ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor Stallworth - helmet penalty...

Bigger_Stronger_Faster

Aug 6, 2011
I get that the rule is for player safety, but like Muschamp said it should be up to the player "if he wants to stick his face in there." What I don't get is WTH is it a 15 yard penalty and automatic 1st down? That seems outrageously excessive imho.
And why there was no flag on the UT OL that knocked his helmet off. If nothing else it should have been a hands to the face call and offsetting.

Yep, agree - I posted in another thread that they should have called illegal hands to the face. How the hell did his helmet come off anyway? UT OL shoved it off using his facemask.

I do wonder how that would work though. Would illegal hands to the face negate the personal foul for continuing to play without a helmet since it happened first/caused the helmet to come off? Or would they be offsetting? I honestly don't know.

Reactions: bushmastercock
Unfortunately, the first one (playing without the helmet) is so black-and-white in the rule book, and so emphasized by the rules committee, that the refs had no choice but to flag it. It still sucks, and was at a horrible time (3rd down sack).

The hands to the face should have been called as off setting penalty with a replay.

A few thoughts:
1. It's natural instinct to keep playing. Most players would keep going without thinking about it.
2. I fully expected UT to drive for a touchdown. I am so impressed that the D stopped them.
3. If it happens to the ball carrier, the whistle blows the play dead immediately because he can't just stop.

Reactions: Judson1
Yep, agree - I posted in another thread that they should have called illegal hands to the face. How the hell did his helmet come off anyway? UT OL shoved it off using his facemask.

I do wonder how that would work though. Would illegal hands to the face negate the personal foul for continuing to play without a helmet since it happened first/caused the helmet to come off? Or would they be offsetting? I honestly don't know.

Order doesn't matter unless it is after the play dead ball. It would have been off setting - replay the down.

Order doesn't matter unless it is after the play dead ball. It would have been off setting - replay the down.
I thought the helmet penalty was a dead ball penalty, and would be enforced regardless?

Live ball penalties do not offset dead ball penalties...but I'm no official.

Maybe one of our resident officials can chime in and enlighten us.

Stupid rule anyway. Hopefully they address it again and reduce the penalty to 5 yards, which should it be.

Reactions: Judson1
Unfortunately, the first one (playing without the helmet) is so black-and-white in the rule book, and so emphasized by the rules committee, that the refs had no choice but to flag it. It still sucks, and was at a horrible time (3rd down sack).

The hands to the face should have been called as off setting penalty with a replay.

A few thoughts:
1. It's natural instinct to keep playing. Most players would keep going without thinking about it.
2. I fully expected UT to drive for a touchdown. I am so impressed that the D stopped them.
3. If it happens to the ball carrier, the whistle blows the play dead immediately because he can't just stop.

Here's the worst part of that rule. If a player stops playing, the other 21 players on the field don't and you will get your clock cleaned. It's a dumb ass rule that makes dumb ass rule makers feel like they are doing something when they are actually endangering a player more. If a UT player would have blind side blocked Stallworth at that point, do you think they would have called a penalty on UT.........nope.

I love how they call it "unsportsmanlike conduct" as if Stallworth somehow has an advantage at that point.

Speaking of Stallworth, isn't he the one they didn't give the fumble recovery to AND let the Tennessee offensive lineman "block" into the back of his knees and take him out of the game a little while? Could have been someone else but I'm thinking those were all him. Man, that's like the movies when the guy gets triple teamed and ends up beating everyone's ass anyway. What a dude. Whole defense came to play and had each other's backs. Awesome to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: NetworkX
The 15 yard penalty is very stupid. It bails out teams with a first down they didn't earn. All that should happen is the player has to sit out a down. That's all.

I'm thinking it should be like the face mask penalty used to be. If it's intentional to show off or use as an advantage then yes, 15 yards, automatic first down. This was "incidental" at best. If flagged, and I understand why it was, this should be a five yarder after the fact or just send the player off for a down.

If player disengages due to loss of helmet, I would assume he is classified as a defenseless player, with all the safety protections it provides.

Here's the worst part of that rule. If a player stops playing, the other 21 players on the field don't and you will get your clock cleaned. It's a dumb ass rule that makes dumb ass rule makers feel like they are doing something when they are actually endangering a player more. If a UT player would have blind side blocked Stallworth at that point, do you think they would have called a penalty on UT.........nope.

Reactions: DrMickey
Serious question , why do we have so many helmets coming off in the last 10 years or so not just in college. But the NFL too ? 70s, 80s, and 90s, I just dont remember it happening ever back then.

Serious question , why do we have so many helmets coming off in the last 10 years or so not just in college. But the NFL too ? 70s, 80s, and 90s, I just dont remember it happening ever back then.
I think that it must be hard to get a tight helmet fit with large amonts of hair. However, have not seen a study which would show that. Don't really care how hair is worn, but helmet fit is pretty important now with emphasis on head injuries.

The players don’t want them tightened. There is a tool they use and insert it in the side of the helmet that tightens it up. The chin strap could be a little tighter

Lol, I've never seen a 2 1/2 second pass play in my life until yesterday.
I didn't actually see the 1972 LSU-Ole Miss game in Tiger Stadium, but it is legendary for exactly the same reason. Bert Jones managed to get two passes off in four seconds, the second to Brad Davis for a 10-yard TD as time expired. Rusty Jackson’s PAT gave LSU a 17-16 victory.

Later, a sign appeared at the state line that read: "Entering Louisiana. Set your watch back four seconds."

The sad thing about his play is he kind of fell on a pile so it wasn't like he was chasing down a guy. What does a lineman do when there helmet comes off, throw up a white flag so they don't get hit?

There should be a team rule that players have short hair. Players with that much hair and don't keep their chin strap tight are costing us yards. All that hair makes it more likely your helmet will come off.

I get that the rule is for player safety, but like Muschamp said it should be up to the player "if he wants to stick his face in there." What I don't get is WTH is it a 15 yard penalty and automatic 1st down? That seems outrageously excessive imho.
And why there was no flag on the UT OL that knocked his helmet off. If nothing else it should have been a hands to the face call and offsetting.

The penalty seems pretty harsh for playing without a helmet, but the call is an obvious one that has to be called, no judgement at all, kid was playing and his helmet was laying on the ground. The UT player did knock it off, but why play with a helmet that easy to come off in the first place, Maybe kids have to wear them looser because of all the hair, but helmets getting knocked off is becoming more common.

The penalty seems pretty harsh for playing without a helmet, but the call is an obvious one that has to be called, no judgement at all, kid was playing and his helmet was laying on the ground. The UT player did knock it off, but why play with a helmet that easy to come off in the first place, Maybe kids have to wear them looser because of all the hair, but helmets getting knocked off is becoming more common.
Sooo, you expect a player that's been trained & brainwashed all his years of playing to go full bore to get to the QB at any cost on a passing down that's whooping an OL butt and has the QB in his sights who's only 2 steps away from him with all his momentum is going forward when the OL rips his helmet off at the last second to just flop to the ground like rag doll and curl up in the fetal position?

I doubt many ever will in that moment.

If they're gonna stick with the 15 yards & automatic 1st down penalty they need to make it a dead ball foul, blow the whistle and stop the play.

My helmet never came off.. When I took off my helmet, it felt like my ears were going to come off at the same time...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT