ADVERTISEMENT

Swearinger

He needs to tone it down a notch. Thugary is now frowned upon, and will get you cut.

Reactions: IrmoRed
D.J. does some good things on the field, although I read somewhere that he was rated in the bottom 10% of NFL safeties last year. I believe that Swearinger's biggest problem is his style of play. Most coaches don't appreciate unnecessary, avoidable penalties after a good defensive play. I'm amazed that his previous mentors didn't tone down that mouth or filter out that "look at me" attitude. Not saying he isn't a team player, hard hitter, or vocal leader, but he does bring baggage in the form of reward and risk because of his impulsive and reckless behavior on the field.

Being reported that he walked out of special teams meeting because he felt he shouldn't be playing special teams. Texans reached out to other teams who were not willing to trade for him, so he was released. He will get picked up by another team, but I am surprised if this is true. DJ seems like a player who would be willing to hit anyone, on any play, at any point of the game.

1075 the game said he got picked up by Tampa Bay not long after he was put on waivers by the Texans. I haven't seen any reports on this, so I'm not gonna believe it until I see it.

D.J. does some good things on the field, although I read somewhere that he was rated in the bottom 10% of NFL safeties last year. I believe that Swearinger's biggest problem is his style of play. Most coaches don't appreciate unnecessary, avoidable penalties after a good defensive play. I'm amazed that his previous mentors didn't tone down that mouth or filter out that "look at me" attitude. Not saying he isn't a team player, hard hitter, or vocal leader, but he does bring baggage in the form of reward and risk because of his impulsive and reckless behavior on the field.

Man I would pay anything to have ONE player on the current team with all that "baggage."

Remember one game here that he had 3 15 yard penalties on one drive that ended up with him in the end zone on a pick 6. Made up for the flags on that one!!

He'll be fine. Won't be unemployed long at all.

Someone may take a chance on him, but his numbers were awful. Per NFL.com

"Swearinger started 22 games over his first two seasons, struggling mightily. Pro Football Focus ranked him their No. 78 safety out of 87 eligible in 2014 and 71 out of 86 in 2013."

Putrid numbers, at best. He was solid against the run, however. DJ was the perfect person to play in Crommel's dime packages.

Not only numbers, but there are reports saying that he walked out of a team meeting, refusing to participate in Special Teams ( http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/5...hy-the-houston-texans-released-d-j-swearinger )

at a seminar at Notre Dame recently O'Brien elaborated

"The first time we did this in OTA's, and I'll never forget this, we had a special teams meeting and like four or five guys, and I still need to improve this THIS year, four or five guys, as soon as we broke the team meeting and we're going into the special teams meeting, four or five guys stand up and they walk out."

O'Brien continues: "So I go out in the hallway, and I said; 'where the BLEEP are you going?' [O'Brien then references an unknown player as responding with]: 'Well we don't do special teams, coach.' [Then O'Brien counters]: 'You don't do special teams?!! You better go back in there, because the way you're going to make the team is through special teams.' One guy looks at me and he said: 'make the team? I was a second round draft pick!' [O'Brien]: 'I don't care what draft pick you were, that was just where you were picked. Once the draft's over, now you gotta come in here and earn your keep every day; the more you can do.' So communicating the strategy of team in Houston is a big deal, and we're still working on that."

( http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/5...e-swearinger-as-entitled-player-during-coachs )

Hope DJ figures it out, he is solid talent that, with the right coaching, someone can shape into a great player. Hoping he goes to Tampa and redeems himself, Lovie is a solid defensive mind and has worked wonders in player development in the past.

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere else on FGF or not....It's an interesting read:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/5...ly-released-was-influence-on-clowney-the-main

"Using a throwaway for this since it could link back to who I am. I've known many of the football players while going to South Carolina and I can say right now that DJ was probably the least "Texans culture" player out of them all. I was honestly shocked when the Texans drafted him. I'm a huge DJ fan but I just did not see him sticking with the Texans. There's absolutely no chance the Texans would have taken him if they knew everything he was up to in college. DJ isn't just "swagg" on the field, he really carries that reckless persona with everything he does. I'm not one to critize but I can see how it would cause a lot of friction with the Texans organization once they really got to know him. Word from current USC players is that Clowney and DJ are still good friends hanging out everyday and living it up in Pearland now...I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason the Texans let him go was his influence on Clowney. Especially since there were rumors of Clowney and DJ playing pick-up at the Pearland rec center."

Reactions: IrmoRed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT