ADVERTISEMENT

Taters ignoring in state kids?

Trapman71

Jan 8, 2010
Conway, SC
It looks to me like the taters are getting a little big for their own good and are not pursuing instate kids as much as kids from all over the country. I get that right now they have a lot of national pull because of their success last year, but you still don't turn a blind eye to the kids in your own backyard. It just seems to me they are not focused on SC kids too much right now and I hope that bodes well for the Gamecocks and Muschamp and comes back to bite them in the ass. Wondering if anyone else has noticed the same?

I think the high school coaches will jump in Dablow's $%*& about this - go public; cause Cline and Miller to go into in a week-long tirade. Yeah, right. When pigs fly to the moon!

Clemmers get by with murder. One day . . . one day.

Reactions: german cock
It looks to me like the taters are getting a little big for their own good and are not pursuing instate kids as much as kids from all over the country. I get that right now they have a lot of national pull because of their success last year, but you still don't turn a blind eye to the kids in your own backyard. It just seems to me they are not focused on SC kids too much right now and I hope that bodes well for the Gamecocks and Muschamp and comes back to bite them in the ass. Wondering if anyone else has noticed the same?
I agree. Turning your back on talented 4 star kids in state will catch up to them. If it's a once in a lifetime player, go after him. Don't take a 4 star from FL over a 4 star from SC. It's that simple.

I do not agree because not all 4 stars are the same the kid in Florida may show more talent then the kid in South Carolina. You go after the best talent you can get period

Reactions: cockofthegoat
I agree. Turning your back on talented 4 star kids in state will catch up to them. If it's a once in a lifetime player, go after him. Don't take a 4 star from FL over a 4 star from SC. It's that simple.
Can you give an example of an instate kid in the 2017 cycle who represents an upgrade over the current roster in Clemson, that they're ignoring? The simple fact is that talent is down across the board in SC in 2017. 2018 has a lot of talent, on the other hand.

They are in a good spot as far as recruiting goes. I hate to admit it but they are in the game for lot of top level players. Wouldnt we want to be in that spot? I think Muschamp is doing exactly what he needs to be. Other than Elliott there was no previous relationships with the instate programs. He really seems to be doing a good job of that and it should pay dividends down the road. There are probably a lot of recruits in a wait and see mode as far as their view on us. He has done an incredible job so far.

When people say they are ignoring in state recruits, they are ignoring the ones they dont want. But they are still going after the top level recruits. They slow played OrTre Smith and it doesnt appear to have hurt them at all. Recent CB's have Clemson even though we made him a priority. I know his Mom went there. They are not ignoring Kendrick or Thomas and are in game for both of them. I hope we can get Belk and Thomas and Lawson. Not sure what our chances with OrTre are at this point. Hope we can land him though as we really need him.

Can you give an example of an instate kid in the 2017 cycle who represents an upgrade over the current roster in Clemson, that they're ignoring? The simple fact is that talent is down across the board in SC in 2017. 2018 has a lot of talent, on the other hand.

Exactly, we are not going through the days of Gilmore and Clowney and Lat right now. I did a quick check of the Rivals scholorship offers page. USC has offered 17 players form SC, Clemson has offered 6. There are only 2 in state players ranked in the national 250 at # 83 and #243. I also found it interesting that USC has offered 208 players and Clemson has offered 108. Mus is building a recruiting network in state and taking advantage of his past territories and throwing out more offers to get people talking a little bit. Building the brand. He has offered in the last two years 50+ prospects more per year than Spurrier did

I have heard coaches complaining that Clemson is ignoring their players which could come back to them because I hear they are being real cocky about it, but lets be honest, every coach wants his kid to go to a big time program and feels slighted if they are not taken. If that was the death of recruiting, no major program would be able to go in and take kids because you just can not take every kid whose coach thinks he is good enough.

When people say they are ignoring in state recruits, they are ignoring the ones they dont want. But they are still going after the top level recruits. They slow played OrTre Smith and it doesnt appear to have hurt them at all. Recent CB's have Clemson even though we made him a priority. I know his Mom went there. They are not ignoring Kendrick or Thomas and are in game for both of them. I hope we can get Belk and Thomas and Lawson. Not sure what our chances with OrTre are at this point. Hope we can land him though as we really need him.

But hell, what are they dealing with up there if they are slow playing the #1 recruit? They tried to do the same thing to Shi and he told them to walk

But hell, what are they dealing with up there if they are slow playing the #1 recruit? They tried to do the same thing to Shi and he told them to walk

We had several WRs that were higher on our board that we were in the top group for. Those appear to be going other places so we turned up the heat on Ortre

Clemson currently has 34 players on it's roster from the state of South Carolina while you guys only have 27. Just shut up!
Way to answer a question,you better be the one that needs to shut up ,Butt face ,take your trash back to Pickens county. Go Cocks. you wouldn't tell that to a gamecock to his face, to shut up, just saying. Go Cocks

I do not agree because not all 4 stars are the same the kid in Florida may show more talent then the kid in South Carolina. You go after the best talent you can get period
We are all shocked by your contrary opinion.

Way to answer a question,you better be the one that needs to shut up ,Butt face ,take your trash back to Pickens county. Go Cocks. you wouldn't tell that to a gamecock to his face, to shut up, just saying. Go Cocks

Bahahaha you called him Butt Face!!!! I'm literally laughing out loud! Points for throw back middle school insult! Love it

I mentioned this in the recruiting thread I started a week or so go,it may haunt them in the long run.

Here is how David Hood explained what was going on based on discussions with a south Florida high school coach. I hope that Clemson continues to take the instate kid when talent and character are equal.

I think Muschamp is having to play a different style right now in recruiting. All he has to do is win, and he will be able to pick and choose more selectively.

DH:
"I spent some time with a coach this morning who brought a lot of kids from the Lakeland area of Florida. We were talking about the kids he brought, and he told me he didn't think any of them could play at Clemson. I gave him a questioning look, and he told me that Clemson now gets to cherry pick who they give offers to. Much like Bama, the offers go out to the guys who can really play, and the coaches can concentrate on recruiting a smaller pool of players."

"That's way different than what's going on down in Columbia. They are offering everybody and anybody, it doesn't matter. The coaches down in Florida have a saying, make sure your kid has a pulse and Boom will offer."

Here is how David Hood explained what was going on based on discussions with a south Florida high school coach. I hope that Clemson continues to take the instate kid when talent and character are equal.

I think Muschamp is having to play a different style right now in recruiting. All he has to do is win, and he will be able to pick and choose more selectively.

DH:
"I spent some time with a coach this morning who brought a lot of kids from the Lakeland area of Florida. We were talking about the kids he brought, and he told me he didn't think any of them could play at Clemson. I gave him a questioning look, and he told me that Clemson now gets to cherry pick who they give offers to. Much like Bama, the offers go out to the guys who can really play, and the coaches can concentrate on recruiting a smaller pool of players."

"That's way different than what's going on down in Columbia. They are offering everybody and anybody, it doesn't matter. The coaches down in Florida have a saying, make sure your kid has a pulse and Boom will offer."

This wont end well

I think the OP has a solid point, If Clemson does not take a "same talent, same character " that is instate over an out of state kid, it helps SC in recruiting. These things are cyclical.

You are absolutely right Surfside. Clemson is obviously doing fine with recruiting right now, in state and out. And Carolina's recruiting is on an upswing with Muschamp. Both schools will always be the leaders for the best in state players. It's that simple.

1) - This is David Hood writing. David's comment about Muschamp (or any coach) offering any player with a pulse is stupid and childish. Division 1 coaches don't hand out offers to anyone and everyone. David Hood isn't the smartest (or fittest) guy around but ignorant comments aren't necessary.

2) Why would David Hood be comparing what Clemson is doing to South Carolina's new coach? That doesn't make any sense either. Anyone reading such an article - I think- starts from a baseline of realizing that Clemson and South Carolina are at different places right now. So of course the recruiting tactics are going to be very different. David Hood obviously doesn't understand it, but that's obvious to anyone that would be reading such an article.

3) What David Hood won't tell you is - Muschamp has to take a different approach right now -one a lot like Dabo Swinney took when he got to Clemson. Throw out a lot of offers, try to be everywhere , and hope you land a few top players to get a pipeline going. After doing that for a number of years, you can start to narrow down your focus if you are able to win some games. That's what Dabo did. He wasn't the first. He won't be the last. That is what Muschamp is doing now - not because he wants to - but because he understands that it works.

4) Clemson has had more stability and success nationally in the last few years and that always translates to being able to cherry pick in recruiting- at least for awhile. Again, that's not unique to Clemson. That's standard fare anywhere But you can't do that for a long time unless you are Alabama- and even Bama has had some rough times over the years.

DH:

Last edited:
One thing folks need to learn - All 4 * players are not the same , height, speed, build. One player may fit in better at one program but not at another one. Coaches want players that fit their schools style of play.

Reactions: BigTomE
Using Alabama under Nick Saban as the gold standard on how to build a college football program. Of the 52 players currently on NFL teams that Nick Saban recruited to Alabama only 20 are from Alabama. You have to go for the best talent you can get if you want to compete.

One thing folks need to learn - All 4 * players are not the same , height, speed, build. One player may fit in better at one program but not at another one. Coaches want players that fit their schools style of play.

People never get this. 4* goes from what 35 best player to ~260-270. That is a huge range. there are players that do or do not fit the system and there are players that you do not want in your locker room. And the most important thing, coaches do not give a rat ass about the star rating when they offer a kid. They will talk it up if they hit 4 or 5 as a PR move, but that is it. That is why I could not care less about a kids stars, show me his offers. Carolinas problem is that the kids committing are not on the power 5 level from a offer standpoint. It is scary to see 4-5 OL signed and few major offers between them. At this point Mus is going to be playing with smoke and mirrors for several years until he can get a base built

1) - This is David Hood writing. David's comment about Muschamp (or any coach) offering any player with a pulse is stupid and childish. Division 1 coaches don't hand out offers to anyone and everyone. David Hood isn't the smartest (or fittest) guy around but ignorant comments aren't necessary.

2) Why would David Hood be comparing what Clemson is doing to South Carolina's new coach? That doesn't make any sense either. Anyone reading such an article - I think- starts from a baseline of realizing that Clemson and South Carolina are at different places right now. So of course the recruiting tactics are going to be very different. David Hood obviously doesn't understand it, but that's obvious to anyone that would be reading such an article.

3) What David Hood won't tell you is - Muschamp has to take a different approach right now -one a lot like Dabo Swinney took when he got to Clemson. Throw out a lot of offers, try to be everywhere , and hope you land a few top players to get a pipeline going. After doing that for a number of years, you can start to narrow down your focus if you are able to win some games. That's what Dabo did. He wasn't the first. He won't be the last. That is what Muschamp is doing now - not because he wants to - but because he understands that it works.

4) Clemson has had more stability and success nationally in the last few years and that always translates to being able to cherry pick in recruiting- at least for awhile. Again, that's not unique to Clemson. That's standard fare anywhere But you can't do that for a long time unless you are Alabama- and even Bama has had some rough times over the years.
To your Point 3...that's not really the approach Swinney took at Clemson in 2009 when he got the job full-time. He signed 12 players in that class, and could have easily filled it with 3*, 2*, and unranked players. He opted to save those scholarships for the following cycle. It's kind of a question of "do you view scholarships as 1 year agreements and cycle players yearly like Alabama? Or do you treat scholarships like 4 year contracts?" Different schools and coaches approach it differently. No idea how Muschamp views it, but having coached under Saban, I'd guess he's generally ok with cycling unproductive players out of his program before their 4 year schollys are up. Swinney doesn't appear to include that as part of his routine. Assuming that's the case, Muschamp could take some players this cycle that might not be in Columbia in 2 years.

4I realize his first class was only 12 or so players. BTW- 4 of those 12 players were 3 star players, and 1 was a 2 star player, including several where Clemson was by far their best offer. So 40% of the class was 3 star or under players.

and of course Dabo had already been at Clemson, recruiting for Clemson, making connections for Clemson - and even he didn't think he could land a full class of good players.

He took some chances, signed a mix- and now is able to go after more elite players.

That's not unique or unusual.

That's how every school would like to do it.

To your Point 3...that's not really the approach Swinney took at Clemson in 2009 when he got the job full-time. He signed 12 players in that class, and could have easily filled it with 3*, 2*, and unranked players. He opted to save those scholarships for the following cycle. It's kind of a question of "do you view scholarships as 1 year agreements and cycle players yearly like Alabama? Or do you treat scholarships like 4 year contracts?" Different schools and coaches approach it differently. No idea how Muschamp views it, but having coached under Saban, I'd guess he's generally ok with cycling unproductive players out of his program before their 4 year schollys are up. Swinney doesn't appear to include that as part of his routine. Assuming that's the case, Muschamp could take some players this cycle that might not be in Columbia in 2 years.

Reactions: BigTomE

Most Gamecocks are women after all, so he'd probably be more polite in person.

Clemson currently has 34 players on it's roster from the state of South Carolina while you guys only have 27. Just shut up!

And that's why you have won the last 2 games. It's changing now and so will our record against Clemson.

4I realize his first class was only 12 or so players. BTW- 4 of those 12 players were 3 star players, and 1 was a 2 star player, including several where Clemson was by far their best offer. So 40% of the class was 3 star or under players.

and of course Dabo had already been at Clemson, recruiting for Clemson, making connections for Clemson - and even he didn't think he could land a full class of good players.

He took some chances, signed a mix- and now is able to go after more elite players.

That's not unique or unusual.

That's how every school would like to do it.
Dabo inherited a team that was pre-season top 10, Muschamp inherited a team that went 3-9. I imagine they had different needs when they came in.

Of course. That sort of goes withou pt saying.

Heck, two 3-9 teams can have different needs.

Dabo inherited a team that was pre-season top 10, Muschamp inherited a team that went 3-9. I imagine they had different needs when they came in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT