ADVERTISEMENT

Thank You FreddieB

BigWillieCock

Gold Member
Sep 14, 2007
I’d like to sort of tag on to FreddieB’s very thoughtful debate thread on the gun problem. Honestly, I was surprised by how civil the thread stayed, I expected so much worse due to all the rancor on such topics not only on this site, but in our country in general. Seriously, bravo to all. So many different opinions, but also a lot of civility. We need more of that if we as a nation are to rebuild our fractured society.

That said, in the spirit of FreddieB’s post, I’d like to point out an observation I made while reading through the 15+ pages.

Whether on this forum or another, whether on social media or mass media, what happened to civility? The digital age is what happened.

I have seen some truly horrible posts on this forum and others. I have seen idiotic arguments from right wingers, left wingers and supposed middle of the roaders. Sometimes civility is lacking and more often real hard facts are lacking. In either case the offender just moves on with no repercussions due to the anonymity of it all.

Once upon a time, say roughly 25 years ago, controversial topics had to be discussed in person. It is my observation that we are all less likely to troll or to make up random facts when in person. Maybe it’s sociability or maybe it’s getting embarrassed for being a jackass in person is worse than being embarrassed behind a handle.

I am a business owner that deals directly with the public. We have 7 locations with 7 completely different demographics. Some of our customers are way inside the one percent. Others are teachers and truck drivers. Some pull in driving literally a Ferrari and others in a 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass held together with bubble gum and paper clips. Every race, nationality, gender, non gender and age group is represented.

Recently though my wife and I have noticed that despite the varying demographic differences we are noticing some not so great similarities that didn’t exist 5 years ago.

Rich or poor, black or white, young or old, rude and nasty behavior is on a hockey stick type rise. Customers we have known for years have recently become intolerable. Where once there was civility and understanding there is now detachment and hostility bubbling under the surface.

I’m amazed at how fast it has happened which is maybe why I was also amazed by the relative civility in the thread started by FreddieB. Maybe it’s because of the respect everyone has for FreddieB.

I guess all that is a long winded way of saying can we just have FreddieB be the OP on everything and get more civil discussion?

Social media has certainly caused the rise for two main reasons:

1. Everyone can spill their thoughts without regard of facts (in many cases) and expect everyone to believe it.
2. Keyboard hackers who would never say such things in a live debate.

And, it has led some people to be more apt to react. Thus, loss of civility (on both sides).

Social media has certainly caused the rise for two main reasons:

1. Everyone can spill their thoughts without regard of facts (in many cases) and expect everyone to believe it.
2. Keyboard hackers who would never say such things in a live debate.

And, it has led some people to be more apt to react. Thus, loss of civility (on both sides).

Excellent point.

I will add 3. Using point 1 & 2 these same people can become “influencers” and be both rich and famous.

A triple whammy.

Great points. My 2 cents. I’m a sports fan. I don’t want politic to be a part of my sports. But it is . I don’t want to “have” to look at skin color to decide if its relevant in supporting or cheering. 2 people playing is 2 people playing. Not color against color. But today it’s now one side or another. .

anyway. My point. Now that teams are demanding their voices be heard - I will choose my teams accordingly.

to be honest. For the 1st time in pulling for USC I didn’t care who won. I was torn between team and politics being injected. . Once the Platforms took center stage. I tuned out. No longer interested. For myself. I moved on to baseball. - not mlb. I’ll no longer support their decisions. How can UGA and braves play full schedules but one more game can’t be played. Btw. Will any stadium in ga. Allow u to pick up tickets without an I’d ? If so where. ? The line will be the longer
I’ll choose my right beliefs 1st - evveytine. Go team

I bet they will be able to give you water if it is hot and the line is long to pick up your tickets...

Reactions: section907
There was nothing civil about that thread. It was mostly posters being intellectually dishonest or peddling pseudo-science.

The intentional dishonesty and only caring about oneself epitomized the problem you discussed regarding your customers.

I bet they will be able to give you water if it is hot and the line is long to pick up your tickets...
They probably wouldn’t be thrilled if scalpers or even stubhub salesman were handing out drinks and happened to persuade them to buy their tickets instead while they were in line

A lot of people raise eyebrows at the handing out food and water provision, but it’s just to stop people from swaying votes. It’s the same reason groups can’t hand out fliers or campaign materials too close to a precinct

Reactions: Cybercock
I’d like to sort of tag on to FreddieB’s very thoughtful debate thread on the gun problem. Honestly, I was surprised by how civil the thread stayed, I expected so much worse due to all the rancor on such topics not only on this site, but in our country in general. Seriously, bravo to all. So many different opinions, but also a lot of civility. We need more of that if we as a nation are to rebuild our fractured society.

That said, in the spirit of FreddieB’s post, I’d like to point out an observation I made while reading through the 15+ pages.

Whether on this forum or another, whether on social media or mass media, what happened to civility? The digital age is what happened.

I have seen some truly horrible posts on this forum and others. I have seen idiotic arguments from right wingers, left wingers and supposed middle of the roaders. Sometimes civility is lacking and more often real hard facts are lacking. In either case the offender just moves on with no repercussions due to the anonymity of it all.

Once upon a time, say roughly 25 years ago, controversial topics had to be discussed in person. It is my observation that we are all less likely to troll or to make up random facts when in person. Maybe it’s sociability or maybe it’s getting embarrassed for being a jackass in person is worse than being embarrassed behind a handle.

I am a business owner that deals directly with the public. We have 7 locations with 7 completely different demographics. Some of our customers are way inside the one percent. Others are teachers and truck drivers. Some pull in driving literally a Ferrari and others in a 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass held together with bubble gum and paper clips. Every race, nationality, gender, non gender and age group is represented.

Recently though my wife and I have noticed that despite the varying demographic differences we are noticing some not so great similarities that didn’t exist 5 years ago.

Rich or poor, black or white, young or old, rude and nasty behavior is on a hockey stick type rise. Customers we have known for years have recently become intolerable. Where once there was civility and understanding there is now detachment and hostility bubbling under the surface.

I’m amazed at how fast it has happened which is maybe why I was also amazed by the relative civility in the thread started by FreddieB. Maybe it’s because of the respect everyone has for FreddieB.

I guess all that is a long winded way of saying can we just have FreddieB be the OP on everything and get more civil discussion?
I think the pandemic and all of its masks/no masks, shots/no shots, do this/ do that, Don’t Do that, and don’t do this either, Faucy/Falsy etc etc etc etc along with being tied down, locked in, locked out have caused peoples sociability to be compromised and stretched to the breaking point. Americans are FREE PEOPLE and do not want any group, ANY government, any Judge, any Politician telling them what to do, when to do it and how to do it and WHERE to do it.
POW! Does that cover it all?

They probably wouldn’t be thrilled if scalpers or even stubhub salesman were handing out drinks and happened to persuade them to buy their tickets instead while they were in line

A lot of people raise eyebrows at the handing out food and water provision, but it’s just to stop people from swaying votes. It’s the same reason groups can’t hand out fliers or campaign materials too close to a precinct
Do they still raise eyebrows when realizing that closing voting precincts and shortening hours (thus making lines/waits long) in “certain areas” is a well known voter suppression tactic? The water and food provided is a response. If such basic decency sways anyone’s vote, then maybe GOP thugs should adopt a different platform.

Your points are well taken. And, they are confirmed by the posts that have followed. Folks have turned your thoughtful post into reasons to argue and disagree.

I was really struck by your descriptions of long time customers who have have become hostile and detached. The land has become one of people who are afraid they are being shorted one way or another. Their response is to use anger and resentment to push that concern. And, it's not just a few nor the "other guys." It's everyone. It's extremely sad, and scary.

We all used to agree on the same basic goal but disagreed on how to get there.
Nowadays the goal isnt even the same.
When you have a group of peoole who basically want to tear the country down then yes hostility will arise.
I used to be able to have a rational conversation with those that I disagree with. Now I don't have the time to waste on it because its impossible. I also have zero respect for them because they desire to destroy this country.

When you have a group of peoole who basically want to tear the country down then yes hostility will arise.
I used to be able to have a rational conversation with those that I disagree with. Now I don't have the time to waste on it because its impossible. I also have zero respect for them because they desire to destroy this country.

I agree with you and the sad part is there are so many fractions of our nation that have no interest in uniting our country, it's pathetic. I just don't see a path to a united country anytime soon.

Last edited:
There was nothing civil about that thread. It was mostly posters being intellectually dishonest or peddling pseudo-science.

The intentional dishonesty and only caring about oneself epitomized the problem you discussed regarding your customers.
Well, civil in relation to others was my point.

I do agree with your second point.

Your points are well taken. And, they are confirmed by the posts that have followed. Folks have turned your thoughtful post into reasons to argue and disagree.

I was really struck by your descriptions of long time customers who have have become hostile and detached. The land has become one of people who are afraid they are being shorted one way or another. Their response is to use anger and resentment to push that concern. And, it's not just a few nor the "other guys." It's everyone. It's extremely sad, and scary.
So well said. We just had an incident this week where a customer was upset their product didn’t arrive on time. Well beyond our control as shipping has been playing catch-up from the Suez fiasco.

The lady, in her 60s and old enough to know better, completely blew up our store manager and another employee.

I don’t accept that type of treatment of our staff. So I met with her. She started in again and I asked her to leave. She then was yelling and screaming she’s going to tell her friends to avoid us and was going to ruin our business.

I told her that’s fine, in fact I’ll call them for you because if they are anything like you I don’t want them as customers. At that point she said we (me and the two black women she originally berated) were racist.

Now this lady has been a customer forever and we’ve actually screwed up a time or two. In those instances we made it right and all was good. But now we are incompetent racists.

What a difference a year makes.

EXACTLY!!!!

For 20 years I loved, loved, loved having debates with friends of different persuasions, political or otherwise.

Rarely was anyone’s mind changed, but we all walked away smarter on the topic.

No one seems to want to be smarter on the topic anymore, whatever that topic may be.

So well said. We just had an incident this week where a customer was upset their product didn’t arrive on time. Well beyond our control as shipping has been playing catch-up from the Suez fiasco.

The lady, in her 60s and old enough to know better, completely blew up our store manager and another employee.

I don’t accept that type of treatment of our staff. So I met with her. She started in again and I asked her to leave. She then was yelling and screaming she’s going to tell her friends to avoid us and was going to ruin our business.

I told her that’s fine, in fact I’ll call them for you because if they are anything like you I don’t want them as customers. At that point she said we (me and the two black women she originally berated) were racist.

Now this lady has been a customer forever and we’ve actually screwed up a time or two. In those instances we made it right and all was good. But now we are incompetent racists.

What a difference a year makes.

Very dissapointing.

I'm retired but someone in a different arena than I worked just floated a great retirement gig to me the other day. Do I really want to get back out there? It's been six years. (When they realize that they will not offer it.) But, it's made me question if I could function professionally (employee relations based stuff) in a world six years older and much less understanding or orderly. I'm not sure.

Bingo

Do they still raise eyebrows when realizing that closing voting precincts and shortening hours (thus making lines/waits long) in “certain areas” is a well known voter suppression tactic? The water and food provided is a response. If such basic decency sways anyone’s vote, then maybe GOP thugs should adopt a different platform.
Wow repeat a lie right? no ones closing precincts early.actually if the area has a population over 300000 they stay open til 8...and those in line can have all the water they want except they can’t take it from someone with a pedojoe hat on or a Harris sux t shirt ...ignorance is bliss so you must be the happiest liberal on earth

Very dissapointing.

I'm retired but someone in a different arena than I worked just floated a great retirement gig to me the other day. Do I really want to get back out there? It's been six years. (When they realize that they will not offer it.) But, it's made me question if I could function professionally (employee relations based stuff) in a world six years older and much less understanding or orderly. I'm not sure
I never want to go back to work. These past 3 years have been great . I am even making more money now than when I was working .PS I did my share 45 years was enough.

Reactions: fowl_mood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT