ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and OU release joint statement (first official acknowledgement of anything)

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001

Joint Statement from The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Oklahoma​

Two color orange horizontal divider

The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Oklahoma notified the Big 12 Athletic Conference today that they will not be renewing their grants of media rights following expiration in 2025. Providing notice to the Big 12 at this point is important in advance of the expiration of the conference’s current media rights agreement. The universities intend to honor their existing grant of rights agreements. However, both universities will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving collegiate athletics landscape as they consider how best to position their athletics programs for the future.

https://news.utexas.edu/2021/07/26/...xas-at-austin-and-the-university-of-oklahoma/

Interesting discussion on a couple of the B1G boards. If Texas is off the table, then go after TAMU and Kansas. The feeling on Kansas is if this results in the new P4 leaving the NCAA, the basketball tourney payout would increase significantly and having Kansas would more than pull its weight. Just a different take that I hadn't thought about.

But they haven't given up on the B1G offering Texas and Texas accepting.

UVA is also being mentioned a lot.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion on a couple of the B1G boards. If Texas is off the table, then go after TAMU and Kansas. The feeling on Kansas is if this results in the new P4 leaving the NCAA, the basketball tourney payout would increase significantly and having Kansas would more than pull its weight. Just a different take that I hadn't thought about.

Isn't UVA's problem that the ACC grant of rights is iron clad and lasts until the mid-2030s? No one can get out of the ACC.

I have heard Kansas is talking with the Big Ten. I doubt A&M is interested. They are too SEC. I would bet Missouri before A&M.

Isn't UVA's problem that the ACC grant of rights is iron clad and lasts until the mid-2030s? No one can get out of the ACC.

I have heard Kansas is talking with the Big Ten. I doubt A&M is interested. They are too SEC. I would bet Missouri before A&M.
Yes regarding UVA, but they dealt with it with UMD also. For them at this point it is ALL speculation as they haven't heard anything from the top....and as a result are getting a bit restless.

Yes regarding UVA, but they dealt with it with UMD also. For them at this point it is ALL speculation as they haven't heard anything from the top....and as a result are getting a bit restless.
I thought Maryland got out before signing the Grant of Rights.

Reactions: bhp bear

There is literally zero chance A&M withdraws from the SEC.

I think Virginia would be a good fit for Big Ten

Reactions: rogue cock
Most times i would agree but that will not happen.
They probably wouldn't leave but it may be for reasons other than money.

I say that because it would be very hard for a University to turn down a share of the $10B in research money that the BTAA offers. And we are talking Universities making these decisions, not their athletic departments.

Chasing after the wind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT