ADVERTISEMENT

The basketball program is definitely on the way up

trae172001

Dec 28, 2006
Warner Robins GA
It's so easy to see. Even the broadcasters are giving our program props. I have and will always will enjoy
watching the basketball team, but boy it's getting really fun. Watch out for next seasons team...They are
going to be very good! We have ourselves a basketball coach!!!

Originally posted by trae172001:

It's so easy to see. Even the broadcasters are giving our program props. I have and will always will enjoy
watching the basketball team, but boy it's getting really fun. Watch out for next seasons team...They are

Cock Hudson Blacklisted.
This post was edited on 3/5 11:07 PM by uscbeckham

To begin the game the broadcasters went on and on about the near future of this basketball program...

There's no doubt that we have a heck of a basketball coach. Right man for the job... You'd have to be lost on the game to not see that.

LOL, tonight was another example of bigger issues. Our guys lose confidence and don't finish games, plus playing the last home game why wait until halftime to start playing. I think the guys are afraid of making mistakes in the last 5 minutes and coming to the bench to see frank.

To begin the game the broadcasters went on and on about the near future of this basketball program...

There's no doubt that we have a heck of a basketball coach. Right man for the job... You'd have to be lost on the game to not see that.

Cock Hudson Blacklisted
This post was edited on 3/5 11:07 PM by uscbeckham

Originally posted by gcock5:
didn't we say the same thing this time last year?
I didn't. I said we were two years away. It's going to take time to get guys to believe in USC basketball enough to come here and play. We are a state that doesn't produce the greatest basketball talent, and don't have the prestige to go out of state and convince guys to come to USC... It's amazing that coach has made the guys he brought in his first year playing as well as they are. We were largely out "talented" tonight, but these guys have progressed well enough to play with those guys. I know some people here don't know basketball, but anyone that does knows we have a heck of a coach... It's that simple...

We are now 14-39 in SEC play under Martin. At this pace of "improvement", we'll be an NCAA Tourney team in 6-7 years.

Yes- we played decent at the end of the year last year so plenty of Gamecock fans were saying this team should be improved next year.

We weren't improved this year. We started off pretty decent, then folded badly in conference play- as usual.

Originally posted by gcock5:
didn't we say the same thing this time last year?

Did you copy and paste this from a post at the end of last season?

You touted and tooted the Martin horn with the same BS last season.

I agree. Tough close loses this year. But look at the progress that the Lithuanian kids have made. This defense is solid. We just need to be patient.

Copy and paste post from March 2014. 2013. 2012, etc

Originally posted by AngloCock:

I agree. Tough close loses this year. But look at the progress that the Lithuanian kids have made. This defense is solid. We just need to be patient.

Don't those "Bumper Stickers" go on sale every year around the 1st of March? I hope so, because my old one on my bumper is looking pretty bad right now.

Originally posted by AngloCock:
True, the SEC is as tough as it's been in a while, and we've hung with most teams. Last years team wouldn't have done so. The team from two years ago would be dead last in the SEC. You'd have to know basketball to see the improvement, but there's no doubt, this program has improved a lot. Just need a few more additions, and Martin will have us in it for years to come...That's easy to see...

True, the SEC is as tough as it's been in a while, and we've hung with most teams. Last years team wouldn't have done so. The team from two years ago would be dead last in the SEC. You'd have to know basketball to see the improvement, but there's no doubt, this program has improved a lot. Just need a few more additions, and Martin will have us in it for years to come...That's easy to see...
Cock Hudson Blacklisted.
This post was edited on 3/5 11:06 PM by uscbeckham

Yes- you defintely do have to "know basketball" to be able to see the difference in crapping away leads late in the game this year- as opposed to other years.

you really have to "know basketball" to avoid talking about how a certain very experienced player made several big mistakes late in the game tonight.

Same wins overall and in conference as of last year. Where's the improvement again?

Stroman was the only freshmen to see significant playing time, the rest of were seasoned and experienced players. Where was the improvement again?

The excuse used to be we were young, after that excuse couldn't be used it was we don't have the talent.

It's amazing how exceptional coaches can take 2 & 3 stars and are capable of atleast a winning season.

Originally posted by AgnosticTrollCock:
Same wins overall and in conference as of last year. Where's the improvement again?

Stroman was the only freshmen to see significant playing time, the rest of were seasoned and experienced players. Where was the improvement again?

The excuse used to be we were young, after that excuse couldn't be used it was we don't have the talent.

It's amazing how exceptional coaches can take 2 & 3 stars and are capable of atleast a winning season.
Strictly speaking, we could still have a winning season. Beat Tennessee and we're at 0.500 (and also have more overall and conference wins than last year), then make the SEC quarterfinals and we're guaranteed to be one game over.

It could happen. Outside of UK, there's no one in the conference that's unbeatable for us. Even if we don't win Saturday, we're still likely to have more overall wins because we'd play Mizzou on the first day of the SEC tournament.

I usually agree with your posts bro, but I believe you will see an entirely different team next season with Dozier and Bunch in the mix. When is the last time we got a McDonalds All American and a center at 6'11 with that size as a high school senior?

If Trae had his way we'd have Horn locked into a lifetime contract. Thus this unfounded optimism in floundering coaches is nothing new.

Post-season or bust for Martin next year.

Originally posted by TrailerParkBoy:

I usually agree with your posts bro, but I believe you will see an entirely different team next season with Dozier and Bunch in the mix. When is the last time we got a McDonalds All American and a center at 6'11 with that size as a high school senior?
We were supposed to be much improved with Notice, Henry, and Sindarius having experience. Plus, add on Martin's first recruiting class and time under his tutelage, this team was supposed to much improved according to many on here. 's.

This post was edited on 3/5 11:13 PM by AgnosticTrollCock

We may not know how to win yet, but at least we have a coach that at least makes sure they are going to learn how to play good fundamental basketball. I think this year we finally got big improvement in the fundamentals. One step at a time. I've seen good basketball, which is something that couldn't be said since Devin Downey was here.

This post was edited on 3/5 11:31 PM by ReadR00ster

We have improved each year Frank has been here. Are we where I'd like to be? Nowhere close, but it takes time. We will improve a bit more next season with the arrival of Dozier and Silva and the return of the injured freshmen.

Originally posted by Vincent Hanna:
If Trae had his way we'd have Horn locked into a lifetime contract. Thus this unfounded optimism in floundering coaches is nothing new.

Post-season or bust for Martin next year.
Hahaha, exactly. He thought Horn was the right guy for the job and thought he needed more years. Zero credibility for the OP.

You'd have to be lost on the game to not see that. ... You'd have to know basketball to see the improvement ...
You certainly have a right to your opinion, but since you were one of the vocal proponents of keeping Horn as basketball coach -- don't deny it, because people remember -- you ought to dispense with the attitude that people who disagree with you are stupid about basketball. You lost all credibility a few years ago on that score.

Wait till next year!!!

Hilarious.

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:
We may not know how to win yet, but at least we have a coach that at least makes sure they are going to learn how to play good fundamental basketball. I think this year we finally got big improvement in the fundamentals. One step at a time. I've seen good basketball, which is something that couldn't be said since Devin Downey was here.

Is shooting not fundamental to basketball? I haven't seen much improvement there.

This team is nowhere near Horn's teams. Much, much better.

We are competitive. Now we just need a shooter or two to finish games for us. I am hoping Dozier is that guy.

Our recruiting is about as good as its ever been. I also feel we are really close to turning the corner.

I have been extremely disappointed with our season since January. I saw flashes of a really good team before January and flashes here and there during conference play but it is just really inconsistent, especially in the last 5 minutes of games. What has happened to Thornwell confuses me. He was much better last year than this year. However, other guys on our team are much better this year than they were last year.

I am expecting (mostly hoping) that next season we are competing for second place in the East. Honestly think we are that close.

Originally posted by sully2:

This team is nowhere near Horn's teams. Much, much better.

We are competitive. Now we just need a shooter or two to finish games for us. I am hoping Dozier is that guy.

Our recruiting is about as good as its ever been. I also feel we are really close to turning the corner.

I have been extremely disappointed with our season since January. I saw flashes of a really good team before January and flashes here and there during conference play but it is just really inconsistent, especially in the last 5 minutes of games. What has happened to Thornwell confuses me. He was much better last year than this year. However, other guys on our team are much better this year than they were last year.

I am expecting (mostly hoping) that next season we are competing for second place in the East. Honestly think we are that close.
Dude, there haven't been divisions in basketball for several years now.

Originally posted by DarkCock:
Originally posted by ReadR00ster:

Is shooting not fundamental to basketball? I haven't seen much improvement there.
It's a skill that can't be improved too much by coaching. That is something that is totally up to player to work on hours and hours a day and still improvement is not guaranteed. It still doesn't change the fact that you need everyone to play good defense, The rebounders need to do their job, ball movement needs to be able to make defenses work. That stuff all has to be sorted out first before you worry about what kind of shooters you have.

This post was edited on 3/6 11:35 AM by ReadR00ster

Born absolutely should have been given more time. If nothing else for the good of the program. We can't expect coaches to come here if we don't allow for time to improve the program. I'm not ashamed at all for saying Horn should be given more time. It was the right thing to do. Luckily we got Martin and he's a better coach than Born for sure

I never called anyone stupid.

To the poster that wants me to think back to figure out who you are. You're nkt that important to me. Heck, you have a new handle so that says enough about you from the get go. That's just funny that you think I'd think enough of you or your opinion to remember you. Maybe give some good input and that will change. At this point, not so much.

Never cried to the mods.

Many value my opinion. Maybe you don't but I don't care one way or the other.

I haven't changed anything. Proudly I did say Horn needed more time.

I don't know who this Lenny is, but if he's been successful, has a great career, a beautiful wife, beautiful kids, and a great future then Lenny is doing alright for himself, and shouldn't worry to much with the opinions such as yours and a few others.

That's all I have left to say on this issue.

This post was edited on 3/6 12:29 PM by trae172001

Originally posted by Ruger .44:

Born absolutely should have been given more time. If nothing else for the good of the program. We can't expect coaches to come here if we don't allow for time to improve the program. I'm not ashamed at all for saying Horn should be given more time. It was the right thing to do. Luckily we got Martin and he's a better coach than Born for sure

I never called anyone stupid.

To the poster that wants me to think back to figure out who you are. You're nkt that important to me. Heck, you have a new handle so that says enough about you from the get go. That's just funny that you think I'd think enough of you or your opinion to remember you. Maybe give some good input and that will change. At this point, not so much.
Later dude, nice not knowing you........
This post was edited on 3/6 1:32 PM by uscbeckham

DarkCock, correct. Senior moment. Point being, besides UK, there isn't any team in the SEC that we cant beat or finish better than in conference with just a little more improvement.

Not going to agree with trae on Horn. He was terrible and should have never been hired.

I see an actual basketball team with Frank as our coach. Just one that struggles to finish and is in dire need of some shooters.

Well. this thread has devolved into name calling and a pissing contest. I see a team that plays hard but is undertalented. They lack a consistent outside scorer who can make teams pay for playing zone. Crowd the paint and you probably can handle us. I also see a team that hustles and plays to the end. They can't get rid of the snake bit feeling of playing not to lose. Some of you may have never played competitive sports but playing like that is a recipe for losing. It takes time to learn to win and to depend on each other to win. We have no one confident of shooting the 3. So we pass the ball around the outside and take a crappy shot at the buzzer. That is not Frank's fault, that is the shooters confidence. The only way to get better is to put in the hours in the gym practicing. Our big Laimonous, can he even dunk? two feet from the basket, he should just be nasty and slam it home even if the defenders arm goes through the basket too.

Give Frank this recruiting class and see if there is improvement. If not , Ray needs to evaluate and make some plans accordingly. and guys...can't we just all get along without all the rancor?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT