ADVERTISEMENT

That loss to Syracuse should keep the Taters out of the final 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a particularly bold statement unless you add a "1 loss loser" of the SEC Championship game will not get in.
The loser of the SEC Championship game will not get in, even if undefeated going into the game. Period. End of statement. Is that bold enough for you?

Reactions: Lakecock1
The loser of the SEC Championship game will not get in, even if undefeated going into the game. Period. End of statement. Is that bold enough for you?
Quite a few of the experts disagree with your statement, as evidenced by what they were saying this weekend after Friday night. Especially with the other big losses in the other Power 5s this weekend. Many seem fairly confident that UGA and Bama could both make it in, especially if they meet up in ATL as 1 vs 2, and the game remains competitive.

Quite a few of the experts disagree with your statement, as evidenced by what they were saying this weekend after Friday night. Especially with the other big losses in the other Power 5s this weekend. Many seem fairly confident that UGA and Bama could both make it in, especially if they meet up in ATL as 1 vs 2, and the game remains competitive.
I heard that theory floated by one of the talking heads this past weekend. I don't think the committee will put two teams from the same conference in the playoffs if one of them is the loser of the SEC Championship game. If it happened I think it would be great for the league and the league needs for something good to happen. But I don't think the committee will oblige. They'll get their one-loss team from someplace else unless an undefeated team is available.

You're assuming Bama would beat UGA. If UGA wins, a one loss Bama gets in. Assuming, of course, UGA is undefeated. Bama would deserve a rematch not played in the state of Georgia.
Why does 1 loss Bama definitely get in over, say, Clemson? Clemson would have had the worst loss, but as of today, has multiple wins better than Bama's best. It's not as cut and dried as you might think. If it was up to the AP, sure, Bama is in. It's up to the CFP committee though.

Sure. That's bold enough. If both Bama and UGA enter the game undefeated, then I say both get in. Hopefully we beat Georgia and this conversation is void.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Why does 1 loss Bama definitely get in over, say, Clemson? Clemson would have had the worst loss, but as of today, has multiple wins better than Bama's best. It's not as cut and dried as you might think. If it was up to the AP, sure, Bama is in. It's up to the CFP committee though.

Yeah, even more so a committee would pick Bama. They will have rated Bama number 1 every week going into the SECCG. Are they all of sudden going to say Bama is not top 4 after a loss to undefeated UGA in Georgia? I don't think so. But, again, I doubt this scenario plays out. Too much football left.

Reactions: king ward
Yeah, even more so a committee would pick Bama. They will have rated Bama number 1 every week going into the SECCG. Are they all of sudden going to say Bama is not top 4 after a loss to undefeated UGA in Georgia? I don't think so. But, again, I doubt this scenario plays out. Too much football left.
You are correct. The higher a team is ranked when the mop flops, the better off they are.

Sure. That's bold enough. If both Bama and UGA enter the game undefeated, then I say both get in. Hopefully we beat Georgia and this conversation is void.
I am not so Sure a One loss UGA gets in, Maybe, but if Both go into that game Undefeated, Could be only undefeateds in the country, without a Doubt Both Get in if Georgia wins!! no way in hell they take a one loss taters (losing to Syracuse) over a 1 loss Bama, losing to the Then Number one team in the country..

I am not so Sure a One loss UGA gets in, Maybe, but if Both go into that game Undefeated, Could be only undefeateds in the country, without a Doubt Both Get..
I hope it sets up just that way. I'm just as certain that the loser of the SEC Championship game does NOT get in. You wouldn't have to chase me down if I were to be wrong.

If Bama kills UGA in the SEC Championship, I would think it would be tough for the committee to put UGA in the playoffs potentially facing Bama again. And if UGA did make it, they would more than likely be a 4 seed - meaning they would play bama first. I know the committee isn't supposed to worry about that but you know they do. Same reason they put Ohio St in vs Penn St last year. Ohio St is better for ratings. And you know ESPN is trying anything possible to help ratings.

If Bama kills UGA in the SEC Championship, I would think it would be tough for the committee to put UGA in the playoffs potentially facing Bama again. And if UGA did make it, they would more than likely be a 4 seed - meaning they would play bama first. I know the committee isn't supposed to worry about that but you know they do. Same reason they put Ohio St in vs Penn St last year. Ohio St is better for ratings. And you know ESPN is trying anything possible to help ratings.
That last consideration will prevail. People don't want to see two SEC teams in the playoffs when one of them lost their most recent game, even if that is their only loss to date.

Not true, others must lose, an undefeated bama, Washington, Penn State and tcu will not be out to tater tech unless one of them loses. Therefore they do not control their own destiny...
Like they always say in Pickens, They didnt lose to ´Cuse, they beat themselves and if they played ´Cuse 10 times they would win 9 of them.. Cuse lost to MTSU...

"We got our butts kicked, and we deserved it, and we earned it," Swinney said. "Let's just compliment Syracuse. There ain't no excuses. They had the same opportunity as we did. They just outcoached us and outplayed us and they earned it and we earned our butt whooping. There's no excuses."

How long before they do away with the conference championships so that there isn't any weirdness for the playoff committee to overcome?
There will always be weirdness for them to overcome, as long as there is a selection process to go through.

That last consideration will prevail. People don't want to see two SEC teams in the playoffs when one of them lost their most recent game, even if that is their only loss to date.

There are too many "what ifs" right now to make any definitive statements, IMO. For instance, If Notre Dame finishes with 1 loss, the committee would have to put UGA in the playoff to justify putting in the Irish. Neither would have a conference title and UGA beat Notre Dame head-to-head.

There are too many "what ifs" right now to make any definitive statements, IMO. For instance, If Notre Dame finishes with 1 loss, the committee would have to put UGA in the playoff to justify putting in the Irish. Neither would have a conference title and UGA beat Notre Dame head-to-head.
Yeah, but the committee would "take into account" that it was the first game of the season. They will also "take into account" that Clemson lost their QB in the game. Forgot what his name is.

In the particular scenario propounded at the beginning of the thread, I maintain that two SEC teams will not be in the playoffs if one of them loses the championship game. I'm not going beyond that.

I think this is the deciding factor plus the committee wouldn't want a rematch as part of the playoffs.

There are a lot of other variables to consider as the year goes on as well. RIght now the loss to Cuse looks bad but if they win out and finish 9-3 then the loss doesnt look as bad. Same goes for OU. If they win out but tOSU goes on to lose two more then there opening win doesnt look as strong. There is a ton that can happen between now and the end of the season.

I mean like since the playoff era started in 2014. I'm saying the game has changed.
But wouldn't you say there would be a GREATER possibility of 2 teams from the SEC (or any other conference for that matter) being selected for a field of 4 teams, than for a game involving just 2 teams?

You mean like in 2012 when LSU beat Alabama for the SEC Championship and then they played in the NC game?

LSU didn't beat Alabama for the SEC championship. (It was 2011, not 2012). They play in the same division. They beat Georgia in the title game. Also keep in mind, that was under the BCS system that involved computer rankings, vs. a selection committee now.

But wouldn't you say there would be a GREATER possibility of 2 teams from the SEC (or any other conference for that matter) being selected for a field of 4 teams, than for a game involving just 2 teams?
I'm not sure how the odds shake out when you have people involved in the process who possess vested interests. I know they all understand demographics, ratings, and money. But as I've said, I hope that, at the end of Championship Saturday, things stack up just the way they need to in order to test this theory (preempted only by our beating UGA). I want to see what they do. I think the SEC Championship game loser will not be playoff bound. I'd be delighted to be mistaken because it would be great for the league.

I think Georgia Tech will beat them with that triple option

Theres always a chance but i doubt it. The past two years they have had less than 100 yards rushing against us for the entire game. There were better with Justin Thomas running the offense then they are now. One thing I can credit Venables with is stopping the option much better than Steele did since hes been here. Even three years ago when we lost 28-6 the D only gave up one TD and two FGs. The others points came from Stoudt with two pick sixes and a fumble.

What if we or someone else were to beat Georgia, and they in turn beat an undefeated Alabama in the SEC championship. Does the committee keep both teams out? Both teams in?

That could be the ultimate mess for them with a bunch of 1 loss teams.

I think the best scenario for the SEC is for an undefeated UGA to beat an undefeated Bama team in overtime. Of course I hope we win every game, but the above scenario is not what Clemson wants to see.

What if we or someone else were to beat Georgia, and they in turn beat an undefeated Alabama in the SEC championship. Does the committee keep both teams out? Both teams in?

That could be the ultimate mess for them with a bunch of 1 loss teams.

A one loss SEC champ is in. No question. I guess you're asking would Bama also get in. It depends, I believe, if they had Bama ranked no.1 going into the game and if so, how long Bama was ranked no. 1. How could the committee justify dropping Bama out of the top 4 after a loss to UGA in Atlanta? Bama would have to play like crap. How often does that happen?

You're right. Five Top 15 at time of game, not necessarily final rankings. Either way, I do think their schedule will be strong enough to get them in if they’re 12-1

I don't think a team's rank at the time of a regular season game should play into the committee's decision. Only their rank, at the end of the season. So what if Clem plays 5 top 15 teams st the time of the game if they are unranked at the end of the season.

There are a lot of other variables to consider as the year goes on as well. RIght now the loss to Cuse looks bad but if they win out and finish 9-3 then the loss doesnt look as bad. Same goes for OU. If they win out but tOSU goes on to lose two more then there opening win doesnt look as strong. There is a ton that can happen between now and the end of the season.
Wait...if the Cuse wins out, doesn't that mean Clemson doesn't play in the ACC championship game? I thought Syracuse controlled their own destiny in that division.

Wait...if the Cuse wins out, doesn't that mean Clemson doesn't play in the ACC championship game? I thought Syracuse controlled their own destiny in that division.

I believe they do, but they still have to play @Miami, @FSU, @Louisville. There's probably at least one loss in there.

No need to worry about GA. They will have at least 1 loss if they make the SEC CG. We will beat GA.

I believe they do, but they still have to play @Miami, @FSU, @Louisville. There's probably at least one loss in there.
Oh, I think they will lose again....probably a few more times. Just trying to figure out the scenario presented presumably as a way that Clemson gets in the playoffs...don't think they can without playing in the CG.

Sure someone else has to lose, but 5 of the top 6 will play each other, so they WILL lose. All CU has to do is win out.

Again, it's not that simple. They need Syracuse to lose or they need a three way tie with NC State and Syracuse. They don't control their own destiny. But if they win out, no doubt they'll be in good position.

Reactions: rogue cock
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT