ADVERTISEMENT

That loss to Syracuse should keep the Taters out of the final 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
A one loss SEC champ is in. No question. I guess you're asking would Bama also get in. It depends, I believe, if they had Bama ranked no.1 going into the game and if so, how long Bama was ranked no. 1. How could the committee justify dropping Bama out of the top 4 after a loss to UGA in Atlanta? Bama would have to play like crap. How often does that happen?
I think it would be hard for anyone on the committee to argue that they were two of the best 4 teams in this scenario. That's as long as they're using fair judgement and unbiased opinions.

As long as Clemson is not in, I'll be satisfied.

Reactions: DarkCock
The loser of the SEC Championship game will not get in, even if undefeated going into the game. Period. End of statement. Is that bold enough for you?

I didn't realize you were clairvoyant but since you are, go ahead and tell us all what our final record is going to be this year so we can do away with the suspense. Imagine someone actually thinking that an SEC team could get into the 4 team playoff that way....I'm sure even if an undefeated Bama lost a real close SECX game to an undefeated UGA team they would have no chance, Ward told me so, end of statement.

Last edited:
Wait...if the Cuse wins out, doesn't that mean Clemson doesn't play in the ACC championship game? I thought Syracuse controlled their own destiny in that division.

Right now NC State leads the division. If both Clemson beats NC state(assuming State wins their other games) and Cuse wins out you have a 3 way tie and I believe it then goes to the highest ranked team

I didn't realize you were clairvoyant but since you are, go ahead and tell us all what our final record is going to be this year so we can do away with the suspense. Imagine someone actually thinking that an SEC team could get into the 4 team playoff that way....I'm sure even if an undefeated Bama lost a real close SECX game to an undefeated UGA team they would have no chance, Ward told me so, end of statement.

I think the more likely scenario is an undefeated UGA team loses a close one to an undefeated Bama team and both get in. I think the other two teams more than likely come from the B1G and PAC12 or BIG12. And no I'm not a clairvoyant :)

LSU didn't beat Alabama for the SEC championship. (It was 2011, not 2012). They play in the same division. They beat Georgia in the title game. Also keep in mind, that was under the BCS system that involved computer rankings, vs. a selection committee now.
I was referring to the NC year of 2012, which of course follows the 2011 season. I realize it was the BCS, however, they were selecting only 2 teams in the entire nation to play in the championship game, whereas now there is a 4 team field. It only makes sense that any conference would have a greater chance to have 2 teams in a 4 team field than in a 2 team field.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't see anyone mention Notre Dame. I think Clemson needs one game of "help" to control their own destiny. An undefeated SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 champion would get in, and a 1-loss Notre Dame, would, too, given their schedule

Clemson is next in line after that if they win out. Also saw Washington mentioned a few times...they've already lost, and need more help than Clemson does, even if they run the table.

When I make a prediction, I might occasionally be incorrect, but I will never be mealy-mouthed.

How long before they do away with the conference championships so that there isn't any weirdness for the playoff committee to overcome?
They don't need to do away with conference championships, they need to go back to a 11 game schedule. 3 o.o.c. games a season is plenty, and if any team whines because they want to continue old rivalries then tough shyte...continue the rivalry or play a cupcake (unless of course the rival is now a cupcake!).

Then they can go to an 8 team playoff. I know many don't want that, but that's what eventually needs to happen to guarantee you get the best 4 in without error.

And before anyone whines "Why not just go to 96" or "there will be controversy over 6-8 and who gets left out" blah, blah, blah, it's not about who gets left out of 8...it's about making sure you get the TOP 4 teams and eliminating a committees ability to screw it up. And for those worried about "spoiler" teams knocking off a potential champion, well if they lose were they really a contender? And it's not like we're talking an extra game if they go back to an 11 game regular season, it's still 14 for the last 2 standing. And if you want to be one of those 2 you have to beat ALL the best. If you fail to do so against an extra top 10 team then you weren't really a contender to begin with.
If they have to (whoever is running it...the NCAA, bowl owners or whoever) sign an agreement to not go over 8 for 50 years to allow time to explore the ramifications.
But it needs to, and will at some point, go to 8 and make damn sure the top 4 are in there with no speculation over who the top 4 out of 5 conferences are. As of today there's too much room for error and it's all subjective.

Let the bashing begin...

Reactions: 92Pony and HI Cock
They don't need to do away with conference championships, they need to go back to a 11 game schedule. 3 o.o.c. games a season is plenty, and if any team whines because they want to continue old rivalries then tough shyte...continue the rivalry or play a cupcake (unless of course the rival is now a cupcake!).

Then they can go to an 8 team playoff. I know many don't want that, but that's what eventually needs to happen to guarantee you get the best 4 in without error.

And before anyone whines "Why not just go to 96" or "there will be controversy over 6-8 and who gets left out" blah, blah, blah, it's not about who gets left out of 8...it's about making sure you get the TOP 4 teams and eliminating a committees ability to screw it up. And for those worried about "spoiler" teams knocking off a potential champion, well if they lose were they really a contender? And it's not like we're talking an extra game if they go back to an 11 game regular season, it's still 14. And if you want to be at the top you have to beat ALL the best. If you fail to do so against an extra top 10 team then you weren't really a contender to begin with.
If they have to (whoever is running it...the NCAA or bowl owners) sign an agreement to not go over 8 for 50 years to allow time to explore the ramifications.
But it needs to, and will at some point, go to 8 and make damn sure the top 4 are in there with no speculation over who the top 4 out of 5 conferences are. As of today there's too much room for error and it's all subjective.

Let the bashing begin...
I'd go so far as saying that, as long as you get the top TWO teams in the playoffs, validity is assured.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't see anyone mention Notre Dame. I think Clemson needs one game of "help" to control their own destiny. An undefeated SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 champion would get in, and a 1-loss Notre Dame, would, too, given their schedule

Clemson is next in line after that if they win out. Also saw Washington mentioned a few times...they've already lost, and need more help than Clemson does, even if they run the table.

Notre Dame needs UGA to lose twice though. The Bulldogs beat them head-to-head in South Bend. Plus, if UGA wins the East, they'll have an extra game on the Irish.

I don't think a team's rank at the time of a regular season game should play into the committee's decision. Only their rank, at the end of the season. So what if Clem plays 5 top 15 teams st the time of the game if they are unranked at the end of the season.

Yep.. what I was agreeing with

I don't think a team's rank at the time of a regular season game should play into the committee's decision. Only their rank, at the end of the season. So what if Clem plays 5 top 15 teams st the time of the game if they are unranked at the end of the season.
There is a modicum of logic to that. One must also take into account the physical health of a ranked opponent if it changes materially after the ranked opponent played the playoff-contending team to an extent that resulted in the ranked opponent incurring otherwise unlikely losses. That would only be fair.

You have no idea.
And you didn't answer my question.
I do have an idea. And I also believe that , with four teams to select to play for the national championship, pretty much any knowledgeable committee can pick four teams which include the two best in America. And as far as I'm concerned, if they can do that, they are home free. OK?

And now that I think about it, if only ONE of the four is the best in America, they are home free.

I do have an idea. And I also believe that , with four teams to select to play for the national championship, pretty much any knowledgeable committee can pick four teams which include the two best in America. And as far as I'm concerned, if they can do that, they are home free. OK?

And now that I think about it, if only ONE of the four is the best in America, they are home free.
OK, great. No oreason to even have a playoff then.
Just let the selection committee pick the champ...kinda like the old days when sports writers chose the NC.

How entertaining.

OK, great. No oreason to even have a playoff then.
Just let the selection committee pick the champ...kinda like the old days when sports writers chose the NC.

How entertaining.
The format calls for three games to be played featuring four teams. We could get a committee from this board to thrash it out and set a field consisting of the four best teams. They could conceivably miss on one of the four, but the overwhelming probability is that the most deserving team would be included among their picks, probably the two most deserving teams. Then let the games begin. The committee would have acquitted itself well.

Reactions: FJRTiger
I was referring to the NC year of 2012, which of course follows the 2011 season. I realize it was the BCS, however, they were selecting only 2 teams in the entire nation to play in the championship game, whereas now there is a 4 team field. It only makes sense that any conference would have a greater chance to have 2 teams in a 4 team field than in a 2 team field.

I agree with all those points, which is why the original comment was irrelevant.

The format calls for three games to be played featuring four teams. We could get a committee from this board to thrash it out and set a field consisting of the four best teams. They could conceivably miss on one of the four, but the overwhelming probability is that the most deserving team would be included among their picks, probably the two most deserving teams. Then let the games begin. The committee would have acquitted itself well.
An 8 game playoff would drastically increase the probability, which was my point to begin with.

I'm sorry you can realize this.

OK, not really.

An 8 game playoff would drastically increase the probability, which was my point to begin with.

I'm sorry you can realize this.

OK, not really.
I find expansion only desirable to tickle the fancies of more people. But astute people can get the right teams involved the way things are right now. I believe even some of us could make it happen if given the chance. As long as the single best team gets the chance and the others are legitimate contenders - fairly chosen, you don't have to widen the field. All you do by expanding the playoff is to increase the number of pretenders.

Last edited:
12-1, ACC Champion, with wins over (probably) five Top 15 teams... They’d most certainly still be in.

What top 15 teams??? Louisville has dropped out of rankings. Auburn is still a very good team, but lost this weekend. If they are lucky, Miami will remain undefeated and they beat them in ACC champ. And FSU in unranked

Reactions: cockofdawn
I think if UGA were to be 12-0 and then lose to Alabama in the SECCG, then the Dawgs are out barring a crazy season where the other conference champions had two losses. That said, if UGA were to hand Alabama their only loss in the SECCG, however unlikely that seems, then there's a very real chance of both getting invited.

I think if UGA were to be 12-0 and then lose to Alabama in the SECCG, then the Dawgs are out barring a crazy season where the other conference champions had two losses. That said, if UGA were to hand Alabama their only loss in the SECCG, however unlikely that seems, then there's a very real chance of both getting invited.
So if Georgia loses to us and at Auburn, then beats Kentucky (and Kentucky loses at least one more), we are East Champs. Not likely, but college football is strange at times.

I find expansion only desirable to tickle the fancies of more people. But astute people can get the right teams involved the way things are right now. I believe even some of us could make it happen if given the chance. As long as the single best team gets the chance and the others are legitimate contenders - fairly chosen, you don't have to widen the field. All you do by expanding the playoff is to increase the number of pretenders.
And this reply brings us for circle. So again I'll ask you...how do you know who the best team is?
Answer: You don't.

Unless you have a group of teams that have played identical schedules you don't know. There's no possible way to know. The only way to know is head-to-head.

I don't believe it has happened yet but by only picking 4, you can possibly leave the best team out. Going to 8 doesn't guarantee anything, but it increasing the odds of getting it right.
A group of people sitting around determining which 4 get in is not the best scenario.

If they win out I suspect they'd still get in...regardless of what any of us think or want
If the committee wants them in they'll put them in. A second loss will make it impossible to understand if they slide them in then even if they win the ACC, but they'll overlook THIS loss like they did the Pitt loss last year IMO!

And this reply brings us for circle. So again I'll ask you...how do you know who the best team is?

Unless you have a group of teams that have played identical schedules you don't know. There's no possible way to know. The only way to know is head-to-head.

I don't believe it has happened yet but by only picking 4, you can possibly leave the best team out. Going to 8 doesn't guarantee anything, but it increasing the odds of getting it right.
A group of people sitting around determining which 4 get in is not the best scenario.
Basically, what you're saying and I agree, they need a REAL playoff system. This 4-team thing is mostly determined by who sits on the selection committee and what THEY want! The SOS doesn't even seem to count anymore!

Good Lord. We don't need anymore teams. Bama could be undefeated, beat UGA in the state of Georgia, win the SEC title and Bama's reward is to have to play UGA again to win the national title. And that's a possibility with 4 teams. If we add 4 more teams, then UGA is definitely getting in. How many games are we going to make Bama play before we crown them national champs? Plus, if we had 8 teams, then UGA and Clemson would both certainly get in with 1 loss, maybe even 2 losses. Why would any Gamecock fan want that? If you don't like the current system, then you're never going to be happy. Let's dump the whole **** thing and go back to the bowls.

If the committee wants them in they'll put them in. A second loss will make it impossible to understand if they slide them in then even if they win the ACC, but they'll overlook THIS loss like they did the Pitt loss last year IMO!
Are you saying Clemson shouldn't have been in the playoff last year because of the Pitt loss?

I do not agree that you are going to leave the best team out by only picking four. It would take a group of absolute buffoons to do that. The best team will be among those who most evidence premier proficiency during the the regular season and conference championship weekend. You'd have to work hard not to include the best team in the four that are picked at the end of that process. You might not get four best, but you will get the best and I'd say the best two..

Right now NC State leads the division. If both Clemson beats NC state(assuming State wins their other games) and Cuse wins out you have a 3 way tie and I believe it then goes to the highest ranked team
Cuse and NCST still have to play so that won't happen.

They should go back to 11 game regular season. Then the power 5 conference champs get an automatic bid. If one of the other 5 conference champs is ranked in the top 15, they get an automatic bid also. Then fill the remaining 2 or 3 slots with the highest ranked non-conference champs, as chosen by the committee. The committee seeds the 8 teams.

They should go back to 11 game regular season. Then the power 5 conference champs get an automatic bid. If one of the other 5 conference champs is ranked in the top 15, they get an automatic bid also. Then fill the remaining 2 or 3 slots with the highest ranked non-conference champs, as chosen by the committee. The committee seeds the 8 teams.
^^^This^^^

Reactions: LazyIslander
It would be interesting to see valid reasoning for 60+ teams to forgo between $500K and $750K in revenue for dropping a home game. That's what the 11 game theory is up against.

Reactions: rogue cock
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT