ADVERTISEMENT

Swearinger claimed off waivers by AZ

He is a throwback and doesnt have a filter.Like someone said on another thread ,he would be a perfect fit in Pittsburg or Baltimore.I think maybe, hopefully Arizone will work out the 2nd time around.

He is a throwback and doesnt have a filter.Like someone said on another thread ,he would be a perfect fit in Pittsburg or Baltimore.I think maybe, hopefully Arizone will work out the 2nd time around.

Garnetskies, we used to sit in the East Upper, row 25 I believe, right at the 50 yard line. Anyway, at dusk one could look between the West Upper and the North End Zone and see a garnet sky that was so beautiful that time of evening.

Reactions: Garnetskies
Either that, or they're a little desperate for a game changing hard hitting pro-bowl safety with the playoffs coming up.
Um... cardinals are not going to the playoffs. They're trying to get #1 pick.

Yep.....this is definitely a move for next year. They had to be ecstatic that a top end safety came open this year.

Coach and GM likely to get walking papers on Monday. Let’s hope the new guys are cool with him yapping to the media when they’re 2-10 in December 2019.

Play fits Baltimore's style, the mouth would not fit Harbs but then again Martindale would probably listen to his players especially the high football IQ ones.

Coach and GM likely to get walking papers on Monday. Let’s hope the new guys are cool with him yapping to the media when they’re 2-10 in December 2019.
What is your personal beef with DJ? Are you Andre Ellington? Tajhy Boyd? For a Gamecock fan, you sure seem to be rooting hard for his failure. He's one of the best players we've ever had. As a Gamecock fan, I hope he keeps proving you wrong.

^ I have no beef. I’m a Skins fan that watched him play at a pro bowl caliber thru week 10 and has played pretty poorly (like others in the secondary) the past 6 weeks. Also saw him constantly yap to the media about the fans, play calling, and other whiney stuff while never pointing the finger at his own play.

I’ve also seen that he’s been released by 4 teams despite being an above avg safety. His act got old and despite constant warnings by Gruden, he couldn’t keep his mouth shut.

Try bad mouthing your boss and see how that works for you at your job.

Reactions: bdblack
^ I have no beef. I’m a Skins fan that watched him play at a pro bowl caliber thru week 10 and has played pretty poorly (like others in the secondary) the past 6 weeks. Also saw him constantly yap to the media about the fans, play calling, and other whiney stuff while never pointing the finger at his own play.

I’ve also seen that he’s been released by 4 teams despite being an above avg safety. His act got old and despite constant warnings by Gruden, he couldn’t keep his mouth shut.

Hmmm....Perhaps it was the DC's scheme. Safeties covering for bad CBs always suffer. He's way above average and you know it.

One of those 4 teams just (re)claimed him. So really, it's just three teams. When someone sticks a mic in his face and asks him a question, he doesn't lie. It's not like he said "Our DC is a moron." Sometimes bosses need to hear some hard truth. It's incredibly dysfunctional there and he wanted out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-season/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5e0d1b473bb9

Last edited:

Yep- Im a Gamecock and Skin also. DJ can be great & he can also get burned sometimes. I was somewhat suprised Gruden canned him rather than a suspension or something. But maybe he wasnt coming back anyway. But Christmas eve firing is pretty brutal- but you do a TV interview and say you watch more film than your D- coordinator, and know better than him how to run the defense~ bad things can happen. And DJ had been told to NOT mouth off about internal gripes to the media anymore, and what does he do?......

Swearinger can make some great plays as well as some bonehead plays, often in the same 10 second span. If I had been Spurrier, he would've been sent directly to the showers after the Arkansas (?) TD interception when he then threw the ball into the bleachers for a penalty. I believe that was his second penalty in 3 plays. D.J. would've gotten another early shower at Clemson, after that great hit on Ellington, followed by another mindless 15 yard penalty. Yes, he does have a high football IQ, but his intelligent mind, as well as his butt, should've been running the WB bleachers several times during his Gamecock career. A coach should give his players clear, reasonable and well thought out expectations, as well as the consequences for not meeting said expectations, then make sure the rules apply to all and are enforced with every infraction. Hopefully we're on board with that these days.

Swearinger can make some great plays as well as some bonehead plays, often in the same 10 second span. If I had been Spurrier, he would've been sent directly to the showers after the Arkansas (?) TD interception when he then threw the ball into the bleachers for a penalty. I believe that was his second penalty in 3 plays. D.J. would've gotten another early shower at Clemson, after that great hit on Ellington, followed by another mindless 15 yard penalty. Yes, he does have a high football IQ, but his intelligent mind, as well as his butt, should've been running the WB bleachers several times during his Gamecock career. A coach should give his players clear, reasonable and well thought out expectations, as well as the consequences for not meeting said expectations, then make sure the rules apply to all and are enforced with every infraction. Hopefully we're on board with that these days.

It was his third penalty in three plays. But the first was a horse collar tackle (can hardly blame a guy for that effort), the second was a bogus targeting (targeting was new and they did not have replay then), then the pick 6 and ball into the stands. And the hit on Ellington effectively ended clemson's desire to compete. It was over from that point. Nobody else wanted the ball.

BTW, no coach in his right mind benches a player after a pick 6. We don't know that there wasn't any discipline for that move. Swearinger is probably the most instinctive player I've ever seen at USC. He isn't the fastest or the most athletic, but he has a way of knowing where the ball will end up. That's probably because he watches the most tape and prepares the hardest. I believe him when he says he watches more film that the DC. That's how 3*'s become pro bowl caliber safeties.

Last edited:
It was his third penalty in three plays. But the first was a horse collar tackle (can hardly blame a guy for that effort), the second was a bogus targeting (targeting was new and they did not have replay then), then the pick 6 and ball into the stands. And the hit on Ellington effectively ended clemson's effectiveness for the rest of that game. It was over from that point. Nobody else wanted the ball.

BTW, no coach in his right mind benches a player after a pick 6. We don't know that there wasn't any discipline for that move. Swearinger is probably the most instinctive player I've ever seen at USC. He isn't the fastest or the most athletic, but he has a way of knowing where the ball will end up. That's probably because he watches the most tape and prepares the hardest. I believe him when he says he watches more film that the DC. That's how 3*'s become pro bowl caliber safeties.

Thanks for refreshing my memory on the 3 consecutive penalties. He does have a great motor and is a great ballhawk. However, a good coach understands that unacceptable behavior must be dealt with, regardless of the outcome of the game. I wouldn't have benched him for the pick 6 .... I wrote that I would have immediately sent him to the showers for showboating worthy of 15 yard penalties after the two plays. A lot of coaches have no problem doing the same thing I would've done. I can guarantee you that he was not allowed to showboat in high school. He wasn't removed from the game after either of the two plays I mentioned, so it stands to reason he had no worries of repercussions from the Spurrier staff. There is no question in my mind about D.J.'s football IQ, his love for the game, or his toughness. My point being that if he had been held accountable for his actions here, he may not be on his 5th team in 6 or 7 years in the NFL.

Thanks for refreshing my memory on the 3 consecutive penalties. He does have a great motor and is a great ballhawk. However, a good coach understands that unacceptable behavior must be dealt with, regardless of the outcome of the game. I wouldn't have benched him for the pick 6 .... I wrote that I would have immediately sent him to the showers for showboating worthy of 15 yard penalties after the two plays. A lot of coaches have no problem doing the same thing I would've done. I can guarantee you that he was not allowed to showboat in high school. He wasn't removed from the game after either of the two plays I mentioned, so it stands to reason he had no worries of repercussions from the Spurrier staff. There is no question in my mind about D.J.'s football IQ, his love for the game, or his toughness. My point being that if he had been held accountable for his actions here, he may not be on his 5th team in 6 or 7 years in the NFL.

So you would have sent him to the showers after a pick-6 and a penalty. That would be great for the team's morale. A good coach at the college level can't afford to lose games. We know that DJ was a big reason those two games were won. I wish we had several just like him now. Right now we have some with the mouth and not much else.

I'm a 'Skins fan from way back. DJ overstepped his bounds. He is fairly smart on the field (certainly not the smartest - see penalties mentioned) but never can keep his mouth shut. The evidence of many years speaks. Maybe he learns and becomes usable for his new team.

He’s gonna have a much easier time having Patrick Peterson on the outside instead of a Declining Josh Norman and a practice squad guy on the other side .

Reactions: TheReelEss
It was his third penalty in three plays. But the first was a horse collar tackle (can hardly blame a guy for that effort), the second was a bogus targeting (targeting was new and they did not have replay then), then the pick 6 and ball into the stands. And the hit on Ellington effectively ended clemson's desire to compete. It was over from that point. Nobody else wanted the ball.

Exactly!

Reactions: TheReelEss
So you would have sent him to the showers after a pick-6 and a penalty. That would be great for the team's morale. A good coach at the college level can't afford to lose games. We know that DJ was a big reason those two games were won. I wish we had several just like him now. Right now we have some with the mouth and not much else.
A good coach also know that when you have a good/great player as well as a team leader, you take the good with the bad. And in DJ's case, the good far outweighed the bad. Regarding the two instances being referenced, no one on those opposing teams wanted any part of DJ after them.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT