ADVERTISEMENT

TCU OC to Clemson?

Clemson's Board has posted a 4:05 pm ET meeting Friday to approve an assistant coach contract (it's Riley). Source tells that Garrett Riley is arriving tonight in Clemson.

This board would flip out to pay an OC that much.

But. What for it. All of sudden Tanner and Beamer sucks for not paying him to come here 😎

ASTBA.

I’m guessing they didn’t like getting beat by the Cocks at home. Also. So much for that higher within experiment. Dc and spiller are next.

Clemson and their BOT are clearly willing to let Dabo to do what it takes to win. If I were a Clemson fan- I would be extremely happy about this. To fire your OC and hire a stud of an OC in the same day is a boss move.

If I were god over USC- AD Tanner would reassigned to the roll of the Cocky mascot and the board of trustees would be revamped. Beamer would have what he needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClemDent
Clemson and Dabo are clearly willing to do what it takes to win. If I were a Clemson fan- I would be extremely happy about this. To fire your OC and hire a stud of an OC in the same day is a boss move.
You are correct “ boss move “!! Dabo initiated paying coordinators 7 figures in CF with Chad Morris! That move by Dabo and Clemson back then is a big reason for Clemson success in the last decade concerning coaching hires! Supposedly this was quietly done meaning social media and the Lot of them didn’t have a clue about both the firing and hiring that took place today until today = “ Boss Move “ by itself!!

Reactions: TeamPlayer
1975, 1984, 2009-2013 - all over again in Pickens county.

Whatever it takes boys $$$$ and guess what?

The NCAA is neutered.

Reactions: roosterbell
Isn't that the goal?

Better to have a good OC for 1-2 years instead of a bad one for 2-4 years?
If you read something critical in my response about his skill, then you misunderstood. I think he is a good hire for them. Just saying he will be a short-termer.

He'll help them win a bunch of games in that ACC gauntlet. Oh wait. They were already doing that.

2 or 3 seasons is worth it regardless!! Clemson didn’t win their 2 NC with Chad Morris has their OC. Chad did lay the foundation though!!
I'm sure you hope Riley has more success against us than Chad Morris did.

Last edited:
I'm sure you hope Briles has more success against us than Chad Morris did.
I’m going to leave this alone! Spurrier or Chad Morris are no longer coaching at either school! You and I both know the history of this rival and the ceiling height for both schools! I will say last year game vs you guys was the nail in the coffin for Dabo and Co along with Tennessee in the bowl game offensively! We go from winning 30 -0 the year before against you guys with a below 60% completion rate for the year QB and this past year lost by one point with the same QB who completed only 29% of his throws with us running over 200 yards! Y’all won this past year because you earned it. That lost was on coaching for us Regardless and I believe is a fraction for what happened today! I don’t know how well Garret Riley will be for Clemson! I do know Dabo and Clemson can recruit the jimmy and joes and will spend top dollar on coordinators needed to get us back to being #1 at year end! Even with the NiL and the transfer portal “ which is for the birds “ Clemson has a chance vs others because of it cultural and success it’s had! Peter Woods for this year class is an example of both talent and NIL success as an early enrollee!!

Last edited:
2 or 3 seasons is worth it regardless!! Clemson didn’t win their 2 NC with Chad Morris as their OC. Chad did lay the foundation though!!
As I said before, he is a "good hire" for you guys. He fielded a good offense at TCU this season. And he fielded even better (excellent) offenses at his prior job at SMU. So a sincere congratulations on a good hire. You should be excited and looking forward to 2023.

One thing I would say in response to what you said: I'd be careful about declaring a "ceiling height" for Carolina. I'm not sure what the "ceiling height" is under Beamer. Under Spurrier, SOS proved that Carolina can field nationally Top 10 teams. He did it 3 times, including finishing 4th in the nation. No one can deny that Beamer overachieved expectations in each of his two seasons at Carolina. The experts said Carolina would win 4 games in his first season. He won 7. The experts predicted Carolina would win 5 games this past season. He won 8. It took Spurrier 6 seasons to produce a Top 25 team at Carolina. It took Beamer just 2 seasons to accomplish that. And Spurrier had the advantage of inheriting a "Lou Holtz" program, whereas Beamer inherited a "Will Muschamp" program. And a huge difference between Spurrier and Beamer is this: Unlike Spurrier, when it comes to recruiting, Beamer loves to recruit. And Beamer is a lot younger than SOS was when he was here. Consequently, we are excited about the future of Carolina football.

As I said before, he is a "good hire" for you guys. He fielded a good offense at TCU this season. And he fielded even better (excellent) offenses at his prior job at SMU. So a sincere congratulations on a good hire. You should be excited and looking forward to 2023.

One thing I would say in response to what you said: I'd be careful about declaring a "ceiling height" for Carolina. I'm not sure what the "ceiling height" is under Beamer. Under Spurrier, SOS proved that Carolina can field nationally Top 10 teams. He did it 3 times, including finishing 4th in the nation. No one can deny that Beamer overachieved expectations in each of his two seasons at Carolina. The experts said Carolina would win 4 games in his first season. He won 7. The experts predicted Carolina would win 5 games this past season. He won 8. It took Spurrier 6 seasons to produce a Top 25 team at Carolina. It took Beamer just 2 seasons to accomplish that. And Spurrier had the advantage of inheriting a "Lou Holtz" program, whereas Beamer inherited a "Will Muschamp" program. And a huge difference between Spurrier and Beamer is this: Unlike Spurrier, when it comes to recruiting, Beamer loves to recruit. Consequently, we are excited about the future of Carolina football.
agreed...you never know what the "ceiling height" may be. If TCU can go 5-7 last year and get in the CFP this year, most any team can do the same. We have had two "exceeded expectations" years under Beamer and have reason to be excited for the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: gamecock stock
This board would flip out to pay an OC that much.

But. What for it. All of sudden Tanner and Beamer sucks for not paying him to come here 😎

ASTBA.
Aggie fans, a school with plenty of money, wonders how A&M wound up with Petrino and not Riley.

Aggie fans, a school with plenty of money, wonders how A&M wound up with Petrino and not Riley.

As much as Clemson is our rival, one has to admit, if your goal was to be a head coach, Clemson OC is a better (easier) path than a&m OC. Heck, the hc spot is more stable there too. If an OC goes to a&m, he may not get long to prove himself.

One thing I would say in response to what you said: I'd be careful about declaring a "ceiling height" for Carolina. I'm not sure what the "ceiling height" is under Beamer. Under Spurrier, SOS proved that Carolina can field nationally Top 10 teams. He did it 3 times, including finishing 4th in the nation. No one can deny that Beamer overachieved expectations in each of his two seasons at Carolina. The experts said Carolina would win 4 games in his first season. He won 7. The experts predicted Carolina would win 5 games this past season. He won 8. It took Spurrier 6 seasons to produce a Top 25 team at Carolina. It took Beamer just 2 seasons to accomplish that. And Spurrier had the advantage of inheriting a "Lou Holtz" program, whereas Beamer inherited a "Will Muschamp" program. And a huge difference between Spurrier and Beamer is this: Unlike Spurrier, when it comes to recruiting, Beamer loves to recruit. And Beamer is a lot younger than SOS was when he was here. Consequently, we are excited about the future of Carolina football.
You got a good point with the ceiling height for sure. To counter your point, Clemson ceiling height historically has always been higher regardless when it comes to winning championships and ultimately that’s why the game is played. I believe present day Clemson ceiling is way higher because of our recent history at winning championships. I do believe Shane Beamer at his age, his personality and drive to win, win big for UofSC is legit and the coach y’all need with the BOT you have and always have had. I believe what transpired yesterday for us is because our offensive had become stale schematically which greatly influences recruiting and what is going on around us in our league specifically Florida State and Miami and the coaching, recruiting that is taken place down there! Without a doubt though the lost to you guys was an offensive coaching mistake hands down and I would put y’all “ Shane Beamer “ in the what’s going on around us category! UofSC could win a championship but Clemson will win more championships and history has proven that, “ Ceiling Height “! Before “ it’s because of the conference we play in “ the citadel and App St isn’t in either of our conferences and Dabo’s quote “ it’s hard to win “ makes losing to either of those schools 100% correct.

probably because Jimbo wants that $$ coming to him and not the assistants maybe??
Jimbo is locked into his long-term huge contract, so I doubt he minds. They are paying Mike Elko $2.1 million as defensive coordinator. So I think they could afford Riley. I think Riley just didn't want to go to A&M because of last years disaster and the 5-8 record with 7 consecutive losses. The mercenary recruiting doesn't work out too well. You get kids just there for the money, not the program.

Jimbo is locked into his long-term huge contract, so I doubt he minds. They are paying Mike Elko $2.1 million as defensive coordinator. So I think they could afford Riley. I think Riley just didn't want to go to A&M because of last years disaster and the 5-8 record with 7 consecutive losses. The mercenary recruiting doesn't work out too well. You get kids just there for the money, not the program.
Very true...kids that are always open to the "highest bidder" are not invested in your program and the decision to leave comes very easily

You got a good point with the ceiling height for sure. To counter your point, Clemson ceiling height historically has always been higher regardless when it comes to winning championships and ultimately that’s why the game is played. I believe present day Clemson ceiling is way higher because of our recent history at winning championships. I do believe Shane Beamer at his age, his personality and drive to win, win big for UofSC is legit and the coach y’all need with the BOT you have and always have had. I believe what transpired yesterday for us is because our offensive had become stale schematically which greatly influences recruiting and what is going on around us in our league specifically Florida State and Miami and the coaching, recruiting that is taken place down there! Without a doubt though the lost to you guys was an offensive coaching mistake hands down and I would put y’all “ Shane Beamer “ in the what’s going on around us category! UofSC could win a championship but Clemson will win more championships and history has proven that, “ Ceiling Height “! Before “ it’s because of the conference we play in “ the citadel and App St isn’t in either of our conferences and Dabo’s quote “ it’s hard to win “ makes losing to either of those schools 100% correct.
I don't disagree with your point on the past. I'm just saying that Beamer's first 2 seasons provide a lot more promise than any other previous Carolina HFC based on the on-the-field results and his enjoying going out to recruit. Previously, we had Head Coaches (Carlen, Morrison, Holtz, Spurrier) who could occasionally get some blue chip recruits. No question about that. BUT overall, they were "indifferent" towards recruiting and leaned on their "coaching" skills. Then we had some coaches (Bell, Woods, Scott and Muschamp) who could not coach worth a lick. Based on his first 2 seasons, Beamer certainly has the coaching chops (as his Dad Frank did). But, unlike Carlen, Morrison, Holtz and Spurrier, he looks to be a "go-getter" in recruiting. This looks to be the first time Carolina has ever had a HFC who can do both "coach" and "recruit". I can't say that Carolina has achieved much in the past, except notably in the Spurrier years (but, he was not able to maintain it, probably due to his age). BUT, as they say in the investment world: "Past performance is not indicative of future results". Conference championship-wise, it certainly will be difficult for Carolina to win the SEC. No dispute there. And if Clemson was in the SEC, it would be tougher for you guys to win the conference than in the ACC. We have a much, much better chance of making the future 12-team playoff than winning the SEC. In fact, I saw something to the effect that if the 12-team playoff structure was around when we had Spurrier, we would have made the 12-team playoff 2 times. For that reason, I am "over-the-moon" that the playoffs will be expanded to 12 (NOTE: I see talk about expanding that to 16). For that reason, my goal for Beamer will be to make the 12-team playoffs in the future. I believe that's VERY doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiger4211
Then we had some coaches (Bell, Woods, Scott and Muschamp) who could not coach worth a lick. Based on his first 2 seasons, Beamer certainly has the coaching chops (as his Dad Frank did).

Do you not feel illogical arguing the Muschamp couldn't coach a lick, but the immediate sentence after arguing that a Beamer can coach even though he had the same exact record as Mushcamp after two seasons?

Reactions: GreatestCock
I don't disagree with your point on the past. I'm just saying that Beamer's first 2 seasons provide a lot more promise than any other previous Carolina HFC based on the on-the-field results and his enjoying going out to recruit. Previously, we had Head Coaches (Carlen, Morrison, Holtz, Spurrier) who could occasionally get some blue chip recruits. No question about that. BUT overall, they were "indifferent" towards recruiting and leaned on their "coaching" skills. Then we had some coaches (Bell, Woods, Scott and Muschamp) who could not coach worth a lick. Based on his first 2 seasons, Beamer certainly has the coaching chops (as his Dad Frank did). But, unlike Carlen, Morrison, Holtz and Spurrier, he looks to be a "go-getter" in recruiting. This looks to be the first time Carolina has ever had a HFC who can do both "coach" and "recruit". I can't say that Carolina has achieved much in the past, except notably in the Spurrier years (but, he was not able to maintain it, probably due to his age). BUT, as they say in the investment world: "Past performance is not indicative of future results".
I think the hard part right now, and this goes for Clemson as well, is the success of the schools around. For South Carolina, having to compete right now with Georgia, Clemson, Tennessee all within a couple hours is tough. Transfer portal has helped that in some sense. I do think Beamer is the right kind of coach for South Carolina. Will be interesting to see how he continues to progress over the next 2-3 years. He set the bar high for himself the first couple years with overachievement.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Do you not feel illogical arguing the Muschamp couldn't coach a lick, but the immediate sentence after arguing that a Beamer can coach even though he had the same exact record as Mushcamp after two seasons?
Did Muschamp finish in the Top 25 in any season he was at Carolina? NO. And his predecessor was Steve Spurrier. Beamer's predecessor was Will Muschamp.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT