ADVERTISEMENT

The battle flag is coming down

CAIN#

Oct 14, 1999
Today or tomorrow.

Does everyone here agree it was time for this to happen?

I don't care either way. How can a flag be the answer to all the country's problems? I don't hear anyone hollering about Mississippi's flag - the confederate flag is actually embedded in that state flag.

You got Congressmen trying to outlaw the placement of the flag on the graves of Confederate Soldiers

I too am just tired of hearing about it and have become numb to it all. If I had to pick a side, I'd prefer it stay, but what's now done is done and I hope the subject will now go away.

What I do know, though, is that this will change absolutely NOTHING in this state/country with regard to race problems, or problems within the black race - NOTHING.

I will look for the positives though - Hopefully now the stoopid NCAA will remove their boycott of our state, and our athletics and economy can benefit. Also that will be one less negative as it relates to athletic recruiting.

The earliest the CLA could host NCAA men's tournament games is 2019; 2016-2018 sites have already been booked.

Person 1: "Man, I hope they take the flag down. It's way overdue."

Person 2: "Oh yeah, it will totally change everything and make our lives completely perfect and wonderful!"

Person 1: "I never really said that, but it is a good starting point in the state."

Person 2: "HAHA okay whatever lib, let me go post about your idiocy on FGF or even small talk!"

I don't care either way. How can a flag be the answer to all the country's problems? I don't hear anyone hollering about Mississippi's flag - the confederate flag is actually embedded in that state flag.

You don't listen to things outside your own little pond very much do you?

But then I have nearly 26,000 posts - and no likes.

It was past time to take it down. It was a symbol that would always divide our state and cause others to look down on us. For the African Americans in our state I would say 90% of them are offended by the flag and having it flying over the capitol building would always rub them in a bad way. I'm not even African American and it made me feel bad. It won't solve everything but it is a step in the right direction.

Today or tomorrow.

Yeah dropping the flag will solve it all. It could be the end of all hate world wide now that the Confederate flag no longer waves. It's a never ending cycle that will not end until even the color gray is abolished. How many of the dozens of blacks in Chicago were killed by other blacks waving that racist flag? Count with me....0. USA is now the land of the offended or at least the land of pretending to be offended. Close Gettysburg and make a tractor pull out of the battle field all that Confederate merchandise sold in town offends me and my dog.

Taking it down will not end racism.

Taking it down will not erase the heritage and the pride of people who want to honor their ancestors.

Taking it down will ease the pain many of SC's citizens feel every time they see that flag.

The choice is quite simple.
I've live in SC all my life and have never met anyone in pain after seeing the flag. It's a piece of fabric on a pole. Jeepers

It will just be something else that people cry about, probably the American Flag.

So, this is gonna' help recruiting. Right?

Sure as hell won't hurt it, either and believe this: those clowns at Tater Tech have been using it against us for years while screaming 'Heritage; Not Hate'. However, THEIR time on the social justice hot seat is just beginning - 'Hello, World - meet Mr. Ben Tillman!' LOL!

I don't think anyone expects it to end racism. It was a good will gesture and brings us to the 21st century realm of things. If we didn't act it would have become too controversial for us to attract investments that will drive our economy. Michelin, BMW, Boeing and a host of others had called for it's removal. Those are heavy hitters and to ignore that would impact future investments. The issue never came up before in investment talks but it would have put it on the front burner or companies would stop considering South Carolina all together. It wouldn't be worth it to them for the bad press it would receive outside of South Carolina. I had no hate or love for the flag but removing it was the right thing to do.....for our children's economic future.

Today or tomorrow.

Yes, I agree. I have no problem with flags in front of peoples' houses, on their cars, on their belt buckles, whatever, but it did not belong in front of the seat of legislation and representation for the state of South Carolina.

Will it solve all of our problems? Of course not. But it's a start.

Am quietly rejoicing at it coming down. In hindsight wish Gov. Haley had signed the bill at 2AM and taken it down immediately.

I have no desire to see the possible circus with one side chanting take it down and the other side singing Dixie.
Like many things we have had to endure, we will need to bear with it. I want it to be retired openly with dignity, not as if what our legislature and many South Carolinians were wanting was something sneaky and wrong. I have as many ancestors as do many of you who served on both sides in the war, but that is the past. Now is the present, tomorrow the future.

Like many things we have had to endure, we will need to bear with it. I want it to be retired openly with dignity, not as if what our legislature and many South Carolinians were wanting was something sneaky and wrong. I have as many ancestors as do many of you who served on both sides in the war, but that is the past. Now is the present, tomorrow the future.
I too would like it done with dignity but am skeptical of this being possible. Would rather it be a nonevent than have it being a platform for idiots of all stripes

They are telling us that this is a step toward healing and unity in SC. Really? Can anyone explain to me how enacting legislation that is so divisive to so many will bring about unity? It seems to me it will be the opposite. It seems to me that we will be more divided than ever.

They are telling us that this is a step toward healing and unity in SC. Really? Can anyone explain to me how enacting legislation that is so divisive to so many will bring about unity? It seems to me it will be the opposite. It seems to me that we will be more divided than ever.

You see this legislation as divisive. No one will ever be able to explain anything to you given your line of thinking.

You're imagining the divisiveness. There is a contingent of "good ol boys" still in this state but it is getting smaller. This is the sign of them "good ol boys" days running the state finally being over. Yeah some will be angry and whine about it for a while, but when they realize no one is listening to them anymore they will give up. Patience.

Taking it down will not end racism.

Taking it down will not erase the heritage and the pride of people who want to honor their ancestors.

Taking it down will ease the pain many of SC's citizens feel every time they see that flag.

The choice is quite simple.
one step at a time.

Leaving it up there won't fix anything, that is for sure.
That flag didn't pull the trigger. Just like a gun doesn't go off by itself. But getting some people to understand that is impossible. It'll just be something else the weak will cave too, count on it.

Reactions: 92Pony
Those morons have planned a removal ceremony tomorrow at 10:00.....the State House grounds could get real, real ugly.....arguments, fights, riots....only God knows what will happen. STUPID DECISION.

You see this legislation as divisive. No one will ever be able to explain anything to you given your line of thinking.
It's not how I see it, it is how it is. Just look at the polls. When over 50% of the population disagree, that is pretty damn divisive. How do you NOT see it as divisive? How do you see it as unifying? Do you think all those people who were against it are going to suddenly say, "oh well, since it passed, now I changed my mind and think it is a good idea"? Let's all sing Kum Ba Yah!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT