across all patients with a body mass index (BMI) <30, 25D sufficiency was associated with an 82 percent reduction in mortality.

Reactions: WingchunCock
We went to San Antonio back in August (was supposed to be California). One of the things we did was Sea World and they required masks while in the park. You can bet your ass most people took them off once they got a distance from the gate. Wear a mask outside when it’s already 90 degrees at 10:00? Yeah, ok.
That's the way it's been at the ballpark lately too. I will say, they were nice during the winter. Didn't need to wrap my scarf around my face.

I don't think the rules were ever really in synch with science. For one, it takes 13+ minutes of exposure, generally to a symptomatic person. But it's fine for restaurants to seat 15 at a table. They make you wear the mask to your seat before allowing you to spread it??? No one gives a damn if you wear it out of the place. I took to wearing a buff instead so at least I could breathe since I didn't believe in the mask hype anyway. Even where people are required to wear one, you see them with the mask on or under their chin. C'mon man!

Anyway, I've had both my shots and I'm acting like a normal human again. I'll only wear one if not wearing it will get me kicked out of a place.

Last edited:
Just wear a mask. Some mask rules are silly and contradictory. Just wear it. It keeps other people healthy - the whole point of this thing. There are simple steps to reduce the spread. I have been so surprised how little inconveniences people in this country.

Just wear a mask. Some mask rules are silly and contradictory. Just wear it. It keeps other people healthy - the whole point of this thing. There are simple steps to reduce the spread. I have been so surprised how little inconveniences people in this country.
I'm vaccinated, so no thanks. Wear yours if you wish.

Last edited:
Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I remember watching the NCAA basketball tournament and there was this one team where they kept showing the coach's father in the stands. Older guy, maybe a former coach idk. What was noticeable was the number of times he'd put his hands to his face adjusting his mask as it kept sliding down... maybe three times in 30 seconds or so... every time they showed him, same thing. Gotta wonder how many times he touched his face that night. All I could think was man that cant be good, not in a public place.

ADVERTISEMENT