Tanner has spoke

Discussion in 'Fighting Gamecocks Forum' started by ButtKickinChicken, Apr 18, 2017.

1. wallycock

wallycock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I love RT the coach, but, as an AD, he got taken to the wood shed, schooled, or whatever you want to call it over the FB coach search. I don't think he considered that GA would fire a coach who averaged 9-10 wins per year. Herman and Smart played him big time, and GA had the balls to can Richt in order to get the hottest young D coach in the business, who played at GA, was mentored by the greatest college coach of our generation, and was a key part of several national championship teams. He may say Muschamp was his target all along, but I think the GA AD taught him a lesson. If must champ was his guy all along, I think he would have made an effort to have Muschamp come in as defensive coordinator the year Spurrier added Hoke. I wonder how much further along our team might be had he come to SC instead of AU, and was then elevated to HC as Spurrier stepped down.

2. sgacock

sgacock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yes and no.

kinds depends on "falls short of expectations." That is a very loose standard. Some of our fans expect to win the CWS every year. Most of our fans expect us to compete for the SEC East crown every year. Not neccessarily win the East, but be competitive throughout the season.

The standard should be "falls short of REASONABLE expectations.

My expectations were that we would host a Regional. Looks like we probably won't do that. My fallback position is merely making the field of 64. If we do only that, I'll be less than satisfied, but grudging okay with another year for Holbrook.

If we fail to make the field of 64, I will be incensed and say that "not only did we fail to meet reasonable expectations, we failed to reach anything near our potential. Not just my opinion. We were a pre-season Top 5 pick. We reached a Super Regional last year and were supposedly returning a loaded cast. Five years ago, we were THE national powerhouse. Expecting to make the tourney is a reasonable expectation.

I will not be happy doing it but I will join the :Fire" crowd strongly if we fail to reach the tourney 2 out of 3 years. That is far below even reasonable expectations given where we were before Holbrook took over.

sclawman77 and rogue cock like this.
  3. bosoxcock

bosoxcock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Ok lets tighten it up for you...Even if SC doesn't make the tourney ( which they will )..Chad Holbrook will be the coach at SC next year. ..Ray Tanner isn't firing Chad Holbrook if he doesn't make the tourney this year...that you can take to the bank so any people calling for his firing are wasting their breath

4. rogue cock

rogue cock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That sounds a lot like "no expectations."

cockofdawn likes this.
  5. bosoxcock

Expand Collapse

Expectations or no expectations... whether I want it or the fans want it...like death and taxes are a sure thing.. Tanner isn't firing Holbrook this year

6. bosoxcock

Expand Collapse

Just think people were pissed off at Martin and said he couldn't get it done after losing 5-7 at end of season and 1st round of SEC....3 weeks later his team is in the final four

7. rogue cock

Expand Collapse

Martin and Holbrook inherited totally different circumstances. Yes, people were concerned that we were tailing off late again after a great 2/3rds of a season in basketball...and, as a result, were concerned about missing the tournament again. But at least Martin was exceeding the expectations for the team (even before the Final Four run). Holbrook has yet to meet expectation, much less exceed them...and you may be right in that regardless of whether we make the tournament or not, he stays. Personally, I don't believe he should considering the talent he has been able to assemble, but I don't make the call.

cockofdawn and sclawman77 like this.
  8. sclawman77

sclawman77 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Probably so but with two years left on Chad's contract after this season it would put Tanner in a tough spot if we missed tourney and he's retained. And selling it to the fans would be even tougher. You can expect attendance to drop even more. You can bet Tanner is praying that we make the tourney. Of course he's on the selection committee too.

9. bosoxcock

Expand Collapse

Whether anyone wants to hear or admit it...its baseball...it hardly generates the revenue football and men's basketball brings to the athletic department.

While its always good to be competitive and this team is competitive, you can bet in the big picture, evaluating the baseball coach isn't on the top of Tanner's mind

10. 92Pony

92Pony Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I fear baseball is following the football path; 3 years of unprecedented success, followed by suspect coaching, allowing for a downward trend. Some fans see it - some fans refuse to see it. When something finally takes place, it's too late - the successes are a distant memory, and the total rebuild is on. Recruiting is harder in total rebuild time, making return to success take that much longer. (Oh yeah, all the while, the upstate hillbillies leaving us in the dust.)

I like CCH, and have yet to say I want him fired. But something is amiss, and it needs to be corrected so our program can get out of whatever this funk is. I hope Chad can turn it around, starting this weekend, and lead the team on a end-of-season tear. That would be great!

One thing is for sure; if he is still at the helm next year (and I imagine he will be), he will most likely have to do a COTY-worthy coaching job, as we stand to lose some serious talent from the one solid facet of this years team - pitching. If he doesn't figure out what's ailing the club, the din of displeasure will grow much louder next season.

11. sgacock

Expand Collapse

Weak:

Martin didn't inherit a program that played in 3 straight national championship games.
    Martin didn't have highly ranked recruiting classes every year
    Martin didn't have a team with enough talent to be ranked #4 in the preseason
    Martin DID get a post-season berth and produced postive results in the tourney.

We will see if Chad's team gets a post-season berth. If so, we'll see if they produce. If so, he'll be around next year. if not . . . neither you nor I know what will happen.

TWO outta THREE aaain't bad - - - One outta THREE is.

cockofdawn likes this.
  12. bosoxcock

Expand Collapse

I know that Holbrook will be back for next season regardless how this season plays out
    I know this.....because I have common sense

13. rogue cock

Expand Collapse

Then the University shouldn't have built that bright, shiney new stadium that Tanner begged for.

14. bosoxcock

Expand Collapse

They built the baseball stadium because football and basketball paid for it.. and they have plenty of money

But they still want to win in baseball, just not at the top of the athletic department agenda at this time.
    Now if they folded up this year (which I doubt) in baseball and followed up next year with a sub par performance (which I doubt)..then a change will be on Tanner's mind

15. sgacock

Expand Collapse

I know that Holbrook will be back for next season if we make the tourney because I have common sense and know that Ray wants him to succeed.

I do not know that Holbrook will be back for next season if we fail to make the tourney . . . because I do not stupidly take inflexible positions and because I do not profess to ever having discussed the possibility with Ray.

16. world famous 3rd base hecklers

world famous 3rd base hecklers Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Looks like we're done for the season...

17. buildingsc

buildingsc Member
    Expand Collapse

So silly to compare Holbrook to Martin...Martin built a team with fundamentals, seems Holbrook lacks teaching of fundamentals and has no confidence in his own ability to coach nor do his players.

rogue cock likes this.
  18. CockyinMTP

CockyinMTP Member
    Expand Collapse

We should be able to get a real good baseball coach with our great tradition. I don't think it is out of the question to think we may be able to get Chipper Jones, Cal Ripken, or Joe Torre to consider the job. We have great facilities, amazing tradition, and a ton of local talent.

19. sclawman77

sclawman77 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't guarantee us making the tourney.Schmidt may be out indefinitely and we can't hit.

20. bosoxcock

Expand Collapse

Predictions are made on current situations, injuries do effect the outcome.. I still believe they make the playoffs...