ADVERTISEMENT

Taters' RB staying...

I'm confused, is he bad against South Carolina or bad against good teams? Pretty damn good this year against Ohio State.

he ran for 36 yards on 10 attempts vs. Ohio State. He's a great RB but it's impossible to argue that his stats were not down against quality defenses.
15 attempts for 78 yards against LSU
10 attempts for 36 yards against Ohio State
15 attempts for 51 yards against USC
16 attempts for 53 yards against A&M

But he tore up the ACC defenses.

Huh? In the last 4 playoff games he had 63 touches for 456 yards from scrimmage, 8 TDs.

You are correct. The stats don’t lie.

Then why return? He has nothing left to prove. There is ZERO upside in returning. Another playoff appearance? Not worth millions. Another National Championship appearance? Not worth millions? Improving from a 2nd round grade to a 1st round grade? A gamble considering Clemson loses 4 starting offensive linemen. Where is the upside for the player?

If Datboy truly cared about his players then he would encourage them to do what is in their best interest for their future. Period.

Dude honestly I hope you're a troll, because otherwise you sound like a total moron.

Etienne is a great back and would be the best player on our entire 2020 team by a wide margin. He'd be the best player on most programs in the country. I get hating Clemson, but the way some of our idiotic fans try to downplay every aspect of their program is pathetic.

Most of my Clemson friends hated losing to us but tipped their caps to players like Alshon and Connor. It's ok to not act like a moron sometimes.

I agree he is one of the best RB's in the country, which is why it's so puzzling for him to return. He's the fourth best RB in the draft, at worst.

I thought mine was fairly classless, but its Clem-tech and I make exceptions for them until they graduate or leave (respectably , Sorry Chad Swig Kelly, missed your chance). any way don't have any issue with the young man making a choice, maybe he wants another shot at LSU, him having left the bayou to play for a team that got BURIED in the bayou.

There are at least two RB that would go before ETN. What he risks is a career ending injury. Better get him a Lloyd’s of London policy. As for getting his degree, Andre Goodman, after a 10 year NFL career, returned to Carolina and earned his degree!

One other aspect of this decision is that NFL RB’s average career is a little over four years. I don’t care if he returns ‘upthar’ it not, but did he think this through logically or emotionally.

Then why return? He has nothing left to prove. There is ZERO upside in returning. Another playoff appearance? Not worth millions. Another National Championship appearance? Not worth millions? Improving from a 2nd round grade to a 1st round grade? A gamble considering Clemson loses 4 starting offensive linemen. Where is the upside for the player?

If Datboy truly cared about his players then he would encourage them to do what is in their best interest for their future. Period.

He knows a little more than the amateurs. Take for example, Wilkins and Ferrell who came back for their fourth years (and second or third degrees). Their draft grades in early 2018 were second round. They played their way to early and mid first round picks. You need to understand the huge difference between first and second round. First round money is guaranteed. After that, only the signing bonus is guaranteed. The difference for Ferrell was 25-28 million. For Christian, it was 10-12 million.

Right now Etienne is projected as a second-third round pick. If he can play his way to an early second round pick or even a first round pick, it will be well worth it (i.e. millions). Simmons and Higgins project as first round, so they have been advised to leave by the coaches and are leaving.

Hold the phone, how do you know he didn’t tell him to declare or to do what he felt was best? Not a tater but I’m curious in this.

What did I say that’s classless? You don’t think these things need to be considered? Do you think he should lower his head and run into wall for Dabo without question? Head on back to Tater net, this is an objectively bad decision on his part.

Sorry for calling you out so harshly. Don't let it melt you. Let it be a lesson.

Hold the phone, how do you know he didn’t tell him to declare or to do what he felt was best? Not a tater but I’m curious in this.

Come on man, don't you know that Datboy's word is law in Pickens County and he is never to be disobeyed?
I don't know that Datboy talked him into staying, just like you don't know that he didn't. But what I do know is that Datboy has a history of players with solid draft grades returning for their senior seasons.
Spurrier and Muschamp have both said that if a player gets a first round grade then they encouraged them to leave because that is what is best for the player. Datboy, on the other hand, has proven that he has no issue encouraging players with first round grades to return.

Last edited:
He knows a little more than the amateurs. Take for example, Wilkins and Ferrell who came back for their fourth years (and second or third degrees). Their draft grades in early 2018 were second round. They played their way to early and mid first round picks. You need to understand the huge difference between first and second round. First round money is guaranteed. After that, only the signing bonus is guaranteed. The difference for Ferrell was 25-28 million. For Christian, it was 10-12 million.

Right now Etienne is projected as a second-third round pick. If he can play his way to an early second round pick or even a first round pick, it will be well worth it (i.e. millions). Simmons and Higgins project as first round, so they have been advised to leave by the coaches and are leaving.

BS...... where did you get Wilkins and Ferrell had second round grades?? That's absolute crap. Here is just one article from the tater loving Greenville news stating that both were projected to be drafted in the first round. Almost all mock drafts had them going in the first round. The actual NFL grades are not public so all we can go on are mock draft projections.

"Like Ferrell, Wilkins and Bryant are projected to be selected in the first round. Unless their personal ambitions include pursuit of a second national championship ring or an individual trophy, there is little left for them to prove or achieve in college."

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...s-loom-clemson-star-underclassmen/1000639001/

He must not have gotten a good grade
Saw something from a national guy that said while the media was hyping him as a first round, NFL scouts were saying 2nd or 3rd round.
Regarding Wilkins et al, the media again was hyping them as 1st rounders after the Sugar Bowl loss, but their NFL grades came back as 2nd round grades. Their staying for another year actually paid off for them. It’s a gamble anyway you look at it.

BS...... where did you get Wilkins and Ferrell had second round grades?? That's absolute crap. Here is just one article from the tater loving Greenville news stating that both were projected to be drafted in the first round. Almost all mock drafts had them going in the first round. The actual NFL grades are not public so all we can go on are mock draft projections.

"Like Ferrell, Wilkins and Bryant are projected to be selected in the first round. Unless their personal ambitions include pursuit of a second national championship ring or an individual trophy, there is little left for them to prove or achieve in college."

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...s-loom-clemson-star-underclassmen/1000639001/

That's what they said when they came back. They didn't like their draft grades. Read a little more than the first thing you find with the google.

Corrected!

Quit calling mule face Sunshine! Everyone knows the nick name Sunshine was Ron Bass in remember the Titans and a Gamecock also.

Corrected!

Quit calling mule face Sunshine! Everyone knows the nick name Sunshine was Ron Bass in remember the Titans and a Gamecock also.

That was in the movie. Fiction. I don’t think he was called that when he was at USC.

He's a premier back. Any assertions to the contrary are ludicrous or trolling. I do not understand his decision.

I think he would go after Swift, Taylor, and Dobbins, at the least. That likely puts him late second round or early third. If he got a first or second round grade, the school can buy him a 1-5 million dollar policy. Early third round is less than 1 million guaranteed, so the risk isn't that great. He's a smart kid with all the tools to make a good coach some day, so the NFL isn't the only path to making a very good living.

Late day one or day two and he should have a $4 million plus contract with cash signing bonus. Start working toward an NFL pension a year earlier. Seems like a no-brainer, taters do not pay that kind of money. Maybe he learned from the two good teams he played against that he is not ready for NFL level football and he needs another year to develop before he can try the NFL?

They are going to kick our ass this year again regardless if he stayed or went to the league early. As for me? If I had the opportunity and was good enough to get the best draft grade possible (which he did) I’d be gone in a second as I couldn’t take that risk of getting injured and losing out on millions. I could always take classes (as many have done before) and graduate down the road...

It's like Harris running wild against CSU. Some on here thought he was he 2nd coming of Lattimore. I think he's gonna be good for us, but you don't find that out against (greatly) inferior teams. Any average back can put up big numbers when there's a huge talent gap on the lines. When the talent is equal, that's when you can identify the great ones.
The way some people was hyping up Kevin Harris was beyond stupid. And like you said when the talent is equal you find out a lot more about a player’s skill. Maybe Etienne felt he wasn’t quite ready for the NFL after going against two elite defenses back to back.

Reactions: importcock
Absolute worst position on the field to make this decision. Both he and Gallman haven’t had so much as a broken nail in the last 6-7 years. It’s almost unheard of. Clemson has to be due a injury at that position. Hopefully the guy doesn’t have that happen.
Lawrence just split his heisman votes again.

He is an unbelievable back with excellent speed. But in the ACC he only had to hit the hole and deke a LB in order to take it to the house given their sorry defenses. Running up his stats. When defenses keyed on him, he was shut down but Lawrence did pick apart the man secondary on play action. Who knows how well he we be as an NFL prospect. He seems like a good kid. Just like Lawrence seems like a good kid. And as a Gamecock, I hate to say that about any Clemson player, and I say that about two of them.

Reactions: Zann77
I think he would go after Swift, Taylor, and Dobbins, at the least. That likely puts him late second round or early third. If he got a first or second round grade, the school can buy him a 1-5 million dollar policy. Early third round is less than 1 million guaranteed, so the risk isn't that great. He's a smart kid with all the tools to make a good coach some day, so the NFL isn't the only path to making a very good living.
I like the reasoning in post #67 and find it applicable here.

Last edited:
Another brainwashing job by Daboo the Magician - salesman extraordinaire for sure. All logic points that ETN should have gone pro and, of course, he doesn`t.

Reactions: okccock
Seems like a nice, religious man the way he quotes scripture. He'll be fine; the church down there takes care of the needy.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
He might have to. He wouldn't have gained over 1600 yards rushing in each of the past two seasons.
True. Lol. In the next few yrs we should have some talent good enough to be projected in the top of the draft. Time will tell if some of our top talent stays. I doubt we would ever have an entire d line come back with high draft projections. Wonder why taters stay? Hmmmm

So only the almighty dollar matters? Sell your soul. Any player that had a decent junior year should go in the draft or sit out so not to get hurt and hurt the draft status? Is that all there is? Don't matter if you like college, like to play college ball, want to get a degree, even improve draft status with a good year. It's GO NOW. Go for the money. Everything else in life be damned. Money, money, money.

Sickening

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT