ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Can't Fire Anyone

GarnetSkiesForever

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Aug 17, 2018
If Adolf Hitler was our Head Coach, Tanner would be having a hard time letting him go!

Pathetic... time to fire Frank!

He fired Chad Holbrook
He will fire Frank if we don't make tourney (book it)
He will fire Muschamp with less than 8 wins (book it)

Who did Hyman fire? He kept extending Odom before he 'retired'.
He extended Horn before the Board made him fire him.

He fired Chad Holbrook

Actually, he didn't. He allowed him to "resign," with a nice little buyout package.

He fired Chad Holbrook

Tanner understands that you can't fire a coach for 1 really bad year if all other areas of the program are doing well (recruiting, no scandals or player revolts).
Overall, I think Tanner has been fair and level-headed - to me, the only bad thing he did was give Muschamp the extension/buyout too early. I don't think USC is in a position (especially in football) where it can replace football coaches every four years.
- Tanner fired volleyball coach and hired a new guy who has taken them to NCAAs in each of 1st 2 seasons after not making NCAAs in more than a decade.
- Holbrook was the right hire at the time of his hiring. After he didn't make postseason the first time, the team made Super Regionals the next year, but when team missed postseason the year after that Holbrook was let go at the appropriate time. (By all accounts from baseball writers etc, Kingston was a smart hire, but you never know if it will work out. He needs more time though.)
- Muschamp - not a great hire, but not the worst football hire we've ever made (besides, look at the "hot" coaches that were hired that year: Tom Herman is not exactly lighting it up at Texas considering the money they have there (and he was never coming here), Fuente has not done anything great at Va. Tech, and Smart would have been here had UGA not fired Richt). 1st 3 years with Muschamp were not bad (3 bowls including 9 win season after inheriting 3-9 team). This year was obviously horrendous, but through it all Muschamp still picked up a better than expected recruiting class this year. That's a good sign. I agree, if team does not have a decent year next year, Muschamp is probably gone.
- Tanner didn't hire Dawn or Frank, but he kept Staley from interviewing at Ohio State a few years back. That worked out well! Frank's team has been a mystery this year. Coach and players share responsibility IMO (Lawson has to play better!). Team is consistently mediocre minus the Final 4 year and one other year in which they should have made the tournament. If team has losing year this year, then it's definite hot seat, but not sure if he's gone.

Overall, the rest of Athletics program is in great shape financially (i've read something that said USC is one of 20 athletic departments in the country that operates in the black) and with the continued investment in facilities in my opinion.

Go Gamecocks!

He fired Chad Holbrook

Less than 8 wins gets Muschamp fired? Believe it when I see it. Also Frank isn't going anywhere either. Has too big of a buyout.

Tanner understands that you can't fire a coach for 1 really bad year if all other areas of the program are doing well (recruiting, no scandals or player revolts).
Overall, I think Tanner has been fair and level-headed - to me, the only bad thing he did was give Muschamp the extension/buyout too early. I don't think USC is in a position (especially in football) where it can replace football coaches every four years.
- Tanner fired volleyball coach and hired a new guy who has taken them to NCAAs in each of 1st 2 seasons after not making NCAAs in more than a decade.
- Holbrook was the right hire at the time of his hiring. After he didn't make postseason the first time, the team made Super Regionals the next year, but when team missed postseason the year after that Holbrook was let go at the appropriate time. (By all accounts from baseball writers etc, Kingston was a smart hire, but you never know if it will work out. He needs more time though.)
- Muschamp - not a great hire, but not the worst football hire we've ever made (besides, look at the "hot" coaches that were hired that year: Tom Herman is not exactly lighting it up at Texas considering the money they have there (and he was never coming here), Fuente has not done anything great at Va. Tech, and Smart would have been here had UGA not fired Richt). 1st 3 years with Muschamp were not bad (3 bowls including 9 win season after inheriting 3-9 team). This year was obviously horrendous, but through it all Muschamp still picked up a better than expected recruiting class this year. That's a good sign. I agree, if team does not have a decent year next year, Muschamp is probably gone.
- Tanner didn't hire Dawn or Frank, but he kept Staley from interviewing at Ohio State a few years back. That worked out well! Frank's team has been a mystery this year. Coach and players share responsibility IMO (Lawson has to play better!). Team is consistently mediocre minus the Final 4 year and one other year in which they should have made the tournament. If team has losing year this year, then it's definite hot seat, but not sure if he's gone.

Overall, the rest of Athletics program is in great shape financially (i've read something that said USC is one of 20 athletic departments in the country that operates in the black) and with the continued investment in facilities in my opinion.

Go Gamecocks!
Football and MBB are biggest revenue generators. Both are very average and both coaches have unjustified buyouts courtesy of Ray.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT