ADVERTISEMENT

Taters vs Bama rematch in title game..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't normally pay attention to the FPI, but I do remember seeing that Bama had a 60% chance of beating Washington last week and thinking that was rather low.

I don't normally pay attention to the FPI, but I do remember seeing that Bama had a 60% chance of beating Washington last week and thinking that was rather low.

FPI to me is kind of like the betting odds. Bama is about a 6 pt favorite. This might reflect who will win the game game but there is a fudge factor built in to insure that they will get a somewhat even amount of money bet on each side. In which case the books are guaranteed a profit.

FPI predictions may be skewed somewhat lower to hype games for the purpose of ratings.

Winston was a RS freshman who went on to win the Heisman because he is the best passer in CFB in the past decade. Hurts is in the bottom 50th percentile of CFB passers this year. Like...he is not a good passer. At all. At least this year. Huge difference comparing those two entities.
Point wasn't shamess vs hurts point was qbs are coming in more prepared now and upc runs a qb friendly high school system and with all the other talent around the new qb they should still be good. Thanks for making me spell it out more praise for them on our board house taters should sleep better now well except for hopefully losing their second title game in two years.

Now here's somebody that gets it
I guess it's old school mentality but I still see ALL the teams on our schedule as our enemies. Don't know why that changed for some people but of course the enemy of my #1 enemy is my friend.

I can't comment of the knowledge of Clemson fans, but I can tell you most so-called Alabama fans are clueless. They all pull for Alabama, because everyone does. But they don't know the first thing about football. All they know if Go Bama and put houndstooth on anything that doesn't move.

I've never really understood the Clemson hate. I find them to be one of the most likable programs in the country. I think it's probably the fact that they approach the game with so much joy - from their fans to their head coach to the players, there's just a palpable sense that they really love the game. Their games always feel like giant celebrations - their entrance, the way the fans rush the field, the way their coach smiles and gushes about his team in interviews, the way Deshaun and some of the other guys celebrate after plays....it's obvious to outside observers that they genuinely love what they do and are having a lot of fun doing it. Contrast that with Alabama and how Saban always seems so dour, angry, and miserable. If I was a top recruit, I'd be lining up to play for Dabo rather than Saban. He's so much more positive and happy about his work.

And even though some of you may disagree with this, I also have to say I think Clemson has perhaps the most knowledgeable fan base in the country. I used to think Nebraska had the most knowledgeable fans I'd ever met, but then Clemson started playing a lot of championship/bowl games down here in Florida and I had a chance to interact with them more. I was amazed. It's not just that they know so much about the game of football, but, again, as I alluded to above, there's a genuine sense of joy about them. They truly love the game. 30+ years is too long for a fan base of their caliber to have to wait between national titles (and I realize the same could maybe be said about Georgia). The football gods owe them. That said, they don't seem to allow championships to dictate their emotions - you can just tell with Clemson people that they're going to be there supporting their team with the same spirit regardless.

So, I know it's not a popular opinion on here, but I hope they get it done tomorrow night. Gator Nation appreciates the way Clemson slaps around FSU and Miami, and we stand with the Tigers...sorry Bama.

No trial. Straight to execution.

Reactions: Goldhunter
I do think there's a natural affinity in the sense that, if Clemson is strong, it hurts FSU and Miami. We hope Clemson beats FSU and wins the ACC every year. From their perspective, they probably like the idea of us being strong and blocking your path in the SEC East.

Aside from the way they vanquish our in-state rivals, though, I think it also goes back to the level of joy they demonstrate in playing the game, to which I alluded to above. They're just one of those programs that represents everything great about college football and reminds you why you love it so much. Alabama, on the other hand, represents the darker sides of the game and sucks your soul right out of you. I would bet most of the nation will be pulling for the joyful, happy Tigers tomorrow night vs Bama's evil empire. Clemson just has a more positive image and actually looks like they're having fun. At Florida, we can appreciate that considering we were the team with the "Fun'n'Gun" in our heyday. It's not just about grinding out wins under a "process," some programs genuinely enjoy playing the game and want to have fun. Clemson gets that.
If you're so in love with Clemson, why are you on our board? We don't feel the love for the taters on here.

The addition of Mike Williams and Dexter Lawrence being in this year's game combined with no Henry, and this being a down year in the SEC.. And if Bama gets behind by 10, that's not their game which is why many are picking Clemson.

Winston was a RS freshman who went on to win the Heisman because he is the best passer in CFB in the past decade. Hurts is in the bottom 50th percentile of CFB passers this year. Like...he is not a good passer. At all. At least this year. Huge difference comparing those two entities.

Hurts is not Wintson. Few quarterbacks are as good as Winston, including Watson. But you're just making stuff up: Hurts was 15th in the nation in completion percentage and 33rd in pass efficiency.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8/p1

Hurts is needs to use his legs tonight to make some plays and extend drives.

The addition of Mike Williams and Dexter Lawrence being in this year's game combined with no Henry, and this being a down year in the SEC.. And if Bama gets behind by 10, that's not their game which is why many are picking Clemson.

I agree with you on Williams. If Clemson wins, I believe he'll be the MVP. Dexter Lawrence is an outstanding freshman, but I'm not sure he's better right now than DJ Reader was last year. Reader is playing big minutes on the best defense in the NFL. And Scarbrough looks like a Derrick Henry clone.

Hurts is not Wintson. Few quarterbacks are as good as Winston, including Watson. But you're just making stuff up: Hurts was 15th in the nation in completion percentage and 33rd in pass efficiency.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8/p1

Hurts is needs to use his legs tonight to make some plays and extend drives.
This really shouldn't be a necessary conversation, but 44% of Hurts' completions were behind the LOS. The next closest D1 QB? Bentley at 39%. When he has to pass the ball past 5 yards downfield, he is a dreadful "quarterback". If you aren't aware of this, it's because you haven't watched Bama play this year. Comparing Winston to Hurts is silly. If Bama wins tonight, it won't be because of Hurts, it will be in spite of Hurts.

I'll be with those 5 in predicting a Clemson win.. to many weapons

Well the one thing I'm banking on is it is time for Clemson to have a bad game. They have played the last three or four games perfectly and they have to have a bad game. But, the same could be said about Bama.

What I dread seeing is that damn orange flag on the state house dome.
Good point. I didn't think about that. There will also be signs along highways at the state line acknowledging it too. Perhaps that will FINALLY wake up the masses to the simpletons and incompetents running our ath-a-letic department.

This really shouldn't be a necessary conversation, but 44% of Hurts' completions were behind the LOS. The next closest D1 QB? Bentley at 39%. When he has to pass the ball past 5 yards downfield, he is a dreadful "quarterback". If you aren't aware of this, it's because you haven't watched Bama play this year. Comparing Winston to Hurts is silly. If Bama wins tonight, it won't be because of Hurts, it will be in spite of Hurts.

I clearly stated Hurts is not Winston. Not sure why you directed that comment to me. I just pointed out a factual error on your part. And, yes, I've seen Bama plenty, which is the reason I said he needs to make some plays with his legs.

If you have been watching the days leading up to the game...it appears to be all Clemson all the time. Dabo talking a lot. Boulware talking a lot. Watson talking a lot. Haven't heard or seen much from Saban or Alabama players. Think there is a reason for that.

First...Kirby Smart pulled a Lane Kiffen last year when he was on the way out the door to Georgia and the Alabama defense was not prepared for Clemson as well as they should have been.

Second...although Alabama's front seven were pretty good last year...they secondary was not all that strong and Clemson took advantage of that.

Third...the Alabama defense is pissed off at all the talk about Clemson wanting to get back to this game...that Clemson didn't lose the game...they just ran out of time...all the talk about getting back to this game to get another shot at Alabama....blah...blah...blah. Alabama is letting Clemson do all the talking.

Fourth....the Alabama defense...the best college defense to come along in some time....Ruben Foster and company...are really looking forward to this game...but are not talking much.

Conclusion...Alabama stifles the Clemson offense and wins by 14 points. Mark it down.

Great call

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT