ADVERTISEMENT

Strom Thurmond Complex - Didnt see this coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
So wouldn't that be another form of cancel culture, and wouldn't that make you the hunted?

No, it's called giving people a dose of their own medicine. Bullies don't understand until someone pushes back on them. Goodyear tried to cancel their conservative employees, and now they are seeing how it feels.

Bullies love to do this, especially to people on the right. They pander to the leftist because they know that will act like wild animals if they don't get their way. The right doesn't behave like lawless savages.

As a liberal I will say not all cancel culture is correct. Some is warranted, but some is a bridge too far. We cannot cancel things we disagree just because we disagree. Somethings are needed and you can't apply today's thinking to issues all issues of the past.

Reactions: paladin181
No, it's called giving people a dose of their own medicine. Bullies don't understand until someone pushes back on them. Goodyear tried to cancel their conservative employees, and now they are seeing how it feels.

Bullies love to do this, especially to people on the right. They pander to the leftist because they know that will act like wild animals if they don't get their way. The right doesn't behave like lawless savages.
If you're doing to them is what they are doing to you. You are doing the same. Cancel culture is is a left issue, its a country issue. We all need to get over the emotional reactions. We need to be able to disagree and respect.

Good for them. Looking forward to seeing this change effected. I think Alex English would be a fine replacement.

Everyone has certainly been oppressed by someone. We all deserve reparations! To make it really fair, and not slight anyone, let's give out free stuff to everybody!

Free stuff to everyone, until the money runs out!

If you're doing to them is what they are doing to you. You are doing the same.

Yes. Kinda like when Japan bombed us and we bombed them back. Sometimes that the only language a bully understands.

Cancel culture is is a left issue, its a country issue. We all need to get over the emotional reactions. We need to be able to disagree and respect.

Yes, it is primarily an issue of the left. They use it to cancel conservatives and republicans over anything. And they give a complete pass to their own. That's why Ralph Norman is still governor of Virginia, and why they believed that crazy bitch that accused Kavanaugh, who couldn't even prove she ever met him, and complete discount Tara Reade, even though she worked for Biden and there is plenty of circumstantial evidence to support here claim.

Don't believe me? Put on a Biden shirt and walk thorough a conservative area and then put on a Trump shirt and walk through a liberal area. Goodyear knew that and refused to allow both, because they knew one side wouldn't tolerate the other and would riot and protest like 2 years olds. The left is anything but tolerant.

Yes. Kinda like when Japan bombed us and we bombed them back. Sometimes that the only language a bully understands.

Yes, it is primarily an issue of the left. They use it to cancel conservatives and republicans over anything. And they give a complete pass to their own. That's why Ralph Norman is still governor of Virginia, and why they believed that crazy bitch that accused Kavanaugh, who couldn't even prove she ever met him, and complete discount Tara Reade, even though she worked for Biden and there is plenty of circumstantial evidence to support here claim.

Don't believe me? Put on a Biden shirt and walk thorough a conservative area and then put on a Trump shirt and walk through a liberal area. Goodyear knew that and refused to allow both, because they knew one side wouldn't tolerate the other and would riot and protest like 2 years olds. The left is anything but tolerant.
The rights way of cancelling what you don't agree with is mass shooting. Dylan Roof cancelled the life of 9 Americans. Again its not a left or right issue. Its an American problem. Some is warranted. Some is not.

The rights way of cancelling what you don't agree with is mass shooting. Dylan Roof cancelled the life of 9 Americans. Again its not a left or right issue. Its an American problem. Some is warranted. Some is not.

That's fing absurd. NOBODY on the right supported what he did. NOBODY.

The rights way of cancelling what you don't agree with is mass shootings. Dylan Roof cancelled the life of 9 Americans. Again its not a left or right issue. Its an American problem. Some is warranted. Some is not.

And let's not forgot, it was a Rachel Maddow loving leftist that decided to shoot up a softball field full of Republicans.

That's fing absurd. NOBODY on the right supported what he did. NOBODY.
I didn't say they did, but how do you think he identified as. Charlottesville... Did the driver not cancel the only life lost. What side if the isle was he on. The Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. Same situation. So let's all stop pointing fingers, admit all have issues, fix them and work together.

Say what? How can you separate the two. Do you not see Strom Thurman as a historical figure? Like him or not , he most definitely is. Your statement really doesn’t make sense. Sorry to be so blunt.
it makes perfect sense. there is a difference between celebrating/honoring bad historical figures vs learning about them in history books. in this case, we don't need to honor strom. keep him in the the state history texts and learn from his mistakes. keeping names and statues that celebrate segregationists sends the message that your school/state/city aligns with their values. i would hope that no school/state/city etc would want to align with (or celebrate) racist values anymore. those days should be over. Learning and understanding history is different than celebrating it.

it makes perfect sense. there is a difference between celebrating/honoring bad historical figures vs learning about them in history books. in this case, we don't need to honor strom. keep him in the the state history texts and learn from his mistakes. keeping names and statues that celebrate segregationists sends the message that your school/state/city aligns with their values. i would hope that no school/state/city etc would want to align with (or celebrate) racist values anymore. those days should be over. Learning and understanding history is different than celebrating it.

So why do we celebrate and honor George Washington and Thomas Jefferson?

I didn't say they did, but how do you think he identified as. Charlottesville... Did the driver not cancel the only life lost. What side if the isle was he on. The Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. Same situation. So let's all stop pointing fingers, admit all have issues, fix them and work together.

None of that is "cancel culture".

A perfect example is Robert Unanue of Goya Foods. Cancel culture came after him and his company just because he spoke at the White House and said he was appreciative of Trump's leadership. He didn't do anything controversial or offensive. He was polite. He was respectful. Complete professional and appropriate in every way. Just some nice words in a speech in the White House gardens.

But just having a different political view was enough for the left to try to destroy him.

Do you really believe what you posted?

Last edited:
Poor doesn't equal black. Wealth is almost a category owned solely by whites. I believe that was his point.

Lmao, more Blacks in this country are middle to upper middle class than ever in our history. If you think being Caucasian guarantees wealth and privilege, then you've bought in to the race baiting and class warfare narrative the MSM promotes on an hourly basis.

I've worked very hard since the day I turned 16 in 1973. Hoping to retire at 66 1/2 in 2023, after fifty years of working hard for myself and my family.

Has my race helped me? Perhaps, but it also hurt me, along with my age, when I was downsized from a MAJOR consumer packaged goods manufacturer at the age of 54 in 2011.

Found out the HARD way that a fairly successful white man in his mid fifties didn't place me in any government mandated quotas related to US Government hiring guidelines.

I went from making damn good money, a company car, benefits, and retirement, to NOTHING. I scrambled, including working at my church as a night sexton. You know, sweeping, mopping, cleaning bathrooms, and locking up the campus. Took unemployment for three months until I realized it was demeaning and paid $318 a week after taxes. That hardly would pay my electric bill!

Reinvented myself and have been a Hospice educator and facilitator for the last seven years. My race, to my knowledge, didn't help me one iota.

My .02 worth on privilege in this country.

/s

Instead of telling us we need to take Strom Thurmond's name down from the wellness center, why do they tell us how they will go back and fix problems in their own neighbor where they came from and we may consider putting their names on a building to honor them...

These people' know nothing about American history, never less Strom Thurmond's history of forgiveness and redemption...

Their history started the day they took their first breath on this earth and they still haven't learn anything in life of forgiveness and redemption...

When both forgiveness and redemption are working to heal the relationship, the journey to being able to accept someone's wrongdoing is greatly supported...

Reactions: ansoncock
The statue of Strom Thurmond in Edgefield, SC interestingly enough has a cockroach etched on his coat tails. There's an old saying that you shouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good story so here's what I heard about why the cockroach is there. In a preview of the statue Strom supposedly complained about the flatness of his crotch to the artist. The artist felt insulted and added the cockroach to get even. Strom showed some levity when he called it a palmetto bug rather than a roach.

Instead of telling us we need to take Strom Thurmond's name down from the wellness center, why do they tell us how they will go back and fix problems in their own neighbor where they came from and we may consider putting their names on a building to honor them...

These people' know nothing about American history, never less Strom Thurmond's history of forgiveness and redemption...

Their history started the day they took their first breath on this earth and they still haven't learn anything in life of forgiveness and redemption...

When both forgiveness and redemption are working to heal the relationship, the journey to being able to accept someone's wrongdoing is greatly supported...
When did he ever asked for forgiveness or apologized to the people he hurt. George Wallace is an example of a man who had a troubled history but who in later regretted his past and apologized to the black community. Thurmond never acknowledged his past, and it's hard to forgive someone if they act as it never happened. He had plenty of opportunities to at least extend that olive branch but never did.

People aren’t just one thing. They evolve and grow. Bad people can do good things and good people can do bad things , you’re judging Strom Thurman through a 2020 lens and not putting his actions into the context of the period. It’s narrow minded and incomplete. Storm Thurman radically changed his views on race as he aged. Why would we ignore this and not judge his accomplishments in totality. We are all aware he had a mixed race daughter that he cared for and supported. He clearly educated himself , accepted his racism and successfully dealt with it. It’s revisionist history not to acknowledge his growth and accomplishments, but if it makes you feel better about yourself to attack and point the finger of racism at him....if that’s what you feel you need to do to prove your not a racist...then have at it. It’s just virtue signaling.

Hilarious. Your president is the biggest bully of them all.

And the whole Goodyear thing is fake news.

What about Hollings? Does anybody doubt that he was racist until it became politically expedient not to be? Yet somehow he completely escapes scrutiny? There's all kinds of stuff names after him.

Hilarious. Your president is the biggest bully of them all.

And the whole Goodyear thing is fake news.
Really? You think it's fake news that there was a slide in a HR meeting that said "Zero Tolerance" and said BLM and LGBTQ pride are ok, but Blue Lives Matter, All lives matter, MAGA and "political messages" are fireable offenses? I dislike Trump for a lot of reasons, but he hit that one on the nose, and that Goodyear walked it back is not only not surprising, but proof that negative PR works. Now I believe that notion was good intentioned, to not offend marginalized groups, but it was grossly tone deaf and discriminatory to make it a policy.

There are bad, batsh!t, emotionally damaged ppl on both sides.

From reading your post, I presume you really believe what you wrote.
What about Hollings? Does anybody doubt that he was racist until it became politically expedient not to be? Yet somehow he completely escapes scrutiny? There's all kinds of stuff names after him.

Hollings put the confederate flag over the State House, causing decades of racial strife!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT