ADVERTISEMENT

Super Regional Host Bidding

atl-cock

May 3, 2006
Atlanta (Beaufort native)
NCAA policy is that should a national seed lose in it's hosted regional, the NCAA reviews bids of the regional winners (assuming both schools submitted a bid) and awards the host site to the school who submitted the "best" bid.

Does anybody know whether or not USC has submitted such a "just in case" bid? I would be genuinely shocked if we didn't but would like confirmation from someone in the know.

NCAA policy is that should a national seed lose in it's hosted regional, the NCAA reviews bids of the regional winners (assuming both schools submitted a bid) and awards the host site to the school who submitted the "best" bid.

Does anybody know whether or not USC has submitted such a "just in case" bid? I would be genuinely shocked if we didn't but would like confirmation from someone in the know.
We would both be shocked but not in the unretired "ole' sparky."

I believe we always do.

I think we have "backed into" hosting a SR twice.
There are those who have the erroneous idea that the winner of the National Seed's regional hosts, regardless of whoever wins it. Others erroneously think that if the NS loses their regional that the winner of the paired regional hosts (assuming that the winner has submitted a bid).

Just trying to get out in front of all that misinformation from the get-go.

This sort-of came up in 2010 when The College of Charleston and Coastal Carolina played in the finals of the Myrtle Beach Regional (recall that the Chants were a national seed). Coastal ended up beating CoC twice to advance to the SR.

There was chatter on FGF debating on where the SR would be played assuming CoC won (some said Chas since the Cougars defeated a national seed, other said Columbia since we won our regional. Both assertions, of course, were wrong. Had the Cougars won, the NCAA would have examined the bids submitted by USC & CoC - assuming that CoC did submit a bid - and picked the best bid in their opinion).

Of course, the most memorable moment of that SR was Christian Walker's HR in game 2.

Christian Walker 3-run Homer (Andy Demetra/Tommy Moody Call)

Last edited:
Reactions: 92Pony

I'm 99.99999999999999999% certain we submitted both in the initial phase. That has been our practice in the past. We know how to play the game, as it were.

I'm 99.99999999999999999% certain we submitted both in the initial phase. That has been our practice in the past. We know how to play the game, as it were.
We have the required facilities and can safely guarantee a $$$ at the gate. And I imagine we satisfied the NCAA with whatever COVID-19 protocols they require as well.

We have the required facilities and can safely guarantee a $$$ at the gate. And I imagine we satisfied the NCAA with whatever COVID-19 protocols they require as well.

Coming out of a Covid season that postponed last years tournament, I think it’s safe to say this was a huge selling point.

The Norfolk Tides of AAA baseball are out of town for the next two weeks, i.e., I would think that Harbor Park would be available for games.

Perhaps the rent from the City of Norfolk was too high, and ODU couldn't guarantee a sufficient gate.

Can anyone clarify what is in a bid like this? Does a bid essentially mean we guantee x dollars to the ncaa whether we actually sell tickets or not? I know USC will sell tickets but just trying to understand. I assume it also includes wording that’s we have A B and C facility items they require and it probably lists any covid protocols we intend to enforce and how we will?

The Norfolk Tides of AAA baseball are out of town for the next two weeks, i.e., I would think that Harbor Park would be available for games.

Perhaps the rent from the City of Norfolk was too high, and ODU couldn't guarantee a sufficient gate.
More often than not, in situations where a 1 seed travels to another location, it's because the 1 seed didn't submit a bid because they did not expect to be in the "winning" position they find themselves in at the end of the season.

Reactions: atl-cock
More often than not, in situations where a 1 seed travels to another location, it's because the 1 seed didn't submit a bid because they did not expect to be in the "winning" position they find themselves in at the end of the season.
Are you aware of any instances where the regional host was a 3 or 4 seed?

Can anyone clarify what is in a bid like this? Does a bid essentially mean we guarantee x dollars to the NCAA whether we actually sell tickets or not? I know USC will sell tickets but just trying to understand. I assume it also includes wording that’s we have A B and C facility items they require and it probably lists any COVID protocols we intend to enforce and how we will?
I'd like to know this myself as well. Someone in the USC Athletic Department undoubtedly knows this. Any ideas, batgirl?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT