ADVERTISEMENT

The 1914 Miracle Braves and the 2021 Atlanta Braves

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
For you baseball history buffs the two teams have some great similarities. Sucky first half
1914 Braves were in last place on July 4 2021 Braves 41-44 on July 6.

Mid season trades that changed the team. A pitching rotation that caught fire and playing an “unbeatable” opponent in the WS.

Greenville native Red Smith was on the team. Hit .310 for the season. An Alabama Polytechnical College grad....Auburn. Couldn’t keep-’em instate even back then. Broke his leg on the last day of the season and couldn’t play in the WS. Never got back to a WS
Here is a link.....Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Good reads.

It's amazing that the Braves, one of the oldest franchises in US (North American) professional baseball, have but three World Series titles as of this writing - the 1914, win described here, the 1957 win vs the Yankees (probably the height of Milwaukee's honeymoon with the Braves), and the "rematch" of 1948, by beating the Cleveland Indians in 1995.

Reactions: winloseortie
The Braves won 88 games in the regular season and entered the playoffs having lost two key players, and the other night, lost a starting picture. If they pull this off, it will be one of the greatest achievements of all time in my estimation. But it's too early to celebrate.

Good reads.

It's amazing that the Braves, one of the oldest franchises in US (North American) professional baseball, have but three World Series titles as of this writing - the 1914, win described here, the 1957 win vs the Yankees (probably the height of Milwaukee's honeymoon with the Braves), and the "rematch" of 1948, by beating the Cleveland Indians in 1995.
The 57 Braves had Aaron, Adcock, Matthews, Spahn, Burdette, Johnny Logan, a future manager Red Schondiest, a future announcer Ernie Johnson.

But the sparks that lit the flames were two unknowns. Laurens native Bob “Hurricane” Hazle (named after Hurricane Hazel that struck SC in 54) who only played 101 career games in the majors. He was a late season call up from AAA who played in 41 games but hit .403 with an OPS of 1.203. Bob retired to Columbia and died here in 92 without seeing the 95 series. AND YES BOB HAZLE WAS A WOFFORD GRAD!!!!!!!!

The other was the unknown Nippy Jones. I’ll just cut and paste

Jones is remembered for being involved in a controversial "shoe polish incident" in the 1957 Fall Classic. He pinch hit in Games 1 and 3, grounding out both times. Both of those games were won by the Yankees. Game 4 went into extra innings, and when the Yankees took a 5–4 lead in the tenth, the Braves were looking at the possibility of falling three games to one in the series.[3]

Jones led off the Milwaukee half of the tenth inning, pinch hitting for Warren Spahn. He jumped back from a low pitch that home plate umpire Augie Donatelli called a ball. Jones protested that it had hit his foot, and he was awarded first base after showing Donatelli a shoe polish mark on the ball to prove it. Yankees manager Casey Stengelvehemently protested the call, but to no avail.[4] The Braves scored three runs in the tenth, including a two-run home run by Eddie Mathews to end the game and even the series at two games apiece.[5]The play was the turning point in the series, as the Braves went on to win the series in seven games.[4]

Yogi Berra was the catcher and tried to hide the ball but Jones snatched it out of Berra’s mitt and thrust it in Donatelli’s face.
Nobody ever again teased Jones about shining his shoes before every game

Last edited:
The 57 Braves had Aaron, Adcock, Matthews, Spahn, Burdette, Johnny Logan, a future manager Red Schondiest, a future announcer Ernie Johnson.

But the sparks that lit the flames were two unknowns. Laurens native Bob “Hurricane” Hazle (named after Hurricane Hazel that struck SC in 54) who only played 101 career games in the majors. He was a late season call up from AAA who played in 41 games but hit .403 with an OPS of 1.203. Bob retired to Columbia and died here in 92 without seeing the 95 series

Jones is remembered for being involved in a controversial "shoe polish incident" in the 1957 Fall Classic. He pinch hit in Games 1 and 3, grounding out both times. Both of those games were won by the Yankees. Game 4 went into extra innings, and when the Yankees took a 5–4 lead in the tenth, the Braves were looking at the possibility of falling three games to one in the series.[3]

Jones led off the Milwaukee half of the tenth inning, pinch hitting for Warren Spahn. He jumped back from a low pitch that home plate umpire Augie Donatelli called a ball. Jones protested that it had hit his foot, and he was awarded first base after showing Donatelli a shoe polish mark on the ball to prove it. Yankees manager Casey Stengelvehemently protested the call, but to no avail.[4] The Braves scored three runs in the tenth, including a two-run home run by Eddie Mathews to end the game and even the series at two games apiece.[5]The play was the turning point in the series, as the Braves went on to win the series in seven games.[4]
The Braves team that moved to Atlanta still featured several of the elements mentioned in that post, although they were getting older. They really were fun to watch and Milo Hamilton was fun to listen to. Lots of televised road games back then, also. The South was lucky to acquire such a solid organization as its first Major League representation.

But the sparks that lit the flames were two unknowns. Laurens native Bob “Hurricane” Hazle (named after Hurricane Hazel that struck SC in 54) who only played 101 career games in the majors. He was a late season call up from AAA who played in 41 games but hit .403 with an OPS of 1.203. Bob retired to Columbia and died here in 92 without seeing the 95 series. AND YES BOB HAZLE WAS A WOFFORD GRAD!!!!!!!!

Yogi Berra was the catcher and tried to hide the ball but Jones snatched it out of Berra’s mitt and thrust it in Donatelli’s face.
Nobody ever again teased Jones about shining his shoes before every game
I met “Hurricane” Hazle in a small card shop just outside of Clemson back in the late 80’s. I was a huge Braves fan but unfortunately didn’t know who he was at the time. Wish I had. I remember the owner talking about him and how he got hit in the face the following Spring and was never the same after that.

The Braves won 88 games in the regular season and entered the playoffs having lost two key players, and the other night, lost a starting picture. If they pull this off, it will be one of the greatest achievements of all time in my estimation. But it's too early to celebrate.
For you baseball history buffs the two teams have some great similarities. Sucky first half
1914 Braves were in last place on July 4 2021 Braves 41-44 on July 6.

Mid season trades that changed the team. A pitching rotation that caught fire and playing an “unbeatable” opponent in the WS.

Greenville native Red Smith was on the team. Hit .310 for the season. An Alabama Polytechnical College grad....Auburn. Couldn’t keep-’em instate even back then. Broke his leg on the last day of the season and couldn’t play in the WS. Never got back to a WS
Here is a link.....Enjoy!!

Nice.

Hey to loose what we did & even get this far is a miracle. Anthopoulos has to be GM of yr!
In a way this reminds me of ‘67 BoSox, just need 1 more😄

Reactions: king ward
I can’t ever remember seeing anything like it, soroka, ozuna and acuna, that’s your #1 starter and two of your top 5 hitters! Your starting catcher missed 100 games, also anderson missed several starts and ynoa was really hot when he went out! Pretty amazing if you ask me! Alex Anthopoulos really did a great job at the deadline!

I am a Braves fan, but watching this series has made me realize how bad Major League Baseball is now from an offensive standpoint. The 2 best teams in baseball started a washed up veteran in Greinke, and a never used reliever in GAME 4 OF The FREAKIN’ WORLD SERIES. Then the Braves brought in a guy who pitched 5 innings in the big leagues all year. He pitched about 5 innings last night. Only 5 runs scored in the game. So many swing and misses. Astros down 1 run in the 9th, and the lead off man is facing a shift. Riley is pretty much playing short. No effort to bunt or go the other way. Everyone is uppercutting on every swing. The late 90s early 2000 Yankees would kill these teams with patience, moving runners, and making contact. All fundamentals of winning close playoff games.

Reactions: Cybercock
I am a Braves fan, but watching this series has made me realize how bad Major League Baseball is now from an offensive standpoint. The 2 best teams in baseball started a washed up veteran in Greinke, and a never used reliever in GAME 4 OF The FREAKIN’ WORLD SERIES. Then the Braves brought in a guy who pitched 5 innings in the big leagues all year. He pitched about 5 innings last night. Only 5 runs scored in the game. So many swing and misses. Astros down 1 run in the 9th, and the lead off man is facing a shift. Riley is pretty much playing short. No effort to bunt or go the other way. Everyone is uppercutting on every swing. The late 90s early 2000 Yankees would kill these teams with patience, moving runners, and making contact. All fundamentals of winning close playoff games.
I think baseball expanded beyond the premier talent pool. Probably football has done the same. I can't speak to the NBA in that I don't even watch highlights of that league. Baseball lowered the mound to help hitters and adopted the DH, one of which diminished the game, and the other of which profaned it.

Reactions: atl-cock
Hey to loose what we did & even get this far is a miracle. Anthopoulos has to be GM of yr!
In a way this reminds me of ‘67 BoSox, just need 1 more😄
Hope it works out better than it did for the BoSox. I was pulling hard for them. Heartbreaking loss in the Series to a great Cardinal team. Both of those teams were better than either of these, but it is what it is.

I think baseball expanded beyond the premier talent pool. Probably football has done the same. I can't speak to the NBA in that I don't even watch highlights of that league.
Same with the NBA. No fundamentals in any game anymore. It’s all about the entertainment factor now.

Reactions: Cybercock
I think baseball expanded beyond the premier talent pool. Probably football has done the same. I can't speak to the NBA in that I don't even watch highlights of that league. Baseball lowered the mound to help hitters and adopted the DH, one of which diminished the game, and the other of which profaned it.
Now, why drag ‘60 & ‘62 into this😂

The Braves team that moved to Atlanta still featured several of the elements mentioned in that post, although they were getting older. They really were fun to watch and Milo Hamilton was fun to listen to. Lots of televised road games back then, also. The South was lucky to acquire such a solid organization as its first Major League representation.
I guess Houston doesn't qualify as the South, even though the Colt 45s debuted in 1962.

I'm no fan of interleague play. I think it diminishes the World Series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT