ADVERTISEMENT

Sue Bird, WNBA colleagues to stay on court for anthem at Olympics

@adcoop. So you think a city of 68 squares miles should be a state? Rhode island is currently the smallest state in area at 1214 square miles. That would give DC two senators and at least one congressman a better idea would be to give the area back to Va and Maryland where it was taken from . Of course, if you're ideas is to add more Democrats to Congress there is no better way

Already heard you and pointed you in a direction
No. I listened to the 46 minute interview. She lamented he childhood experiences, discussed not being paid enough (even though she signed a contract), she talked about beating boys. She said that not all people have the privilege of playing for the US team (would love an explanation on that). She comes across as self righteous and sanctimonious. Her emotions are not based in reality. She is a grifter and a hypocrite. Please prove me wrong. If you have any other sources, I’d be happy to give those a try as well.

@adcoop. So you think a city of 68 squares miles should be a state? Rhode island is currently the smallest state in area at 1214 square miles. That would give DC two senators and at least one congressman a better idea would be to give the area back to Va and Maryland where it was taken from . Of course, if you're ideas is to add more Democrats to Congress there is no better way
You are welcome to disagree. The issue is with people saying you hate America over issues where you disagree. That’s childish. ...and yes I think they should have the privileges of a state when the country is getting the benefit of the relationship. How would you like it if you were being taxed and people were making decisions for you without voting representation? I think you would probably say that is un-American.

Last edited:
Conservative and liberal alike have criticisms. As a conservative, I want to know what those criticisms are from the other side, especially when they kneel on the flag. Nobody has answered that! All I hear is some nebulous perspective of unfairness. Please! Someone tell me what they want. Im listening!
I remember us talking about those criticisms on a couple occasions. There really is nothing to discuss when you don’t accept them or see them as illegitimate.

I remember us talking about those criticisms on a couple occasions. There really is nothing to discuss when you don’t accept them or see them as illegitimate.
But the devils in the details man. Debating the details is necessary. I’m open to listening to what’s unfair, and I’m open to being convinced. Please tell me what’s unfair.

I remember us talking about those criticisms on a couple occasions. There really is nothing to discuss when you don’t accept them or see them as illegitimate. Conservatives and liberals both have criticisms. However, I rarely hear about liberals saying Conservatives hate America over their criticisms.

Right. Because conservatives fly the flag proudly as a symbol of unity, regardless of our imperfections. Instead, we hear liberal media describe the flag as a symbol of hate. You’re right though, the hate does seem very one sided.

But the devils in the details man. Debating the details is necessary. I’m open to listening to what’s unfair, and I’m open to being convinced. Please tell me what’s unfair.
You would have to talk to the people protesting individually. The issues one athlete has may not be the issue another has. You are asking for unfair soeculation. However, I would gather many of the issues of concern revolve around law enforcement and the criminal justice system. I find it hard to believe you can’t recognize this when people are surprised of a rare police conviction with a video showing a subject being practically choked out for over 8 minutes. You and I both have a pretty good idea what would have happened if there were no video. Chauvin walks, Floyd’s family is paid a sum of money, and the subject is just another low -life criminal that deserved it.

Right. Because conservatives fly the flag proudly as a symbol of unity, regardless of our imperfections. Instead, we hear liberal media describe the flag as a symbol of hate. You’re right though, the hate does seem very one sided.
Now you are just making up stuff. To me, the flag symbolizes the freedom to protest the flag if I want to. Otherwise, I may as well be in North Korea. As long no laws are violated, a person should have whatever opinion they want concerning America on a particular issue. America is not just one thing or one demographic. However, Conservatives tend to go on about culture like their culture is the one representation of America. I see America as an experiment of the best, and sometimes the worst, of all cultures. Sometimes bringing that all together can be difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
You would have to talk to the people protesting individually. The issues one athlete has may not be the issue another has. You are asking for unfair soeculation. However, I would gather many of the issues of concern revolve around law enforcement and the criminal justice system. I find it hard to believe you can’t recognize this when people are surprised of a rare police conviction with a video showing a subject being practically choked out for over 8 minutes. You and I both have a pretty good idea what would have happened if there were no video. Chauvin walks, Floyd’s family is paid a sum of money, and the subject is just another low -life criminal that deserved it.
But Chauvin didn’t walk. And conservatives absolutely expressed disdain for his actions. No credible person said he deserved to die. Thankful we have body cams now and we all saw it. What else?

Now you are just making up stuff. To me, the flag symbolizes the freedom to protest the flag if I want to. Otherwise, I may as well be in North Korea. As long no laws are violated, a person should have whatever opinion they want concerning America on a particular issue. America is not just one thing or one demographic. However, Conservatives tend to go on about culture like whatever their culture is the one representation of America. I see America as an experiment of the best, and sometimes the worst, of all cultures. Sometimes bringing that all together can be difficult.
Protest it! Yes! But what are you protesting??!! Define it.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Protest it! Yes! But what are you protesting??!! Define it.
I haven’t protested the flag so I am not sure who you are talking to. However, if I do, that is my business as long as I am not violating an of our laws. Like I said, you are barking up an unending degree of speculation if you are seeking American protest to be defined by one thing. However, I don’t think you are seeking definition. You just want to complain. I told you I gather it revolves around law enforcement and the criminal justice. You glossed right over that. So, discussion with you on that is pointless if you are just going to avoid the indicated issue that you asked for.

I haven’t protested the flag so I am not sure who you are talking to. However, if I do, that is my business as long as I am not violating an of our laws. Like I said, you are barking of an unending degree of speculation if you are seeking American protest to be defined by one thing. However, I don’t think you are seeking definition. You just want to complain. I told you I gather it revolves around law enforcement and the criminal justice. You glossed right over that. So, discussion with you on that is pointless if you are just going to avoid the indicated issue that you asked for.
I’m the one looking to complain? That’s funny. I’m not complaining about anything. They absolutely have that right, a right I personally fought for. I am listening!
Ok, so protest criminal justice. Which part? I hear they want to defund the police and release violent criminals. I hear all cops are bastards. Am I missing something?

But Chauvin didn’t walk. And conservatives absolutely expressed disdain for his actions. No credible person said he deserved to die. Thankful we have body cams now and we all saw it. What else?
It took a video of 8 minutes to prove an issue folks have been saying was out there that you refused to acknowledge. Nobody is impressed with your disdain for the obvious. Can you be objective on the issue when it is hard.

It took a video of 8 minutes to prove an issue folks have been saying was out there that you refused to acknowledge. Nobody is impressed with your disdain for the obvious. Can you be objective on the issue when it is hard.
I abhor police brutality. I don’t know what point you’re trying to make.

I’m the one looking to complain? That’s funny. I’m not complaining about anything. They absolutely have that right, a right I personally fought for. I am listening!
Ok, so protest criminal justice. Which part? I hear they want to defund the police and release violent criminals. I hear all cops are bastards. Am I missing something?
Two issues are obvious. Sentencing disparity by race for similarly situated crimes is one and has been one for decades. The other is law enforcement accountability. Conservatives seem to be against unions except when it comes to police unions. We allow unions to protect too many officers that don’t deserve it. Police Chiefs to Mayors to even prosecutors will tell you this. I guess my frustration is you seem to be asking for explanations that I see as obvious. As someone that has been a part of the legal community for going on 30 years, I may see things as obvious where you don’t.

Two issues are obvious. Sentencing disparity by race for similarly situated crimes is one and has been one for decades. The other is law enforcement accountability. Conservatives seem to be against unions except when it comes to police unions. We allow unions to protect too many officers that don’t deserve it. Police Chiefs to Mayors to even prosecutors will tell you this. I guess my frustration with you is you seem to be asking for explanations that I see as obvious. As someone that has been a part of the legal community for going on 30 years, I may see things as obvious where you don’t.
That might be fair. I’m in the education system. I am in the minority when it comes to gender and political affiliation, but yet I always hear about my field being a conservative patriarchy.
I wonder if confounding factors exist in sentencing disparity. I wonder why there is racial disparity in violent commissions of crimes. I wonder if some of the racial disparity in sentencing is a product of actually pleaing down from greater charges. I think there are more factors at play than systemic racism.
I am trying to have dialogue, but I get called racist or nazi or ignorant.

Yes many conservatives fly the flag proudly and I am thankful for that. I display two flags that were given for my grandfathers fighting in WWI &II.

What I resent the hell out of is certain conservatives who tell me that if I don’t love America in exactly the way they see fit, then I need to leave America. Murica love it or leave.

I prayed every Sunday for Donald Trump publicly in Church even though I opposed him with every fiber of my being. None of the liberal members of my congregation ever chastised me. The first Sunday I prayed for Biden, numerous members told me I shouldn’t being doing that. One even told me it was sinful and Unamerican.

Conservatives do not own the corner on patriotism

Last edited:
Yes many conservatives fly the flag proudly and I am thankful for that. I display two flags that were given for my grandfathers fighting in WWI &II.

What I resent the hell out of is certain conservatives who tell me that if I don’t love America in exactly the way they see fit, then I need to leave America. Murica love it or leave.

I prayed every Sunday for Donald Trump publicly in Church even though I opposed him with every fiber of my being. None of the liberal members of my congregation ever chastised me. The first Sunday I prayed for Biden, numerous members told me I shouldn’t being doing. One even told me it was sinful and Unamerican.

Conservatives do not the corner on patriotism
That’s good. And it’s good to hear you love our country. We can certainly stand on that common ground. I’m not going to get into why or why not you supported Trump or Biden. I have my pick, and I’m sure you know which. The media is the enemy of the people, and in my estimation it is dividing us. As long as we can agree on the constitution and freedom, we share 99% of our values.

That’s good. And it’s good to hear you love our country. We can certainly stand on that common ground. I’m not going to get into why or why not you supported Trump or Biden. I have my pick, and I’m sure you know which. The media is the enemy of the people, and in my estimation it is dividing us. As long as we can agree on the constitution and freedom, we share 99% of our values.
I will not ever say the media is the enemy of the people that is A communist propaganda I think originating with Stalin. What I will say is many news .org are more interested in shedding heat rather than light

I will not ever say the media is the enemy of the people that is A communist propaganda I think originating with Stalin. What I will say is many news .org are more interested in shedding heat rather than light
Information is the friend of the people. The colloquial definition of media, as it stands today in our country, is fueling the flames of hate. The problem is the stark disconnect between information and media.

You are welcome to disagree. The issue is with people saying you hate America over issues where you disagree. That’s childish. ...and yes I think they should have the privileges of a state when the country is getting the benefit of the relationship. How would you like it if you were being taxed and people were making decisions for you without voting representation? I think you would probably say that is un-American.
I do agree that we can have different views over issues. I would like to hear what benefit you believe DC brings too the table that would make them a state? If they deserve it, then why not NYC, Boston, Austin, LA or other large cities. Other than being the seat of government, there isn't much benefit. My idea of returning the land to the two states it came from would give them representation. I do agree they should have representation but they should not be a state. I would say the same about any large City regardless of the color of their political jersey

Now you are just making up stuff. To me, the flag symbolizes the freedom to protest the flag if I want to. Otherwise, I may as well be in North Korea. As long no laws are violated, a person should have whatever opinion they want concerning America on a particular issue. America is not just one thing or one demographic. However, Conservatives tend to go on about culture like their culture is the one representation of America. I see America as an experiment of the best, and sometimes the worst, of all cultures. Sometimes bringing that all together can be difficult.
So you're saying a person should be able to do or say what they want as long as its "legal", and everyone else should just be ok with it. That about right?

The flag "symbolizes" a hell of a lot more than that.

• Love
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I doubt that she had a "heart to heart" with the team since she allowed the USC WBB team to sit during the anthem throughout the year.

I think that with Sue Bird carrying the flag during the opening ceremonies and having her teammates just behind her to support her, maybe a little patriotism feeling crept in. I think it is different when you are representing your country against other countries than being at home and making their "statements". Besides, the tip off is immediately after. They would start off with a tech foul for delay of game.

I didn't agree with the WBB team not standing, and I don't agree with Olympic athletes not respecting the anthem.

What they do on their own time, I don't give a fat rat's a$$.
Yes Sir , so am I . Go Cocks

Reactions: Silverspur02

I prayed every Sunday for Donald Trump publicly in Church even though I opposed him with every fiber of my being. None of the liberal members of my congregation ever chastised me. The first Sunday I prayed for Biden, numerous members told me I shouldn’t being doing that. One even told me it was sinful and Unamerican.

Conservatives do not own the corner on patriotism
I pray every day for everyone, no matter their beliefs or political affiliation. We are called to do that.

What do you bet that Dawn Staley had a heart to heart talk the team and said this isn't the time nor place to walk off the court during National Anthem while wearing the USA uniform.

I standby my statement... Y'all are underestimating Dawn's influence on these players...

Reactions: winloseortie
Ali threw his gold medal in the river because of Vietnam and racism, Kareem refused to play for the Olympic team because of racism, the dodgers were vilified as communist and Unamerican for breaking the color barrier. Jackie Robinson was vilified the same way when he left baseball and spoke out on civil rights. Russell counseled African American athletes not to participate in the 68 Olympics

And it appears you didn’t know Dawn carried the flag
I fail to see in any events you name where the flag was dishonored.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
You know what? I can accept your take on it as being dishonorable. Although I disagree with that, I can see where you are coming from. My issue is with people wrapping themselves in the flag and saying you are hating on America every time you may say something critical. I think the District of Columbia should be a state. Is that hating on America? Slavery happened in the U.S. Is that hating on America. We complain about educational indoctrination. However, legislatures all over the country are trying to ban the teaching of critical race theory. That is attempted indoctrination in my opinion. If critical race theory was required curriculum, I could see the issue. However, you can’t teach it to those who may want it? What’s that?
Why should DC be a state by itself? Why not just annex it into one or the surrounding states?

No, we just said it's the rare exception, not the rule. And we are right. How many times have these case been proven not the fault of police? Remember the "Hands up, don't shoot" lie. Remember the unarmed Jacob Blake that turned out to have a knife lie. Only a tiny fraction of these cases are legit police brutality. And even in George Floyd's case, he didn't intentionally murder him. He applied a hold that was in the hand book as non-lethal that ended up killing Floyd. Manslaughter, but their was no way he was going to get real justice, just mob justice.

One problem is that the media lies and distorts the scale of the problem. Only around 20 unarmed black men are killed by police each year. Many in the public think that number is around 1,000 or even greater than 10,000. The media and the left make it sound like cops are out hunting law abiding black men, and that's just a lie. 90% of black men killed every year are killed by other black men. And 80% of the police interactions of black men and police happen because someone black called the police. But the left doesn't want to deal with real numbers and facts. Doesn't fit their agenda and promote racial unrest, something they love because they feel it is a political winner for them.

The other big issue is that people expect the police to be perfect, yet have NO desire to hold these violent criminal that attack and resist police accountable. There are a lot of things that need to be acknowledged, and until people are willing to look at all the issues on both sides, I'll still give the police the benefit of the doubt. It's something so rare, in a country of 1/3 of a billion people, that it doesn't even register on the list of causes of death for anybody, let alone deserving of the intense "end of the world" drama the media turns it into.

Reactions: kidrobinski
Why should DC be a state by itself? Why not just annex it into one or the surrounding states?

This. The only solution isn't to make it it's own state. But that's the one Dems prefer because it gives them an advantage.

The people in DC already has enough political power and influence. If they want more representation, they should get it by joining another state.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Already heard you and pointed you in a direction
Respect, care and honor. Noone should have to pay attention to people who only want what they can get and in return offer nothing. Why should we have to watch athletes who put tatoos all over their body, show no respect for people who fought wars for them to have the freedoms and ideas, and then in return you get no respect for themselves, their families and no respect for people in authority. These things go on in all parts of our society. Look and listen to how they conduct themselves, they way they speak with every word being a cuss word, the way they dress, the way they present themselves. Look at our government the love of power, the constant lies, love of money, the way they want to educate our young people. These are reasons why there is so much divisiness in our country today. We all should want the same respect and care for each other, but this is not what is happening.

Reactions: kidrobinski
I doubt it myself. It clearly says at the end its all but impossible for them to leave the court before the national anthem since tipoff is immediately afterwards.
They could simply leave the court during the anthem and return right after. What's so hard about that? They won't have the tip without them.

Dick Nixon wrapped himself in the flag and told me that all black athletes protesting had been corrupted by Godless communists trying to bring down America. You are singing the same song just a later verse
Maybe that’s what you heard from the Democratic plantation masters ( who always foster black anger to divide American society). I was an adult back then and I remember it well. The black anger resulted in burned and destroyed black neighborhoods across the nation. Same rioting and looting that resulted in stores closing in those areas. Who was hurt most: black American families. Back then Malcom X understood how white Democrats were intentionally destroying black America. Candace Owens and Thomas Sowell are saying the same thing today.

ADVERTISEMENT