ADVERTISEMENT

Strom Thurmond Complex - Didnt see this coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a few others have stated, I think a review of Thurmond's contributions to USC should be done. He WAS a racist, and Yale University is named after Elihu Yale. An English-American SLAVE TRADER! Go figure, a bastion of liberalism like Yale, honoring a known slave trader!

Ole Strom had a half Black daughter you know? He supported her his entire life, even though she was 'spawned' out of wedlock! Perhaps he wasn't as racist as he appeared?

The cancel culture continues. No one in history is allowed to have made mistakes, of held views considered taboo today.

I'm not supporting Thurmond, or his past, I'm simply saying that today and yesterday can be very different. Thurmond did a hell of a lot for this state during his political career. Kamala Harris reportedly has an ancestor from Jamaica that owned over two hundred slaves? Is this true? I don't know, just heard this the other day. Should be fairly easy to verify. If so, he was a Black slave owner. Gosh, if you look in most anyone's closet, you'd likely find a skeleton or two!

As a few others have stated, I think a review of Thurmond's contributions to USC should be done. He WAS a racist, and Yale University is named after Elihu Yale. An English-American SLAVE TRADER! Go figure, a bastion of liberalism like Yale, honoring a known slave trader!

Ole Strom had a half Black daughter you know? He supported her his entire life, even though she was 'spawned' out of wedlock! Perhaps he wasn't as racist as he appeared?

The cancel culture continues. No one in history is allowed to have made mistakes, of held views considered taboo today.

I'm not supporting Thurmond, or his past, I'm simply saying that today and yesterday can be very different. Thurmond did a hell of a lot for this state during his political career. Kamala Harris reportedly has an ancestor from Jamaica that owned over two hundred slaves? Is this true? I don't know, just heard this the other day. Should be fairly easy to verify. If so, he was a Black slave owner. Gosh, if you look in most anyone's closet, you'd likely find a skeleton or two!

Biden eulogized strom just like he did at sheets Byrd’s.

Biden eulogized strom just like he did at sheets Byrd’s.

Biden and ole KKK Robert Byrd were huge buddies. Times change, and hopefully people do too. The cancel culture doesn't allow those aspects to be considered?

Yet Biden is seen as a non racist!

"You ain't Black if you don't vote for me"
"Poor kids can be just as smart as WHITE KIDS"

Two verified comments made by JB in 2019 and 2020.

Done gone political now!

Except he never acknowledged his daughter to the public. Many slave masters had kids with slaves too doesn't make them any less racist either. Also while he helped her financially it's not like he was some model father that was in her everyday life. Its sad that it took his death for her to feel comfortable enough to reveal herself. The problems with Strom Thurmond has everything to do with what he did himself, not something his ancestors did. He was a longtime senator but he never formerly renounced his past and was a hypocrite that didn't his own half black daughter. A few deeds down the road doesn't exactly make up for the legacy of how he escalated and extended segregationist and racist views within this state and nationwide. So I don't think it's shocking that people don't want him celebrated at the University.

Except he never acknowledged his daughter to the public. Many slave masters had kids with slaves too doesn't make them any less racist either. Also while he helped her financially it's not like he was some model father that was in her everyday life. Its sad that it took his death for her to feel comfortable enough to reveal herself. The problems with Strom Thurmond has everything to do with what he did himself, not something his ancestors did. He was a longtime senator but he never formerly renounced his past and was a hypocrite that didn't his own half black daughter. A few deeds down the road doesn't exactly make up for the legacy of how he escalated and extended segregationist and racist views within this state and nationwide. So I don't think it's shocking that people don't want him celebrated at the University.

I clearly stated that I wasn't supporting the man. He just lived in a very different time. Not defending him, but today and 1948 are VERY different. Take his name off, I'm not losing any sleep over it. They removed Calhoun's statue from downtown Charleston over a month ago. Crime disappeared, literacy rates way up, HS dropouts nonexistent now, etc. Nothing has improved that MATTERS!

See the point, removing names, statues, and other things are low hanging fruit, "look what we did" crap. Nothing down here has changed in the least. Three Black teens have been charged with, and arrested for, the murder of the 63 year old husband of CofC's new provost just blocks from the pedestal where Calhoun's statue sat for decades. Went out for a morning walk and were robbed and shot. There have been multiple shooting deaths or injuries downtown recently. I believe all Black on Black. Why don't we tackle that shit first, then worry about names and statues? Just a thought....

Folks need to get a grip. Before too long, we will have to take any names off any building, stadium, highway, bridge, etc., because everyone has done something to offend someone. Just think of all the signage change to be done if we bring JFK's & MLK's womanizing ways. Am sure that offends some folks. So if anyone is the least bit offended by any action they are subject to be canceled. Somebody needs to put their big boy pants on and tell these folks to go sit down.

I clearly stated that I wasn't supporting the man. He just lived in a very different time. Not defending him, but today and 1948 are VERY different. Take his name off, I'm not losing any sleep over it. They removed Calhoun's statue from downtown Charleston over a month ago. Crime disappeared, literacy rates way up, HS dropouts nonexistent now, etc. Nothing has improved that MATTERS!

See the point, removing names, statues, and other things are low hanging fruit, "look what we did" crap. Nothing down here has changed in the least. Three Black teens have been charged with, and arrested for, the murder of the 63 year old husband of CofC's new provost just blocks from the pedestal where Calhoun's statue sat for decades. Went out for a morning walk and were robbed and shot. There have been multiple shooting deaths or injuries downtown recently. I believe all Black on Black. Why don't we tackle that shit first, then worry about names and statues? Just a thought....
I never said you supported him, I just was pointing out some of the flaws in your logic of giving him a free pass. I'm of the belief that you can chew gym and walk at the same time. Some people are passionate about their school not glorifying a man whose legacy is highlighted by his openly racist views. Crime is another issue that people are upset about too, and if you have a problem with it, you can go protest or do something about that too. Just because some people want to change something here it doesn't mean they can't do it because there's other problems in the world.

Didn’t strom recant his previous views? Thought i recall that.
This does bot matter to the cancel culture Goose! Nobody is apparently allowed to learn and grow as they mature anymore. If people can find something you said or did once in your history that they find offensive, no matter how long ago or what you said or did since then, or how well aligned that action/statement may have been with the broader sentiment and context of the times- you are shunned, fired from whatever job you may hold and considered a ruined person forever who is completely radioactive.

This does bot matter to the cancel culture Goose! Nobody is apparently allowed to learn and grow as they mature anymore. If people can find something you said or did once in your history that they find offensive, no matter how long ago or what you said or did since then, or how well aligned that action/statement may have been with the broader sentiment and context of the times- you are shunned, fired from whatever job you may hold and considered a ruined person forever who is completely radioactive.
This is not necessarily true. I’m already seeing lots of folks who are ready to anoint Biden as reborn and pure as the driven snow. As a young lady said in a post I was reading on FB this morning discussing Biden’s checkered racial past...”we ain’t worried bout no s*** he did 30 years ago!”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag....ustice-democratic-primary-2020-explained.html

I never said you supported him, I just was pointing out some of the flaws in your logic of giving him a free pass. I'm of the belief that you can chew gym and walk at the same time. Some people are passionate about their school not glorifying a man whose legacy is highlighted by his openly racist views. Crime is another issue that people are upset about too, and if you have a problem with it, you can go protest or do something about that too. Just because some people want to change something here it doesn't mean they can't do it because there's other problems in the world.

You COMPLETELY missed my point. Focusing on bullshit like names and statues is doing nothing but removing names and statues. Whooptydo! You did something! Now, in the grand scheme of things what REALLY changed to help the LIVING. Isn't my job to go down in the ghetto and fight crime. I value my Caucasian life my friend. However, some of these people calling for name changes and shit, they likely have the race and stature to help in those areas.

Changing building names and removing statues?? It's like walking by a forest fire to put out a small ember..

I would love to see murder, crime, poverty, illiteracy, gang membership, and other issues predominate in poor, often minority communities, improve. It would make America much better and safer. Really sad to see fellow Americans that live in South Chicago, The Bronx, parts of Atlanta, St. Louis, Baltimore, and other large cities be fearful of their lives on a daily basis. Most of those people are good folks. It's always the small % of thugs that cause the vast % of crime.

This has zero to do with history. It's about celebrating an individual.
Say what? How can you separate the two. Do you not see Strom Thurman as a historical figure? Like him or not , he most definitely is. Your statement really doesn’t make sense. Sorry to be so blunt.

You COMPLETELY missed my point. Focusing on bullshit like names and statues is doing nothing but removing names and statues. Whooptydo! You did something! Now, in the grand scheme of things what REALLY changed to help the LIVING. Isn't my job to go down in the ghetto and fight crime. I value my Caucasian life my friend. However, some of these people calling for name changes and shit, they likely have the race and stature to help in those areas.

Changing building names and removing statues?? It's like walking by a forest fire to put out a small ember..

I would love to see murder, crime, poverty, illiteracy, gang membership, and other issues predominate in poor, often minority communities, improve. It would make America much better and safer. Really sad to see fellow Americans that live in South Chicago, The Bronx, parts of Atlanta, St. Louis, Baltimore, and other large cities be fearful of their lives on a daily basis. Most of those people are good folks. It's always the small % of thugs that cause the vast % of crime.
You left out Detroit

Reactions: hobcawcreekcock
Say what? How can you separate the two. Do you not see Strom Thurman as a historical figure? Like him or not , he most definitely is. Your statement really doesn’t make sense. Sorry to be so blunt.

He and his actions are history. Naming one of the most-visited buildings on campus after him is a celebration and commemoration of the man.

Reactions: wentzel25

I didn't miss your point, I said there's room for both. If you're upset about something then do something about. Some people don't want this man immortalized and celebrated. It might not change anything for you but to others to be constantly reminded of someone who built his career in thinking that some people are 2nd class citizens is a win for them mentally. And while we change the name of the gym we canl still also improve all those things you listed pertaining to crime and poverty at the same time too.

Sadly Thurmond is remembered as a staunch segregationist and for his record breaking filibuster on the floor of the US Senate. He spoke non stop for over 24 hours in an effort to thwart the passage of the civil rights amendment.

In 1948 he walked out of the DNC formed his own segregationist party, the Dixiecrats, in opposition to Harry Truman's civil rights platform.

My late father was a delegate to that 1948 convention and I'm proud to say he did not walk out with Thurmond.

Personally, I can’t think of a better way to memorialize the complicated legacy of Strom Thurmond (and the history of southern racial relations during the 20th century in general) than rename it to the Essie Mae Washington-Williams Center. It will never happen but that would be my vote.

When I was a student at USC in the late 70's and early 80's, Strom Thurmond would make a point of coming down to the Coliseum during fall registration to mingle with the students. I shook his hand and chatted with him several times during those events. Sure, it was political, but nobody made him do it. I felt he had a genuine concern for the school. I never saw any other high profile politicians down there. Just food for thought.

When I was a student at USC in the late 70's and early 80's, Strom Thurmond would make a point of coming down to the Coliseum during fall registration to mingle with the students. I shook his hand and chatted with him several times during those events. Sure, it was political, but nobody made him do it. I felt he had a genuine concern for the school. I never saw any other high profile politicians down there. Just food for thought.
I remember shaking his hand while registering for class. It was the year Charles "Pug"Ravenel" challenged him for his senate seat.

I remember shaking his hand while registering for class. It was the year Charles "Pug"Ravenel" challenged him for his senate seat.
Ole Pug. I remember that campaign, in 1976 I think it was. Michael Bloomberg's best NY Wall Street bud, he failed to win office in three different state wide races, despite tons of out of state money. Eventually he was convicted of bank fraud in 1995. Spent a year in prison on that. He was a court decision away from probably being governor of SC in 1974.

Reactions: rhewredi

You assume his half black daughter was conceived under mutual
consent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT