ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M

wentzel25

Feb 13, 2006
Was just cruising the team rankings, and what Jimbo's doing is really impressive. The sleeping giant may finally awaken there and make the West even tougher for Saban.

Ummm . . . you do realize it makes it harder for us as well. There's that little thing called "permanent cross-division rival."

You mean the guy who was at premier program in ACC, where he only had to beat 1-2 quality teams per year to make playoffs and he ran program into ground? Not sold on Jimbo competing with Bama.
I'll agree. I just want to beat their butts. Jimbo won it all with FSU thanks to Winston.

Ummm . . . you do realize it makes it harder for us as well. There's that little thing called "permanent cross-division rival."
Not saying it's a good thing for us, our road is never going to be easy. Just think it's impressive; I personally thought Jimbo was done and would never live up to his FSU success, but so far he's put together a stellar class, and that's how it starts. Majority are Texas kids, too.

Not saying it's a good thing for us, our road is never going to be easy. Just think it's impressive; I personally thought Jimbo was done and would never live up to his FSU success, but so far he's put together a stellar class, and that's how it starts. Majority are Texas kids, too.
Yeah, not hard to put a stellar class together in Texas....on paper at least.

Reactions: Gradstudent
You mean the guy who was at premier program in ACC, where he only had to beat 1-2 quality teams per year to make playoffs and he ran program into ground? Not sold on Jimbo competing with Bama.

Ran the program into the ground? His recruiting wasn’t up to FSU standards the past couple of years, esp along the O line. But far from running a program into the ground. Dude won a national championship.

Reactions: wentzel25
Amazing that he can recruit 5 Stars at TAMU but hard a hard time recruiting his wife to stay away from Frat boys and Grad students in Talley .
This is why our "thumbs up" button should also offer a laugh emoji.

Saban is nearing the end. And they had their share of struggles under coaches who weren't him. The Bama which Jimbo and the rest of them have to get past in the future won't be this Bama.

Reactions: Jpcooper
All coaches win because of players. Saban won last year because of Tua. Swinney won the year before because of Watson.

Silly to diminish Fisher’s accomplishment because he recruited and developed an elite player.
Partly agree but do you think Chizik is an elite head coach because his Auburn team won it all in 2010 with Cam. Some qbs come along that understand and dominate the college game-Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Deshaun Watson. Fact is-having them on your team is a major advantage and you're more likely to win whenever they play.

Last edited:
Partly agree but do you think Chizik is an elite head coach because his Auburn team won it all in 2010 with Cam. Some qbs come along that understand and dominate the college game-Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Deshaun Watson. Fact is-having them on your team is a major advantage and you're more likely to win whenever they play.

Chizik recruited (outbid Miss State) Newton, so he gets credit. You could make this argument with almost anyone.

Mack Brown never won a national championship without Vince Young. Is Brown a scrub coach who just got lucky because he had Young?

Chizik recruited (outbid Miss State) Newton, so he gets credit. You could make this argument with almost anyone.

Mack Brown never won a national championship without Vince Young. Is Brown a scrub coach who just got lucky because he had Young?
Here's a famous quote from Spurrier at Duke when told that UNC coach Mack Brown claimed he disrespected North Carolina's field.

"Why? I've got a better record on that field than he does".

How many ACC titles did Brown win?

Here's a famous quote from Spurrier at Duke when told that UNC coach Mack Brown claimed he disrespected North Carolina's field.

"Why? I've got a better record on that field than he does".

How many ACC titles did Brown win?

So Brown is a scrub coach now too? Spurrier only won a single national championship too, does that make him a bad coach like Brown, Chizik, and Fisher?

I’ll give you Chizik, sort of. If he was highly thought of, he would likely still be working.

Fisher is a helluva recruiter and offensive/QB coach.

I am a little surprised by A&M's class as well. But I still am curious to see how it plays out over the next 5 years or so. First year coach, typical excitement surrounding that. But looks like Texas is getting much better and they are the traditional recruiting powerhouse in that state. Since we now play the Aggies every year, all Gamecocks should want to the Longhorns to have success....as well as other TX teams like Tech, TCU, Baylor, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT