ADVERTISEMENT

Texas lifts mask mandate and is wide open

Well I’d rather breathe fresh air too. Masks are stupid.
I breathe fresh air barefaced. Just not when I go into a store and when I'm in close proximity to others (with the exception of my wife).

Masks are a tool; they can be used wisely, or poorly. This is an example of an opportunity to exercise our freedoms in a responsible manner.

I wonder how this thread will end up. 🤣

tenor.gif

locks.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony
Why do I get the feeling the governor of Texas is using this mandate as way to take the pressure off the fallout from the Energy Crisis ? (diversion)
Texas is less than 8% vaccinated, with J & J vaccine rolling out it's product, would seem to make more sense to just wait another 6-8 weeks.

Actually according to the Governor's office Texas is up to 11.6% of the state now (with at least one shot) and the lifting of the ban isn't until next Wednesday and hope to be closing in on 14% by that date. [The difference in data is often numbers of shots, 2 shots for 90+% effectiveness and 1 shot for 50%]. Also 33% of those over age 60 and are the most at risk have had both shots. Add in the quarter million who have had COVID and recovered and there are a lot of immune people. Understand that vaccines are not permitted for those age 16 and under and that makes up 23% of the state.

Why do I get the feeling the governor of Texas is using this mandate as way to take the pressure off the fallout from the Energy Crisis ? (diversion)
Texas is less than 8% vaccinated, with J & J vaccine rolling out it's product, would seem to make more sense to just wait another 6-8 weeks.
Because Cali has a mandate and has been locked down for a year and they have the worst numbers. Recall Fauci initially said masks don’t work before one of his many flip flops. Maybe Abbott is actually following the science and realizes this is America. Let freedom ring.

Because Cali has a mandate and has been locked down for a year and they have the worst numbers. Recall Fauci initially said masks don’t work before one of his many flip flops. Maybe Abbott is actually following the science and realizes this is America. Let freedom ring.
This reply is all over the place. Your brining in California, Fauci, and now masks. It would help to stay on point.

Actually according to the Governor's office Texas is up to 11.6% of the state now (with at least one shot) and the lifting of the ban isn't until next Wednesday and hope to be closing in on 14% by that date. [The difference in data is often numbers of shots, 2 shots for 90+% effectiveness and 1 shot for 50%]. Also 33% of those over age 60 and are the most at risk have had both shots. Add in the quarter million who have had COVID and recovered and there are a lot of immune people. Understand that vaccines are not permitted for those age 16 and under and that makes up 23% of the state.
I can't speak to where Abbot is getting his numbers, but per CBS affiliate in Austin, Texas currently ranks #48 in vaccination rate.
Waiting 1 week hardly seems prudent. My question was and still remains, why the sudden rush ?

Reactions: Gamekem
You do realize South Carolina has a higher case rate per capita than Texas, so using that logic U of H was probably more concerned about us coming into town.

I never used per capita to come up with any “ logic” just simply pointing out the fact that the last time we went to Texas there were issues, which is a fact and a fair point.

Reactions: ShannonL
Texas is a huge state so there is automatic social distancing but also has some huge cities. While i want to be rid of that damned mask as much as anybody, i am not certain we have reached her immunity. As an old fart, i get my second dose next week so i will have protection. But because i interact with those who may be at risk, i will wear the mask for a while longer for their benefit. It’s a small consideration on my part.

some excellent points raised here. Thanks for keeping it civil. We are all in this together. Be well my friends

Give me responsible exercise of liberty.
Just another word for freedom to live your own life without fear of the gov. or gov. control that others flee from to get to the US. When the gov. fears the people that's liberty, when the people fear the gov. that tyranny. Being able to make your own decisions without the gov. deciding for you is what the country was founded on and it works. Being responsible with your decisions and actions is important but having them mandated to the point it makes no sense anymore is harmful to our society. It's the give them an inch rule.

Just another word for freedom to live your own life without fear of the gov. or gov. control that others flee from to get to the US. When the gov. fears the people that's liberty, when the people fear the gov. that tyranny. Being able to make your own decisions without the gov. deciding for you is what the country was founded on and it works. Being responsible with your decisions and actions is important but having them mandated to the point it makes no sense anymore is harmful to our society. It's the give them an inch rule.
Indeed it is a balance between responsible exercise of freedom and government intrusion. As an example, just because some local laws do not forbid brandishing firearms in public does not mean it's "okay" to brandish them.

And yes, I like the concept of government fearing people exercising liberty in a responsible manner. Government also fears people exercising liberty in an irresponsible manner, as do I.

Indeed it is a balance between responsible exercise of freedom and government intrusion. As an example, just because some local laws do not forbid brandishing firearms in public does not mean it's "okay" to brandish them.

And yes, I like the concept of government fearing people exercising liberty in a responsible manner. Government also fears people exercising liberty in an irresponsible manner, as do I.
I don't equate guns with masks unless somebody's robbing a bank.

Texas is a huge state so there is automatic social distancing but also has some huge cities. While i want to be rid of that damned mask as much as anybody, i am not certain we have reached her immunity. As an old fart, i get my second dose next week so i will have protection. But because i interact with those who may be at risk, i will wear the mask for a while longer for their benefit. It’s a small consideration on my part.

some excellent points raised here. Thanks for keeping it civil. We are all in this together. Be well my friends
No need as new studies are showing you can not transmit the virus after the second shot.

So I suppose you are against open carry?

Congrats on getting the vaccine. Man I’m glad you still wear the mask for others. I hope others will follow your lead. Always try to keep it civil. We are all Gamecocks (well most of us anyway).

I ditch the mask outside if I’m not around others. I am always wearing indoors. Hoping that by the end of the summer, masks will be a thing of the past for everyone and not just the far right.

I did see where Merck has teamed up with Johnson and Johnson. I believe Covid will be in the rear view mirror soon for those that choose to get vaccinated if they’ll hold out a little longer. Now for the ones that don’t, that’s a whole different story....

So I suppose you are against open carry?
To my way of thinking, open carry and brandishing are two different things. Law enforcement, in effect, practices open carry, but they don't wave guns around unless provoked.

Thus, actually, I'm not against open carry. I'm very much in favour of those who wish to open carry do so in a responsible manner.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
We are starting to resemble a dictatorship drunk on power. Dictatorships are inherently paranoid and I have never seen a more paranoid govt than what we have now. Fences around the capitol and a national guard patrolling while the party in power wanting that to continue as long as possible... not to mention an executive branch issuing a record number of executive orders even though its party controls the house and senate. It seems We the People matter not and that has been well planned.

To my way of thinking, open carry and brandishing are two different things. Law enforcement, in effect, practices open carry, but they don't wave guns around unless provoked.

Thus, actually, I'm not against open carry. I'm very much in favour of those who wish to open carry do so in a responsible manner.
Open carry and brandishing are two very different things by definition, not just to your way of thinking.

I can't speak to where Abbot is getting his numbers, but per CBS affiliate in Austin, Texas currently ranks #48 in vaccination rate.
Waiting 1 week hardly seems prudent. My question was and still remains, why the sudden rush ?

Texas has a larger share of population at age 16 or under than almost any other state (23%). A state like South Carolina is probably about 19%. They can't be vaccinated. Texas always ranks poorly on things like infant mortality etc, despite fine hospital systems. The reason is so much border area with border permeability. Take out the area within 100 miles of the border and the numbers would look quite different. There is no way to control vaccinations for someone living in El Paso one week and Juarez the next, or vice versa, same for Laredo and Nuevo Laredo.

I don't think his actions have much to do with the ice storms, as he had no control over ERCOT which is shouldering the blame (mass resignations). Instead, it is pressure from conservatives who see Florida, Mississippi without the bans and just long for the world before COVID and at least pretend COVID no longer exists due to the magic bullet of vaccinations.

Reactions: Evil_Incarnate
Texas has a larger share of population at age 16 or under than almost any other state (23%). A state like South Carolina is probably about 19%. They can't be vaccinated. Texas always ranks poorly on things like infant mortality etc, despite fine hospital systems. The reason is so much border area with border permeability. Take out the area within 100 miles of the border and the numbers would look quite different. There is no way to control vaccinations for someone living in El Paso one week and Juarez the next, or vice versa, same for Laredo and Nuevo Laredo.

I don't think his actions have much to do with the ice storms, as he had no control over ERCOT which is shouldering the blame (mass resignations). Instead, it is pressure from conservatives who see Florida, Mississippi without the bans and just long for the world before COVID and at least pretend COVID no longer exists due to the magic bullet of vaccinations.
Regardless of where the pressure comes from, we appear to be in agreement that he is bowing to pressure from outside forces and rushing into decisions that may not be in the best interest of his constituents.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Unless the governor was unaware or had forgotten that the leftist dominated media is always ready to pounce with criticisms of a Republican administration, it seems unlikely this was done as a diversion. If it was, it would certainly be the least diversionary diversion in the history of diversions.

Well I’d rather breathe fresh air too. Masks are stupid.
Amen brother! I routinely go into businesses in SC that do not require masks and when talking with the owners they say they haven’t experienced any problems. Many patrons say they frequent those businesses because of the non-mask opportunity to shop. But hey, if you feel like a mask protects you , by all means wear one wherever you go.

Last edited:
It is interesting that none of the states felt the need to do all of this prior to now. Its not like anything has changed with the virus outside that doing this now makes it look like you are thumbing your nose at the current administration.

Kind of like the timing of all the school talk now that there are only a couple months left in this school year when a few months ago it just wasn’t much of a priority.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
It is interesting that none of the states felt the need to do all of this prior to now. Its not like anything has changed with the virus outside that doing this now makes it look like you are thumbing your nose at the current administration.

Kind of like the timing of all the school talk now that there are only a couple months left in this school year when a few months ago it just wasn’t much of a priority.
The media may not have seen it as a priority until now, but trust me, it's been very much the talk among teachers, school administrators, parents, and students. More so than anything else.

The media may not have seen it as a priority until now, but trust me, it's been very much the talk among teachers, school administrators, parents, and students. More so than anything else.

It’s ironic the state house is about to retro actively give teachers their step increase they are owed by the state. They probably have a good idea how many school employees will walk at the end of this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT