ADVERTISEMENT

Switching to Spectrum tomorrow am I doing the right thing?

Nice intro package.....then EXPENSIVE. You will be looking for another provider in a year or two.

You will threaten to leave if they don't reduce their new fees. They'll ignore you completely........"Sorry, that's the price of the package." Then once you have cancelled and signed with another, they'll call you back offering a discounted package. Terrible to deal with, terrible customer service.

I do not like green eggs and Spectrum. I do not like them when I write me checks. I do not like them for the many disconnects. I do not like their many fees. I do not like their marketing tease. And let me tell you just one more thing. Cut the cord and get a Sling.

Look into Sling...you use a firestick and stream it. You get a few basic channels for like $20 a month, but can add sports package for $5, which comes with ESPN U, SEC Network and SEC alternative, and ESPN3. Month to month with no contracts.

We had Charter in Beaufort until they sold the local franchise to Hargray. Charter customer service department which follows up on former customers called me a few months later asking for the reason why I dropped Charter.:confused:

Unlike Hargray, Charter at least carried the NBC, CBS, & ABC Charleston affilliates in their lineup; Hargray doesn't, which is why I went to the antenna, and actually get more Charleston TV stations that Charter had in their Beaufort lineup.

Reactions: rogue cock
Look into Sling...you use a firestick and stream it. You get a few basic channels for like $20 a month, but can add sports package for $5, which comes with ESPN U, SEC Network and SEC alternative, and ESPN3. Month to month with no contracts.
It all depends on what you want

Options
SlingTV - SECNetwork, various cable shows (ex-member, switched to Google TV)
Google TV - SECNetwork, various cable shows (I'm currently using)
TabloTV - over the air channels to stream throughout your house (ex-member, switched to Google TV)
Playstation Vue - Similiar to SlingTV
Plex - Internal tv show/movie collection if you know how to burn your dvds... and have the hardware available (I'm currently using)
Amazon Prime - TV Shows, Movies; could already have it if you are paying for your Amazon Prime delivery membership
Netflix - hope you know what this one is

Been with spectrum many years no problems. I do wish it was cheaper.

Reactions: SCspur1
I was with Charter (Spectrum) for a gazillion years and switched to AT&T. I quickly found out that AT&T sucks. I went back to Charter. And understand I am not a fan of Charter at all. I could spend all day giving you stories on how crappy Charter is. But, AT&T was worse! My most recent Charter-Spectrum experience has been pretty good though. I'm sure I will go back to hating their guts soon, but they are better than AT&T.

I have Spectrum - no problems thus far. Actually, tech talked me into not running two extra outlets and paying for two extra boxes. He just said stream the app on the two TVS I had in the kid’s room. I did and it save me about $200 in installation costs because he would have had to fish the new lines and saves me $15/month not having the extra boxes.

Now, I do have more channels than I would ever need, but I have no issues with Spectrum. Their internet is awesome - I do have the highest available speed though.

Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167
All cable companies suck but they have you by the balls if you love sports. I’m not interested in streaming crap. Too many issues too many times.

Currently with Directv. Had TWC. Done Dish before too.

I tried cutting the chord but by the time you go out and eat and make it a social event a few times you could just pay the cable bill.

As expensive as it is, I enjoy my TV more than most of the things I get billed for

Reactions: Dutch Cock
Nice intro package.....then EXPENSIVE. You will be looking for another provider in a year or two.

You will threaten to leave if they don't reduce their new fees. They'll ignore you completely........"Sorry, that's the price of the package." Then once you have cancelled and signed with another, they'll call you back offering a discounted package. Terrible to deal with, terrible customer service.

When it was TWC, I would just call back after the special ended and they would put me into a new one. Just had to remember to call back, otherwise they keep increasing the price, hoping you never notice.

All cable companies suck but they have you by the balls if you love sports. I’m not interested in streaming crap. Too many issues too many times.

Currently with Directv. Had TWC. Done Dish before too.

I tried cutting the chord but by the time you go out and eat and make it a social event a few times you could just pay the cable bill.

As expensive as it is, I enjoy my TV more than most of the things I get billed for
I agree, but the SEC network and ESPN had the cable companies by the balls. They had to take the channel, they had no choice. Charter was 1 of the last to take it. And I think this will hurt the acc network that is supposed to start up whenever. Talk about flooding the market with all the sports channels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
It all depends on what you want

Options
SlingTV - SECNetwork, various cable shows (ex-member, switched to Google TV)
Google TV - SECNetwork, various cable shows (I'm currently using)
TabloTV - over the air channels to stream throughout your house (ex-member, switched to Google TV)
Playstation Vue - Similiar to SlingTV
Plex - Internal tv show/movie collection if you know how to burn your dvds... and have the hardware available (I'm currently using)
Amazon Prime - TV Shows, Movies; could already have it if you are paying for your Amazon Prime delivery membership
Netflix - hope you know what this one is

What is Google TV? Is it the same as YouTube TV? I had Sling TV for 3 years, and just switched last month to YouTube TV.

Sling was glitchy at first but got progressively better. The only reason I switched to YouTube TV was it has a few more channels that I wanted but my monthly fee went from $25 to $35 per month. Plus, Sling charges for the cloud DVR feature where as it is included in YouTube YV at no extra cost.

Finally, I’ve been very pleased with the YouTube TV user interface so far. It is slick, modern and intuitive.

Dang that sounds no better than Comcast/Xfinity. Some people are cool with calling them up every year to sign up for a new package to save money, but I hate these systems that don't reward loyalty.

This is my second go-round with Charter/Spectrum. I got tired of losing DirecTV during rainstorms -- and drizzles/sprinkles. Internet is great; cable has been better this time around, although I don't like constant price increases. There are several alternatives out there, including free over the air if lots of TV sports isn't a must. I can get 46 to 53 channels (depending on atmospheric conditions) with an indoor antenna in suburban Greenville. Several duplicate channels, several of no interest to me and almost no sports outside of the ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox offerings. I know there aren't that many channels available in the North Charleston area. I'd like to cut the cord and get something like Sling, but my wife likes several programs on channels not offered on the alternatives to cable.

I have Spectrum and never have had a problem with them I do advise just get one box and either go to spectrum.net or download the app on your other tvs that's what we do now we have just the one box in the living room and I go to the spectrum.net website to stream any channel I want live it saves a bunch of money.

I currently have att,U-verse and am just fed up with them.
Just looking for feed back plzzz.
Got Uverse when it first came out and it was fantastic. Since they bought Direct TV it has gotten progressively worse. I understand that the cost to maintain and provide Uverse is 2x for them compared to Direct TV and they are hoping people switch to that.

I guess I am going to Spectrum a streaming stuff is not for me.

If I could trust sling tv to stream with excellence I would switch to them , direct tv customer service is terrible

If I could trust sling tv to stream with excellence I would switch to them , direct tv customer service is terrible

As long as you have decent internet, you can now trust Sling and the other Over The Top streaming providers for a very reliable service experience.

The future is now! Cut the cords and ditch the dishes.

Reactions: ddw1263
Had Time Warner service for over 20 years. When I started with them they were the only choice in cable service in my location. Had continuing problems with outages and poor connection.
Changed to ATT about two years ago and the service has been excellent. I pay the price but have no outages on internet service. Direct TV which comes with the package works fine except when there is exceptionally bad weather. Expensive though.

They suck, royally. Went from DirecTV to Spectrum last year (great introductory prices), but it was a massive step down. Frequent outages, 1987 interface (although I think they're about to update that, if they haven't already). Recently dropped Spectrum and added YouTube TV, which is great for us, especially wrt sports.

Also, when the changeover was occurring, they told current TWC customers that they could not get the lower rate packages that were being offered by Spectrum. That those were only for "new" customers. We dropped them and went to Direct TV because I got a great deal since I'm already an ATT wireless customer (and U-Verse is not offered in my neighborhood). When we called to cancel the service, all of a sudden we were offered the lower rates. When asked why a week earlier we were told we couldn't get the new rates, they stumbled over their answer.

As with anything, you do your two years with whatever provider and then change. There are good and bad stories with all of them.

What is Google TV? Is it the same as YouTube TV? I had Sling TV for 3 years, and just switched last month to YouTube TV.

Sling was glitchy at first but got progressively better. The only reason I switched to YouTube TV was it has a few more channels that I wanted but my monthly fee went from $25 to $35 per month. Plus, Sling charges for the cloud DVR feature where as it is included in YouTube YV at no extra cost.

Finally, I’ve been very pleased with the YouTube TV user interface so far. It is slick, modern and intuitive.
Yeah, YouTubeTV is what I meant.

I'm getting annoyed with all the google app name changes.

Family sharing is perfect. When my folks or inlaws come to babysit, its still easy to have them stream everything in my house. They are FINALLY getting away from the remote.

Too expensive. Firestick with Terrarium for Movies and Mobdro for live Channels. Its really all you need. Your cost? The Firestick purchase and whatever your Internet bill is.

I switch every year when introductory price expires, drives my wife crazy. Currently with Spectrum, DVR is a big step down from Directv

Also, when the changeover was occurring, they told current TWC customers that they could not get the lower rate packages that were being offered by Spectrum. That those were only for "new" customers. We dropped them and went to Direct TV because I got a great deal since I'm already an ATT wireless customer (and U-Verse is not offered in my neighborhood). When we called to cancel the service, all of a sudden we were offered the lower rates. When asked why a week earlier we were told we couldn't get the new rates, they stumbled over their answer.

As with anything, you do your two years with whatever provider and then change. There are good and bad stories with all of them.

Being an old TWC customer, I was recently (last week) told there weren't anymore discounts unless I switched to the Spectrum platform. Seems a bit confusing since it's all Spectrum now but it sounds like they are trying to force everyone to become a "new" Spectrum customer. Maybe it has something to do with inflating new customer numbers for stock purposes.

We had Uverse TV for several years, but service just got worse. Now we switched to DirectTV and kept UVerse for internet and phone. It has been great. The only thing I do not like are the outages that occur during a heavy rain storm. Maybe has happen 3 or 4 times over the last year.

Being an old TWC customer, I was recently (last week) told there weren't anymore discounts unless I switched to the Spectrum platform. Seems a bit confusing since it's all Spectrum now but it sounds like they are trying to force everyone to become a "new" Spectrum customer. Maybe it has something to do with inflating new customer numbers for stock purposes.
They started running ads about a month after we switched that the lower rates were available to TWC customers. They had a lot of people jump ship initially because of their original stance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT