ADVERTISEMENT

Taters' RB staying...

I just dont see what he gains by staying. And its true hes not a between the tackles back.

Reactions: okccock
So only the almighty dollar matters? Sell your soul. Any player that had a decent junior year should go in the draft or sit out so not to get hurt and hurt the draft status? Is that all there is? Don't matter if you like college, like to play college ball, want to get a degree, even improve draft status with a good year. It's GO NOW. Go for the money. Everything else in life be damned. Money, money, money.

Sickening

You’re right — there are absolutely many things more important than money. Helping your millionaire head coach win yet another ACC title isn’t one of them.

So only the almighty dollar matters? Sell your soul. Any player that had a decent junior year should go in the draft or sit out so not to get hurt and hurt the draft status? Is that all there is? Don't matter if you like college, like to play college ball, want to get a degree, even improve draft status with a good year. It's GO NOW. Go for the money. Everything else in life be damned. Money, money, money.

Sickening
I get where you’re coming from, but YES, it IS about the money! As stated earlier, you are blessed if you can play RB more than a few years in the NFL. I’m sure there was no discussion about leaving hundreds of thousands out of the bank.

Reactions: funktavious
Obviously that is bad but his status might get worse even with a good year just because he’ll be a senior. For a RB, it’s almost impossible for him to improve a lot in the eyes of NFL teams.
Also RBs don't typically have long careers in the NFL. It is probably the most taxing position on the field. Staying an extra year at Clemson is cutting a year from his NFL career. Not a smart move at all.

If he's a day one or early day two draft pick, he should be pushed to leave. I would say that even if he played for the Gamecocks.

It may work out for him, but that's a huge gamble. Marcus should be his advisor.

I wonder what Dabo is saying to him.
I guarantee Dabo is telling him to stay. Didn't he say something like if you're not projected to go in the top-10 you should come back for your senior year. I understand wanting what's best for your team but these kids deserve to be told what's really in their best interest. That's one thing about Spurrier. If he thought they were going to be a sure draft pick he advised them to go make that money.

I have to disagree. I don't think there's a big difference between the Clemson salary scale and the NFL.
all jokes aside... anyone ever thought there might be some kind of blackmail angle to some of dabloid's players staying? even with that newspring money it's not the same as the NFL, and there is much more risk involved in staying. and also, clemson blows, no idea why anyone would want to spend any longer there than they had to. a water slide doesn't make up for that.

Reactions: redrogers
all jokes aside... anyone ever thought there might be some kind of blackmail angle to some of dabloid's players staying? even with that newspring money it's not the same as the NFL, and there is much more risk involved in staying. and also, clemson blows, no idea why anyone would want to spend any longer there than they had to. a water slide doesn't make up for that.

I actually suggested this blackmail thing sometime ago. Once the front end money is accepted, there is an obligation to follow the rules. Very simple and explainable thing going on here.

Sickening
Why do people go to college? Is it just for the education and not the benefits that education produces? People go to college so they can get good jobs and make MONEY! Most guys playing college ball have dreams of making the NFL and earning a lot of money. That is the ultimate goal here.

Epitome of classlessness. Thanks for the example to show others.
no one's wishing that for him. classlessness is your coach putting him in an unnecessarily risky position when he has a real opportunity, regardless of debate over whether he is really that great of an rb or not. he's good enough to get good money in the draft.

Also RBs don't typically have long careers in the NFL. It is probably the most taxing position on the field. Staying an extra year at Clemson is cutting a year from his NFL career. Not a smart move at all.

But, how do we know he is not making more money by staying another year at quempsum?

Reactions: funktavious
On top of coming back he'll be turning 22 before the draft next year. Take note Gurley's production has slipped majorly and hes 25. Ezekiel Elliots production dipped as well and I think he close to the same age. That puts a massive light on his age at next years draft. In todays nfl they dont want some guy who had close a 1000 Carrys or more. That alone will kill his status.

no one's wishing that for him. classlessness is your coach putting him in an unnecessarily risky position when he has a real opportunity, regardless of debate over whether he is really that great of an rb or not. he's good enough to get good money in the draft.

It’s called running a football program.

The kid got a second round grade. You want Dabo to tell him to leave? “good enough to get money in the draft” sounds like the financial plan of a 18 year old taking a 40k a year job now, over a chance at a more beneficial financial future while having to tough it out a few more years.

CJ Spiller, Clelin Ferrell, Christian Wilkins and a host of others benefited from staying. Others did not, Tajh Boyd etc. Many others left and ended up anywhere from the 1st-undrafted. It’s a crapshoot with a host of factors involved.

ETN decided to stay. Good for us, but doesn’t matter to you, because he doesn’t do much against you guys anyway right?

On top of coming back he'll be turning 22 before the draft next year. Take note Gurley's production has slipped majorly and hes 25. Ezekiel Elliots production dipped as well and I think he close to the same age. That puts a massive light on his age at next years draft. In todays nfl they dont want some guy who had close a 1000 Carrys or more. That alone will kill his status.

I tried to explain to others, and maybe you will understand. First round contracts are all guaranteed. After that, only part is guaranteed and it decreases the farther you drop. If he has any chance to bump up to first round, it’s worth it. Worst case is, he ends up a Clemson RB coach for 20 years or more.

I tried to explain to others, and maybe you will understand. First round contracts are all guaranteed. After that, only part is guaranteed and it decreases the farther you drop. If he has any chance to bump up to first round, it’s worth it. Worst case is, he ends up a Clemson RB coach for 20 years or more.
He's losing 4 offensive linemen. He may have a subpar season and he'll be a year older. As far as coaching, he can always come back and get his degree and follow that path. He has about a 5 year window of being a productive NFL back and that's being generous.

He's losing 4 offensive linemen. He may have a subpar season and he'll be a year older. As far as coaching, he can always come back and get his degree and follow that path. He has about a 5 year window of being a productive NFL back and that's being generous.

Apparently he has a second round grade. Doesn’t mean he’ll be picked in the second round, depending how picks fall due to team needs he could go in the third, fourth, or fifth round. That’s a lot of money he’d be losing out on.

Can he improve his draft chances by coming back? Maybe. If he works on aspects of his game like blocking, he’ll improve his chances.

Can he get hurt next year? Sure. He can also blow a knee at the Combine and go undrafted.

Some guys like the college experience, and he stands a great chance of playing for yet another Natty if he comes back.

Alabama has a pretty fair number of guys come back to improve their stock. It works out for them a lot of the time.

Personally, I think it’s refreshing when guys want to come back instead of jumping for the money before they’re ready.

Apparently he has a second round grade. Doesn’t mean he’ll be picked in the second round, depending how picks fall due to team needs he could go in the third, fourth, or fifth round. That’s a lot of money he’d be losing out on.

Can he improve his draft chances by coming back? Maybe. If he works on aspects of his game like blocking, he’ll improve his chances.

Can he get hurt next year? Sure. He can also blow a knee at the Combine and go undrafted.

Some guys like the college experience, and he stands a great chance of playing for yet another Natty if he comes back.

Alabama has a pretty fair number of guys come back to improve their stock. It works out for them a lot of the time.

Personally, I think it’s refreshing when guys want to come back instead of jumping for the money before they’re ready.
It's great for fans but realistically, these guys need to do what's best for them. If he was my kid, I know what I'd be telling him to do, more so when he's a RB. They have the shortest career span in the NFL.

It's great for fans but realistically, these guys need to do what's best for them. If he was my kid, I know what I'd be telling him to do, more so when he's a RB. They have the shortest career span in the NFL.

I thought the four year career length was an old number, so I looked it up. RBs are averaging 2.57 years, WRs are 2.81 years, CBs are 2.94, and the league average is 3.3. Some of it is injuries, some of it is just getting replaced by better talent. If he gets a first round grade, no question because he’s very likely to go in the first round. Second round grade is more complicated because he can still get an insurance policy. Third and later, no insurance policy so you only come back if you think you can significantly increase your slot. They deny it, but I believe the NFL draft advisory committee is generous with the second round grades because of the insurance situation. Seen too many players drop to fourth or lower after a second round grade.

Perhaps not all Juniors received a stipend.

They get the same as the other players. I think the USC stipend is a little higher than Clemson’s.

I found the numbers. The USC stipend is about $400 more than the Clemson stipend. Clemson fees+tuition are a few thousand more, but they must cover more.

Last edited:
They get the same as the other players. I think the USC stipend is a little higher than Clemson’s.

I found the numbers. The USC stipend is about $400 more than the Clemson stipend. Clemson fees+tuition are a few thousand more, but they must cover more.

Perhaps the stipend is greater at USC; however, the Clemson player makes more on handshakes after the game that way cover the difference. In fact, I know of one player, who was not one of the superstars, but he made decent money just standing by them after the game. Clemson still allows fans on the field. I am sure you do not want to argue with me on this. Thanks.

Perhaps the stipend is greater at USC; however, the Clemson player makes more on handshakes after the game that way cover the difference. In fact, I know of one player, who was not one of the superstars, but he made decent money just standing by them after the game. Clemson still allows fans on the field. I am sure you do not want to argue with me on this. Thanks.

But there's been no major infraction or probation in over 30 years. I recall a USC recruit/player receiving money about ten years ago that he had to repay (Damiere Byrd). It was part of the pattern that resulted in the second of three probations for USC since 2000. This current probation is only 1 year, but USC has now received three times the probation that Clemson football ever did, at 9 years to 3. USC, actually both of them, are in the top ten in probation. How many colleges in SC have had to forfeit a whole (conference) season for cheating? Any idea?

But there's been no major infraction or probation in over 30 years. I recall a USC recruit/player receiving money about ten years ago that he had to repay (Damiere Byrd). It was part of the pattern that resulted in the second of three probations for USC since 2000. This current probation is only 1 year, but USC has now received three times the probation that Clemson football ever did, at 9 years to 3. USC, actually both of them, are in the top ten in probation. How many colleges in SC have had to forfeit a whole (conference) season for cheating? Any idea?

I never discussed probation, I just discussed the facts that Clemson players receive cash, on the field, after each game. That is indisputable. Some make a lot of money, and I mean a lot.

From my experience, when a tater starts talking about class it's best to just ignore them

Reactions: carolinamyke
$10 says he didn't write his own statement that he was staying. That was done by the machine known as Klemp sux football.
The lone tater and dawg in my neighborhood always have some crazy predictions. 1st it was Brice was going to UGA. Now with Newman going to Athens, I guess that has changed. But our Saturday night grill out was full of BS (I think). Taterhead was telling us that the tiggers were going to lose 1-2 RBs (ETN coming back and 2 incoming RBs) and 3+ DLs with the incoming DE & DT signees. Not sure how much of that is true.
But if any of the players are good fits for us, I hope our coaches will pursue them.
I hope we have a nice off-season with little or no "Dablow and Clemp's son" getting all kinds of national publicity. I could only imagine how bad it is within the state of SC. I am just very tired of hearing the words "Clempson and Dablow"!

It's obvious Clemson pays players to stay when they should leave for the NFL.

Is there really enough tater money floating around up in them hills to pay a guy who is only a second round pick millions of dollars to stay one more year?

I completely believe that taters are dirty, they have been caught in the past (1981), but would they really pay a guy $4 million to play one more year. That is almost half of Dabado's salary.

Just curious, how does one bottle the mind? .....asking for a friend.
I thought this was common knowledge by now...
tenor-2020-01-25-T185959-476.gif

ADVERTISEMENT