ADVERTISEMENT

Suggestions for the A.D.

RaleighGC

Oct 22, 2008
I recommend we acquire the name(s) of those in the Clemson football operations department and offer life changing money to do the same job for USC. Dabo has no shame in admitting that he hired the Bama guy to kick start their recruiting efforts why shouldn't we do the same? I do not believe they pay players but I firmly believe they have personnel employed to analyze the NCAA rules/bylaws and then work within the loopholes. No shame there, we should be doing the exact same thing. If giving away housing, jobs, vacations etc can be done via the loophole then congrats to Clemson, Bama and others for cracking the code. IMO this practice is no different then working with your accountant to lower your tax bill.

In addition to the above, we need to be branding / advertising like crazy when our sports teams are playing on national television. Clemson created this little folksy ClemsonMoments commercial and the only sport they focus on several times is football. Don't get cute when creating ours, push football and academics. If you feel you are slighting the other sports then guess what, make more commercials and selectively advertise those. You want to increase Dawn's visibility then make a kick ass WBB commercial and be sure to show dawn coaching at the Olympics etc

Call your Alumni. Maybe this is happening I don't know but is it too much to ask of Clowney to give XT a call. Can Lattimore offer perspective to Zamir White. Again, do this all within the boundaries.

Lastly, start to spin the stats. We need to start believing we are awesome even though we have a ways to go. For example something like "in the last 5 years we have beaten every team that finished in this years top 10". Now this is not a true statement but find some stats to create synergy and buzz. Tie this back to suggestion #1 and have the football ops folks flood social media.

Good luck Mr Tanner, we are all counting on you.

I think you have hit on some key areas off the field where Clemson is really dominating. These are things that any school could be doing well. It's just that Clemson is really excelling at them right now. And the results are showing in both athletic and academic recruiting.

Reactions: Bazurke
I recommend we acquire the name(s) of those in the Clemson football operations department and offer life changing money to do the same job for USC. Dabo has no shame in admitting that he hired the Bama guy to kick start their recruiting efforts why shouldn't we do the same? I do not believe they pay players but I firmly believe they have personnel employed to analyze the NCAA rules/bylaws and then work within the loopholes. No shame there, we should be doing the exact same thing. If giving away housing, jobs, vacations etc can be done via the loophole then congrats to Clemson, Bama and others for cracking the code. IMO this practice is no different then working with your accountant to lower your tax bill.

In addition to the above, we need to be branding / advertising like crazy when our sports teams are playing on national television. Clemson created this little folksy ClemsonMoments commercial and the only sport they focus on several times is football. Don't get cute when creating ours, push football and academics. If you feel you are slighting the other sports then guess what, make more commercials and selectively advertise those. You want to increase Dawn's visibility then make a kick ass WBB commercial and be sure to show dawn coaching at the Olympics etc

Call your Alumni. Maybe this is happening I don't know but is it too much to ask of Clowney to give XT a call. Can Lattimore offer perspective to Zamir White. Again, do this all within the boundaries.

Lastly, start to spin the stats. We need to start believing we are awesome even though we have a ways to go. For example something like "in the last 5 years we have beaten every team that finished in this years top 10". Now this is not a true statement but find some stats to create synergy and buzz. Tie this back to suggestion #1 and have the football ops folks flood social media.

Great post! We can't let up on this or we'll remain mediocre at best! We can well afford what it takes to win and, also, we don't market our school overall nearly as well as they do with the new freshmen coming in, etc. On a smaller note but where it starts with children, who become fans at an early age, Clemson allows parents to bring in babies/small children & not charge the price of a ticket (let them sit on the lap & not use a seat). We charge full price for them - ridiculous! We need Cocky (or Cockys) walking through the parking lots on game day hanging with the children. There's SO much we can do to push the "family" thing but are too Hell-bent on the squeezing the almighty dollar out of our fans/boosters. It's up to Tanner & Pastides (the big sports' fan that he is) to get this ball rolling NOW (should've already started when they recognized when Spurrier was dropping the ball several years ago and, especially, since the Nov. disaster) and we, as boosters & fans need to not let up on pushing them (and our board members) to make sure it happens!

Well, it is hard to disagree with outright buying the damn thing. In this day and age with so many schools being let off the hook.....

Been trying to tell you guys that we need to get down and come up mean in the toughest competitive college football league in the country - the SEC PLUS Clem Tech as our in-state rival - doesn't get any tougher than that and NO not UF, either - not with a state that has 22 million people.

Years ago, Clemson had a venerable old Ag teacher who gave this wise advice to all his 'boys' - 'Fellas, there's two ways to get rich quick; steal it or marry it. The first one will put you in jail; the second one will keep you in bed!'

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
Clemson has dominated the P.R. game for as long as I can remember. You'd think that a school with a business school of our calibre would have produced some people who could market us better.

A good example is a tidbit Clemson threw around about how they had the nation's longest win streak against unranked teams. It's a silly statistic that most fans wouldn't be aware of or care about. We liked to make fun of it on the boards. But Clemson ran with it and pretty soon it got mentioned on every broadcast as if it was the equivalent of winning a conference championship. They are really good at spinning, and now they don't have to spin anymore because they are the national champs.

Meanwhile, our twitter account is "honored" to have the orange rag flying above the dome.

A lot of this is already in place. The biggest difference is they have Dabo and we have ?

Perfect question and I did write a letter addressing exactly what you are outlining in this post to include:
(1) Social Media (2) Branding (3) Recruiting Components outlining Clemson has a system in place to find jobs and housing for mom's , dad's brothers and sisters (4) The Church - that is touchy but New Springs built a 3 Million $ church over in Clemson and guess what, money cannot be traced coming through church! Didn't Riggins (?) decommit from UT and hurry over to tater town? (5) Pay to Play - thats right, some attorney has found a way to circumvent the NCAA to pay players as they finish their education??? don't you think some of this trickles down during the season? Lets face it. That tiny school in a tiny place, with tiny fans with a walk on coach after 8 years wins the NC! They are very smart, shrewd, underhanded bunch over there whom is laughing their arses off at the flagship university in our state. Everybody write somebody something. Power is in the written word!

Lol, we are the bball program that sits a guy 6 games for cheatin on a test

Clemson has dominated the P.R. game for as long as I can remember. You'd think that a school with a business school of our calibre would have produced some people who could market us better.

A good example is a tidbit Clemson threw around about how they had the nation's longest win streak against unranked teams. It's a silly statistic that most fans wouldn't be aware of or care about. We liked to make fun of it on the boards. But Clemson ran with it and pretty soon it got mentioned on every broadcast as if it was the equivalent of winning a conference championship. They are really good at spinning, and now they don't have to spin anymore because they are the national champs.

Meanwhile, our twitter account is "honored" to have the orange rag flying above the dome.

This ^^^^

And they also have a constant 24/7 propoganda ad going on at CCCP promoting all things Clempson and degrading all things SC. I implore some of you that have never heard that station to listen sometime on a random day when they aren't discussing their team and just listen to the constant venom they spew about SC. It's vile and never ending. From Squakenbush talking about how trashy the city of Columbia is to Walt the Dipstick encouraging violence against SC fans before he knew that a Tater had broken the rock.

Not to mention that when Roy Pisspot isn't blasting the Gamecocks on his show, he's calling our games as an announcer on ESPN.

And who could forget that Dan Rad and Bobby Johnson are on the playoff selection committee? That has to be considered the most unjust and unfair thing going on in college sports. No sitting AD should ever be allowed to be on that committee unless EVERY SINGLE AD has a say so on who gets in.

Perfect question and I did write a letter addressing exactly what you are outlining in this post to include:
(1) Social Media (2) Branding (3) Recruiting Components outlining Clemson has a system in place to find jobs and housing for mom's , dad's brothers and sisters (4) The Church - that is touchy but New Springs built a 3 Million $ church over in Clemson and guess what, money cannot be traced coming through church! Didn't Riggins (?) decommit from UT and hurry over to tater town? (5) Pay to Play - thats right, some attorney has found a way to circumvent the NCAA to pay players as they finish their education??? don't you think some of this trickles down during the season? Lets face it. That tiny school in a tiny place, with tiny fans with a walk on coach after 8 years wins the NC! They are very smart, shrewd, underhanded bunch over there whom is laughing their arses off at the flagship university in our state. Everybody write somebody something. Power is in the written word!

This, also ^^^^^^^
10000x's correct !

The Admin at CU has a very different mind set than USC's does. It will be VERY difficult for us to do what they have done. It comes down to desire and attitude. USC's Admin. talks the talk, but CU's walks the walk.

This ^^^^

And they also have a constant 24/7 propoganda ad going on at CCCP promoting all things Clempson and degrading all things SC. I implore some of you that have never heard that station to listen sometime on a random day when they aren't discussing their team and just listen to the constant venom they spew about SC. It's vile and never ending. From Squakenbush talking about how trashy the city of Columbia is to Walt the Dipstick encouraging violence against SC fans before he knew that a Tater had broken the rock.

Not to mention that when Roy Pisspot isn't blasting the Gamecocks on his show, he's calling our games as an announcer on ESPN.

And who could forget that Dan Rad and Bobby Johnson are on the playoff selection committee? That has to be considered the most unjust and unfair thing going on in college sports. No sitting AD should ever be allowed to be on that committee unless EVERY SINGLE AD has a say so on who gets in.

No problem with some ADs being on the committee. Which year did DRad unfairly get Clemson in the playoff? This year, last year or both? Why didn't Arkansas get in the playoff? Their AD was chairman of the committee the first two years. Surely that's enough to warrant an automatic bid in this corrupt system you speak of.

Reactions: V1RUS
Lol, we are the bball program that sits a guy 6 games for cheatin on a test
So true - we're so busy "being nice" and self-imposing penalties for WHATEVER and we're getting dumped on! It's up to US to fix it - not be complaining. We really need to not let our officials drop the ball - they've been exposed now (I give us as much credit as Clemson for this title WE'RE gonna have to struggle through) for what we HAVEN'T been doing since it was recognized what was up with Spurrier - which was several years ago!

The Admin at CU has a very different mind set than USC's does. It will be VERY difficult for us to do what they have done. It comes down to desire and attitude. USC's Admin. talks the talk, but CU's walks the walk.

Heck we can't even pick our announcers??? Why isn't mike Morgan still here?? Let me guess it was easier for us to let someone else decide who calls our games

Reactions: Gamecocksrock2001
No problem with some ADs being on the committee. Which year did DRad unfairly get Clemson in the playoff? This year, last year or both? Why didn't Arkansas get in the playoff? Their AD was chairman of the committee the first two years. Surely that's enough to warrant an automatic bid in this corrupt system you speak of.

The problem arises when you have 2 teams on equal footing.

Suppose that Clemson and Georgia had similar records and played similar games. Are you going to actually going to try to convince me that they would give Georgia the nod over Clemp? And don't give me that noise about "leaving the room". Anyone with a brain larger than an acorn knows with certainty that there just being a part of that committee will always influence it.

BTW, Arky didn't get in because they weren't anywhere close to the top and clearly wasn't good enough to be in. Nice try though.

The problem arises when you have 2 teams on equal footing.

Suppose that Clemson and Georgia had similar records and played similar games. Are you going to actually going to try to convince me that they would give Georgia the nod over Clemp? And don't give me that noise about "leaving the room". Anyone with a brain larger than an acorn knows with certainty that there just being a part of that committee will always influence it.

BTW, Arky didn't get in because they weren't anywhere close to the top and clearly wasn't good enough to be in. Nice try though.

Of the 12 selections made during the first three years of the CFP, which do you believe provide examples as "the most unjust and unfair thing going on in college sports"?

I have always believed and always will believe that a program in good standing with the ncaa and jumps thru all theyre hoops can win theyre division and conference and still not even have the opprotunity to compete for a national title even though they work as hard and occomplish as much in the form of conference champs.

I have always believed and always will believe that a program in good standing with the ncaa and jumps thru all theyre hoops can win theyre division and conference and still not even have the opprotunity to compete for a national title even though they work as hard and occomplish as much in the form of conference champs.

I read this three times and I still don't know what you are trying to say. It's not the poor spelling or the use of "theyre" instead of their. I think you must have left out a few words and forgot to complete your point.

I think all teams should have a equal chance at the start of the start of the season,under the current system they dont.Theres several ways to remedy this, one way would be to have a seperate title for non power schools and in the power 5, give no.1 a bye to title game and let the other 4 conference champs play theyre way in.I know thats not perfect but there should be a way the conference champs should at least have a chance.

Example being, Iowa and Penn State won the last 2 big 10 titles.did they have a chance to play for National Championship? What if Navy,South Florida or many others like Westen Michigan go undeated? Do they have any chance at all?

We should be throwing all resources into this effective immediately! And that includes the fans too. We have to be fully invested in spreading the memo on why USC has more to offer than any other university in this nation. We need to refocus our energy on making USC great rather than worrying about what Clemson or anyone else does.

Who cares about Clemson? We are USC. Be proud of who we are and make sure everyone knows it!

I saw several posts from folks who've said they've stopped wearing Gamecock apparel or waving their flags. Those folks are wasting our time. No one else is going to believe in our program if our own fans don't believe!

We need to hire a PR firm.
I don't have a problem with hiring a PR firm, but honestly, when we were winning, ESPN was practically our own PR firm. Nothing, NOTHING, does as much for your progam's PR as winning. During the height of Spurrier's run here, we got plenty of good press and quality air time. Heck, we even had our former coach on the ESPN studio analyst team giving us shout-outs left and right. It wasn't a matter of lack of publicity. We just failed to take advantage of the PR.

Of the 12 selections made during the first three years of the CFP, which do you believe provide examples as "the most unjust and unfair thing going on in college sports"?

You just keep talking in circles. The potential path for problems is very clear when you look at it objectively. However, if the course of action serves you well then you never will.

You just keep talking in circles. The potential path for problems is very clear when you look at it objectively. However, if the course of action serves you well then you never will.

But which decision thus far do you take issue with? Not looking for imaginary problems in the future. Surely you have one since you called it "the most unjust and unfair thing going on in college sports."

I would save that quote for highlighting the NCAA's lack of action thus far in the 18 year UNCheat academic cheating scandal, not for the CFP committee having some ADs on it.

The problem is that there should be more than 4 teams in the playoffs. We need 16 teams - the winner of each conference and then 6 at-large teams.

Reactions: cocky lady
If that was ST's issue, then he got off lucky.
I certainly don't condone cheating on a test, but honestly - 6 games (including Clemson when we needed that one for the fans after the Nov. humiliation)! Not wanting to copy Clemson - EVER - although they just won the N.C., but cheating on a test isn't worse than grabbing a crotch on national TV who got absolutely NO punishment - all he had to do was say "I'm sorry" and Dabo was fine with it! All forgotten, over with, etc. - moved on to the title with no hiccup - and S.T. would've learned the same lesson sitting out a game of two. The fans got punished for that one imo!

Reactions: RaginRooster
The problem is that there should be more than 4 teams in the playoffs. We need 16 teams - the winner of each conference and then 6 at-large teams.
So true. This present system is no better than the "selection" of the National Champ at the end of the year. It's STILL "selection" about who makes the final 4 and it's totally ruined the bowl system imo!

I'd like paths & tailgating areas around river highlighting a already great ballpark! While we're at it Ray, how bout an bridge over Bluff, a lot of families would love that including football players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT