ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner: Big Ten might not affect SEC "a whole lot"

Tanner better check with the university lawyers before commenting. If two or more Power 5 conferences cancel, it will be difficult from a liability standpoint for SEC to still move forward.

It makes more sense to play than not to. If they play, players will be tested regularly, treated for free, in somewhat of a bubble, continuing to pursue their career, along with all the other perks of being a power 5 athlete. It is safer (Covid wise) for them to play than to be sitting at home or just as a student.

For example, see Trevor Laurence’s comments about the safety against the Covid.

Or read Joe Burrows comments about if they would have elected not to play last year, that he probably would have gone undrafted. Instead he was the number 1 pick. Having that huge senior year was life changing for him.

As for the SEC, I say bring them in! Michigan, Texas, Nebraska, Iowa, and any others. The financial windfall and expanded exposure would be incredible. Could also help a lot with recruiting.

It makes more sense to play than not to. If they play, players will be tested regularly, treated for free, in somewhat of a bubble, continuing to pursue their career, along with all the other perks of being a power 5 athlete. It is safer (Covid wise) for them to play than to be sitting at home or just as a student.

Or read Joe Burrows comments about if they would have elected not to play last year, that he probably would have gone undrafted. Instead he was the number 1 pick. Having that huge senior year was life changing for him.

As for the SEC, I say bring them in! Michigan, Texas, Nebraska, Iowa, and any others. The financial windfall and expanded exposure would be incredible. Could also help a lot with recruiting.
Help with whose recruiting? You think USC will suddenly haul players out of the heart land because of some one off games? I am all for playing but let's stick to legitimate reasons.

Reactions: GarnetBlood80
Help with whose recruiting? You think USC will suddenly haul players out of the heart land because of some one off games? I am all for playing but let's stick to legitimate reasons.
Why is this thread being watched already. It has been as much or more about sports as most others on here. Guess the Mods just assume it will quickly go to the dark side now?

No, I think it will help with recruiting because players will want to play the game. Not go to a school or conference that throws in the towel.

Do I think it will be massive? Probably not. But, maybe enough of a consideration that a few may think more about the opportunity to play versus the possibility. Kids like certainty. An example is the number of players committing to schools without setting foot on the campus. Why? Because they want the certainty of having a spot.

Please explain how this is not a logical thought process.

No, I think it will help with recruiting because players will want to play the game. Not go to a school or conference that throws in the towel.

Do I think it will be massive? Probably not. But, maybe enough of a consideration that a few may think more about the opportunity to play versus the possibility. Kids like certainty. An example is the number of players committing to schools without setting foot on the campus. Why? Because they want the certainty of having a spot.

Please explain how this is not a logical thought process.
What certainty is there with the other 3 conferences? There's still a very realistic possibility that they won't play either, or that they may start to play but ending up having to shut down after an explosion of cases.

Not only that, but most of those conferences' schools are already at their scholarship limit. Are they going to yank some from a senior walk-on that's earned it after 3 years at this point in the year? Are the transferring players going to walk on and pay their own way?

I don't see any certainty there .

So will the CFP winner have an asterisk for 2020 if Big Ten and PAC 10 or 12 (?) opt out?

What certainty is there with the other 3 conferences? There's still a very realistic possibility that they won't play either, or that they may start to play but ending up having to shut down after an explosion of cases.

Not only that, but most of those conferences' schools are already at their scholarship limit. Are they going to yank some from a senior walk-on that's earned it after 3 years at this point in the year? Are the transferring players going to walk on and pay their own way?

May help us recruit a new head coach from the Big 10 or Pac 12!

Reactions: Dizzy01
May help us recruit a new head coach from the Big 10 or Pac 12!
Let’s hope not !
We just got a new OC with experience
Have QBs like Hillinski and Doty
Highly rated RB like Lloyd
Finally quality depth on OL
Guys like Burch and Pickens and kaba and Horn etc have been recruited by this staff
Merry go round with new coaches ain’t the answer.

Tanner better check with the university lawyers before commenting. If two or more Power 5 conferences cancel, it will be difficult from a liability standpoint for SEC to still move forward.

South Carolina has sovereign immunity. That is what they will say. On top of that, there will be no way to prove how the player caught the virus, it may have been in class, the food court or whereever.

I am not referring to transferring athletes. I am simply pointing out that future recruits will be watching the games that happen. They will be interested more in those schools because they are playing. Players want to play (for the most part). If a recruit narrows down to a BI0 school and SEC but the SEC had a season. Who would you choose?

My logic says the one that played. That’s the certainty I am referring to. Yes, there are all kinds of scenarios yet to unfold. But for today, would a recruit that has narrowed his choice down to us and say Penn St.. We play and they don’t. What school would you go to?

I am not referring to transferring athletes. I am simply pointing out that future recruits will be watching the games that happen. They will be interested more in those schools because they are playing. Players want to play (for the most part). If a recruit narrows down to a BI0 school and SEC but the SEC had a season. Who would you choose?

My logic says the one that played. That’s the certainty I am referring to. Yes, there are all kinds of scenarios yet to unfold. But for today, would a recruit that has narrowed his choice down to us and say Penn St.. We play and they don’t. What school would you go to?
Maybe, maybe not. If and when there is a huge explosion of Covid cases on the teams/campuses/general areas that decide to play, there will probably be a sizeable amount of parents and players that will end up thinking the Big 10 and Pac 12 were right all along.

My guess is it'll be close to a wash and we won't see any major paradigm shift.

South Carolina has sovereign immunity. That is what they will say. On top of that, there will be no way to prove how the player caught the virus, it may have been in class, the food court or whereever.

Sounds like the B10 & PAC12 need to consult with some of these SC lawyers then, since the issue is that cut & dry. Or maybe those schools just decided they have enough money for now?

Sounds like the B10 & PAC12 need to consult with some of these SC lawyers then, since the issue is that cut & dry. Or maybe those schools just decided they have enough money for now?

The Pac-10 has to deal with crazy California courts, so I can see their reluctance. However, neither the Big Ten nor Pac-10 cited liability concerns for their reasons not to play. It was all concerns for the players about social distancing. Also Stanford, who as a private school doesn't have sovereign immunity, has a lot more influence in the Pac-10 than any private school does in the SEC or Big12

Depends on where they would rather play. This would be for playing in 2021 and who knows how things will be by then.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT